Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's Rona Barrett up to?

All this talk about 'Rona had me thinking about her. She used to be everywhere, too.

by Anonymousreply 51April 21, 2020 3:13 AM

I'm making Colortinis in heaven in case you wondered

by Anonymousreply 1April 20, 2020 5:29 PM

She moved to the DC Universe and time-traveled back to 1974.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 20, 2020 5:32 PM

Tom, while you're there, ask Milton Berle and Forrest Tucker to show you what you talked about on your show years ago (does this need explaining on Datalounge?). And I was already a fan of your show!

by Anonymousreply 3April 20, 2020 5:32 PM

That’s Lola Barnett, silly R2.

by Anonymousreply 4April 20, 2020 5:34 PM

She changed her name when she switched universes.

She's trying to avoid the Monitor!

by Anonymousreply 5April 20, 2020 5:36 PM

How did Rona get her hair like that?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 20, 2020 5:38 PM

This is what she's been ding, building an affordable retirement community.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 20, 2020 5:43 PM

Here's Rona and Sir Clement Freud (Sigmund Freud's grandson) getting into it on Jack Paar's show when Rona comes on, tells a scandalous tale about tennis star Bobby Riggs, makes another point about Richard Burton's drinking, and Sir Freud calls her out on it and they go at it. Rona is even bleeped at one point. It makes for classic viewing -- someone really telling a gossip columist that he thinks her life's work is horrendous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 20, 2020 5:49 PM

Ding.

Dong.

by Anonymousreply 9April 20, 2020 5:55 PM

R6 Backcombing and tons of hairspray?

by Anonymousreply 10April 20, 2020 5:58 PM

She was equally fatal.

by Anonymousreply 11April 20, 2020 6:11 PM

Rona Barrett felt there was NO difference between what she did and what Barbara Walters does

as Rona said she deals with FACTS in her celebrity reporting. and not gossip

Yet it was Barbara who got the multi-million dollar deal to do 4 Prime Time celebrity specials and not Rona. This despite Rona being at ABC for five years prior

Pissed Rona off and she bolted to NBC, where she barely lasted a year.

by Anonymousreply 12April 20, 2020 6:15 PM

In Rona's defense, at least she wasn't publicly squired by Roy Cohn like Babs Walters was.

by Anonymousreply 13April 20, 2020 6:19 PM

Barbara was better connected and presented herself more intelligently, and so she won. It's not Barbara's fault Rona wasn't more intelligent about self-marketing.

by Anonymousreply 14April 20, 2020 6:32 PM

Rona Barrett had her own magazine back then. So she was relatively smart in marketing herself. Long before Oprah stuck her mug on every month's zine.

by Anonymousreply 15April 20, 2020 6:34 PM

Here's an article on her from a few years back. It's pretty interesting.

One thing I've always thought was interesting about her was she was huge in multiple metro markets across the country, but she never reached the entire country. She was broadcasting at best in only 40% of the markets. So half the country knew her, but the other half didn't.

I grew up in a smaller metropolitan market in the Midwest and she just wasn't on the news where i grew up, so I only knew who she was because she was so regularly parodied in DC Comics (both as "Lola Barnett" and as "Rova Barkett," a poodle gossip columnist in "Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew"). And she pretty much disappeared nationally by the mid-80s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 20, 2020 6:48 PM

not that this matters a bit................but she was one of the reporters outside the front gate of Sharon Tates house in Aug of 1969 the morning after the murders. That has to be something you dont forget.

by Anonymousreply 17April 20, 2020 8:25 PM

What I found entertaining about her was how she would very seriously, in grave tones, report news like Suzanne Somers being fired from Three's Company. "As dawn broke on ABC Studios' Metromedia Square in Hollywood, set designers were hard at work on a tiny new set, secluded and hidden away from the main Three's Company set, where Suzanne Somers will tape contractually obligated minute long appearances in the next several episodes. Somers is said to be distraught, and is at this very moment receiving counseling from her priest as well as her longtime manager and husband Alan Hamill."

I recall Tom Cruise was supposedly angry that Rona grilled him about having wanted to be a priest. A bit too close for gay comfort, I guess. I liked her. Tom Snyder HATED when he was made to split The Tomorrow Show with her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 20, 2020 8:43 PM

All I remember is her autobiography begins, "Let me put it in just one inch, please"--supposedly said pleadingly by a major Hollywood star.

Which star? RIn Tin Tin?

by Anonymousreply 19April 20, 2020 9:33 PM

[quote]So half the country knew her, but the other half didn't.

Not true at all. She was a correspondent on both Good Morning America and Entertainment Tonight, both of which were seen nationwide.

by Anonymousreply 20April 20, 2020 10:34 PM

She was on Match Game often, and they let us know her job even if she wasn't syndicated there.

Shows like Carol Burnett were constantly doing parodies of her. Johnny Carson referred to Rona a lot.

It was impossible not to know who Rona Barrett was in the Seventies no matter where you lived. You knew her distinctive voice, hairstyle, and many other details.

by Anonymousreply 21April 20, 2020 10:49 PM

In the 70's anyone with a head knew Rona Barrett. There were only 3 networks so it was hard to miss her. There was no "Entertainment Tonight" yet, or E! She had a magazine at every check out line.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 20, 2020 11:13 PM

Applause for her senior community.

by Anonymousreply 23April 20, 2020 11:14 PM

R22, damn that's some good looking stars.

by Anonymousreply 24April 20, 2020 11:16 PM

I remember her being on a talk show when the Jim Nabors/Rock Hudson marriage rumor was going on and she said there was no truth in it, and the rumor had been started by a group of vicious homosexuals.

And Datalounge didn't even exist back then!

by Anonymousreply 25April 20, 2020 11:21 PM

Rona was right about the marriage.

by Anonymousreply 26April 20, 2020 11:22 PM

According to wikipedia

Barrett founded the Rona Barrett Lavender Company, in Santa Ynez, near Santa Barbara, in the Central Coast region of California, as a small producer of lavender bath, beauty, food and aromatherapy products.[10] The company follows a model of using celebrity-branded consumer goods to generate funds and raise awareness of a non-profit cause. A portion of all company proceeds were donated to the Rona Barrett Foundation. According to the foundation's website, they have ceased selling lavender products and the company has been sold.

Barrett started The Rona Barrett Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to the aid and support of senior citizens in need, that was supported by a 2% portion of the profits from her lavender business until it ceased production. The foundation now only takes direct donations and is working on building a village called "the Golden Inn and Cottages" for seniors in need of proper housing and care facilities. As of May 2012 it was a pilot program that was still under development.[11]

by Anonymousreply 27April 20, 2020 11:57 PM

I remember her stint on Entertainment Tonight. It was a weird fit. She wanted to do more hard hitting stories, not the usual ET fluff. I don't think she lasted very long on that show. The very last thing I remember her doing was hosting an episode of Moonlighting that gave the history of Dave and Maddie on the show up to that point. It was at the time when they were having trouble completing episodes on time, and it was basically a glorified clip show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 21, 2020 1:01 AM

R28, did ET ever explain on air why she left?

by Anonymousreply 29April 21, 2020 1:07 AM

Her show is on Amazon. She even has an academy awards special before Barbara Walters popularized it, where she interviews Jack Nicholson, Glenda Jackson, Carol Kane, Walter Matthau and others.

by Anonymousreply 30April 21, 2020 1:17 AM

R29 it was totally what I said. She wanted to do more hard hitting, serious journalism about Hollywood type of stuff. ET was very much moving away from any of that stuff by that time. The kind of serious reporting Rona did about Hollywood on television just isn't done anymore. Yes, she trafficked in light gossip, but she also did a ton of stuff on Hollywood union disputes, salaries, the cocaine problem Hollywood was having, and things of that nature. ET, produced by Paramount, was increasingly NOT into reporting on that stuff as the '80s went on.

by Anonymousreply 31April 21, 2020 1:22 AM

Rona Barrett (born Rona Burstein, October 8, 1936)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 21, 2020 1:23 AM

Rona Barrett on reporting from the West Coast for "Good Morning America"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 21, 2020 1:24 AM

Rona Barrett on her personal war on drugs - TelevisionAcademy.com/Interviews

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 21, 2020 1:26 AM

She had a record in 1974!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 21, 2020 1:28 AM

[quote] it was totally what I said.

I asked whether they ever explained on air why she left.

by Anonymousreply 36April 21, 2020 1:28 AM

Again Rona felt it should been HER that anchored ABC News with Harry Reasoner and NOT Barbara Walters

by Anonymousreply 37April 21, 2020 1:30 AM

Rona said she was STUNNED absolutely STUNNED by Barbara Walters hiring at ABC (Rona's home) - in what seemed like a trade, Rona bolted to NBC (Barbara former "Home") - but unfortunately Rona didn't last too long.

by Anonymousreply 38April 21, 2020 1:33 AM

Rona Barrett on her early days in television

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 21, 2020 1:34 AM

R19, Kirk Douglas

by Anonymousreply 40April 21, 2020 1:34 AM

What does Barbara Walters have, that I don't have?

- Rona Barrett

by Anonymousreply 41April 21, 2020 1:36 AM

R41, a speech impediment.

by Anonymousreply 42April 21, 2020 1:37 AM

R41. And a dirty diaper.

by Anonymousreply 43April 21, 2020 1:45 AM

r22 Entertainment Tonight started in the '70s.

by Anonymousreply 44April 21, 2020 1:47 AM

[quote]Rona was right about the marriage.

And about the vicious homosexuals.

by Anonymousreply 45April 21, 2020 1:48 AM

Her senior community is not too far from Neverland Ranch. Perhaps they should annex it.

by Anonymousreply 46April 21, 2020 1:49 AM

Rona Barrett was too in love with herself (if you read any of her books) and it became a big turn-off. Self promotion backfires after awhile especially when the person is annoying in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 47April 21, 2020 1:56 AM

83 now and looks like one of the Golden Girls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 21, 2020 2:00 AM

Entertainment Tonight started in Fall 1981!

by Anonymousreply 49April 21, 2020 2:03 AM

On Rona’s first special, Liza is coked out of her mind! 1975!!!!

Raquel and Cher seem high as well.

Cher’s bedroom!

So glad this is on Amazon Prime!

by Anonymousreply 50April 21, 2020 3:06 AM

When she was promoting the special, Barrett said that Liza was a carbon copy of her mother. At the end of the special, Liza excuses herself to the bathroom. Not to hard to figure what she was going to do there.

by Anonymousreply 51April 21, 2020 3:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!