Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Patti LuPone Regales Andy Cohen With Very Patti LuPone Opinions on Barbra Streisand and Glenn Close

I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread on this yet, (and yes, I searched).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297May 4, 2020 10:19 PM

Her kitchen looks very basic and she needs to polish that stainless steel refrigerator; it has fingerprint smudges on it.

by Anonymousreply 1April 28, 2020 7:30 PM

Did DL's Patti LuPone fans appreciate her appearances in "Penny Dreadful" as Joan Clayton and Dr. Seward?

by Anonymousreply 2April 28, 2020 7:30 PM

She is the real deal.....She is a diva for life and eternity. Love her.

by Anonymousreply 3April 28, 2020 7:31 PM

BART SIMPSON: (chuckles) She's such a bitch!

by Anonymousreply 4April 28, 2020 7:32 PM

If they can use technology to have Barbra Streisand play Momma Rose, could they use whatever appearance for her they wanted? Instead of having her younger, they could have her look like Ethel Merman, or Marilyn Monroe, or Jabba the Hutt!

by Anonymousreply 5April 28, 2020 7:39 PM

I love her after seeing that. So authentic.

by Anonymousreply 6April 28, 2020 7:41 PM

Please God, yes. Barbara Streisand as Jabba The Hutt (with perfect nails) would allow me to die a happy, gay Star Wars nerd.

by Anonymousreply 7April 28, 2020 7:44 PM

[quote] Did DL's Patti LuPone fans appreciate her appearances in "Penny Dreadful" as Joan Clayton and Dr. Seward?

Yes. She was especially discussed as the Cunt Wife.

by Anonymousreply 8April 28, 2020 8:00 PM

One thing I will give Patti credit for: her years in theater taught her how to apply her own makeup: so while it's quite heavy, she at least looks decent.

I have been amazed since the shutdown started how many people apparently do not know how to do their own makeup. Nancy Pelosi seems to have a small child draw her eyebrows as perfect semi-circles.

by Anonymousreply 9April 28, 2020 8:02 PM

Wait. Does this mean Patti knows Barbra? Better question, does this mean Barbra knows who Patti LuPone IS?

by Anonymousreply 10April 28, 2020 8:07 PM

ISay what you want about my Barbra. We will see have Pattis voice sounds at 78.

by Anonymousreply 11April 28, 2020 8:32 PM

[quote] ISay what you want about my Barbra. We will see have Pattis voice sounds at 78

?

by Anonymousreply 12April 28, 2020 8:34 PM

R11, IXNAY on the OSTLAY

by Anonymousreply 13April 28, 2020 8:36 PM

Excuse me, that should be IXNAY on the OSTPAY

by Anonymousreply 14April 28, 2020 8:37 PM

The Hutts of Tattooine would not appreciate that.

Forget having you ejected into space. We'll have you encased in carbonite for such an insult.

by Anonymousreply 15April 28, 2020 8:38 PM

That still doesn't make sense, r14.

I think you and r11 better give up on the daydrinking.

by Anonymousreply 16April 28, 2020 8:38 PM

I’ll always love her for her “I hate the motherfucker” about Trump when he was first selected.

by Anonymousreply 17April 28, 2020 8:47 PM

Barbra is not going to like Patti saying she is "50 years" too old for the role.

That is hilariously shady.

If she'd just said, "too old," Barbra would have thought she meant 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 18April 28, 2020 8:55 PM

Such a hot take, R17. How daring of her to say what 50% of the country was already saying.

by Anonymousreply 19April 28, 2020 9:03 PM

Patti’s biggest problem in the business has been her mouth. She says what she thinks and then thinks. She is honest and sometimes it is a problem. Big fan of hers.

by Anonymousreply 20April 28, 2020 9:09 PM

What did she say about Glennie?

by Anonymousreply 21April 28, 2020 9:09 PM

Other things she said during the show:

--She walked out of musical CATS after the first act because it was so awful, and she wasn't surprised that the movie bombed.

--She trashed her Sunset Boulevard dressing room in London after being fired by ALW before a performance. She picked up a floor lamp and used it to smash everything in the dressing room, and then threw it out a second story window.

--She never saw Merman, Peters or Midler's performances in Gypsy.

--She got crabs twice during the '70s.

--She almost called Beyonce a "movie killer" but backed off and said she was okay. She doesn't like music stars who cross over into acting. She almost said the same about JLo, but again backed off.

by Anonymousreply 22April 28, 2020 9:09 PM

R22 After trashing her dressimg room she left and stayed away three days. She had to return and finish her run to be able to sue ALW for breaking the conract for a Broadway run. Think how difficult it must have been to return for final weeks and perform eight times a week.

by Anonymousreply 23April 28, 2020 9:13 PM

This is probably the most natural interview Cohen has ever done. I don't like him, but this setting/style actually works for him. This was better than "Plead the Fifth."

by Anonymousreply 24April 28, 2020 9:18 PM

[quote]What did she say about Glennie?

You can tell that she is NOT having Glenn.

She really wanted to dispel the story that they made up.

She said Glenn crashed her party. And made a play for John Hamm. And she told Hamm, "If you leave with her and fuck her, I will NEVER forgive you."

So things are still not good between them.

by Anonymousreply 25April 28, 2020 9:40 PM

She needs to move on from Glenn Close...unless she has proof that Glenn went out of her way to snag the role with some underhanded shady shit, Miss Patti needs to just stfu about that.

by Anonymousreply 26April 28, 2020 9:45 PM

Wow, she sure is a bitch. What's her beef with Streisand? Did she steal a role she was up for or something?

by Anonymousreply 27April 28, 2020 10:01 PM

I hope she is working on her memoirs.

by Anonymousreply 28April 28, 2020 10:15 PM

LOOOOOOOOOOOVE HER!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 29April 28, 2020 10:16 PM

R27 ALW didn’t allow Patti to sing big numbers from Sunset in her concert. They were planned to surprise audiences in theatre. Then he allowed Barbra to sing and release them on Back to Broadway album and he even co-produced them. He also put them to play on Adelphi theatre’s lines when people were waiting to buy tickets.

by Anonymousreply 30April 28, 2020 10:19 PM

What a shame. I missed that episode. Did Ms. LuPony find her consonants or was it all vowels, l night?

by Anonymousreply 31April 28, 2020 10:21 PM

Didn't Streisand also get the songs BEFORE Patti?

by Anonymousreply 32April 28, 2020 10:31 PM

She's such a deeply petty, hateful cunt.

LOVE HER!

by Anonymousreply 33April 28, 2020 10:36 PM

R28 Uh, Patti wrote her memoirs nearly a decade ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 28, 2020 11:17 PM

[quote]She's such a deeply petty, hateful cunt.

Seriously. There should be a plaster saint of her somewhere around this dump.

by Anonymousreply 35April 28, 2020 11:27 PM

'Barbra is not going to like Patti saying she is "50 years" too old for the role.'

You ain't kidding! Babs was insulted when Arthur Laurents asked to play Gypsy four years LATER - in 1974. That's because she was too YOUNG for the role, ha ha.

by Anonymousreply 36April 28, 2020 11:38 PM

Barbra recorded the two Sunset songs before the show even debuted. And then to add insult to injury, it was Streisand's versions that would be playing on the phone line when theatergoers in London ordered their tickets for Lupone. Plus, Babs made some catty comments about Evita and the "Argentina" song back in the day that probably ruffled Lupone's feathers. She's never been keen on Streisand and has made it a point to say that she wasn't influenced by her.

Regarding Glenn Close, Patti felt that Glenn should have reached out to her during the drama to let her know that she wasn't a part of it. I think Patti thought that Glenn knew about the switch while Patti was still playing in London and thus was complicit. It no doubt also pissed Patti off when Glenn opened to huge success in the States (and the show was HUGE) and critics fawned all over her. I don't think it was ever mentioned in the press for Glenna about Patti originating the role and she felt insulted.

And this is all before the Faye Dunaway fiasco! This show had a shit ton of drama at the time!

by Anonymousreply 37April 28, 2020 11:47 PM

Patti has problems with literally everyone, but especially other women. She's very insecure.

by Anonymousreply 38April 28, 2020 11:50 PM

She's bitter because I sang the part of Evita better than her.

by Anonymousreply 39April 28, 2020 11:51 PM

r37, please bring me up to speed on the Faye story, TIA

by Anonymousreply 40April 29, 2020 12:00 AM

Faye was dismissed from the LA production of Sunset, and wound up suing Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 29, 2020 12:02 AM

I can't stand her "singing", simply awful. Saw her in the 3 Penny Opera in LA, shrieking fishwife.

by Anonymousreply 42April 29, 2020 12:06 AM

Back, oh whenever, G used to come to Boston to date Cam Neeley, then with the Boston Bruins. I was at a restaurant and they were there and I asked a friend, What does a cool WASP serious actress with her pedigree see in a hockey player whose worldview must be somewhat limited by an entire life spent around hockey. My friend said, Neeley's got the biggest dick in New England."

So G wants to sit next to Jon Hamm. Is she a size queen?

by Anonymousreply 43April 29, 2020 12:14 AM

If Jon Hamm hanging out with Patti Lupone and Andrew Rannells, I don't think Glenn has much to hope for. If you know what I mean.

by Anonymousreply 44April 29, 2020 12:16 AM

On what grounds did Patti sue ALW? Had he promised the Broadway role to her in writing?

Critics were pretty universal in saying that while Patti could sing the role better, Glenn was infinitely the better actor in the part. Glenn was willing to make Norma a pitiable but genuine monster, while Patti could not play Norma as anything but a victim, which made the part not very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 45April 29, 2020 12:18 AM

[quote] shrieking fishwife

Cut Wife.

by Anonymousreply 46April 29, 2020 12:20 AM

Maybe Patti needs to up, her Prozac.

by Anonymousreply 47April 29, 2020 12:25 AM

R44 Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I didn't read the newspaper story that LuPone referred to, but I thought it interesting that she mentioned their names. Usually stars don't drop details like that in front of civilians. Never think that she doesn't say exactly what she wants to say and what she wants her audience to hear.

by Anonymousreply 48April 29, 2020 12:26 AM

R45 Patti signed a contract with Really Useful stating that she would open the show in London, and then move to New York. ALW violated her contract by allowing the lesser talented Glenn Close to open it on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 49April 29, 2020 12:29 AM

You're in show business. You would think she would be used to having your throat slit by now. She's in her 80s right?

by Anonymousreply 50April 29, 2020 12:31 AM

Anybody who disses G is ok in my book.

by Anonymousreply 51April 29, 2020 12:33 AM

[quote] Babs made some catty comments about Evita and the "Argentina" song back in the day that probably ruffled Lupone's feathers.

What did she say?

by Anonymousreply 52April 29, 2020 12:35 AM

R52 I believe she made comments about refusing to sing it because Eva Peron was a fascist. Though, in recent years, Patti has dissed the musical Evita all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 53April 29, 2020 12:47 AM

[quote] I can't stand her "singing", simply awful.

I'm not particular a fan myself but give her good material and she can run with it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54April 29, 2020 1:11 AM

For awhile I think they wanted Barbra to do movie version of Elvira and from what I gathered she wasn’t a big fan of the show

I saw Evita on Broadway what I remember most is patti winking at rich middle eastern men in the audience.

I’m sure Patti was Younger than springtime when she did Gypsy.

by Anonymousreply 55April 29, 2020 1:23 AM

R54 that clip makes me want to watch Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. .

Did that song mention Streisand and Hitler is the same sentence?

by Anonymousreply 56April 29, 2020 1:27 AM

Why is the late Martin Landau in Patti's kitchen?

by Anonymousreply 57April 29, 2020 1:33 AM

[quote]Though, in recent years, Patti has dissed the musical Evita all over the place.

Which is why she sang Argentina at the 2018 Grammys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58April 29, 2020 1:44 AM

[quote]For awhile I think they wanted Barbra to do movie version of Elvira

Must've been news to Cassandra Peterson.

by Anonymousreply 59April 29, 2020 1:45 AM

I've seen Patti in three shows and I think she is fantastic, she has that X factor, she's a STAR on stage.

"Babs made some catty comments about Evita"

Yeah, so what. She didn't like the fucking show or the song, so sue me. Patti has nothing to do with that.

"She's (Patti) never been keen on Streisand and has made it a point to say that she wasn't influenced by her."

Right. That's because around the time Evita was on B-way, reporters asked he about it. NO, Patti didn't copy Babs, she was never a Streisand fan. Big wop.

I love Patti FIRST because she's a first class talent. Everything perfect? Hell no. But a first class talent nonetheless. And an inhibited bitch who lets her hair down!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60April 29, 2020 1:50 AM

R2 she was great on that show. It's a shame the third season ended so badly.

by Anonymousreply 61April 29, 2020 1:53 AM

I've gone on and on about Patti here, but I'll just say I don't know what it is. No performer has ever gotten me as excited- heart pounding out of my chest, when I see her perform. No one comes close, except maybe Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam.

Going to see Anything Goes at a young age, I didn't know who the hell she was. But that night I was completely in her thrall. Truly, my first gay experience.

About two years ago, I went to see her in Beverly Hills with Seth Rudetsky. She was singing the recitative from Evita "SCREW the middle classes!" in the original key. It sounded just like the 1979 cast album. I was so excited I couldn't sit still in my chair!

I am ALL IN on La LuPone, and I'm tickled pink that she's become one of the break-out stars of stay-at-home streaming.

by Anonymousreply 62April 29, 2020 1:56 AM

I was lucky enough to see her in Evita. The Rainbow High moment with mink everyone gets wet about is well deserved. She commanded the stage.

by Anonymousreply 63April 29, 2020 1:59 AM

Anything Goes, R62? Heart pounding out of your chest? If you had seen Evita in 1980, I know you would not be here to testify. Death by heart attack Lupone.

by Anonymousreply 64April 29, 2020 2:03 AM

R64 I know!! I watched the endless ads for Evita when I was a kid.

When I see the terrible, grainy video of Rainbow High from Evita, I think she's really supernatural. Just amazing.

by Anonymousreply 65April 29, 2020 2:07 AM

And the plot thickens...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66April 29, 2020 2:08 AM

COOL, R65. But TV ads WERE NOT REMOTELY like the real thing.

by Anonymousreply 67April 29, 2020 2:10 AM

[quote] And an inhibited bitch who lets her hair down!

Inhibited?

by Anonymousreply 68April 29, 2020 2:15 AM

R67 of course they weren't. But they ran over and over and over and over. I never heard the name Patti LuPone until I saw Anything Goes.

by Anonymousreply 69April 29, 2020 2:16 AM

Yes, R68. She was going to let much more down but too inhibited.

by Anonymousreply 70April 29, 2020 2:18 AM

You don’t know her from that long running ABC show. She must be a good actress as well because she convinced me she was a nice person.

by Anonymousreply 71April 29, 2020 2:19 AM

Whatdaya mean I DON'T KNOW THAT ABC SHOW? You are nuts.

by Anonymousreply 72April 29, 2020 2:21 AM

Love her. She really does have that magical stage star quality. It doesn't always transfer well to film, but on stage, you can't take your eyes off of her and are always fascinated by what she might do next.

by Anonymousreply 73April 29, 2020 2:23 AM

[quote] Whatdaya mean I DON'T KNOW THAT ABC SHOW?

Celebrate!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74April 29, 2020 2:23 AM

Being fired from SB and Streisand singing HER songs better are something someone like LuPone would never forget or forgive.

Now hiring Dunaway for a hard to sing Broadway show was batshit crazy.

by Anonymousreply 75April 29, 2020 2:23 AM

R75 = Hilary Duff

by Anonymousreply 76April 29, 2020 2:26 AM

(R74) I think prefer Corky over Patti. Less bitchy.

by Anonymousreply 77April 29, 2020 2:32 AM

Andrew Rannells has the most punchable face. He is repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 78April 29, 2020 2:33 AM

Fight the power.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79April 29, 2020 2:34 AM

(R78) So does Hamm.

by Anonymousreply 80April 29, 2020 2:35 AM

I love this scene from Life Goes On. I think this is very close to how she is. You can see she's crying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81April 29, 2020 2:37 AM

[quote]Patti’s biggest problem in the business has been her mouth. She says what she thinks and then thinks. She is honest and sometimes it is a problem.

The tedious thing with her is that whenever it is a problem she acts like she's the victim, and all those calamities befell her career just because, rather than because of her attitude pissing the wrong people off.

Plus her hypocrisy. Deliberately hiding away to avoid the ensemble parts of Les Mis, then a couple of years later attacking the cast of Anything Goes for not having the right level of professionalism, etc.

by Anonymousreply 82April 29, 2020 2:38 AM

Bitchy old broad. This should cheer her up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83April 29, 2020 2:45 AM

Patti will soon be seen in Ryan Murphy’s Hollywood on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 84April 29, 2020 2:55 AM

[quote][R52] I believe she made comments about refusing to sing it because Eva Peron was a fascist.

ALW wanted Streisand to premiere Don't Cry for Me, Argentina to the world on one of her albums, but she didn't feel comfortable singing a song about a fascist. It didn't sit right with her. However, she did go on to premiere Memory and the two songs from Sunset Boulevard.

According to Elaine Paige, he thought Streisand's version of Memory was the definitive one.

by Anonymousreply 85April 29, 2020 2:56 AM

According to Liz Smith, Streisand was at a private party in Beverly Hills many years ago with ALW, and Sarah Brightman got up and sang Don't Cry for Me Argentina. Barbra was very impressed with her performance and told ALW that he should cast her as Eva Peron in the movie. For whatever reason, that never happened and Madonna got the role.

by Anonymousreply 86April 29, 2020 3:04 AM

I love you, R79!

by Anonymousreply 87April 29, 2020 3:14 AM

[quote] I think prefer Corky over Patti. Less bitchy.

A cave of she-wolves is less bitchy than Patti.

by Anonymousreply 88April 29, 2020 3:16 AM

[quote] You can see she's crying.

There's no crying in Broadway.

Or flash photography.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89April 29, 2020 3:32 AM

Patti had modest London success playing Les Miz. She went into Sunset. In the silent days, a plain cocktail waitress type could become a Vamp and a movie star … i.e. Norma Desmond. Patti LuPone could play that well. No matter what she does, she seems to have a Long Island Waitress background. Glenn took the L.A. production. ALW looked at both portrayals, felt Glenn would be better box office opening in NY. It is always about the money. Now Patti has her pool. And many stories. Lord Knows what Faye has, certainly the money to buy film rights to Master Class. Barbra is too old now.. The real Rose Hovick, nee Thompson, born 1890, was 21 years old when daughter Louise was born, was only 31 when she was trouping Louise and daughter June around the vaudeville circuit. So the Gypsy role of Madame Rose is a woman 36 at best Merman played her at 51. Since, women have added about 10 years to her. No matter, Streisand at near 80 is too old to play 35-40.

by Anonymousreply 90April 29, 2020 4:23 AM

Still feeling Corky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91April 29, 2020 4:49 AM

R52 Streisand told writer George Anderson in 1991: “I never wanted to do Evita. The producers took me to see it and I hated the show. Still those reports continued, that I was going to do the movie. Stop using me to sell the show, I told the producers. I don't even like the song ‘Don't Cry for Me, Argentina’ and I won't sing it.”

--------------------

Patti Dearest!

Truth is, you´re just not pretty enough for the movies.

Love Barbra and G

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92April 29, 2020 4:50 AM

Enough of those old bags. Back to Corky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93April 29, 2020 4:54 AM

R91 and R93, I think you're suffering from Up Syndrome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94April 29, 2020 4:57 AM

Don't Cry For Me, Barbra Streisand

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95April 29, 2020 5:17 AM

PattiFan, how did you come up with your name on DL? Tell us the story behind it. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 96April 29, 2020 5:23 AM

On the A-list

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97April 29, 2020 5:24 AM

[quote]Her kitchen looks very basic and she needs to polish that stainless steel refrigerator; it has fingerprint smudges on it.

Her basement (woman cave) looked pretty unremarkable as well. I guess even after being on Broadway for decades you still don’t get paid good money.

by Anonymousreply 98April 29, 2020 5:35 AM

Patti's beef with Glenn, as lip synched by Randy Rainbow

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99April 29, 2020 5:37 AM

I hate mismatched appliances, stainless fridge, black dishwasher...

by Anonymousreply 100April 29, 2020 5:45 AM

R96 Silly.

by Anonymousreply 101April 29, 2020 5:56 AM

That short clip at OP had me laughing out loud.

by Anonymousreply 102April 29, 2020 6:29 AM

Patti came out of Sunset deeply damaged and mentally broken. She found out being fired from Liz Smith’s column. ALW didn’t meet her before nor after the decision. Glenn didin’t contact her before or after. Glenn and ALW negotiated behind her back. He sent him flowers. Two letters. He wanted her to take over Los Angeles production when Glenn moved to NY. He was angry when she didn’t want to do it. Insult after insult. ALW had announced Glenn would open in LA the same day Patti was supposed to travel London to begin rehearsals. Bad timing. From that point speculations began, who will open on Broadway. Patti thought she was secured because she had a signed contract.

After she was fired she stayed away for three days. She had to return to finish her run. Only way to sue ALW. All the buzz going around Sunset being fired and yet forcing herself to stage eight times per week. She wanted to go home to get healed. She was angry humiliated hurt.

Wounds were wide and deep. She needed therapy and medication. She went hiking alone for two weeks to find peace in mind. She had kept everything inside while in London and at home began to throw it all at her husband. They nearly divorced. Then she had surgery. Her vocal cords were badly damaged after years of singing without technic. Afterwards she found a vocal teacher and finally learned a technic. Eventually she pulled herself together and her career continued.

She will never forget nor forgive ALW nor Glenn.

by Anonymousreply 103April 29, 2020 9:20 AM

One of my favorite of her bitchy moments is her attempt at upstaging Donna Murphy by making faces on the background during Could I Leave You

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104April 29, 2020 9:45 AM

Patti LuPone has a potty mouth

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105April 29, 2020 10:14 AM

No matter what her beef with ALW was, the stunt she pulled by wrecking the dressing room is the sign of an immature, unprofessional cunt with severe anger management issues. In any other profession she'd have found it hard to get another job after that, especially given the shameless, vulgar way in which she boasts about it, as though her bad behavior and tantrums are things to be proud of.

She is disgusting at every level. Typical Long Island trash.

by Anonymousreply 106April 29, 2020 10:24 AM

Show business is not quite like "any other profession" and its inherents are given broad leeway in their dramatic behavior.

by Anonymousreply 107April 29, 2020 2:30 PM

R106, you apparently don't know about Streisand destroying dressing rooms. My favorite is when she learned of a tell all interview with Elliott Gould in Ladies Home Journal before she was going on at the new Hilton International in Las Vegas, 1969. Gould even mentioned Streisand's reaction in a later 1969 NYT interview, "it made Barbra very upset." (source, Barbra's hairdresser Frederick Glasser, who was there and later sued her for delinquent bills).

"ALW looked at both portrayals, felt Glenn would be better box office opening in NY"

Probably true, but absurd. Patti was big box office in New York. I saw Glenn's version too...wished it was Patti's as I watched.

by Anonymousreply 108April 29, 2020 2:42 PM

I loved Forbidden Broadway making fun of Glenn's horrible singing in Sunset Boulevard.

by Anonymousreply 109April 29, 2020 2:54 PM

Does she ever talk about her time on Life Goes On? That’s the only time I’ve ever paid attention to her, yet I never hear her talk about it.

by Anonymousreply 110April 29, 2020 3:16 PM

R108, Streisand doing it doesn't excuse LuPone's behavior. It just makes both of them look like temperamental diva cunts. I realize showbiz gives these people a lot of leeway in terms of how they can behave, but to me, it still is extremely unprofessional and uncouth behavior. There are thousands of other performers who are just as talented and can deal with their professional and personal disappointments without having a meltdown.

by Anonymousreply 111April 29, 2020 3:24 PM

R110 She liked Kellie Chris and the original Paige who became pregnant and left. She hated her character Libby, who she wanted to be modern woman, not yes dear wife. She hated the long 16-hour days. She didn’t like some of the writers and directors because Libby’s stroylines and long days of filming. She absolutely loeathed Bill. It began with the screen test when he suddenly put his arms to her shoulders. She was wtf? Who are you? Who gave you permission? She thought they would never end up to the same show but it happened. On the final season they no longer spoke or looked at each other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112April 29, 2020 3:33 PM

Patti was terrible in Sunset Boulevard. Glenn was just slightly better. Neither woman possesses the vulnerability to portray Desmond.

I think Ann-Margret would have been the definitive Desmond if she had been younger.

by Anonymousreply 113April 29, 2020 4:20 PM

It's such a shitty show anyway.

by Anonymousreply 114April 29, 2020 4:34 PM

Petula Clark was better than Patti.

by Anonymousreply 115April 29, 2020 4:45 PM

How was Elaine Paige in Sunset? Any good?

by Anonymousreply 116April 29, 2020 4:50 PM

She was upset because another actor put his arms on her shoulders during the screen test? Oh, brother.

by Anonymousreply 117April 29, 2020 4:56 PM

I hate the way he taaalks. It's like someone trying to make something sound interesting so you'll talk to them.

by Anonymousreply 118April 29, 2020 5:25 PM

R115 Really? I mean, really?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119April 29, 2020 8:03 PM

Just to make a point

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120April 29, 2020 8:10 PM

I saw Patti in Sunset Blvd. early in the London run. She was simply too young for the part (how rare is that??). She wasn't bad -Just wrong. The show itself was dreck. I saw the end of the Broadway run with Elaine Paige, who was absolutely brilliant in the role. She was the right age, and had a perfect blend of strength and vulnerability. The audience stopped the show to applaud her three times. ALW went on record saying that he thought if Elaine Paige had opened the show in London it would still be running there and on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 121April 29, 2020 8:25 PM

The OLC recording is so odd, everyone sounds so bored and lifeless, especially in the book scenes. Is that what the production itself was like?

by Anonymousreply 122April 29, 2020 8:39 PM

I certainly thought it was boring and lifeless. I fell asleep in the second act.

by Anonymousreply 123April 29, 2020 8:57 PM

[quote]She was upset because another actor put his arms on her shoulders during the screen test? Oh, brother.

Yeah, she sounds like she doesn’t know what exactly a screen test is for. Jesus, no wonder her career never really took off beyond the stage.

by Anonymousreply 124April 29, 2020 10:13 PM

Is “Life Goes On” on any streaming services? I’d like to watch it again. Haven’t seen it since it originally aired.

by Anonymousreply 125April 29, 2020 10:19 PM

R124 I think it was before the screen test began.

by Anonymousreply 126April 29, 2020 11:06 PM

You have to love a ballsy Italian bitch. lmao

by Anonymousreply 127April 29, 2020 11:10 PM

In the Mommie Dearest Diary, Rutanya Alda doesn’t only trash Faye, she also trashes Streisand. She says Babs is one of the nastiest pieces of work in the business and treats everyone around her like crap.

by Anonymousreply 128April 29, 2020 11:13 PM

R81 - That was a clip full of GAY! Not only did it it feature a bitchy Patti , but Gloria Petrillo and the fucking Del Rubio Triplets made an appearance! Well done, my dear.

by Anonymousreply 129April 29, 2020 11:26 PM

R126, before or during, that's an extreme reaction to putting an arm on a shoulder with someone you're doing a scene with. It's likely that she held this grudge and wouldn't let go and that's why she didn't get along with him during the shoot.

by Anonymousreply 130April 29, 2020 11:28 PM

Modest success r90? She won the Olivier for Les Miz and Cradle Will Rock. Not bad going.

by Anonymousreply 131April 29, 2020 11:35 PM

I hope that, if the Sunset Boulevard film does get made, they drop most of the chorus numbers and focus just on the Norma material. I don't care for the Joe/Betty duet in act 2 either. It's a show like Carrie where the housebound stuff with the crazy madwoman soars and everything after you leave that location pales in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 132April 29, 2020 11:46 PM

R128, give us some examples! I love Streisand the nasty bitch stories.

by Anonymousreply 133April 29, 2020 11:55 PM

[quote]I hope that, if the Sunset Boulevard film does get made

ALW will never get one of his musicals made into a movie again. Cats and Phantom were two of the biggest flops of the last 20 years. He's been branded as box-office poison.

Sorry, Glenn.

by Anonymousreply 134April 30, 2020 12:14 AM

R112

That's actually really good acting (and writing). Damn.

I watched that show as a kid. I loved it. Sundays on ABC at 7 PM. I had to watch it in the spare room because my parents watched 60 Minutes. My So Called Life eventually got that time-slot when it was on (briefly).

It was my introduction to LuPone as well. No one explained to be that she was Broadway royalty. But, I was definitely drawn to her. Kellie Martin as well.

by Anonymousreply 135April 30, 2020 10:27 AM

Lupone has bitched a lot about her stint on "Life Goes On". Apparently she found the hours really long and would have preferred to be on a sitcom because sitcom episodes don't take as long to shoot.

The sense of entitlement this woman has is baffling. She'll proudly proclaim that she's a "working actor" one minute and the next she'll be a cunt about long hours and how bored she gets. If she doesn't want the job she has a choice to turn it down and wait for a big stage role to come along again.

by Anonymousreply 136April 30, 2020 10:35 AM

Remember Patti was a victim in Sunset and LGO. A Victim!

by Anonymousreply 137April 30, 2020 11:54 AM

Was not Kevin Anderson as well?

by Anonymousreply 138April 30, 2020 11:57 AM

R133 - Rutanya was Ann Francis' photo double in Funny Girl. She repeated a story given to her by Vivienne Walker who was the hairstylist on the film saying that Barbra sat next to William Wyler watching the dailies and suggested which beautiful actresses close ups she wanted taken out which is supposedly why Ann Francis is hardly in the film. Rutanya also served as Barbra's double in Hello Dolly! and was a towns person in the closing number. She was there during the infamous argument between Barbra and Walter Matthau when Barbra told Gene Kelly that Matthau shouldn't say his lines the way he was doing. Matthau reportedly said that Betty Hutton was once a star too and look what happened to her. Barbra replied that he couldn't talk to her that way and walked off the set with Kelly running after her. Rutanya said she ran into Matthau years later and he said that woman gave him a heart attach but he got even with her, but he wouldn't tell Rutanya how.

by Anonymousreply 139April 30, 2020 12:14 PM

[quote] Remember Patti was a victim in Sunset and LGO. A Victim!

She's the archetypal Karen of musical theater. Always finding something to bitch about, living in a state of permanent victimhood. She ought to thank her lucky stars that she managed to get the right breaks at the right time. If she hadn't she'd be down by the pier trying to peddle her wares to desperate men.

by Anonymousreply 140April 30, 2020 12:25 PM

I kind of don't know what people like R111 are doing on Datalounge if they have such visceral, massive hatred to "temperamental diva cunts." That's all we talk about in the gossip and entertainment threads. Be they male or female, we're always talking about divas and cunts.

by Anonymousreply 141April 30, 2020 12:44 PM

Walter Matthau was a piece of work who was awful to a lot of people on a lot of movie sets. The Barbra haters always bring him up as though his comments to her were proof that she was an evil person, but they forget that a lot of costars had to deal with Matthau's temper tantrums. There was a rumor that the injuries he suffered on Buddy Buddy were self-inflicted after he had a snit fit and part of the set gave way underneath his stomping. He also gave SNL writers grief, at first because he didn't want to do any tasteless Jim Jones jokes (that had just happened prior to his hosting gig) but eventually he put the kibosh on literally everything they sent him, causing a lot of delays and fights.

It's not that I think Streisand was an angel on set, it's that plenty of other people have been divas and don't get the shit for it that she has.

by Anonymousreply 142April 30, 2020 12:53 PM

[quote]Her vocal cords were badly damaged after years of singing without technic. Afterwards she found a vocal teacher and finally learned a technic.

Technique, you mean?

by Anonymousreply 143April 30, 2020 12:53 PM

Patti looks like my mom

by Anonymousreply 144April 30, 2020 1:21 PM

Walter and his wife attended a small private concert with AList celebrities in Barbra’s back yard.

by Anonymousreply 145April 30, 2020 1:32 PM

R140, Patti had two things - big talent and Juilliard. Juilliard programs got her started and let he keep working. There's no way she'd be waiting tables or "down at the pier."

Patti is a bitch, a complainer, an egomaniac - with TALENT. Just like all of the divas. Streisand, Callas, Ross, Aretha - they're all pains in the ass. I don't care because I don't have to live with them. If Patti was happy-go-lucky, she wouldn't be a star. And you people would be complaining how dull as dishwater she is.

by Anonymousreply 146April 30, 2020 1:37 PM

And Anne Francis’s part wasn’t that small. The name of the movie was Funny Girl not Fanny’s Friend the early years. Anne’s role was only slighter shorter than Kay Medford’s who was also upset she had been written out of Funny Lady. The oldest complaint in Hollywood is ‘all my best work was on the cutting room floor’....

by Anonymousreply 147April 30, 2020 1:39 PM

R145, Matthau's wife Carol Marcus was a big Streisand fan - she dragged him there. Walter also toned down his ego and maintained civility with and regarding Streisand after Hello Dolly.

by Anonymousreply 148April 30, 2020 1:43 PM

I seem to remember Matthau being a pain on another film set. Maybe it was A New Leaf? Carol Burnett reported that he called her television series crap when they did Pete 'N' Tillie but she saw this as a strategy to get her to relax into film acting.

by Anonymousreply 149April 30, 2020 2:34 PM

Carol Burnett is one of those "happiness by avoidance" individuals, R149. She never wants to fight or get angry, she just goes on with a smile. Carol admitted she was unable to take charge of any issue on her TV variety show and delegated because she didn't like conflict. It worked/works for her. Another kind of person would be rightly annoyed at Matthau for being such an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 150April 30, 2020 2:51 PM

R139 I think he refers to his recommending Howard Zieff as director to Babs.

Matthau had just finished a movie with Zieff and found im totally amateurish and inexperienced. Babs asked Matthau about the director whom she considered hiring for her next project.Matthau sang his praises to Babs and Zieff got hired to (co-) direct The Main Event.

by Anonymousreply 151April 30, 2020 3:23 PM

R145 One Voice in 1986

by Anonymousreply 152April 30, 2020 3:25 PM

Matthau also went to her 1992 concerts in Anaheim.

by Anonymousreply 153April 30, 2020 3:44 PM

^ that's because of his wife. She died in 2003.

by Anonymousreply 154April 30, 2020 3:50 PM

Yes-Zieff directed Matthau in House Calls, then Streisand in The Main Event. They were both hits, but kind of lame. His next movie was Private Benjamin, which was a bigger hit and much funnier.

by Anonymousreply 155April 30, 2020 5:11 PM

Barbra doesn’t like saying bad things about her coworkers. The worst is Director of A Star Is Born who gave a very unflattering interview about working with her and Jon Peters. She has worked with Herbert Ross 3 times who must have been a monster judging what I heard from the set of Steel Magnolias and Maggie Smith. If she ever releases her autobiography I suspect it will be very boring.

by Anonymousreply 156April 30, 2020 7:10 PM

She did make an unflattering comment about how Gene Hackman treated Jean-Claude Tramont on All Night Long.

by Anonymousreply 157April 30, 2020 7:13 PM

She also made fun of Gene Kelly as a director (although not publicly).

by Anonymousreply 158April 30, 2020 7:18 PM

"The worst is Director of A Star Is Born who gave a very unflattering interview about working with her and Jon Peters."

An INTERVIEW? Frank Pierson wrote a 12 PAGE article in New York magazine about A Star is Born, that appeared a month and a half before the movie was released. I have a copy of it in front of me, I was throwing out old magazines.

by Anonymousreply 159April 30, 2020 7:30 PM

Frank Pierson's article was online on Barbra archives on one point. It's hard to find much fault with the guy. It was a disaster of a production. Wasn't it Paul Williams who said working with her on that was like having a picnic at the end of an airport runway?

To be fair, Barbra admits in recent years that she only did it to break Jon into the movies, and she never would have taken the project on otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 160April 30, 2020 7:40 PM

R160 Paul went into deep abuse of drugs and alcohol for years not long after ASIB

by Anonymousreply 161April 30, 2020 8:26 PM

For its time her ASiB was a big hit along with the soundtrack.

Poor poor Patti a thread about her turns into a thread about Barbra.

by Anonymousreply 162April 30, 2020 8:31 PM

Patti holds everyone around her to very high standards -But she holds herself to those same standards. Sadly, any time a woman has standards she is a bitch and a diva. Men with those same standards are creative professionals...

by Anonymousreply 163April 30, 2020 8:49 PM

[quote]But she holds herself to those same standards

Except she doesn't. What do you think she'd say if a member of the cast was hiding away to avoid having to play ensemble roles like she did in Les Mis?

by Anonymousreply 164April 30, 2020 9:00 PM

I've never seen the Streisand ASIB. Which genre of music is Esther supposed to be a big star in? Adult contemporary? What was the deal with the scene in the stadium then?

by Anonymousreply 165April 30, 2020 9:23 PM

R165

she was supposed to be a rock star

by Anonymousreply 166April 30, 2020 9:28 PM

Did she actually try to sing rock music? Streisand? The woman who has always said she can't sing on the beat?

by Anonymousreply 167April 30, 2020 9:32 PM

R164 I think producers and directors knew what was going on and allowed it because she was already famous stage actress.

by Anonymousreply 168April 30, 2020 9:41 PM

Prisoner love theme from Eyes of Laura Mars, StoneyEnd/ Where You Lead and maybe the last song of ASIB are somewhat rock songs that Barbra sang very well. With the exception of Evergreen the songs pretty much suck and sometimes she gets labeled a folk singer but the music is mostly middle of the road. In terms of quality Jon Peters wasn’t a very good influence. The movie in my opinion is better than I remember and I think Netflix has it. The recent version borrowed heavily from it

by Anonymousreply 169May 1, 2020 12:16 AM

[quote] Her kitchen looks very basic and she needs to polish that stainless steel refrigerator; it has fingerprint smudges on it... Her basement (woman cave) looked pretty unremarkable as well. I guess even after being on Broadway for decades you still don’t get paid good money.

It's a home not a show place. Not every celebrity lives in a cold sterile Architectural Digest photo spread. And no matter what her job is, she'll always be a cranky Long Island housewife.

[quote]I hope she is working on her memoirs.

As stated, she did already and she had a contest on her website to name the book and the winner got a signed copy. Of all the choices she went with Patti Lupone A Memoir. THAT she need help with.

by Anonymousreply 170May 1, 2020 12:35 AM

Anything Goes Tony Awards

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171May 1, 2020 12:37 AM

She’s a textbook narcissist

by Anonymousreply 172May 1, 2020 12:39 AM

Well, I hope she fucking updates her memoirs.

by Anonymousreply 173May 1, 2020 12:41 AM

And now Sutton Foster shows Patti how it should be done

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174May 1, 2020 12:42 AM

[quote] But she holds herself to those same standards

So I guess the poor crew member who had to clean up her tantrum trashed dressing room got to go apeshit on Patti’s guest bath?

by Anonymousreply 175May 1, 2020 1:21 AM

Patti had the pipes and a more polished production I prefer Sutton’s natural charm. Did she ever win a Tony?

by Anonymousreply 176May 1, 2020 1:47 AM

That’s what I thought about the poor guy when had to lean up the divas mess

by Anonymousreply 177May 1, 2020 1:49 AM

That Tony awards performance is ok, but you get a much better sense of how great she was from this more raw footage of the actual show. Again, heart pounding outside my chest great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178May 1, 2020 2:01 AM

Sorry to hear about being declared legally blind, PattiFan.

by Anonymousreply 179May 1, 2020 3:26 AM

Yes, her standing there watching the chorus do all the work is thrilling.

by Anonymousreply 180May 1, 2020 9:02 AM

[quote]Patti had the pipes and a more polished production I prefer Sutton’s natural charm. Did she ever win a Tony?

Yes, she won for "Thoroughly Modern Millie" AND "Anything Goes", something Patti failed to do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181May 1, 2020 9:06 AM

R180 yeah her vocals there mean absolutely nothing :EYEROLL:

by Anonymousreply 182May 1, 2020 9:14 AM

R159 don't throw that one out! Hell, list it on eBay if you don't want it, I don't have a copy of it myself, just an old scan.

by Anonymousreply 183May 1, 2020 10:35 AM

"I've never seen the Streisand ASIB."

Consider yourself lucky

by Anonymousreply 184May 1, 2020 12:11 PM

Well gee, "A Star Is Born" was the third largest grossing picture of 1976. Nominated for 4 Academy Awards winning Best Song "Evergreen". Winner of 5 Golden Globes including Best Motion Picture - Comedy or Musical, Best Actor & Best Actress in a Motion Picture - Comedy or Musical. With a 4X Platinum #1 Soundtrack, some people like it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185May 1, 2020 12:40 PM

R185 = again, a DLer who confuses sales with quality

by Anonymousreply 186May 1, 2020 1:43 PM

Again someone R186 who thinks their opinion is the only one that matters and wonders why they die alone.

by Anonymousreply 187May 1, 2020 1:53 PM

Try watching ASIB now...it's a laugh fest

by Anonymousreply 188May 1, 2020 2:34 PM

What’s with the kitchen? I know Patti doesn’t have the sort of wealth of a Madaonna, But she seemed more than her share of some great paydays I think she’ll be living better than that. I mean it’s nice I like it but it’s not what I would expect her to have

by Anonymousreply 189May 1, 2020 2:37 PM

R172 I don’t think she is, because she shows lots of empathy and emotions. Self-centered sure.

by Anonymousreply 190May 1, 2020 2:48 PM

I want someone to write a favorable review of the 1976 ASIB as a film. It has to be more than "Kris is hot," "Barbra's in great voice," or "there are some awesome songs." A true review. I'll wait.

by Anonymousreply 191May 1, 2020 3:05 PM

random question... Did Patti start smoking again? I vaguely remember her saying she stopped smoking when she had her son and never smoked again. She has smoked in a couple of her recent roles... I know it is acting and maybe fake cigarettes but I can't imagine fake smoking as a former smoker. When Larry King interviewed Sarah Jessica Parker at the end of SATC, she said she had quit smoking but after the paris shoot where everyone smoked, she started up again

by Anonymousreply 192May 1, 2020 4:21 PM

Barbra's ASIB is more entertaining than the Gaga/Cooper version, which is almost a scene-by-scene recreation of the 1976 version.

by Anonymousreply 193May 1, 2020 5:43 PM

What was Kris Kristofferson's experience working with Babs like? Didn't he have a serious drinking problem around that time?

by Anonymousreply 194May 1, 2020 6:17 PM

I've never liked any A Star is Born.

Garland was too old. And hammy.

Streisand is too adult contemporary.

Gaga's is just a retread.

by Anonymousreply 195May 1, 2020 6:44 PM

[quote]What was Kris Kristofferson's experience working with Babs like? Didn't he have a serious drinking problem around that time?

He claims making the film saved his life because he quit drinking for it. They remain friends and he made an appearance at Barbra's Hyde Park concert last summer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196May 1, 2020 7:37 PM

Kris was also in her Left in the Dark music video.

by Anonymousreply 197May 1, 2020 7:39 PM

Barbra was sounding pretty good in the Hyde Park concert. She also seemed a lot more relaxed.

by Anonymousreply 198May 1, 2020 7:43 PM

[quote]What was Kris Kristofferson's experience working with Babs like? Didn't he have a serious drinking problem around that time?

Barbra and Jon Peters got a phone call one night from Rita Coolidge that Kris was drunk and she feared for his life and her own safety. Jon got in the car and drove over to their house and got him sobered up. I don't know how he got through the movie as he was literally John Norman Howard in real life. What you saw on the screen was happening in real life behind the scenes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199May 2, 2020 12:17 AM

Esther's hair-do is just cause for all John Norman's drunken antics.

by Anonymousreply 200May 2, 2020 12:22 AM

She probably has fond memories of For Pete’s Sake that at the time she first met Peters.

by Anonymousreply 201May 2, 2020 12:26 AM

R195, Janet Gaynor is a talented cutie pie and Fredric March brings real gravitas to his role…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202May 2, 2020 2:27 AM

Sutton Foster certainly articulates the lyrics, but Patti LuPone brings the star power

by Anonymousreply 203May 2, 2020 2:28 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204May 2, 2020 2:59 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205May 2, 2020 3:01 AM

I've never liked her in anything, and her voice is not enjoyable.

And she reminds me of a bitchy secretary I used to know named Shirley. She talked about her family all the time, but it was obvious they avoided her as much as possible.

by Anonymousreply 206May 2, 2020 3:21 AM

Nobody cares about Sutton Foster. She has less charisma than a one-legged poodle.

by Anonymousreply 207May 2, 2020 4:15 AM

Bunheads.

M'kay?

by Anonymousreply 208May 2, 2020 4:43 AM

Today, Patti was interviewed on BROADWAY.COM's streaming interview show and [barely] bit her tongue about that Baranski/Streep/McDonald Ladies Who Lunch performance.

by Anonymousreply 209May 2, 2020 7:52 AM

WTF were Jon Peters and Babs thinking with that awful hairdo? And she kept it for so long that I'm surprised Yentl/Anschel didn't have Jewfros.

by Anonymousreply 210May 2, 2020 7:53 AM

R209 the thing is, you know after a bit of time passes, she'll unload on it. She's good friends with Audra McDonald, thoough.

by Anonymousreply 211May 2, 2020 8:06 AM

[quote] WTF were Jon Peters and Babs thinking with that awful hairdo?

Yeah!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212May 2, 2020 10:34 AM

Oh dear God! PLuP manages to look even uglier and more hideous than Babs in her 70s Jewfro. PLuP should be banished to the radio. There must be a part for a mute that she could play on a radio show.

by Anonymousreply 213May 2, 2020 10:40 AM

I found her home refreshing. It looks like a home that a family actually lives in and it’s the kind of place where you can flop down and put your feet up on the furniture and feel at ease. I’ve never wanted to live in those fancy places you see in AD, they always seem so cold. Like a Four Seasons Hotel suite. Patti also has a beach house in one of the Carolinas.

by Anonymousreply 214May 2, 2020 11:35 AM

Was Patti getting her makeup done by Carol Matthau at the time of the clip from the Tony Awards featuring Joanna Gleason's win?

by Anonymousreply 215May 2, 2020 12:08 PM

She is tiresome, bitchy, a terrible singer, and an obvious actor who lacks any discipline other than making the most dramatical choice available. She has little awareness of why her career failed to go where she wanted, even though she has had a great deal of success. I still watch these videos - she is a fascinating train wreck.

by Anonymousreply 216May 2, 2020 12:16 PM

R44, Andrew Rannells must have been all over Jon Hamm later that evening.

by Anonymousreply 217May 2, 2020 12:29 PM

Patty looks rough. What happened to the face?

by Anonymousreply 218May 2, 2020 12:40 PM

Too ugly; did not read.

by Anonymousreply 219May 2, 2020 12:41 PM

She's 70 years old, R218.

"He claims making the film saved his life because he quit drinking for it"

Kris Kristofferson HATED, HATED working with Streisand (and Peters) in A Star is Born. It almost killed him. It was only after the movie was completed that he saw he was the character onscreen, and cleaned up. Kristofferson was a train wreck for most of his career, and he knew ASIB was his movie acting achievement. He was never much of an actor or a box office draw. I don't think Elvis, the earlier choice for the role, would have survived filming ASIB. He'd be dead, that is, if Streisand hadn't fired him earlier.

by Anonymousreply 220May 2, 2020 3:56 PM

Patti does not have a commercial voice. It's just not pretty. Her diction and tone are bizarre and jarring. She's a belter, which makes her voice appropriate for a Broadway stage, but absolutely no one wants to listen to that voice on radio. That's why she's so often compared to Merman. Neither of them had successful recording careers, or made it in movie musicals.

by Anonymousreply 221May 2, 2020 4:24 PM

It was a good interview and Patti was gracious to many people

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222May 2, 2020 5:01 PM

Women like Patti, Ethel, and Liza are/were magnetic on stage and their voices were made to be projected to the back of the house. That doesn't always translate to film or recordings.

Bernadette Peters and Streisand have more versatile voices that could sound better on recordings. Ditto Judy Garland. They can really belt it out when they need to, but they could also tone it down given the medium. The first three only have one mode - loud.

by Anonymousreply 223May 2, 2020 6:49 PM

I find the timbre of Lupone's singing voice extremely unpleasant, shrill and grating. And of course the constant sneer on her face makes it terrifying to look at her when she's singing. However she's a decent actress in straight plays. I can't stand her in musicals but find her quite good when she's not singing,

by Anonymousreply 224May 2, 2020 7:11 PM

I have to say, Patti is looking good these days. She looks quite good for a woman in her early 70s.

R211 - If Audra is her friend, she should avoid watching that Broadway.com interview. Personally, I loved Baranski and Streep in Ladies Who Lunch. I mean, no one is going to beat Stritch or, frankly, now, LuPone in that number, so why not try something novel and new. But, if anyone was the odd one out, it was Audra. She has none of the wry sensibility of Baranski or Streep. Plus, Baranski and Streep modulated their performances for the (web)camera. Audra was bit much.

You can see Patti's ice cold reaction starting at about 32:05...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225May 2, 2020 7:16 PM

[quote]Kris Kristofferson HATED, HATED working with Streisand (and Peters) in A Star is Born. It almost killed him. It was only after the movie was completed that he saw he was the character onscreen, and cleaned up.

I have never found one thing online saying he didn't like working with them. so yeah OK, thanks for playing .....

.But Kristofferson wouldn’t be enjoying life nearly so much — actually, he admits, he might not be living, period — had he not cleaned up his act before flaming out too young. He quit drinking while appearing opposite Barbra Streisand in the 1976 remake of A Star Is Born and stopped indulging in drugs a few years after that. “I didn’t suddenly turn into a saint,” he says, “but [quitting drinking] definitely put me on the road to recovery.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226May 2, 2020 8:01 PM

Goosebumps....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227May 2, 2020 8:16 PM

Patti has always been open about wanting to make in Hollywood and not being able to. I remember about actress I think Julie Halston but not 100% recalled that after she got a TV gig Patti cane up to her and said “how did YOU get that”. Could he interpreted as bitchy but also that Patti was frustrated by her lack of opportunities. Daily beast had a long interview with her about her show “Hollywood” and it was nice to hear her be so appreciative of the role, the opportunity and being in the city. She played tourist and seemed to enjoy her time there. Refreshing because a lot of NY actors are moan, moan, moan about working in TV. She also said if there’s a season 2 of Hollywood she may not be able to continue with Company if it reopens. She’s like a few seasons of Hollywood to be her swan song. She still has a mortgage too and her husband was a stay at home dad so probably she’s not swimming in enough money to do up her place with all the latest mod cons.

by Anonymousreply 228May 2, 2020 8:18 PM

Patti dear I will be shocked if there is a season 2 of Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 229May 2, 2020 8:30 PM

Has Audra McDonald been asked to comment on Patti's sex scene in Hollywood?

by Anonymousreply 230May 2, 2020 8:32 PM

I’m sure she puked like the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 231May 2, 2020 9:36 PM

[quote]I have never found one thing online saying he didn't like working with them. so yeah OK, thanks for playing .....

Well, then you didn't look very hard.

Kristofferson HATED Jon Peters. They were both coked out of their minds. And Barbra always sided with Peters.

So Kristofferson may now credit A Star is Born with saving his life, but while he was doing it, he HATED it.

Almost as much as I hated his voice.

by Anonymousreply 232May 2, 2020 9:41 PM

That Broadway interview was so funny. Patti was so positive and gushing about everything and everyone until the question about Ladies Who Lunch -- and then the claws came out instantly.

by Anonymousreply 233May 2, 2020 9:43 PM

They left a sex scene with Dylan McMcDermott on the cutting room floor. Also Patti mentioned they had an intimacy coach and she said they have one on Company too. Patti would rather not have one but il think wtf is an intimacy coach, when did they come on the scene and eat kind of person does this job?

by Anonymousreply 234May 2, 2020 9:43 PM

I came upon that term this week for the first time. I was reading a review of a show and it mentioned the great work of the intimacy coach.

by Anonymousreply 235May 2, 2020 9:46 PM

R228 Link to proof of mortgage please

by Anonymousreply 236May 2, 2020 9:47 PM

Was Patti getting not-so-surprise anal in her scene?

by Anonymousreply 237May 2, 2020 9:50 PM

R224 her scary sneer was well used in Gypsy. She was pretty good in that and the score fit her voice well.

by Anonymousreply 238May 2, 2020 9:50 PM

R236 She says it in this interview

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239May 2, 2020 10:02 PM

R234 Basically intimacy coaches make sure sex scenes are done as professionally as possible and ensure all involved are comfortable - I've linked to a Guardian (of course) article about them.

Seems hilarious Patti doesn't want one given the screen test story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240May 2, 2020 10:04 PM

[quote]Refreshing because a lot of NY actors are moan, moan, moan about working in TV.

Are you kidding??? Patti bitched all the time when she was on Life Goes On about the hours required for television.

by Anonymousreply 241May 2, 2020 10:15 PM

[quote]She still has a mortgage too and her husband was a stay at home dad so probably she’s not swimming in enough money to do up her place with all the latest mod cons.

She still has a mortgage in her early 70’s after all these years of working??? Wow! I didn’t realize Broadway paid so little.

by Anonymousreply 242May 2, 2020 10:16 PM

So instead of using the Lloyd Webber payoff to pay off a chunk of the mortgage they built a pool instead? Doesn't seem like the best judgement.

by Anonymousreply 243May 2, 2020 10:26 PM

How does Bernadete Peters manage? She seems to work a lot less than Lupone does. And doesn't Peters live in New York still? Did her husband leave her a lot of money?

by Anonymousreply 244May 2, 2020 10:44 PM

Peters had the lucrative Kleenex commercials to finance her deluxe Manhattan lifestyle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245May 2, 2020 10:48 PM

Seriously, we're worried about Patti or Bernadette paying their mortgages? They're both doing fine. Didn't Patti get a $1 million settlement for Sunset? I assume her pool, no matter how nice, did not cost $1 million.

by Anonymousreply 246May 2, 2020 10:51 PM

I can only speak for myself. No single performer has ever excited me the way La LuPone does. I find watching her live to be absolutely thrilling. I feel lucky to have seen her sing live over a dozen times, and indeed lucky to have walked the earth while she did.

by Anonymousreply 247May 2, 2020 11:22 PM

Patti also has a house somewhere in the Carolinas but she moved to her current house after selling the ALW pool house. Where was she living while doing Broadway? Does she commute to and from Connecticut or has she a place in the city too? It’s possible one of her home is mortgaged or she may have remortgaged at some point. Broadway is poorly paid compared to TV though and even a LuPone salary won’t provide the glamorous, luxury life when there’s years between shows and a husband and son to support

by Anonymousreply 248May 2, 2020 11:27 PM

If you read the Daily Beast article she’s not crying poor. She says she’s lucky to be able to afford extended unemployment. She brought up her mortgage to highlight that she is still someone who needs to work and hopes to do more TV as she doesn’t have a “Malibu mansion”.

by Anonymousreply 249May 2, 2020 11:31 PM

There really is something magical about Patti. I don't always find her to be the world's finest actress or greatest singer, but she's magic on stage. You almost recoil a bit, because it's so unusual to find someone that damn good at something. You can't believe what you're seeing. Watching her in Gypsy, I couldn't imagine how she maintained that night after night. She has "it" - whatever "it" is.

It hasn't quite translated as well to film and TV, but she definitely has it on stage.

by Anonymousreply 250May 2, 2020 11:37 PM

R239 Thanks for sharing the article. Long and wondeful. I love her honesty. R247 I agree totally. She has talent and guts to put the audience through emotional journey with the raw emotions she is giving when she performs.

”Trump, Mitch McConnell. These fucking assholes, these fucking douchebags, they are the worst. LuPone also “cannot stand” Melania or Ivanka. “All his entire offspring are entire slime-buckets, slimy as shit. For a minute I had respect for Melania, but now I think she must be a complete airhead. I’m quite vocal about Donald Trump, and that’s another element that concerns me. I have a little bit of fear now when I go on stage.”

”But I was a Pete Buttigieg fan. He was so damn smart and so cultured. And young. And gay. And a veteran. He ticked off all the boxes for me. I want to see a young gay guy lead the government. I want to see a lot of women, transgender people, I want to see diversity. I want to see Pakistanis, Indians, Palestinians, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans. I want to see the gamut of our society in the government.”

by Anonymousreply 251May 2, 2020 11:38 PM

[quote] All his entire offspring are entire slime-buckets, slimy as shit

Bless her for saying what so many think but can only express in the most diplomatic terms

by Anonymousreply 252May 2, 2020 11:44 PM

I’m not a fan especially how she trash talks My Barbra but I love what she says about politics. We all should be on the same page on that subject.

by Anonymousreply 253May 2, 2020 11:56 PM

She didn't trash talk Streisand. She said Streisand would have made a fantastic Gypsy if she had did when she was younger. She simply said Barbra's too old to do it now and she's right.

Streisand should have did it back in the 80's when her voice was still at its peak and she was the right age. Around the time of the Broadway Album, it would have made a fantastic companion piece to the CD.

by Anonymousreply 254May 3, 2020 12:05 AM

R246 Italians have never been known for being good at managing money, especially when they get a large chunk at once.

by Anonymousreply 255May 3, 2020 12:08 AM

My argument is so many actors get cast even though they are not the right age. Why should Barbra be singled out and saying she is 60 years too old is just mean. When the movie was close to being made she said had a way to deal with the age thing. The show is well remembered but no one remembers the real Gypsy and especially her mother so would it be so terrible to change the character to a Grandmother? They have recently used cgi to make actors look younger. Barbra could easily pass for 50/60 at beginning and 60/70 at the ending.

Barbra has only made a handful of films. I wish she would go out with one more great musical. Could not be worse than Lucille Ball in Mame.

by Anonymousreply 256May 3, 2020 12:22 AM

I say let Barbra do the movie. I'd hate for her to go out on The Guilt Trip. It'll either be great or a total disaster, but I doubt it'll be boring.

by Anonymousreply 257May 3, 2020 12:28 AM

R226, I'm not some kid born in 1995 looking for quotes of Kris Kristofferson bitching about his bad experiences on ASIB. I followed that monstrosity from birth, saw and read everything at the time, also knew people in the business who were talking off-record. EVERYONE hated working with Streisand and Peters on ASIB, and that includes Kristofferson.

by Anonymousreply 258May 3, 2020 12:38 AM

Barbra doesn't have the voice anymore to sing the score. And changing the character of Gypsy would completely alter the entire story.

CGI?! Wasn't Cats punishment enough?

by Anonymousreply 259May 3, 2020 12:39 AM

"I’m not a fan especially how she trash talks My Barbra..."

Do you fucking realize where YOU ARE? This isn't your fan group on Facebook, this is the DATALOUNGE.

R256, you need an intervention.

by Anonymousreply 260May 3, 2020 12:47 AM

Senior year, in speech class, Mrs. Martin, the teacher told me "John you HAVE to see Anything Goes." I knew nothing, and I mean nothing of Patti LuPone.

That was maybe in March of 1988. I went off to college in Boston, and developed a big crush on my str8 roommate. For Christmas I gave him a ticket to go see Anything Goes with me, remembering Mrs. Martin. And we would spend the night in my father's company's suite at the Hotel Dorset.

Well, Patti blew me away. And I think I must seen her final or next to final performance in the show. If I hadn't seen her that cold week between Christmas and New Year, who knows if I ever would've become such a huge fan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261May 3, 2020 12:50 AM

What did the infamous article that Frank Pierson say about KK? I know when he was asked about working with her he goes um, I used to date her. Whoever was the talk show host asked him what it was like to date her. He goes Um, you just do whatever she wants to do like it has been said they have worked together since. Sometimes when a film turns out to be a big hit all the bad working experience is forgotten. I’m sure Jon Peters was a bad influence on her.

by Anonymousreply 262May 3, 2020 1:14 AM

R261, Did seeing Patti and then spending the night with you at the Hotel Dorset finally turn your roommate/crush gay? At least for the one night?

by Anonymousreply 263May 3, 2020 2:12 AM

R263 I didn't have enough game to pull that off. I always say that even though nothing happened with my roommate, I still had my first gay experience fangurling to Patti LuPone.

by Anonymousreply 264May 3, 2020 2:25 AM

R263 I didn't have enough game to pull that off. I always say that even though nothing happened with my roommate, I still had my first gay experience fangurling to Patti LuPone.

by Anonymousreply 265May 3, 2020 2:25 AM

WTF is up with the A Star Is Born / Barbara loon in this thread? It's one thing if you want to talk about LuPone's comments on the Gypsy film, but this is getting out of hand. Start another thread to discuss Babs and her films.

by Anonymousreply 266May 3, 2020 3:14 AM

[quote] [R226], I'm not some kid born in 1995 looking for quotes of Kris Kristofferson bitching about his bad experiences on ASIB.

You tell him, Mary!

by Anonymousreply 267May 3, 2020 3:17 AM

[quote]Barbra sat next to William Wyler watching the dailies and suggested which beautiful actresses close ups she wanted taken out which is supposedly why Ann Francis is hardly in the film.

I had one of the original scripts. Entire scenes with Francis were edited out. She had a much bigger part.

by Anonymousreply 268May 3, 2020 3:30 AM

Elaine Paige was the better Evita. Patti's performance sounded like a lot of yelling.

by Anonymousreply 269May 3, 2020 3:32 AM

I love that crusty bitch Patti but I'm wondering about that little cocktails gathering with her, Jon Hamm, Andrew Rannells and Glenn. Was enough alcohol consumed that Andrew gave up the good for Jon's meaty girthy man too.? I'm sorry but while I don't think Jon Hamm is gay but hee may well be curious when drunk - especially for cute sassy Andrew.

by Anonymousreply 270May 3, 2020 3:50 AM

Patti always makes it sound like they sabotaged her by hiring a movie star (Close) to open LA. In truth at that time Close's career was in trouble. She hadn't had a big movie in years. I don't think Weber ever thought that Patti, the Broadway diva would be outdone by Close who had a lesser singing voice.

When the reviews came in and Patti was panned and Close received raves ALW had no choice but to fire her. Group sales were slumping for the Broadway production because people wanted to see Close not Patti.

by Anonymousreply 271May 3, 2020 5:16 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272May 3, 2020 5:32 AM

Pattifan, you still beggin' for dollars on GFM?

by Anonymousreply 273May 3, 2020 5:51 AM

Was the Anne Francis character in the stage play? What other scenes would she be in? I think Anne was very good in movie and made a lasting impression to any fan of Funny Girl more than anything she has done ( I’m sure there is a small cult of fans for Honey West). Anne seemed like a big person by making a statement all was forgiven don’t know if Barbra knew about it or cared.

William Wyler was one of Hollywood’s greatest directors. Many of his actors won Oscars. I don’t know how he did it. He always made them do numerous takes without telling them what he wanted. He might have listened to Barbra but ultimately his cuts were probably his decision. Funny Girl’s first act is highly regarded but the second is a bit plodding.

Six years later when they did Funny Lady there was a character similar to the one that Francis played but it was recast.

by Anonymousreply 274May 3, 2020 7:50 AM

R274, there was no such character in the play.

"What did the infamous article that Frank Pierson say about KK?"

Pierson accepted Kristofferson's bad behavior, and it was BAD. He was all queer for Kris, writing that she cut out his best scenes, SHE hurt his performance, she drove him crazy and he was too wasted to fight back. I have no problem with someone calling out Streisand's narcissism, and Peters for being a dumb fuck in over his head, but Kristofferson was lucky he could stand up. Btw, I don't recall Kristofferson ever saying (at the time) that he dated Streisand out loud. They had a date or two years earlier, his name appears on Streisand's resume of men she's dated. It wasn't close to being a big deal and there are no pictures of them going out in public.

by Anonymousreply 275May 3, 2020 12:25 PM

[quote] Entire scenes with Francis were edited out. She had a much bigger part.

Nobody gives a fuck about D-lister Anne Francis. Maybe .0001 of the earth's population even knows who she is. Give it a rest.

by Anonymousreply 276May 3, 2020 4:28 PM

I see Barbra has found the DL.

by Anonymousreply 277May 3, 2020 4:30 PM

Is the Babs loon the same as the Mary Poppins loon I've seen referenced in other threads? Is he having a conversation with himself? If not, maybe stop engaging him?

by Anonymousreply 278May 3, 2020 4:54 PM

As one of the people talking about Barbra I ensure you there are at least two you lousy control freak. We are not loons but Barbra fans with very good taste. So back to talking about failed movie and tv performer Patti even with her one semi hit TV show...

Just because Anne Francis didn’t have a string of movie hits doesn’t make her D- list. She was more of a working actress.

by Anonymousreply 279May 3, 2020 5:03 PM

R279, does saying "failed movie and tv performer Patti even with her one semi hit TV show" make you feel better about Barbra? That's middle school shit.

by Anonymousreply 280May 3, 2020 5:15 PM

And anyone who thinks 25 year first time movie actress Barbra Streisand had any editing control on a multi million dollar Hollywood production directed by 12 time nominee and 3 time Oscar winner William Wyler is living in a dream world. The studio had already sold out 44 shows at NY's Criterion Theater in the Roadshow Engagement before a foot film was shot.

by Anonymousreply 281May 3, 2020 9:11 PM

R280 Honesty, best to ignore them. No amount of reason, or appeals for them to act like normal adut humans will work. I learned this after a long time trying myself. Just skip their posts like it was white noise.

by Anonymousreply 282May 3, 2020 11:36 PM

I love Barbra Streisand. I obsessively played her For the Record boxed set, and went to see her concert in Anaheim in 1994.

But I have to say, I get much for excited when I see Patti LuPone sing live. I can't even put my finger on why, really, which makes it all the more special. When I saw her in 2018, and she was doing "Screw the middle classes" from Evita, in the original key, I literally could not sit still in my seat, I got so excited.

Given a choice "See Patti in Evita in 1979 or Barbara in Funny Girl in 1964?" I have to say I'd pick Evita.

by Anonymousreply 283May 3, 2020 11:53 PM

"And anyone who thinks 25 year first time movie actress Barbra Streisand had any editing control on a multi million dollar Hollywood production..."

R281, that sounds right, and I'm inclined to agree with you. HOWEVER, you must not know or understand what a HUGE STAR Streisand was in the 1960s, long before she appeared on her first half a minute of film. She had much more influence than the average newcomer.

by Anonymousreply 284May 4, 2020 2:47 AM

[quote]Nobody gives a fuck about D-lister Anne Francis. Maybe .0001 of the earth's population even knows who she is. Give it a rest.

Barbra?

by Anonymousreply 285May 4, 2020 4:30 AM

A huge star in music and tv but not the movies.

by Anonymousreply 286May 4, 2020 4:34 AM

The Anne Francis accusation was always used when anyone wanted to diss Barbra and her control-freak ways. Francis posted an open letter to Barbra Streisand on her website:

Dear Barbra,

It has gnawed at me for years that you have believed that I blamed you for cutting most of my scenes from “Funny Girl.” I felt the sadness of the misunderstanding all over again when I read a supposed quote of yours last year saying that you had heard me blame you on a TV talk show. The only talk show I did on the subject was on Johnny Carson, and Joey Bishop was subbing that night. I tried to make it plain that I did not blame you, and had no idea why I was cut from the film. To this day, I don’t know the circumstances that caused the decision, but I am lead to believe it probably had to do with the length of the film. The sub plot of Georgia’s histrionics with Florenz Ziegfeld was really not necessary to the story about Fanny Brice.

In all fairness, I understand that the press believed that I felt that way because my public relations person, who was also a very dear friend, did believe it, and she made the statements that were attributed to me. I was caught in the middle, and rather than point a finger at her, I did the best I could to refute the story whenever confronted by an interviewer. The whole thing was messy and painful. I had never been embroiled in that sort of ruckus before. I know you were going through a lot of flack as well during those stormy days when first you hit Hollywood (or It hit you!). I had hoped then that it would all blow over quickly, but when I saw the quote you allegedly made recently, I felt awful once more.

At the age of thirty-five (over the hill in those days!), the role of Georgia was a great gem for me, and I had high hopes (I had just come off of “Honey West”) that it would do a lot for my “career.” The flashy role, along with the drunk scene (which hit the editor’s floor) pretty much cinched the prospect of a supporting nomination with the Academy that year. So, you can understand the humiliation when each day a note would be slipped under my dressing room door, “omit scene so and so.” The scene named would always be the one I had been called in to do that day. I am not whining, dear lady. We’ve all taken our lumps in this “Business.” I’m just sharing with you what was going on at that time with me. You had your own problems. I marveled at how you handled yourself on your first encounter with the alien world of the film industry.

I have had the greatest respect for your talent and for what you have made of yourself, Barbra. You are a brilliant woman and I have always wished you the very best. One more time, it is important for me before I leave this planet to say, I have never accused you of having the role of Georgia cut to the quick.

God Bless,

Anne

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287May 4, 2020 9:03 AM

Anne Francis was a doll. Literally and it looked just like her based on her girl spy show "Honey West".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288May 4, 2020 9:08 AM

R287 Start a thread on Babs, you fat cunt.

by Anonymousreply 289May 4, 2020 9:09 AM

Why? Patti started it! So nah nah nah.....

by Anonymousreply 290May 4, 2020 9:11 AM

Does Patti compare notes with Andy on who has been taken doggy-style more often? Does she play her trump card by claiming that she's done it on the balcony of the Casa Rosada in her Evita gown?

by Anonymousreply 291May 4, 2020 11:19 AM

R287 - More revisionist history. How come Ann Francis didn't come out with that decades earlier?

by Anonymousreply 292May 4, 2020 1:24 PM

Yes Barbra’s name is in Op’s Title

by Anonymousreply 293May 4, 2020 5:34 PM

292 you must not read the letter. Anne says Barbra recently mentioned it.

by Anonymousreply 294May 4, 2020 5:40 PM

That is one of the very, very few flattering Honey West dolls, r288. Most of them, unfortunately, looked like this...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295May 4, 2020 5:49 PM

R295 Honey West uses the "Donald Trump" technique to match her face foundation to her neck's skin tone.

by Anonymousreply 296May 4, 2020 8:00 PM

Anne shoulda sued Gilbert....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297May 4, 2020 10:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!