Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World"

Watching a pristine gorgeous widescreen presentation on ScreenPix channel. Almost 60 years old and it is still three hours of laugh out loud high jinks. Not a bad performance in the whole thing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94April 22, 2020 10:21 PM

Some of us are old enough to have seen it in its original run.

by Anonymousreply 1April 18, 2020 12:05 AM

I watched it several months ago. I had seen it before when I was a child. I wouldn't say it's funny. There are some sections of the movie, like when the couple is locked in the basement of the hardware store, that went on way too long.

by Anonymousreply 2April 18, 2020 12:06 AM

Uneven but it is wonderful seeing all these people and southern Cal in the early 60s. A real Cinerama time capsule and some of it is very funny. Tracy stops the film dead every time he appears. I believe the film was started in 3 strip but switched to the single strip shortly after filming began.

by Anonymousreply 3April 18, 2020 12:19 AM

My father, a hard-core Ayn Rander and John Bircher, hated this wonderful movie.

by Anonymousreply 4April 18, 2020 12:28 AM

[quote] Some of us are old enough to have seen it in its original run.

Some of us knew the earth when it was just a mad world.

by Anonymousreply 5April 18, 2020 12:33 AM

I LOVE THIS MOVIE and have seen it many times. In my opinion, the theatrical cut, with a run time of 2 hour and 40 minutes, is the best because it keeps the laughs steady and the comedy tight. For some reason, in the 1990s, Stanley Kramer decided to monkey around and restore a bunch of extra footage that didn't really add anything of value. The footage is interesting, but not entertaining. Skip those versions unless you are a fan of boredom.

There are so many great moments and characters in this movie. The interaction between Milton Berle and Ethel Merman stands out, as does the interaction between Phil Silvers and Jonathan Winters. Unfortunately, there is also a lot of racism and sexism in it, too. It is a product of its time, when apparently white men ruled the world.

by Anonymousreply 6April 18, 2020 12:40 AM

This was my choice on that movies of the 60s thread recently. One thing I asked is that I seem to recall that in the 70s it was shown annually, like the Wizard of Oz. Was this the case and was it on New Year’s Eve?

by Anonymousreply 7April 18, 2020 12:41 AM

Like many Stanley Kramer films, it';s a bit heavy handed.

by Anonymousreply 8April 18, 2020 12:42 AM

I've probably seen this movie 60 times in my life. It holds up because those characters have a lot of truth to them. This film still makes me laugh out loud every time I see it again.

by Anonymousreply 9April 18, 2020 12:42 AM

Spencer Tracy and Mickey Rooney reunited from Boys Town!

by Anonymousreply 10April 18, 2020 12:44 AM

Buddy Hackett and Jonathan Winters are two actors that I find too annoying to watch in anything. I liked the rest of the actors.

by Anonymousreply 11April 18, 2020 12:45 AM

One of my 3 favorite movies of all time. I've had it on DVD for years and pull it out to watch several times a year.

by Anonymousreply 12April 18, 2020 12:47 AM

I love this movie. Seeing it in the movie theatre is a great memory of my childhood. Love me some Edie Adams.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 18, 2020 12:48 AM

That cast was the creme de la creme of comic actors of the day. I seriously doubt anyone could even make that movie today. The costs in cast salaries alone would be staggering.

by Anonymousreply 14April 18, 2020 12:49 AM

I also loved the soundtrack. My parents got it for me for Christmas and those were the days when finding a record album for an offbeat movie soundtrack was no mean feat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 18, 2020 12:50 AM

Once it hit a critical mass of signed names, everyone in Hollywood was begging to do a cameo, paid or not. About the only major stars not seen were George Burns and Gracie Allen.

by Anonymousreply 16April 18, 2020 12:51 AM

I have always loved that movie. It’s good to know others enjoyed it as well.

Does anyone remember Cannonball Run?

by Anonymousreply 17April 18, 2020 12:53 AM

The fight scene with Jonathan Winters and the 2 gas station attendants was epic. Arnold Stang, one of the attendants has always been a favorite of mine, from his days doing voice work on the Top Cat cartoon series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 18, 2020 12:59 AM

I like the movie a lot, but it isn't super "funny" as it's touted. The best one line in the movie is Jack Benny's five-second cameo.

by Anonymousreply 19April 18, 2020 1:03 AM

Anyone else mix up Stanley Kramer and Stanley Kubrick?

by Anonymousreply 20April 18, 2020 1:04 AM

[quote]One thing I asked is that I seem to recall that in the 70s it was shown annually, like the Wizard of Oz. Was this the case and was it on New Year’s Eve?

Yes, it was shown annually. I do remember a few times at New Year's, but was it ever broadcast during Labor Day? Because for some reason I associate this movie with Labor day.

I always thought it was funny. Part of the fun was that I knew who a lot of the actors were. I'm wondering if today's generation would know who any of these people are.

by Anonymousreply 21April 18, 2020 1:08 AM

I love Sylvester!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 18, 2020 1:10 AM

[quote] I believe the film was started in 3 strip but switched to the single strip shortly after filming began.

No it was shot in Super Panavison 70MM and was designed to be the first Cinerama film that could be exhibited in regular theaters . It opened in NY and LA as roadshow engagements.

by Anonymousreply 23April 18, 2020 1:11 AM

“What are ya waiting for, an engraved invitation?”

by Anonymousreply 24April 18, 2020 1:14 AM

R8 has it right. Precisely.

But in this case, with a movie that sends up every stereotype, gag, schtick and bit in what at the time was 90 years of show biz (extending back before movies), it did its job. Yes, uneven.

But Kramer also had an impossible job. Can you imagine keeping those impossible egos in harness enough to get the thing shot? The stories on the drinking alone are legendary.

Now I watch it for Ethel Merman. I'm always grateful they used her, which few other productions would for a film. She was perfect, and brought out the best in everyone she appeared on screen with.

by Anonymousreply 25April 18, 2020 1:16 AM

Watched it years ago and it's one of my most memorable films partly because I'm familiar with all the actors. That said except for a little nostalgia I don't think I would find it funny today.

[quote]It’s in this box buried under this… buried under this big W. You’ll see it. You’ll see it under this… under this big W. You can’t miss it, a big… a big W.

by Anonymousreply 26April 18, 2020 1:40 AM

I love how Milton Berle is always the last one out of every shot. No accident there.

by Anonymousreply 27April 18, 2020 1:43 AM

I think I was around 10 or 11 when I saw it (first run.) Someone had to explain to me why it was funny when Jimmy Durante kicked the bucket (literally) in the opening scene. I had never heard the expression "kick the bucket" before that. Strange how these things stick with you over 50 years later.

The movie originally opened a few weeks before Kennedy was assassinated ... I don't recall how that affected its box office. Maybe it hadn't opened wide at that point.

by Anonymousreply 28April 18, 2020 1:58 AM

Huge box office smash: third biggest of the year, after "Cleopatra" and "How the West was Won".

by Anonymousreply 29April 18, 2020 2:08 AM

I didn’t realize Cleopatra had been a hit. I guess it was just way over budget.

by Anonymousreply 30April 18, 2020 2:21 AM

I always loved Jonathan Winters going after Phil Silvers, a reaaallll ugly guy.

by Anonymousreply 31April 18, 2020 2:32 AM

I'm watching it now.

by Anonymousreply 32April 18, 2020 2:42 AM

Every time I would watch this film, as each actor came onto the screen, I would try to guess whether they were dead or alive.

So who from the cast is still alive? Carl Reiner

He might be the only one.

by Anonymousreply 33April 18, 2020 2:57 AM

[quote]I've probably seen this movie 60 times in my life. It holds up because those characters have a lot of truth to them. This film still makes me laugh out loud every time I see it again.

Along with "Some Like It Hot" it's my favorite comedy.

But I think it's only really funny for people who are familiar with those iconic comedians and actors.

by Anonymousreply 34April 18, 2020 3:04 AM

Then and Now comparison of filming locations:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 18, 2020 3:08 AM

I love the scene with Tracy and Dorothy Provine in the park.

by Anonymousreply 36April 18, 2020 3:17 AM

Barrie Chase (Sylvester's girlfriend) is still alive. She was most notable as Fred Astaire's dancing partner on his TV specials.

by Anonymousreply 37April 18, 2020 3:31 AM

Merman steals every scene she is in. Working with her was a nightmare, according to Carol Channning, who herself was a nightmare so that's saying something.

by Anonymousreply 38April 18, 2020 3:33 AM

Merman steals every scene she is in. Working with her was a nightmare, according to Carol Channning, who herself was a nightmare so that's saying something.

by Anonymousreply 39April 18, 2020 3:33 AM

Sad that the big W is now just a stump.

by Anonymousreply 40April 18, 2020 3:49 AM

Now listen here, because it's all your fault!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 18, 2020 4:26 AM

r27, his dick is so big it's not out of the scene until 5 seconds later.

by Anonymousreply 42April 18, 2020 4:32 AM

I recently got the DVD from my family as a Christmas present. They know what I like!

by Anonymousreply 43April 18, 2020 4:35 AM

I saw Dick Shawn on the Tonight show many years ago and he asked Johnny if he'd like to see his impression of Jack Carson. I couldn't believe anyone would think of doing Jack Carson, but he did and it was really funny.

by Anonymousreply 44April 18, 2020 5:13 AM

[quote]Barrie Chase (Sylvester's girlfriend) is still alive. She was most notable as Fred Astaire's dancing partner on his TV specials.

Her dancing in this fascinated me as a little gayling. I didn't understand why she looked so intense and angry. I think I assumed Sylvester was paying her to dance for him and she didn't really like him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45April 18, 2020 5:51 AM

[quote]Then and Now comparison of filming locations:

Cool to see thanks, Those stuntmen, stunt drivers and pilots were fearless.

by Anonymousreply 46April 18, 2020 10:17 AM

[quote]Sad that the big W is now just a stump.

It wasn't that big to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 47April 18, 2020 4:43 PM

Cape cod a semi remake in 2001 as the movie Rat Race.

Three Oscar winners in the film don't actually help it though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 18, 2020 5:19 PM

For decades on TV and even VHS people have been watching only half this movie. When Laser Discs came into being, cinephiles demanded that the studios release their widescreen films in their proper aspect ratio even though there would be black bars on top and bottom. DVD's followed suit. So now you can see Super Panavison 70MM pictures as they were meant to be seen. On TV this scene would have looked like this to fit the box shape TV screen, but click on the picture to see the whole shot. If you haven't seen IAMMMMW in years, check it out in widescreen and see what you've missed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 18, 2020 5:40 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50April 18, 2020 5:42 PM

Correct aspect movies have been available for decades. TMC always show them properly. Once widescreen TVs became the norm, for most movies the black bars disappeared. Only a few movies shoot in a super-wide aspect ratio.

by Anonymousreply 51April 18, 2020 5:45 PM

Jon Lovitz was hilarious in "Rat Race"!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52April 18, 2020 5:50 PM

[quote] Cape cod a semi remake in 2001 as the movie Rat Race.

?

by Anonymousreply 53April 18, 2020 6:12 PM

[quote]Correct aspect movies have been available for decades.

No shit Sherlock, what was the last VHS did you buy? Laser Discs were introduced in the late 70"s . TMC didn't present widescreen until the studios made the print available when they struck The DVD master. I did not say this all happened yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 54April 18, 2020 6:17 PM

R52 Wow, that must have been a first.

by Anonymousreply 55April 18, 2020 6:20 PM

Cleopatra was so expensive that even though it filled theaters, it didn't break even until Fox sold it to television. Even foreign showings couldn't make it break even in its original run. Fox was nearly bankrupted by the initial costs.

by Anonymousreply 56April 18, 2020 6:37 PM

Here's an interesting IAMMMMW documentary with cast interviews.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57April 18, 2020 7:25 PM

Is there a version anywhere of the original 3+ hour roadshow release? Every version I see these days is - at most- 167 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 58April 18, 2020 8:26 PM

Rat Race has its moments, but it is not as good as IAMMMMW. The best scene (and the only one that is laugh out loud funny) in Rat Race is...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59April 19, 2020 1:21 AM

R52 especially the scene where Jon lovitz and Kathy najimy take their family to see the Barbie museum which is actually the Klaus Barbie museum. The writing in Hitler's car LOL.

by Anonymousreply 60April 19, 2020 1:43 AM

R52 especially the scene where Jon lovitz and Kathy najimy take their family to see the Barbie museum which is actually the Klaus Barbie museum. The writing in Hitler's car LOL.

by Anonymousreply 61April 19, 2020 1:43 AM

[quote] LOL

LoL! :)

by Anonymousreply 62April 19, 2020 1:47 AM

The Criterion contains both the 163 minute version and the reconstructed 197 minute version, R58.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63April 19, 2020 1:53 AM

Dick Shawn looked a bit like Jethro (Max Baer Jr.) from "The Beverly Hillbillies" in the film.

by Anonymousreply 64April 19, 2020 1:54 AM

I bought (and 'own') the standard def stream of Mad from Amazon years ago. It's one of the worst transfers to video I've ever seen. It's letterboxed 4:3, which can be OK, but it's very low resolution and was clearly done on ancient equipment with poor color and lots of movement smear. The hi-def version on Amazon is fine, though.

by Anonymousreply 65April 19, 2020 2:15 AM

[quote]How the West was Won

Now that was a good movie.

by Anonymousreply 66April 19, 2020 2:49 AM

Why didn't Lucy make a cameo ?

by Anonymousreply 67April 19, 2020 5:09 AM

[quote]Barrie Chase (Sylvester's girlfriend) is still alive. She was most notable as Fred Astaire's dancing partner on his TV specials.

She was also the "Mutual, I'm sure!" girl in [italic]White Christmas.[/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68April 19, 2020 5:14 AM

For R23. No it was shot in Super Panavison 70MM and was designed to be the first Cinerama film that could be exhibited in regular theaters . It opened in NY and LA as roadshow engagements.

Honey do your research.

'It originally was planned for three-camera Cinerama, and some reports state that initial filming was done using three cameras but was abandoned.'

'ULTRA PANAVISION 70 was used to film It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. Other films shot in Ultra Panavision 70 and released in Cinerama include The Greatest Story Ever Told, The Hallelujah Trail, Battle of the Bulge, and Khartoum. Super Panavision 70 films released in Cinerama include Grand Prix, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and Ice Station Zebra.'

Ultra Panavision 70 is also in the credits of the original poster art.

by Anonymousreply 69April 19, 2020 8:05 AM

No way Lucy was going to do a cameo -A starring role, or nothing! She might have done the Ethel Merman role, but she'd have shot anyone who suggested it. She saw herself as Sylvester's girlfriend...

by Anonymousreply 70April 19, 2020 7:15 PM

Why not? She did a cameo in the Walter Matthau comedy "A Guide for the Married Man" in 1967.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71April 19, 2020 7:53 PM

It was on New Year's Eve. Maybe on a local NY Metro TV station only?

by Anonymousreply 72April 19, 2020 11:20 PM

I grew up in Chicago and it always aired on New Year's Eve in the late 1970s. (I think it was on the CBS affiliate, which was WBBM Channel 2, but it could have been on Channel 7, which was ABC.) It would start at 8:30 pm and go until midnight, which meant it was padded with about 50 minutes of commercial interruptions. I was a kid then, and I can remember watching it with my friends.

by Anonymousreply 73April 20, 2020 12:21 AM

Lucille Ball was the head of a major television studio and filming her own TV show at the time. Additionally, she was filming the movie Critics Choice. Why would she want to take third billing with a bunch of hasbeens that ten years later would be begging to be on The Love Boat.

by Anonymousreply 74April 20, 2020 12:28 AM

Barrie Chase also played Diane Taylor in the original Cape Fear. She is brutalized by Max Cady and is too terrified to testify against him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75April 20, 2020 12:46 AM

Merman joined Ball the next year on her TV show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76April 20, 2020 1:02 AM

"Merman joined Ball the next year on her TV show."

Coz she'd work for cheap. I had two kids to put through school, boxes of red hair dye to buy and cartons of Chesterfields to smoke. Plus Vance kept whining about she wanted better looking clothes. I had to trim the budget somewhere. I really wanted Doris Day for that role but her people wouldn't even return my calls. Some casting director wanted me to audition some pop singer named Diana Ross. I took one look at her picture and said, "If I want color on this show, I'll invite Desi Arnaz back. Coz he's as close to ethnic as I'm going. " Christ, you know how much that Light Egyptian cost? Max Factor tried to sell me some of that shit and I said, "I can do better with chocolate smeared on my face. Ask me how I know about that! "

by Anonymousreply 77April 20, 2020 1:32 AM

Barrie at 83....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78April 22, 2020 2:35 AM

Evie Adams was the Kylie Jener of her day re makeup.

by Anonymousreply 79April 22, 2020 2:38 AM

Evie? Jener?

by Anonymousreply 80April 22, 2020 3:21 AM

Yes. Here she was pre-makeover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81April 22, 2020 3:32 AM

Chase was a terrific beautiful dancer. I'm sorry they couldn't make room for her in 60s musicals. I bet she could write a very entertaining interesting autobio. She's one of the last left of the end of the golden age of the Hollywood studio system.

by Anonymousreply 82April 22, 2020 5:54 AM

A long time ago I had a neighbor who had a bit part in the movie. He said every time the movie was on tv he received a $42 check in the mail.

by Anonymousreply 83April 22, 2020 6:21 AM

Love this movie. One of my favorite lines: "You're not going to do anything. Now drive on you big, stupid idiot!"

by Anonymousreply 84April 22, 2020 8:50 PM

[quote]Evie Adams was the Kylie Jener of her day re makeup.

Edie.

Actually, in the early 60s she sort of patterned her look and mannerism after Marilyn Monroe.

Her series of big production commercials for cigars were fab.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85April 22, 2020 9:04 PM

Edie Adams has died.

by Anonymousreply 86April 22, 2020 9:09 PM

Edie had a fun cameo part in the first TALES OF THE CITY. Her make up was drag level by that time.

by Anonymousreply 87April 22, 2020 9:12 PM

EdIe Adams twisted the knife in the last "I Love Lucy" episode, singing "That’s All" with Viv Vance accompanying on the piano. Lucy filed the divorce papers later that day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88April 22, 2020 9:48 PM

I get this mixed up with "Far from the Madding Crowd"

by Anonymousreply 89April 22, 2020 9:50 PM

R85: "Actually, in the early 60s she sort of patterned her look and mannerism after Marilyn Monroe."

Unsuccessfully would be an understatement.

by Anonymousreply 90April 22, 2020 10:03 PM

Of course you do, R89.

I have the same issue with "The Madness, Madness, Madness, Madness of King George" and "MadMadMadMadame Bovary."

by Anonymousreply 91April 22, 2020 10:05 PM

Her sisters were just as talented....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92April 22, 2020 10:05 PM

Math skills, OP? Also this movie is a drag. Funny bone, OP?

by Anonymousreply 93April 22, 2020 10:14 PM

"I wouldn't say it's funny."

Oh for crap's sake, of COURSE it was funny! It was frequently hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 94April 22, 2020 10:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!