Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Will You Be Wearing A Mask When Exiting Your House

Vote below then discuss the whys

by Anonymousreply 87April 13, 2020 8:17 AM

No unless i suspect I am symptomatic or asymptomatic.

by Anonymousreply 1April 7, 2020 2:31 AM

No one knows if they are asymptomatic

For all you know you could have the virus and spreading it to other people by just talking

by Anonymousreply 2April 7, 2020 2:35 AM

Not when leaving the house. I wear one if I'm in a store or around other people but not simply walking out of my house or in my car.

by Anonymousreply 3April 7, 2020 2:42 AM

I did today at a sandwich shop, where I picked up a to-go order.

by Anonymousreply 4April 7, 2020 2:43 AM

In SF, too many close quarters and gross people here.

by Anonymousreply 5April 7, 2020 2:51 AM

So if you can spread it through just breathing or talking and the 6 feet rule is bs then why should we not test everyone as well?

by Anonymousreply 6April 7, 2020 2:51 AM

The grocery stores in my state are now preventing too many people milling about in the store at one time. I'm planning to go to grocery stores over the next few days, and I don't want any 'trouble'. So I'll bring one with me.

But I'm not driving around town with one on.

by Anonymousreply 7April 7, 2020 3:14 AM

It’s been ordered by our governor.

by Anonymousreply 8April 7, 2020 6:11 AM

I will NOW . . .

by Anonymousreply 9April 7, 2020 6:14 AM

I spent today sewing up several, including some for family and friends.

by Anonymousreply 10April 7, 2020 6:23 AM

I bought a sewing machine but whoops I don't have any fabric unless I cut up existing clothes. I don't have any bandanas, either. I feel like I used to have bandanas. Can I pulp some books down into a mask?

by Anonymousreply 11April 7, 2020 6:30 AM

I always wear a mask when I'm exciting!

by Anonymousreply 12April 7, 2020 6:42 AM

Nope. I can't breathe wearing a mask. Anyway, everyone else is wearing a mask. They are protected from my cooties, as I am protected from theirs.

by Anonymousreply 13April 7, 2020 6:42 AM

I had it already, why should I wear a mask anywhere? If it is possible to be reinfected, I will find out. I am not leaving the house looking like I am going to rob a bank.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 7, 2020 6:46 AM

This is going to work out well for the DLers who have stopped brushing their teeth.

by Anonymousreply 15April 7, 2020 6:56 AM

I tried this afternoon for the first time, really uncomfortable!

by Anonymousreply 16April 7, 2020 7:00 AM

No because we can't get masks here in Norway.

by Anonymousreply 17April 7, 2020 7:41 AM

Yes. But I live in London and have been watching that Peak Prosperity guy on YouTube since January who recommended we wear them based on data coming out of China and South Korea. I am just very concerned by the lack of encouragement by the British and US governments regarding masks. They are absolutely mandatory in many parts of the world. Common sense. Perfect example is BoJo who made light of this for a while.

by Anonymousreply 18April 7, 2020 7:48 AM

Yes, because it is required in Riverside County.

by Anonymousreply 19April 7, 2020 8:49 AM

I have some masks but I prefer a scarf. It does the job. A normal government would have so advised people weeks ago. No, I’m not safe to walk into an ER, but if that dead bus driver had been wearing one maybe that idiots cough .....

by Anonymousreply 20April 7, 2020 8:50 AM

I've been using one of my flour sack towels as a bandit mask. I'm in New York, and many people, however, are not wearing anything to cover their mouth and nose. We all know that we should, but they seemingly can't be bothered to do so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 7, 2020 9:08 AM

Do NOT make then out of hepa vacuum bags like I see on youtube. The filter in those bags are made from glass fibers and you would be inhaling them.

by Anonymousreply 22April 7, 2020 1:04 PM

If you make one out of a bandana, remember the hanky code! A guy offered to piss in my mouth at the grocery store yesterday because I wore a mask made out of one of my old yellow hankies. Different times, I would've accepted his offer.

by Anonymousreply 23April 7, 2020 1:40 PM

I always wear a mask if I'm not in my house, careful to remove my glasses so they don't fog up. If I'm driving by myself, no mask, and glasses on. My supply of masks is very low now, so I have to fire up my sewing machine and get busy. Be safe everyone.

by Anonymousreply 24April 7, 2020 1:54 PM

My ears hurt.

And not even in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 25April 7, 2020 1:58 PM

How to make no-sew face masks (because you can't find any anywhere and when you do, they're expensive).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 7, 2020 2:01 PM

I have made quite a few masks so far, to donate and for clients. The hepa inserts are very good, approved by my doctors, but a bit heavy so not ideal for long periods. My latest ones feature adjustable wire over the nose so the glasses don't fog, and blue towel inserts which are lightweight and quite effective. Be safe..

by Anonymousreply 27April 7, 2020 2:02 PM

If I'm just taking the elevator down to go for a walk or jog outside in the fields near my home, no. There's few people around and its easy to be more than several feet apart.

If I'm going for groceries or any other public-facing experience, well, we just ordered a couple.

by Anonymousreply 28April 7, 2020 3:07 PM

Yes, because where I am at in the Midwest the majority of people aren't wearing them.

Just went outside to pull my garbage and recycling bins back in and saw a crew "power walking" together. A gaggle of male and females.

by Anonymousreply 29April 7, 2020 3:12 PM

I have to wear them at work so no, not unless I have to go into a store or something. If I'm in my car or taking a walk where I can easily stay 6+ feet away from people, I won't be wearing it.

by Anonymousreply 30April 7, 2020 3:13 PM

Mask wearing in public is seen in the US and Britain as government policy failures. It's the optics. That's why it is always put out there that it does not work. Their own government studies are shoehorned into making the results so. The mighty US healthcare system would NEVER be to the point where people would have to wear masks in public. So it's don't wear one, do not wear one, please don't wear one...quick, get masks!

Our healthcare system is built with lies like these that are with others like we have the best healthcare in the world to make the Magamorons think they are safe. They are not and us sane people are not.

So now everyone is a mask wearer by state or county decree. If they do not work, why do other countries such as SK have a lid on this? Masks don't work? Fucking bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 31April 7, 2020 5:22 PM

I did today when I went for groceries.

by Anonymousreply 32April 7, 2020 6:24 PM

Only when I have to stand in the zombie line to get in my Safeway. (Bring something to read! Now's a good time to blast through those New Yorker magazines. that have been piling up.) Don't have a sewing machine? Here's a helpful video on no-sew masks (because even some protection is better than none).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 7, 2020 7:41 PM

By wearing a mask you are lowering the risk of spreading Covid-19 to other people. The more people wear masks, the sooner we can get back to normal (or the new normal)

by Anonymousreply 34April 7, 2020 7:45 PM

I don't wear a mask when I walk around my neighborhood and town but rarely cross the paths of other people. When I do, all parties move at least 6 feet from each other.

I have masks and sanitizer in my car and am now wearing masks when I go to the store, post office, or bank, the only places I go anymore until this is over. I haven't worn gloves yet, I'm not sure that they're anymore effective than simply washing and sanitizing hands. Gloves seem to present their own problems with germs.

by Anonymousreply 35April 7, 2020 7:55 PM

I'm waiting for my masks to come in the mail. I will wear them at the stores. The masks are to protect other people as well as yourself.

by Anonymousreply 36April 7, 2020 8:10 PM

I wear them when I go out and have been since mid-March. Two boxes of the CVS pleated ones with the loops and Curad anti-bacterial ones with pleats and loops also. Don't see the difference. Don't go out that much but don't know how many times I can wear the same mask. Does it get less protective from my nose and mouth exhalations? Does anyone know?

Also, ordered two N95's from Amazon 3 weeks ago. Made in China. Afraid even to open them.

by Anonymousreply 37April 7, 2020 11:40 PM

I see some weirdos wearing a mask driving around in their car. Alone. How insane/paranoid do you have to be to do that? and no they were not lyft or uber drivers.

by Anonymousreply 38April 7, 2020 11:49 PM

R37 once. 😒

by Anonymousreply 39April 8, 2020 12:00 AM

R11, Walmart has pre-cut yards of fabric so you don't have to scare up a clerk to cut it for you. Also, the fat quarters (pre-cut 1/4 yard) might work too.

by Anonymousreply 40April 8, 2020 12:09 AM

I don't have a mask but do cover my nose and mouth with a bandana before entering a store. It's uncomfortable and I hate it but I don't feel like dying right now.

by Anonymousreply 41April 8, 2020 12:21 AM

It is not true it is passed from just breathing or speaking. It is being researched. They found no RNA viral load taken from COVID-19 patients from 4 inches away from their chin. The only cases of transmission related to bioaerosols (what we put in the air speaking and breathing) were ONLY in cases where it was a health worker who was in close proximity to a patient and doing something to exacerbate the air production (like intubation or removing a ventilator), This is why health workers wear masks and eye protection. The masks in public are because of a lack of testing to find out who has it. Mass testing is what is needed to find out who is infected and then we can keep them isolated - either at home or in a hospital.

by Anonymousreply 42April 9, 2020 3:40 AM

Rethink that and get a proper mask. A bandana is a poor barrier.

by Anonymousreply 43April 10, 2020 12:25 PM

I'm in California, we have to wear masks. I won't wear one in the car, but before I get out of the car to go in the market or drug store, I will put my mask and gloves on.

by Anonymousreply 44April 10, 2020 12:31 PM

Stay the fuck home and you won’t have to wear a mask. And unless you have an N95, a mask will not protect you from getting it, but it will protect you from spreading it if you are asymptotic.

But please, just stay home!

by Anonymousreply 45April 10, 2020 12:38 PM

I live in an apt building in NJ, and residents are required by management to wear both masks and gloves when leaving our apartments.

by Anonymousreply 46April 10, 2020 12:53 PM

[quote] So if you can spread it through just breathing or talking and the 6 feet rule is bs then why should we not test everyone as well?

We’d love to test everyone. Have you not been paying attention? That’s what everyone is clamoring for. But you tell me, even if we had the tests, which we don’t, how do you plan to test 300,000,000 people?

by Anonymousreply 47April 10, 2020 1:20 PM

[quote] I bought a sewing machine but whoops I don't have any fabric unless I cut up existing clothes.

Oh, honey. We’ve all seen your wardrobe.

Go for it.

by Anonymousreply 48April 10, 2020 1:21 PM

I imagine the masks would instantly fog up my glasses. has anyone had that problem? haven't tried since I'm recovering from a black eye and I normally wear contacts, which I haven't worn in a while since this shyt went crazy all over

by Anonymousreply 49April 10, 2020 1:22 PM

R49, I stopped wearing contacts as well. Wearing a mask doesn’t make my glasses fog up. I probably won’t go back to wearing contacts any time soon since I am constantly touching my eyes when I do. Glasses offer more protection from the virus.

by Anonymousreply 50April 10, 2020 1:32 PM

Because masks - especially with all the lockdown and social-distancing measures - don't really prevent much if you make sure you're 2 metres apart from other people. They're basically a placebo and if not worn properly could cause more harm than good.

by Anonymousreply 51April 10, 2020 1:38 PM

^ That was a no vote.

by Anonymousreply 52April 10, 2020 1:39 PM

thanks for the reply R50. we have masks and gloves but I haven't been out in a while since Im recovering from looking and feeling like the walking dead. I miss my contacts but I'm pretty sure I can hold out for a while

by Anonymousreply 53April 10, 2020 1:40 PM

[quote] Im recovering from looking

This happened to me once when my friends dragged me to a straight titty bar.

Recovery lasts a few days.

by Anonymousreply 54April 10, 2020 1:46 PM

[quote]So if you can spread it through just breathing or talking and the 6 feet rule is bs then why should we not test everyone as well?

But can it be spread between people standing 6 feet apart from each other? Are there any proven instances of this? Studies in the region of Heinsberg, Germany, and in particular the small district of Gangelt, where there was a big outbreak of the virus in the very early days and which was put under local lockdown, have shown that there was almost no spread of the virus in supermarkets or restaurants and researchers have found no transmission of the virus through surfaces. Instead, it appears that the virus spread during the carnival festivities and the researchers have concluded that the way the virus is spread is primarily through large numbers of people close together at social gatherings.

These findings are interesting and could be an important guide for governments and policy-makers as to what can be done next. Look up Hendrik Streeck for more info.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55April 10, 2020 2:57 PM

^ That Guardian article is interesting because it shows how the virus can be carried to different parts of the country or the world just through one carrier although, again, it requires close contact with others to be transmitted.

by Anonymousreply 56April 10, 2020 3:00 PM

Hendrick Streeck, the German virologist in charge of that study, is gay. Wouldn't it be cute if a gay man helped the world beat Covid-19?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57April 10, 2020 3:02 PM

R55, I don’t know what the distancing is really to stop it. Most countries are recommending 1 meter, which is a little over 3 feet. I’ve always thought our government would overdo it (so to speak) to be sure.

For instance, they say wash your hands for at least 20 seconds. I’m sure it’s safe to wash them for 10 seconds, but if you tell people that, those 10 seconds then become 7 seconds, then 5 and so on. So we start at 20 so if it becomes 15-18 we’re still “ok.”

I go well over 20 seconds myself, I just think they’re using that as a yardstick of sorts.

by Anonymousreply 58April 10, 2020 3:08 PM

R58, obviously the further apart the better. I wouldn't feel comfortable talking with someone just 1 metre away from me, although on the brief occasions I go to the shops I may pass someone a little closer than that, but it would be just for a matter of 2 seconds.

by Anonymousreply 59April 10, 2020 3:11 PM

I agree, r59. I find myself getting pissed at people who aren’t keeping their distance now.

by Anonymousreply 60April 10, 2020 3:20 PM

Now that we are all wearing masks it shouldn't matter if we quickly walk past one another being less than 6ft apart. Sometimes you can't help it and opening your big trap to yell at someone because they got too close is just causing more germs to be released into the air.

by Anonymousreply 61April 11, 2020 12:25 AM

I walked by, unmasked, by an unmasked guy who was sitting on a wall. I kept my six foot distance and he exhaled a cloud of smoke as I walked by. Now I am freaking out that he expelled the virus from his lungs into the smoke and got it to me.

by Anonymousreply 62April 12, 2020 2:26 AM

I looked down at the river walk today and dozens of people were walking together, behind each other, walking dogs, running, biking. I guess Trump has encouraged them to be optimistic about May 1st.

by Anonymousreply 63April 12, 2020 3:17 AM

Someone in the know, please answer my question: how many times can you wear a mask before throwing it out. Contacted my doctor and he said no one knows!!!

by Anonymousreply 64April 12, 2020 4:20 AM

It doesn't bother anyone that you're breathing in the carbon dioxide that your body is supposed to be getting rid of? You might as well put your mouth up to a car exhaust and breathe.

Or maybe that's the governments way to socially Darwinize some of you morons off the planet.

by Anonymousreply 65April 12, 2020 4:48 AM

I have several times.

I do pull it down for a bit if we are walking and no one is around. But not for long.

by Anonymousreply 66April 12, 2020 4:49 AM

[quote] Hendrick Streeck,

Yum! Very fine schniedel!

by Anonymousreply 67April 12, 2020 4:51 AM

[quote]Hendrick Streeck, the German virologist in charge of that study, is gay.

Why is he carrying around Mortimer Snerd with him? Is he a ventriloquist? Does the dummy talk for him?

by Anonymousreply 68April 12, 2020 4:54 AM

[quote]You might as well put your mouth up to a car exhaust and breathe. Or maybe that's the governments way to socially Darwinize some of you morons off the planet.

We can't all go around wearing a potato sack over our heads like you.

by Anonymousreply 69April 12, 2020 4:56 AM

Why wouldn't you ?

by Anonymousreply 70April 12, 2020 4:57 AM

[quote] Someone in the know, please answer my question: how many times can you wear a mask before throwing it out. Contacted [bold]my doctor and he said no one knows!!![/bold]

Duh.

by Anonymousreply 71April 12, 2020 11:56 AM

I wonder if the masks you get in hardware stores to use when you're working with anything you shouldn't inhale would be efficient. We have a slew of those from various fix-up projects. They were expensive, too.

by Anonymousreply 72April 12, 2020 12:20 PM

When going in to stores, yes. As soon as I’m outside and away from people, I rip that shit off. I HATE it.

by Anonymousreply 73April 12, 2020 12:23 PM

R65, that bugs me, too. It’s like drinking your own piss.

I swear the regular masks make me feel dizzy and cognitively unpaired. Now I just wear a cotton bandana that allows enough fresh air in. It’s all theater and social pressure, anyway. I don’t believe a few layers of woven fiber are all that protective.

by Anonymousreply 74April 12, 2020 12:27 PM

I wore a N95 mask and rubber gloves today at Walmart.

All of the other customers wore masks but some of the employees were not wearing masks or gloves

The highlight of the day was buying gas for $1.35 a gallon.

by Anonymousreply 75April 12, 2020 12:37 PM

[quote]and cognitively unpaired

Are you wearing it now?

by Anonymousreply 76April 12, 2020 12:47 PM

R76, oh shit.

Not wearing it. Didn’t know “unpaired” was even a word.

by Anonymousreply 77April 12, 2020 1:06 PM

Luv ya anyway, r77!

by Anonymousreply 78April 12, 2020 1:08 PM

I wear one in the hallways and elevator of my building in NYC. I assume that's more dangerous. Definitely in stores. Wear it on the street cause it's now expected.

by Anonymousreply 79April 12, 2020 1:51 PM

How'd you like to be a bank teller today, with everyone and anyone approaching your window. while wearing a mask?

by Anonymousreply 80April 12, 2020 2:08 PM

I only wear one over my pussy.

by Anonymousreply 81April 12, 2020 5:27 PM

Everything I've read suggests you have to be in close contact with infected people to catch the corona, like in a crowded room or kissing them. I don't think it simply spreads through the population because someone you were 1 metre away from coughed or you touched something an infected person touched. That's from the studies that have been done on people who have actually been infected, not theoretical scenarios such as a simulated model of a cough or how long the virus can last on surfaces that scientists put it on in a lab.

Tests on 1500 people in Austria showed only 1% had the virus, but there was an outbreak at an Austrian ski resort where lots of people caught it. This fits with the German study that found almost neglible traces of the virus on the surfaces in a house where all the members of the household had the virus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82April 12, 2020 6:54 PM

R82, I think there's so much competing information right now about exactly how it’s transmitted that no one wants to take the risk.

I agree with you in principle, that it may not be as easy as we’re being led to believe, it’s still largely an unknown factor.

by Anonymousreply 83April 12, 2020 7:02 PM

R83, I'm not suggesting we take risks now but, if the information coming from Austria and Germany and also places like South Korea, where they've been able to demonstrate something similar, it does indicate a potential path back to some kind of normalcy. Isolating, tracing and testing is key as is avoiding crowds.

by Anonymousreply 84April 12, 2020 10:30 PM

I re-wear my masks. When I return from getting groceries or the pharmacy, I spray the mask with a light spray of 99% Isobutyl Alcohol and let it sit for a couple of days, at least.

by Anonymousreply 85April 12, 2020 10:47 PM

Others in other threads have said you’re weakening it if you do that, r85. It has been suggested to just let it dry for 2-3 days only.

by Anonymousreply 86April 12, 2020 11:06 PM

R11 I bought a sewing machine too. Amazon has 9x 9 in squares at amazon and about 5 yards of material. I am going to try using a piece of reusable shopping bag you get at grocery stores as in insert.they are waterproof so even tiny micro spray can't get through. And I bought safety glasses and gloves.

by Anonymousreply 87April 13, 2020 8:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!