Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

_Modern Family_ Series Finale

I surprised we don't have a thread about the _Modern Family_ series finale from this week on ABC. How do we feel about it?

I think one half hour finale would have summed it up fine. I do admit it I'll miss hearing about all their trials and tribulations each week. It was so ground breaking with Mitch and Cam 11 years ago. I even grew a beard since Mitchel had one!

by Anonymousreply 42April 13, 2020 3:22 PM

If the show had ended after five years it would have been regarded as a classic, but it limped along and ended up feeling like a greedy cash grab by producers and actors.

by Anonymousreply 1April 11, 2020 3:03 PM

It was pretty good - not overly sentimental, but I do agree it could have been done in a single episode.

The whole convenient bit with Haley and her family moving into Cam and Mitch's brand new house was pretty stupid, though. How are they going to pay the rent/mortgage?

If I had been Mitch, I'd have said "no way" to moving to Missouri.

by Anonymousreply 2April 11, 2020 3:05 PM

I watched it during the first three or four years and thought it was quite witty.

I tried to tune back in last year, but it was achingly unfunny, and the former child actors, especially Manny, had morphed into spectacularly untalented adult actors. (I am in the minority who thought the effete Manny of a decade ago was quite well done.)

I have no interest in the finale. It ended for me years ago.

by Anonymousreply 3April 11, 2020 3:18 PM

R3 Same. I loved it in the first season, then I loved the few seasons that followed that. However, I started to feel it was comedy by numbers by about year 5. The scripts were becoming identical. I agree with R1. This was a show that would have been a classic for years to come, had they ended it at season 5. However, they have now produced so many mediocre episodes it will likely be forgotten in a few years time.

by Anonymousreply 4April 11, 2020 6:06 PM

Is it in syndication yet?

by Anonymousreply 5April 11, 2020 8:32 PM

I would have thought so. It's had well over 100 episodes. That's why they could have bowed out at season 5, they would have produced enough to go into syndication.

by Anonymousreply 6April 11, 2020 8:33 PM

I didn't care for most of the characters but I hated Ed O'Neill and the bitchy cheerleader daughter the most.

by Anonymousreply 7April 11, 2020 9:21 PM

R2, Haley didn't move into Mitch and Cam's new house, they were renting their old place.

by Anonymousreply 8April 11, 2020 9:36 PM

I thought the point of the show was for the audience to hate all of the characters equally? I know I did.

I agree with what was already stated, the first fiveish seasons were great, and I'll actually watch the older episodes if I run into them while flipping through channels.

by Anonymousreply 9April 11, 2020 9:37 PM

I wish the trend of talking to the camera reality show style would end. It's time to move on.

by Anonymousreply 10April 11, 2020 9:47 PM

Did we ever decide if Nolan Gould was family?

by Anonymousreply 11April 11, 2020 9:48 PM

r11 Oh, honey......

by Anonymousreply 12April 11, 2020 9:52 PM

R10 It's now become a way to produce 'TV Comedy' that no longer requires jokes, as there is no studio audience to laugh. Watch the UK 'The Office' and see why this concept worked initially. I also felt Lisa Kudrow's 'The Comeback' nailed the one camera documentary too. The point of filming a comedy like a documentary is the camera is supposed evoke a behaviour in the subject. So Ricky Gervais always said David Brent was actually an OK guy in real life, but he was playing up to the camera and unwittingly making a complete fool of himself. Similarly, Kudrow's Valerie Cherish is constantly 'performing' for the camera. So the humour is brilliant when they say or do something knowing it's been filmed and try to back track. Both The Comeback and The Office UK eventually showed glimpses of the leads real personas and their decency came across.

What I started to notice with Modern Family, is the talking directly into the camera served little purpose. As the characters were not aware of a broken fourth wall. So it the direct to camera talking started to become irritating, when you noticed the characters clearly weren't interacting with the camera the rest of the time.

by Anonymousreply 13April 11, 2020 9:57 PM

Did they address the "documentary film crew" finally being out of a job in the finale?

That never made any sense and turned me off from the start.

by Anonymousreply 14April 11, 2020 10:20 PM

I wasnt all that thrilled with it. I thought mitch and Cam were too exaggerated campy etc. Nolan Gould turned into a cutey for sure.

by Anonymousreply 15April 11, 2020 10:24 PM

The documentary gimmick is going to age very poorly, with future viewers finding it ridiculous. Because it is.

by Anonymousreply 16April 11, 2020 10:25 PM

I did enjoy one scene from the first season when Jay found a necklace in Manny's possession. He calmly asked Manny if he intended to wear the necklace. He have a subtle look of panic on his face. You could tell he was thinking that he might have turned another son gay.

by Anonymousreply 17April 11, 2020 10:32 PM

R13 Yes, it might have worked initially for some shows but it's so overdone. R16 No question, the talking to the camera will one day be seen as just as dated and ridiculous as the over the top audience reactions of 80s sitcoms.

by Anonymousreply 18April 11, 2020 10:35 PM

I watched the wonderful series finale of Schitt's Creek right before I watched the Modern Family one and it paled in comparison. Mitch is an idiot for moving to Missouri, no way could Haley and her mentally retarded husband afford Cam and Mitch's old place, and Phil and Claire would be thrilled the kids are moving out so they can wear disguises and fuck all over the house. I did think it was kind of sweet that Jay learned Spanish but it's been 11 years he should be fluent by now. Lilly is the devil.

by Anonymousreply 19April 11, 2020 10:36 PM

So great things happened to everyone at the same time, resulting in everyone relocating at the same time. Sounds like the series finale of Good Times.

by Anonymousreply 20April 12, 2020 12:20 AM

It was nice, but it also left me rather cold. And am I the only one who got a Golden Girls' finale vibe from the repeated "group hug!" bit? The whole thing with Mitch and Cam getting the new baby and the new house only to move to Missouri? Haley, Alex and Luke cramping Claire and Phil's style one moment and then in the next scene they all are ready to move out?

It almost feels like the showrunners expected to get another season and then scrambled to deliver a finale.

by Anonymousreply 21April 12, 2020 1:21 AM

I never could stand Phil right from the get go and right to this end. Most of the shows in these last few years centered around Phil or Phil and Clair who I really don't like either. So I watched very sporadically the last few years. I've seen better series endings. This one seemed very false, that all those things would happen at the same time and that Mitch would ever move to Missouri or that he'd want his kids to grow up in such a place.

How much surgery has the actress who plays Gloria had? She looks younger now than she did on the first show of the series,

by Anonymousreply 22April 12, 2020 1:35 AM

Haven't watched yet. Please tell me that Luke stepped out of the shower, pool, or bathroom naked and nearly erect?!?! Yes?

by Anonymousreply 23April 12, 2020 2:08 AM

[quote]no way could Haley and her mentally retarded husband afford Cam and Mitch's old place,

I assumed that Cam got a HUGE pay increase becoming head coach at the university. Also, they filmed it prior to AirBnBs complete collapse, so they had been renting it out and making money.

Cam and Mitch are probably not charging them a lot to rent the lower apartment, and they are managing the rental of the upper one. When the husband finally finishes nursing school, he'll make a decent living - probably making about $50-60K as an RN in Los Angeles.

by Anonymousreply 24April 12, 2020 2:14 AM

Oh as an RN, Dylan's absolutely getting the coronavirus r24. I would have preferred that as a finale.

by Anonymousreply 25April 12, 2020 2:21 AM

It was such a funny show the first two years: the kids were such un-selfconscious child actors, and were hilarious. But then they grew up and be came mannered and awful (except for the girl who plays Haley, who has always been funny). And Cam's hysteria act grew so tiresome and unfunny.

by Anonymousreply 26April 12, 2020 2:29 AM

I loved the awkward moments between Jay and Phil, e.g. the time in Hawaii when they ended up laying on top of each other on a hammock, the time Jay sat on a bench, blocking the view of Phil's real estate sign; the remaining words said "Not a man". There was another awkward moment during the finale. Would have liked to see a scene where Jay admits he's glad that Claire married Phil and he couldn't have a better son-in-law (except for Cam).

by Anonymousreply 27April 12, 2020 2:37 AM

NEVER liked this show for the gay couple. Horrible portrayal of gay men. Absolutely awful.

by Anonymousreply 28April 12, 2020 2:53 AM

I gave up after the first season

by Anonymousreply 29April 12, 2020 3:07 AM

Is it true that in the second-to-last episode there was a brief shot of Phil's butt crack? Somehow I missed that.

by Anonymousreply 30April 12, 2020 8:14 PM

R30, yep.

by Anonymousreply 31April 12, 2020 8:20 PM

Hoping Jesse Tyler Whatsersnatch and Fatty Boom Blatty fade into oblivion

by Anonymousreply 32April 12, 2020 8:25 PM

Was Phil's ass hairy?

by Anonymousreply 33April 12, 2020 8:25 PM

I watched it a couple nights ago. Or attempted to. I found it so overblown and mawkish it was making me very depressed so I had to switch over to the Rachel Maddow Show.

by Anonymousreply 34April 12, 2020 10:47 PM

The adults were paid a lot of money, the kids not so much. I wonder whether any of them will score another show. I doubt the kids will. Other than Ed O'Neill and Sophia Vergara, Phil is probably the only one who'll get another show any time soon.

by Anonymousreply 35April 12, 2020 10:52 PM

Sad news ladies Nolan’s not gay

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 13, 2020 1:28 AM

Julie Bowen already has another show lined up. Hopefully that was the lsst we see of Lilly and that unfunny pig.

by Anonymousreply 37April 13, 2020 1:50 AM

I liked the show throughout its run. The later years were uneven, but still had moments of laugh-out-loud zaniness. It was one of those shows that just were comforting to pop on and watch an episode or two - not many of those around these days.

by Anonymousreply 38April 13, 2020 2:29 AM

R27, do you remember the episode in which Phil gave Jay a massage? Awkward and SO funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 13, 2020 5:07 AM

r21, The Golden Girls ripped that off from The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 13, 2020 6:17 AM

Do they all die from COVID-19?

by Anonymousreply 41April 13, 2020 6:32 AM

Too soon, R41. Lol

by Anonymousreply 42April 13, 2020 3:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!