Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Isolation and Pointless Nostalgia

I have been watching an awful lot of television during our stay at home order. I never watch much, but the past three weeks have really increased my intake. So there is an episode of My Three Sons on that I watched because it was on. It guest-starred Eve Arden as an actress who wrote a sizzling autobiography. Somehow the dog gets on the train, but that's beside the point (even if it is the plot). But everything about it made me nostalgic for things long gone: Fred meets Reta Shaw on the train in the lounge car (side-by-side seats with tables and a lamp), she's dressed in a mink stole with a corsage and a floral hat. Fred's father-in-law and three sons are at the station to meet him and they all wear coats and ties. Maudie Prickett plays Brownie, Eve's secretary.

I am usually cynical about people who like programs from their youth because "they were simpler times" (yeah, The Brady Bunch in the 1960s and 70s when *nothing* was going on!). I know, huge Mary!, but it really struck a chord and I wonder if this is a weird side effect of the current tumult.

by Anonymousreply 1April 14, 2020 7:24 PM

Was the clothing worn by the characters worn by everyday people or is this television dressing? I'll readily admit that the characters from these older television programs wore better and classier clothing than people do today but what about real people? How did they dress? I have a hint of this myself. I will not wear a button-up shirt without a tie in public and sometimes a jacket. If I am going to go casual, I'll wear a polo but never a button-up shirt without a tie.

by Anonymousreply 1April 14, 2020 7:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!