Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Things that scared you as a kid

I was terrified by the video for Rockit. Every time it played on MTV I would hide in my room. Changing the channel was not an option because my big sister had control of the tv.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75April 28, 2020 3:59 AM

Oh, to go back to being a child with childish fears. It’s nothing compared to what we’re facing now. A mysterious virus that is going to wipe us all out within the next 12 months.

by Anonymousreply 1April 23, 2020 8:12 AM

When I was a little kid I was terrified every night of dark, hulking, menacing shapes by the foot of my bed. I didn’t dare move for fear they’d suddenly come to life, slither and ATTACK swallowing me whole. I was truly terrified. I was like pinned to my bed. I knew they were demons come to steal me to hell. VERY Catholic upbringing.

When I got a little older I started to realize the terrifying shapes were just clothes hung from my bedposts illuminated by the hall light.

I was also petrified of windows after dark. My bitch of a superstitious grandmother from the old country would gleefully tell me stories of ghouls and undead creatures who clung from window sills peering into windows. Couldn’t help myself so I’d imagine their faces peering in at me. Horrible long nails dug into the sills clinging to the outside of the building. You could never be safe. There they were on the other side of a thin pain of glass. Dark, uncovered windows at night still make me extremely uneasy. She also once burned my fingers on a hot gas stove to “teach me” to be afraid of the stove. Fucking Nonnie. May she rest in unpeace.

by Anonymousreply 2April 23, 2020 8:54 AM

"Paul McCartney: The Complete Story, Told for the First and Last Time," was a TV special about the clues regarding the rumours of Paul's death. I slept downstairs at my parents house. I still remember the nightmare I had. I was lying in a coffin and a man was closing the lid on me and I was still alive (I bet I'd been watching "Dark Shadows" a lot, too).

Anyway, my screams woke up my sleeping parents upstairs who woke me up before the lid closed on me.

by Anonymousreply 3April 23, 2020 12:31 PM

Hearing this coming from the living room as I was trying to get to sleep:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 24, 2020 5:03 AM

The sound of a table saw spinning up. It fucking TERRIFIED me. I still cringe every time I have to use one. There's just something about that sound that gets to me.

by Anonymousreply 5April 24, 2020 5:08 AM

Chainsaws scare me, R5.

by Anonymousreply 6April 24, 2020 5:16 AM

Low-frequency buzzers. Hate 'em. They just sound evil.

by Anonymousreply 7April 24, 2020 5:23 AM

This creeped me out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 24, 2020 5:23 AM

Whenever I would look at my clock in the middle of the night and it would say 3:15 a.m. I would freak out! I would be absolutely terrified for at least 30 minutes and could not fall back asleep. Can anyone here guess why?

by Anonymousreply 9April 24, 2020 5:25 AM

This music.......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 24, 2020 5:28 AM

Unsolved Mysteries

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 24, 2020 5:28 AM

That bunny attack scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I walked in while my dad was watching it and had nightmares about killer rabbits for several nights afterward.

by Anonymousreply 12April 24, 2020 5:29 AM

I will never stay in a hotel room #237!

by Anonymousreply 13April 24, 2020 5:30 AM

R9 You only had to worry at that hour if you lived at 112 Ocean Ave in Amityville

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 24, 2020 5:30 AM

Garbage disposals, which still scare me to this day, thanks to Stephen King. I read my mom's copy of Firestarter when I was in 6th grade, and a character commits suicide by sticking his arm down one. I could have blown off that chapter as an adult, but it stuck in my kid brain and traumatized me for life. Every time I hear someone using one, I cringe and try to leave the area.

by Anonymousreply 15April 24, 2020 5:35 AM

Seeing Judy Garland as an adult.

by Anonymousreply 16April 24, 2020 5:40 AM

You got it R14!

by Anonymousreply 17April 24, 2020 5:54 AM

I was flipping through my parents' TV Guide one day and came across an ad for Whatever Happened to Baby Jane. I didn't know what the heck the movie was about; I just knew that Bette Davis scared the crap out of me. I tossed the magazine aside and avoided it for the rest of the week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 24, 2020 6:02 AM

The movie Jaws really made me scared to swim. Even in a pool! I thought a shark was lurking on the bottom and was going to chomp on my feet!

by Anonymousreply 19April 24, 2020 6:19 AM

Old men who smelled like patchouli.

by Anonymousreply 20April 24, 2020 6:22 AM

Bathtub drains- I was not only convinced that my 5 year old self could be sucked down the tub drain, I was also sure that there was a giant drain in the bottom of every lake. My neighbor's daughters assured me that I was correct and that they'd throw me in their lake if I bothered them.

by Anonymousreply 21April 24, 2020 6:25 AM

OP That video was so CREEPY! All of those mutilated robots/mannequins! EEEK!

I was also terrified of the clown doll in the original Poltergeist movie!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 24, 2020 6:28 AM

R21 LOL, same here. I insisted on getting out of the tub before my mom unplugged the drain, terrified I'd be sucked down the drain with the water. Sometimes, she'd forget and I'd start screaming!

by Anonymousreply 23April 24, 2020 6:34 AM

When I went to a public pool, I saw a used bandaid floating in one end of the pool. I can still remember the smell over 30 years later. I jumped out of the pool and went to my mom and after that I would never go into a public pool.

Also, Large Marge scared the shit out of me.

by Anonymousreply 24April 24, 2020 6:36 AM

Oops

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 24, 2020 6:37 AM

Same here, R23. My stepmother lost her temper when I started screaming and told me how stupid I was to think I could even fit through it. I still didn't believe her but at least I stopped screaming about it.

by Anonymousreply 26April 24, 2020 6:39 AM

My sister was also afraid of Large Marge, r24, so of course my brother would rewind that part and torment her with it every time we watched it.

by Anonymousreply 27April 24, 2020 6:41 AM

R26 How mean!

by Anonymousreply 28April 24, 2020 6:43 AM

R27 Large Marge WAS scary! I was a teen when that movie came out, but it still startled me!

by Anonymousreply 29April 24, 2020 6:44 AM

Yes, she was, r26. I'm all over this thread because I had many childhood fears, and living with her did not ease them. She wasn't deliberately mean, but was more a combo of rural toughness combined with what my sister and I suspect is undiagnosed autism. Her bio son is the Large Marge tormenting brother in r27.

by Anonymousreply 30April 24, 2020 6:55 AM

When I was four or five, I used to watch Concentration with my stay at home mom. She noticed that I would often leave the room during the show. She later figured out I was scared of the “eyeball” drawing that stood for the word “I”in the rebus because it was staring at me.

Also scared of the paddles used to revive people on Emergency and the Fembots on Bionic Woman.

by Anonymousreply 31April 24, 2020 6:57 AM

The United Artists' theme from the 1970s. I know-- I'm weird.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 24, 2020 7:03 AM

I was afraid of hippies! They used to hang out at the park at the end of our street and torment us kids. They would throw beer bottles at us to get us to leave because they wanted to get high. I would not go to the park if I knew they were down there.

by Anonymousreply 33April 24, 2020 7:35 AM

The Green Ghost game.

But it was a good kind of scared.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 24, 2020 7:58 AM

My father

by Anonymousreply 35April 24, 2020 8:22 AM

The closet. I still don't like them.

by Anonymousreply 36April 24, 2020 9:08 AM

I’ve never seen that one, r32. I would probably be scared of that, too.

The one I hated was A Current Affair. The loud bwanng at the end scared me most.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 24, 2020 9:18 AM

This son of a bitch from the Shining. I’m not exaggerating when I say that for over a year after I saw the movie I’d have to look down at the ground when I’d go upstairs to my room at night because I thought the bear man would be at the end of the hall in the bathroom watching me.

I was six when I saw the movie and he was the scariest thing I’d ever seen.

I still don’t like this part of the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38April 24, 2020 9:26 AM

The Unsolved Mysteries theme.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 24, 2020 9:40 AM

My parents had some Dark Mysteries tome they received from ordering Reader’s Digest. I was horrified by it, but of course would read about the Jersey Devil, witch doctors, cannibals, cow mutilations, crop circles, and whatever else til I was I unable to fall asleep.

by Anonymousreply 40April 24, 2020 10:16 AM

Airplanes flying overhead and trucks passing our car on the highway. Scared the shit out of me as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 41April 24, 2020 11:47 AM

R7, what is a low frequency buzzer and when would one encounter one? I used to have a wired smoke alarm in an old apartment and when it accidentally went off it emitted a low droning buzz, and it was so unnerving. Tell me about your fear...

R9, 3:15 scares me too, but I don’t know why. Tell me what I’m missing...TELL. ME.

by Anonymousreply 42April 24, 2020 11:58 AM

r42, like the buzz some electronic door lock electromagnets make when active. I think the sound is actually intentional... the magnet pulls the lock open, then briefly breaks the current at the very end to audibly vibrate so you'll know it's unlocked (and, I suspect, keep it from overheating, by briefly interrupting the current flow, and possibly communicate via unpleasant sound that the door shouldn't remain unlocked).

In a modern design, the same thing could be accomplished using a quiet stepper motor & a welcoming chime sound + LED-illuminated ring around the lock or knob.

by Anonymousreply 43April 24, 2020 2:07 PM

Saw footage of the female Manson followers with shaved heads and and X carved into their foreheads when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 44April 24, 2020 6:24 PM

This trailer—and they played it all the time at night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45April 24, 2020 6:25 PM

Sleeping with the door open- terrifying. My bedroom had two doors, one to the hallway and one to the kitchen. I was very afraid that the kitchen one would be opened at night and someone would come in from the balcony off of the kitchen and into my room at night. Also afraid of the door to the downstairs apartment our house had, or in general, being down there after my grandma died. I felt that something evil was down there. I also was afraid of plushy characters at our outside of amusement parks. If I can't see your face do not come near me. I was afraid of tube slides too, the kind that are all enclosed plastic. Afraid of being stuck in one and/or suffocating. (Turns out that's not so crazy as people have died in them in waterparks).

by Anonymousreply 46April 24, 2020 6:32 PM

This scared me when I was a kid. Nick at Night!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47April 24, 2020 6:33 PM

This movie is super campy, but the scene at 45:45 where the dude comes out of the grave scared the hell out of me after I saw it as a kid. Was terrified the dead dude would come into my room.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 24, 2020 6:38 PM

This is going to date me, but when I was a little, little kid the opening credits to Medical Center terrified me.

Look at this and tell me it wouldn't terrify a 4 year old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 24, 2020 6:39 PM

This one terrified me. What in God's name is that claw?????

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50April 24, 2020 6:45 PM

For some reason, the opening credits of The Wild, Wild West freaked me out as a kid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51April 24, 2020 7:06 PM

Night Gallery Intro, the show hasn't aged too well unfortunately.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52April 24, 2020 7:11 PM

The QUEER child catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. He might have been even scarier than the Wicked Witch Of The West in the Wizard Of Oz.

by Anonymousreply 53April 24, 2020 7:11 PM

R52 Oh, yeah. I would get scared and leave the room as a kid when that show came on.

by Anonymousreply 54April 24, 2020 7:13 PM

The opening to CHILLER THEATER on WPIX Channel 11. Was VERY creepy to me.

by Anonymousreply 55April 24, 2020 7:17 PM

I was afraid of black people. I grew-up in a town that just didn't have any, so as a kid mostly confined to our own little slice of neighborhood, we never saw them. EXCEPT for the garbage men, who would come through your yard carrying these ginormous trash cans, into which they would pour the contents of your family trash can. As a little kid, when everything looked ten times bigger than it was, when I'd be playing in the back yard, and forgot it was garbage day, those guys would come around the corner of the house and I would just be terrified.

by Anonymousreply 56April 24, 2020 7:57 PM

The scene in The Wizard Of OZ where the wicked witch showed up for the first time. I used to hide every time.

by Anonymousreply 57April 24, 2020 8:04 PM

The Oompa Loompas

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58April 24, 2020 8:09 PM

Gmork from the Neverending Story absolutely made me shit my pants every time I watched this movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59April 24, 2020 8:13 PM

R45 Jeez, that movie was SCARY! I've never really been able to not get creeped out by Anthony Hopkins since he was in it.

Also, the corpse "Mina" scene in the Frank Langella version of DRACULA:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60April 24, 2020 8:14 PM

Escalators. I tripped at the bottom of one when I was 3 or 4, and really banged up my knee. Wouldn't go on one for a few years unless my father carried me.

by Anonymousreply 61April 24, 2020 8:15 PM

The Tornados "Telstar".

I can't shake the feeling that as a 3 year old someone tried to sexually assault me and this was playing on the record player. Have always felt inexplicably anxious when I hear it, even though it's a beautiful piece of music.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62April 24, 2020 8:17 PM

R61 Yep, me too. And I was also afraid to go in an elevator by myself. One time I was with my mom in an elevator and someone accidentally pressed the basement "B" button. Well, evidently they had done some construction/renovations and bricked up the basement, because the elevator door opened and revealed a BRICK WALL right at the opening of the door and everyone in the elevator gasped! Scared the SHIT out of me!

by Anonymousreply 63April 24, 2020 8:21 PM

Two things:

Looking down a dark staircase going into an unlit basement at night.

The Winter Warlock in Santa Claus is Coming To Town

To my complete surprise, I discovered that I've never overcome the first one. Several years ago, I decided to rent a single family home instead of an apartment. One night, the cellar light bulb at the foot of the stairs blew out and I had to go down there and screw a new one in. I was petrified--and totally shocked to realize that I still had a deep fear of this.

by Anonymousreply 64April 24, 2020 8:44 PM

R21, that is such a common fear among children. So common, in fact, that Mister Rogers has a song about it. It reassures children that they can “never go down the drain” and explains that they’re much too large to fit through the little hole.

Bless that man, he really did understand children. RIP, Fred Rogers.

by Anonymousreply 65April 24, 2020 8:52 PM

Aside from the basement and other dark places, I was mostly afraid of certain people.

by Anonymousreply 66April 24, 2020 8:53 PM

Good old Fred.

by Anonymousreply 67April 24, 2020 8:59 PM

This is kinda dumb, but women with heavy facial hair. It just seemed odd as a child to see a woman with a mustache, lots of long chin hairs, etc

by Anonymousreply 68April 24, 2020 9:39 PM

"A mysterious virus that is going to wipe us all out within the next 12 months."

Oh fuck off, asshole. You're pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 69April 24, 2020 9:41 PM

I hated those fucking Rockit robots as a kid! Ugh uncanny valley hell. I didn’t realize the one in the bed was jerking off lol.

by Anonymousreply 70April 24, 2020 10:18 PM

My grandmother would never let us help her decorate her Christmas tree. She was a control freak who didn't want us screwing up ornament placement. She wouldn't say that, though. We would go over there and she'd tell all us kids, "oh, the elves helped me, you just missed them." The elves reportedly lived in her basement. I was terrified of her basement--there were creepy elves down there. Years later after she died, we were cleaning out her house and I realized how scared I still was of her basement.

by Anonymousreply 71April 24, 2020 10:18 PM

The very existence of the basking shark scared the hell out of me

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72April 25, 2020 12:55 PM

Those Dan Curtis productions written by the great horror fiction author Richard Matheson. "The Night Stalker"; scary as hell, and it seemed more like a documentary than a fictional story. "Trilogy of Terror", which featured Karen Black in the tale about the bloodthirsty Zuni fetish doll. I don't think anybody who saw that ever forgot it. And "Dead of Night", another trilogy whose final tale, "Bobby", was terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 73April 28, 2020 2:30 AM

Are You Afraid of the Dark is a good one. A few episodes of that really scared me as a kid.

I love scary things now, but as a kid, I'd flip out even around Halloween time when all the party/costume stores would put out their decorations and masks and stuff. I remember one that had a life-size cut out of the crypt keeper that scared me to death. The horror section of the video store was also a great place to get nightmare fuel.

by Anonymousreply 74April 28, 2020 2:36 AM

A fully erect penis.

by Anonymousreply 75April 28, 2020 3:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!