Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anne Sexton Sexually Abused Her Daughters?

What exactly did she do? I've read that her daughter and a bunch of psychiatric audio tapes confirmed the abused but nowhere online does it spell out what she exactly did to them. Apparently the biography of her went into great detail. Did she grope them? Insert objects like some Sybil shit?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 26, 2020 10:21 AM

No one?

by Anonymousreply 1April 25, 2020 2:50 AM

Do people even remember her?

by Anonymousreply 2April 25, 2020 2:50 AM

I don’t have any idea, but I hope someone does. Great topic!

by Anonymousreply 3April 25, 2020 3:06 AM

They wouldn't hold their water.

by Anonymousreply 4April 25, 2020 3:09 AM

Caneface.

I don’t even want to think about it, but I’d bet it was more humiliation than sex acts.

by Anonymousreply 5April 25, 2020 3:21 AM

At least Sylvia Plath didn’t hurt her kids.

by Anonymousreply 6April 25, 2020 3:23 AM

No R6, she didn’t. I heard that she was a real gas! 🥴

by Anonymousreply 7April 25, 2020 3:25 AM

OP, who is this person? I'm too lazy to Google. On second thought, don't bother answering. I won't be back to this thread.

by Anonymousreply 8April 25, 2020 4:25 AM

I remember hating her poetry when we had to read it in college. I got the impression of her as being sort of bitter and self-righteous.

by Anonymousreply 9April 25, 2020 11:57 AM

[quote]This period of their relationship lapsed into an even more destructive one in which "Mother", as Gray Sexton refers to her, insisted on becoming intimate and close with her daughter. Their relationship wore many masks during this period. At times there was complete role-reversal in which Anne looked to Linda for mothering and nurturing. At age 10, Linda was ordered to come home from summer camp prematurely in order to take care of mommy. At other instances, Anne acted as if the two were both adult girlfriends as she would discuss her adulterous affairs with her daughter even encouraging her daughter to become sexually active. At its most obscene state, their relationship found Anne treating Linda as a lover when, at times, she would masturbate in front of or in bed with her daughter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 25, 2020 12:04 PM

omg.

by Anonymousreply 11April 25, 2020 12:05 PM

The Ballad of the Lonely Masturbator

BY ANNE SEXTON

The end of the affair is always death. She’s my workshop. Slippery eye, out of the tribe of myself my breath finds you gone. I horrify those who stand by. I am fed. At night, alone, I marry the bed.

Finger to finger, now she’s mine. She’s not too far. She’s my encounter. I beat her like a bell. I recline in the bower where you used to mount her. You borrowed me on the flowered spread. At night, alone, I marry the bed.

Take for instance this night, my love, that every single couple puts together with a joint overturning, beneath, above, the abundant two on sponge and feather, kneeling and pushing, head to head. At night alone, I marry the bed.

I break out of my body this way, an annoying miracle. Could I put the dream market on display? I am spread out. I crucify. My little plum is what you said. At night, alone, I marry the bed.

Then my black-eyed rival came. The lady of water, rising on the beach, a piano at her fingertips, shame on her lips and a flute’s speech. And I was the knock-kneed broom instead. At night, alone, I marry the bed.

She took you the way a woman takes a bargain dress off the rack and I broke the way a stone breaks. I give back your books and fishing tack. Today’s paper says that you are wed. At night, alone, I marry the bed.

The boys and girls are one tonight. They unbutton blouses. They unzip flies. They take off shoes. They turn off the light. The glimmering creatures are full of lies. They are eating each other. They are overfed. At night, alone, I marry the bed.

by Anonymousreply 12April 25, 2020 12:07 PM

In Lena Dunham’s Pebbles In Vagina essay, she mentions lying in bed with her sister and masturbating to Anne Sexton.

by Anonymousreply 13April 25, 2020 12:09 PM

She was an amazing poet, a natural. She is also the best reader of her own poetry that I’ve ever heard. She was beautiful and modeled in young adulthood. She was also very mentally ill, a frightening borderline type or regressed victim of abuse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 25, 2020 1:37 PM

She was institutionalized at least once.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 25, 2020 1:41 PM

My stepsister and I both read an autobiography of her and were equally fascinated. Superb poetry, nutty, ill woman.

by Anonymousreply 16April 25, 2020 1:43 PM

With a name like Sexton, it has to be vile.

by Anonymousreply 17April 25, 2020 1:52 PM

Why are the most creative and talented people always twisted?

by Anonymousreply 18April 25, 2020 2:49 PM

Where's the biopic? You'd have to find an actress with a smoky voice and cray-cray eyes.

by Anonymousreply 19April 25, 2020 3:07 PM

She was a Boston aristocrat, a lunatic, a masturbating boozehound, a faded black haired beauty, a husky voiced chain smoker, a spectacle maker, a suburban pariah, and someone with a vivid imagination and a talent for florid sensational poetry. I’m surprised she’s not more popular on DL. Yes, some Hollywood starlet could really cut their teeth on this role.

by Anonymousreply 20April 25, 2020 5:23 PM

With some prosthetic help and makeup, I nominate Cate Blanchett for the role of Anne Sexton.

by Anonymousreply 21April 25, 2020 5:30 PM

No more biopics, please! You can count the good ones on the fingers of one hand.

by Anonymousreply 22April 25, 2020 5:32 PM

I actually just read the autobiography about her last summer- and it wasn't that memorable.

All I recall was a pleasant of distant marriage with her husband, who was very handsome.

She had numerous affairs..

She was pretty morose.

And I think it was hinted that she was molested by her grandmother?? (I don't think it was her mother)

Overall, it was a pretty boring book and I read it until the end.

by Anonymousreply 23April 25, 2020 6:15 PM

"You'd have to find an actress with a smoky voice and cray-cray eyes."

I'm available! So, so available. (Seriously, I am.)

by Anonymousreply 24April 25, 2020 7:14 PM

r21 that's an appalling idea

by Anonymousreply 25April 26, 2020 10:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!