Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Pamela Sue Martin: What was her problem?

She left her role as Nancy Drew and then left Dynasty just before it hit number one in the ratings.

What was her issue? Did she think she was going to become a movie star? Illness?

Her career pretty much eroded after Dynasty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 3, 2020 7:45 PM

Meghan Syndrome?

by Anonymousreply 1April 24, 2020 12:58 AM

"Oh, it's you!"

by Anonymousreply 2April 24, 2020 1:00 AM

wasn't she at the time a big ole druggie thus not reliable (ala mackenzie phillips?)?..

by Anonymousreply 3April 24, 2020 1:02 AM

She is a flower child who never wanted fame - she just wanted to be a working actress - Dynasty was too overwhelming as it was an international hit, and left so she could have a more normal life

by Anonymousreply 4April 24, 2020 1:02 AM

Drugs, right? Didn't she do a tortured movie about her abusive relationship with a bad guy who got her addicted to cocaine?

by Anonymousreply 5April 24, 2020 1:15 AM

I adored both Nancy Drew and Fallon, and would have followed her in any role, but she kind of disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 6April 24, 2020 1:49 AM

Didn't the public tire of actresses with 3 first names?

by Anonymousreply 7April 24, 2020 1:52 AM

R7 there was another "Pamela Martin" in SAG so she had to add the "Sue" in her name to join the union

by Anonymousreply 8April 24, 2020 1:54 AM

Didn't she do a Playboy spread and that was why they booted her off the HB/ND Mysteries? Because the children might see her cooter, which would be somehow bad...

by Anonymousreply 9April 24, 2020 1:54 AM

She went on to host a weekly syndicated show called “Star Games” with Caitlin Jenner and Dick Buttkiss in the mid 80s. Basically a rip off of “Battle Of The Network Stars”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 24, 2020 2:03 AM

R10 I wonder if she and Bruce/Caitlyn fucked....

by Anonymousreply 11April 24, 2020 2:04 AM

She was singularly unappealing as an actress. Every young girl is supposed to want to be Nancy Drew. Nobody wants to be Gladys Kravitz.

by Anonymousreply 12April 24, 2020 2:05 AM

Years ago something happened on Long Island, I don't recall what the news was, but the local CBS station was interviewing the "locals" and one of the people was Pamela Sue.

by Anonymousreply 13April 24, 2020 2:08 AM

What a loser!

by Anonymousreply 14April 24, 2020 2:10 AM

[quote] Didn't she do a Playboy spread and that was why they booted her off the HB/ND Mysteries?

No, it was Hustler.

by Anonymousreply 15April 24, 2020 2:12 AM

Oh, that's so much worse! Playboy was always demure but Hustler showed full split beaver!

by Anonymousreply 16April 24, 2020 2:17 AM

R15 Spreading 'em in Hustler was a pretty gutsy move. For the late 70s/early 80s, it kind of says "I don't give two fucks about my career".

by Anonymousreply 17April 24, 2020 2:23 AM

It was Playboy and not Hustler.

by Anonymousreply 18April 24, 2020 2:27 AM

Finally, a DL thread I can care about!

by Anonymousreply 19April 24, 2020 2:41 AM

I haven't heard "full split beaver" in 30 or 40 years. But I remember it and it's why Hustler overtook Playboy for awhile because everybody loves nasty.

by Anonymousreply 20April 24, 2020 2:49 AM

She was hawt! Those tittays are Faye Dunaway-esque.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 24, 2020 2:53 AM

Nancy Drew and the Case of the Full Split Beaver

by Anonymousreply 22April 24, 2020 2:53 AM

She left Dynasty due to her hair falling out. She wore a wig on her last season.

by Anonymousreply 23April 24, 2020 2:57 AM

"I wonder if she and Bruce/Caitlyn fucked...."

No, but my clothes kept disappearing.

by Anonymousreply 24April 24, 2020 2:59 AM

Nancy Drew and the Mystery of the Missing Panties (Number 69 in a Series)

by Anonymousreply 25April 24, 2020 3:00 AM

Looks like she played a lot of polo for awhile.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 24, 2020 3:02 AM

She was so great in the first season of Dynasty. She was perfect as the trampy daughter of a billionaire who makes life hell for her new stepmother, all the while sleeping with the chauffeur.

by Anonymousreply 27April 24, 2020 3:10 AM

She was in a huge cruise ship disaster and barely survived leaving her with a severe case of PTSD that she never truly recovered from and every New Year’s Eve would be triggered anew leaving her incapable of working for months.

by Anonymousreply 28April 24, 2020 3:28 AM

Didn't Joan Collins sit her down and try to convince her to stay and rake in as much dosh as she could because chances like hers to get that rôle and that paycheck were very likely to never happen again?

by Anonymousreply 29April 24, 2020 3:43 AM

Recasting with an actress who was absolutely nothing like PSM was made all the more worse by having the actress recreate the exact same turn in the opening credits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 24, 2020 3:55 AM

Someone beat me to it but she Sherry Stringfield'd before Sherry Stringfield.

by Anonymousreply 31April 24, 2020 3:59 AM

It never made the press at all, but watch her last few episodes of Dynasty. She seems COMPLETELY fucked up. Glassy-eyed, pale, way too thin, spaced out. I assume there was a drug problem there.

by Anonymousreply 32April 24, 2020 3:59 AM

PSM with a drug problem >>> Emma Samms

by Anonymousreply 33April 24, 2020 4:01 AM

In the last season she just wasn't the spunky, sassy Fallon from season one. She's a mess here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 24, 2020 4:05 AM

Link to Pam's full split beaver?

by Anonymousreply 35April 24, 2020 4:26 AM

This is so distressing because my sister and I used to play Barbies. She had a PJ and pretended she was Pamela Sue Martin because she was the coolest woman we knew of. I didn't know she was in dirty mags.

by Anonymousreply 36April 24, 2020 4:30 AM

I was distressed too. She was definitely not the one my 11 year old self wanted to see naked!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 24, 2020 4:42 AM

R27---Do you remember after she fucked the driver, Fallon coming up the staircase, one shoulder of her top slipping down her arm in the bird chirping early morning and meeting her brother Steven halfway up as he's on his way out to practice in his racing car. Steven asks, "Where have you been?" Fallon replies, "Slumming!"

by Anonymousreply 38April 24, 2020 5:03 AM

R37 I agree, Parker and Shaun should have done some beefcakes shots in Playgirl in solidarity!

by Anonymousreply 39April 24, 2020 5:18 AM

^^The remains.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 24, 2020 5:40 AM

I wanted to see young Parker’s full split meaver!!

by Anonymousreply 41April 24, 2020 5:55 AM

haha r38. I forgot how good the first season of Dynasty was. Pamela was excellent and deserved an Emmy. She was perfect. Very sexy, showing a bit of vulnerability but still being the bad girl.

by Anonymousreply 42April 24, 2020 5:57 AM

I have a fleeting memory of being shocked SHOCKED to see her topless and getting boned by Dillinger in The Lady in Red.

by Anonymousreply 43April 24, 2020 6:37 AM

Question she was rumored to be reappearing on the CW Nancy Drew series. Did she ever make appearances on this show?

I'm sorry I'm not willing to tune in, Supergirl and Dynasty are about all the CW I can handle

by Anonymousreply 44April 24, 2020 6:51 AM

Pamela appeared in the pilot for the new Nancy. The new show is shit. It's nothing more than a boring, uninspired D-list Riverdale rip-off (and I have never liked Riverdale). I liked the new Dynasty (better than the older one, I must admit), up until Steven and Nicolette Sheridan left. Then they brought in the "lost son" and Fallon's new boyfriend, who are both shit too (although I liked what I saw of Dominique). CW is shitting all over PSM's shows.

From what I've read, PSM started out as a model, and moved into acting, but never really got into "the Hollywood lifestyle". I think she lives down in Mexico now. She's still friends with Parker Stevenson and everybody from the Nancy Drew series, and she and John Forsythe adored each other. Joan Collins called her stupid for leaving. But then again, she left right before the Maldovian Massacre, which started the decline of Dynasty. So maybe she wasn't so stupid after all.

by Anonymousreply 45April 24, 2020 7:49 AM

R40 looks like Alfred E. Neuman.

by Anonymousreply 46July 3, 2020 7:06 PM

I would like to have been nude with Robert Forster back then... Lucky P. Sue

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47July 3, 2020 7:13 PM

I think she might have had an eating disorder. She became so painfully thin in latter seasons that they were always covering her up from head to toe. Remember the slinky little jersey dresses she wore in the first season? They were gone, replaced by long, puffy sleeves, lace collars buttoned at the neck, pants or skirts that swished around boots. Not one inch of her body was exposed. In the clip posted above she's wearing a jacket while hanging around the house!

Then there are the wigs... anorexics grow hair on their arms, legs, and torso while the hair on their heads falls out. Who knows, maybe it was drugs and she just wasn't eating. But my money is on anorexia.

by Anonymousreply 48July 3, 2020 7:19 PM

Whatever her problem was, she's way past it.

She goes to those old time celebrity conventions and you can see her having a great time, with the fans, and her contemporaries there like Al Corley and Sean Cassidy.

by Anonymousreply 49July 3, 2020 7:24 PM

I agree, r47. He had tits to die for.

by Anonymousreply 50July 3, 2020 7:26 PM

She totally Sherry Stringfield’d before Sherry. Sherry literally left Guiding Light in 92 at its peak, left the red hot NYPD Blue after its first year then left the hotter ER after less than 3 years and in the middle of the season. She lost gazillions leaving ER when she did.

by Anonymousreply 51July 3, 2020 7:31 PM

The first two seasons or so it was a great part, but then after she made friends with Krystle and stopped being a spoiled brat, it was an extremely dull part to play.

by Anonymousreply 52July 3, 2020 7:38 PM

Fallon was my favorite character in Dynasty because of her. After she left, I hardly care for Fallon.

by Anonymousreply 53July 3, 2020 7:40 PM

I just remember that she was obsessed with Stephen Bishop.

by Anonymousreply 54July 3, 2020 7:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!