Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Least deserving Best Picture Oscar Winner of the past 20 years?

It’s occurred to me that the Oscars have made it a semi-routine habit of aspecting the most unremarkable films for Best Picture. In the last 20 years I can count maybe six that actually deserved it. JMO. Here’s the list starting from 2000:

Gladiator

A Beautiful Mind

Chicago

Lord of the Rings

Million Dollar Baby

Crash

The Departed

No Country for Old Men

Slumdog Millionaire

The Hurt Locker

The King’s Speech

The Artist

Argo

12 Years a Slave

Birdman

Spotlight

Moonlight

The Shape of Water

Green Book

Parasite

by Anonymousreply 162April 29, 2020 11:23 AM

*awarding, not aspecting

by Anonymousreply 1April 3, 2020 1:03 AM

Gee, I wonder which movie everyone's going to vote for.

by Anonymousreply 2April 3, 2020 1:05 AM

[quote]Crash

[quote]The King’s Speech

[quote]The Artist

[quote]Green Book

Throw a dart.

by Anonymousreply 3April 3, 2020 1:06 AM

The King’s Speech.

Social Network deserved it.

by Anonymousreply 4April 3, 2020 1:07 AM

This should have been a poll.

by Anonymousreply 5April 3, 2020 1:08 AM

Crash is the only true travesty. There are a few middling films that didn’t deserve the ward, but none was as offensive as Crash’s win.

by Anonymousreply 6April 3, 2020 1:08 AM

OMG, I didn't realize how bad this list was until now. I would guess that no one has even heard of the last 8 films, and the only 2 that seem like real "Best Picture" types were Gladiator and Lord Of The Rings.

by Anonymousreply 7April 3, 2020 1:08 AM

1. Birdman

2. The Artist

3. No Country for Old Men

by Anonymousreply 8April 3, 2020 1:09 AM

I've heard people griping over Crash winning for quite some time. I saw it and don't remember it being bad. What is the problem people have with it?

by Anonymousreply 9April 3, 2020 1:10 AM

The English Patient. It should have gone to The Mirror Has Two Faces

by Anonymousreply 10April 3, 2020 1:11 AM

Moonlight!

by Anonymousreply 11April 3, 2020 1:11 AM

Geez, Gladiator and Crash are running neck and neck. The Hurt Locker, A Beautiful Mind and Green Book are way up there as well. None of these should ever be mentioned in the same sentence as "best picture".

by Anonymousreply 12April 3, 2020 1:15 AM

Argo wasn't that good. I might be a yard but I think Gladiator is the most riveting of the list.

by Anonymousreply 13April 3, 2020 1:16 AM

r9 It wasn't Brokeback Mountain.

by Anonymousreply 14April 3, 2020 1:16 AM

"No Country For Old Men" was pretty good up to the lousy ending, which happened so quickly, it was like "what the fuck"!

by Anonymousreply 15April 3, 2020 1:18 AM

I think all recent films within the last 20 years are overrated.

by Anonymousreply 16April 3, 2020 1:19 AM

The only two good ones on that list are Moonlight and Parasite.

by Anonymousreply 17April 3, 2020 1:22 AM

It’s easier to list which ones rise above mediocrity and have had an actual impact (or most likely will). I count just four.

by Anonymousreply 18April 3, 2020 1:23 AM

Crash - even the director said years later that he didn't know why the movie won the Oscar.

12 Years A Slave was a good movie but not a great movie. The black director placed ads practically demanding that the movie win the Oscar - and the voters caved in and gave him and the movie the SJW award/Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 19April 3, 2020 1:24 AM

Birdman was almost unwatchable except to the Hollywood 'In Crowd'. The rest of us just didn't get the movie - not a box office hit either.

by Anonymousreply 20April 3, 2020 1:26 AM

r5 that's what he said.

by Anonymousreply 21April 3, 2020 1:29 AM

I loved Birdman. Also Moonlight, Parasite, and The Shape of Water.

by Anonymousreply 22April 3, 2020 1:29 AM

R9 I think it’s mainly that it beat Brokeback Mountain. I think it shows that the Academy wants a more exacting message when it comes to weighty topics. Crash presented a more on-the-nose message about racism than Brokeback Mountain. Brokeback Mountain, I guess, didn’t make enough of a statement. It was just a love story that happened to be between two cowboys. Neither of them were queens, they weren’t separated by a cruelly intolerant world but more so by circumstance, and the movie showed a decent amount of compassion for all of its characters (my heart even broke for Ennis’ young girlfriend who met someone else towards the end).

by Anonymousreply 23April 3, 2020 1:31 AM

Aspecting?

by Anonymousreply 24April 3, 2020 1:32 AM

BM was beautifully written and gorgeously filmed. Crash was neither, to say the least.

by Anonymousreply 25April 3, 2020 1:33 AM

R4, The King's Speech is the only deserving pic on the list.

by Anonymousreply 26April 3, 2020 1:34 AM

[quote]they weren’t separated by a cruelly intolerant world

But rather by a tire iron.

by Anonymousreply 27April 3, 2020 1:35 AM

R23 Great explanation. I always wondered about the animosity towards Crash. It was a good movie and very well written - good enough for an Oscar. Agree or disagree, at least now I understand the animosity.

by Anonymousreply 28April 3, 2020 1:35 AM

R27 That’s what was running through Ennis’ mind as Lureen was telling him about how the love of his life died. Please go take a Film Studies course at the local community college, you know, after all this coronavirus nonsense is over.

by Anonymousreply 29April 3, 2020 1:41 AM

The Shape Of Water really was a beautiful movie and deserved to win the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 30April 3, 2020 1:43 AM

R29 Really, Pristeena Prissowicz? And how did you decide Jack died?

by Anonymousreply 31April 3, 2020 1:44 AM

If I had to pick the worst Best Picture Oscar of the past twenty years it would have to be "Crash." It was not even a good movie; how did it get nominated in the first place? And "Brokeback Mountain" lost to THAT? It was a mind-boggling upset. But I know the reason why BB didn't win, which it definitely should have: homophobia. No way was a film about two gay men going to win Best PIcture. No way.

by Anonymousreply 32April 3, 2020 1:45 AM

Crash was about interracial relationships which the Academy felt comfortable with while Brokeback Mountain was gay themed which the Academy backed away from - it really was the superior, groundbreaking movie while Crash simple got the comfortable SJW Award/Oscar from the Academy.

by Anonymousreply 33April 3, 2020 1:47 AM

R31 It makes no sense for the film to have Lureen somewhat dryly tell Ennis a complete fabrication about Jack’s death and the film to show what *really happened* instead. It hasn’t broken with the narrative flow up until that point. It made sense that that’s what was running through Ennis’ mind given the earlier story he told about the two men he knew as a child who lived together where one got beaten and castrated. His worst fear was that happening to them.

by Anonymousreply 34April 3, 2020 1:51 AM

R32 Yup, lots of homophobia and tip toeing around the gay issue/relationship. Brokeback Mountain really SHOULD have won the Oscar for Best Picture that year!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 3, 2020 1:51 AM

The documentary on Green Books was much better than the film, where the story is told through the eyes of the white savior...the Green Book was created by blacks for blacks to help them make traveling easier. The theatrical film made it almost as if Viggo Mortenson’s guido character invented it himself.

by Anonymousreply 36April 3, 2020 1:52 AM

Hic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 3, 2020 1:57 AM

there are many shitty or at best forgettable movies on that list.

by Anonymousreply 38April 3, 2020 2:05 AM

Parasite

by Anonymousreply 39April 3, 2020 2:07 AM

Crash. Crash. Crash. Close the thread.

by Anonymousreply 40April 3, 2020 2:14 AM

R19 is a Republican looking to drag out some "SJW" talking points.

Saying people were guilt tripped into voting for a movie is hysterical, since voting is in secret

by Anonymousreply 41April 3, 2020 2:15 AM

The only ones that are travesties are Gladiator, Crash, and Green Book. A few of the others were weak choices compared to other films that year but are fine on their own.

by Anonymousreply 42April 3, 2020 2:33 AM

Cimarron! It should have gone to The Front Page!

by Anonymousreply 43April 3, 2020 2:41 AM

R42, you're crazy. Gladiator was fantastic, a real epic. Who the hell is going to remember The Shape Of Water or Green Book in 20 years?

by Anonymousreply 44April 3, 2020 2:42 AM

Gladiator was a fun action film. But the story was ahistorical to the point of absurdity. And the scene chewing acting was grating at times.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon should have won. It was a travesty.

by Anonymousreply 45April 3, 2020 2:48 AM

[quote] But the story was ahistorical to the point of absurdity. And the scene chewing acting was grating at times.

Utterly so. I didn't mind the scenery chewing though.

by Anonymousreply 46April 3, 2020 2:50 AM

Green Book and Crash, hands down.

by Anonymousreply 47April 3, 2020 2:51 AM

Crash is a silly movie, even the movies director doesn't think it deserved to win.

Best Picture?! HA!

Beat afterschool movie.

by Anonymousreply 48April 3, 2020 2:53 AM

Gladiator is a joke. It panders to the macho fantasies of white guys so they tend to overrate it (hey, if R19 can play the SJW card...). As historical spectacle it's no Spartacus or Ben Hur. But of the group, I only find Birdman completely indefensible.

by Anonymousreply 49April 3, 2020 3:01 AM

I just don't think there's much to "Gladiator." It's paper-thin. It's just mindless entertainment.

There are certainly worse films in OP's list, but "Gladiator" is fairly forgettable. At least "The Shape of Water" is an interesting love story and does something to expand its genre of monster movies. "Gladiator" could have been written in 1962, so little does it try to do anything new with the swords-and-sandals genre.

by Anonymousreply 50April 3, 2020 3:54 AM

Birdman was painful. Crash now looks like a FX pilot. I've never seen The Artist and nothing I've read makes me want to. I really expected the same impulse that awarded that movie to award 1917 and was very pleasantly surprised that Parasite won.

by Anonymousreply 51April 3, 2020 4:00 AM

[quote] "Gladiator" could have been written in 1962

It pretty much was. The film on which it was essentially based, The Fall of the Roman Empire, was released in 1964 and written in 1961-1962.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52April 3, 2020 4:08 AM

ALL of them. Embarrassingly bad adaptations of books, politics instead of entertainment, line recitations instead of acting.

by Anonymousreply 53April 3, 2020 4:08 AM

No hatred for Slumdog Millionaire? What's wrong with you people?

by Anonymousreply 54April 3, 2020 7:55 AM

I liked Life of Pi. That should have won.

by Anonymousreply 55April 3, 2020 8:03 AM

A movie made in a pre-9/11 world. The 10 films previous to that were:

1999- American Beauty

1998- Shakespeare in Love

1997- Titanic

1996- The English Patient

1995- Braveheart

1994- Forrest Gump

1993- Schindler's List

1992- Unforgiven

1991- The Silence of the Lambs

1990- Dances with Wolves

Something changed after 9/11 and awards started going to the edgier social commentary films.

by Anonymousreply 56April 3, 2020 8:12 AM

Birdman. It was the best movie that year

by Anonymousreply 57April 3, 2020 8:20 AM

^sorry, I thought it says Last deserving... Haven't seen most of those but The shape of water was pretty crapy and generic with a predictable plot and especially the ending. Lord of the rings was just a nerds' around the world wet dream

by Anonymousreply 58April 3, 2020 8:38 AM

[quote]Birdman. It was the best movie that year

Boyhood was much better. And Grand Budapest Hotel was better than Boyhood, but it would never have won BP.

by Anonymousreply 59April 3, 2020 10:34 AM

The Shape of Water was one of the most ridiculous movies I've ever seen. It felt like The Creature from the Black Lagoon Gets Horny,

by Anonymousreply 60April 3, 2020 10:59 AM

R59 Nah

by Anonymousreply 61April 3, 2020 11:35 AM

I completely agree, R45. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was the best movie of that year. I remember when Gladiator won, Ang Lee was pissed and stormed out of the theater. Or maybe that was the Best Director award that went to Steven Soderbergh? Lee should have won that, too. Gladiator was just kind of meh to me. I agree with a poster upthread who said it was some straight guy's fantasy movie. Most people I know who were really into it were straight men. I have to admit, though, that Russell Crowe was at his hottest in that movie. Lots of spankable material in there.

It does seem like in recent years the Oscar winners are just ok movies. I'd put The Shape of Water in that category. I liked the movie, but when it won the Oscar I thought, "Is this really the best film of the year?" Get Out should have won.

At least Moonlight was better than the execrable La La Land. Jesus, La La Land sucked and was just terrible.

by Anonymousreply 62April 3, 2020 1:01 PM

r56 is the most ill-informed person on this thread and that is saying a lot.

by Anonymousreply 63April 3, 2020 2:03 PM

R54 - I would actually consider it one of the only decent movies on the list.

by Anonymousreply 64April 3, 2020 3:05 PM

While I might differ on which film won, The Artist was the only one I hated.

God, I HATED that twee movie.

by Anonymousreply 65April 3, 2020 3:17 PM

The Shape of Water. Guillermo del Toro's films are always badly lit and ugly looking.

by Anonymousreply 66April 3, 2020 5:12 PM

R65 I fell asleep in that one. At the theater.

by Anonymousreply 67April 3, 2020 5:45 PM

Not seeing enough hate for The Departed. Scorsese’s weakest film.

by Anonymousreply 68April 4, 2020 1:25 PM

Crash is the worst hands down.

Runner ups go to Birdman, which bored me to tears, and Chicago which I loathed.

by Anonymousreply 69April 4, 2020 1:42 PM

Slumdog Millioniare.

Tacky, garish, bad acting, no chemistry between the lovers, bad editing, too many scenes like music videos, jarring, gross, ridiculous plot.

It got kudos because it had brown Muslims to appeal to the woke before they realised they were woke.

by Anonymousreply 70April 4, 2020 2:59 PM

R69 How could you loathe Chicago? I thought it was a super entertaining and faithful film adaptation of the musical. Are you sure you’re gay?

by Anonymousreply 71April 4, 2020 5:39 PM

None worse than "Spotlight", a by the numbers TV movie. The acting nods were just as awful: Rachel McAdams talking as fast as she can and tucking her hair behind her ear in every scene, Ruffalo doing the cliched "We can't let them get away with it!" blow up. AND, yawn, more boy diddling Catholic priests, just what the gay community needs. I despised it.

by Anonymousreply 72April 4, 2020 5:57 PM

R72 I thought "Spotlight" was an excellent film, but I agree with you on Rachel McAdams' Oscar nomination. There was absolutely nothing memorable about her performance.

At least she didn't win, unlike Kim Basinger, whose performance in "LA Confidential" was just as unmemorable.

by Anonymousreply 73April 4, 2020 6:08 PM

r73, I think part of the difference was that people know Rachel McAdams can do better, while Basinger surprised everyone by being competent.

by Anonymousreply 74April 4, 2020 6:10 PM

R72 I couldn't believe the amount of accolades that film received. It was reminiscent of a moderately interesting HBO movie, not something truly cinematic. Critics tend to adore the noble- journalists- as heroes tropes, regardless of how good the film is.

by Anonymousreply 75April 4, 2020 6:45 PM

There is only truly one, the asinine Lord Of The Rings Part 3.

by Anonymousreply 76April 4, 2020 6:49 PM

The Hurt Locker seems ridiculous in retrospect.

by Anonymousreply 77April 4, 2020 6:57 PM

CRASH, hands-down.

It only won because of a homophobic backlash against BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN.

by Anonymousreply 78April 4, 2020 7:18 PM

It is clear that any poster who uses the word "woke" is a troll. It is a handy way of knowing who to block. (Looking at r70).

by Anonymousreply 79April 4, 2020 10:21 PM

R77 Interesting how much that film has been forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 80April 4, 2020 11:07 PM

The Hurt Locker is memorable only because of the Best Direction Oscar for its woman director.

by Anonymousreply 81April 5, 2020 12:13 AM

[quote] It is clear that any poster who uses the word "woke" is a troll. (Looking at [R70]).

Oh, [bold]fuck you,[/bold] Self-Appointed Language Police Officer Troll. I'm blocking [bold]you[/bold] for trying to tell me words we can use.

Plus, FLAMES AND FREAKS.

by Anonymousreply 82April 5, 2020 12:55 AM

R62, I agree with everything you posted. Crouching Tiger, Get Out and Moonlight were more deserving. Yes, La La Land did SUCK. No one wants to state the obvious: it was a terrible musical. The songs and music are completely unmemorable, and the singing and dancing rarely rose above mediocrity. Damine Chazelle is a promising young director but he doesn't know how to shoot a musical. He's too busy choreographing his camera to properly capture the choreography of the dancers. He zips and swish pans all over the place and it distracts from the dancing and performances.

by Anonymousreply 83April 5, 2020 2:31 AM

They all suck. We have people fighting that Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon should have won. All these movies suck! Bring back the 90s!

Girl bye.

by Anonymousreply 84April 5, 2020 10:43 PM

A Beautiful Mind. It reminded me of a 90s basic cable film.

by Anonymousreply 85April 5, 2020 10:49 PM

Ah, yes. When deserve fair such as English Patient and Shakespeare in Love were the year's best films.

by Anonymousreply 86April 5, 2020 10:50 PM

R86 Movies were better. Titanic was a masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 87April 5, 2020 10:56 PM

Birdman, Moonlight, Parasite.

by Anonymousreply 88April 5, 2020 11:08 PM

" Movies were better. Titanic was a masterpiece."

That's pretty funny. "Titanic" was a piece of shit. Great special effects, but that's all. The acting, the dialogue, the hackneyed love story were.total crap.

by Anonymousreply 89April 5, 2020 11:44 PM

R89 I'm not a big fan of Titanic BUT it had great special effects, history, romance, a bit of mystery. The whole package. It had a little something for everyone. What were the other nominees that year? Maybe that would help explain its win....

by Anonymousreply 90April 6, 2020 12:07 AM

R89 All true, and yet still a masterpiece. Greater than the sum of its parts.

by Anonymousreply 91April 6, 2020 12:09 AM

I hated The Social Network. I thought The King’s Speech was the correct choice.

by Anonymousreply 92April 6, 2020 12:11 AM

[quote]What were the other nominees that year?

L.A. Confidential. The actual best picture of that year.

by Anonymousreply 93April 6, 2020 12:11 AM

Totally agree with r93. LA Confidential was outstanding. Titanic had a couple of decent performances, an embarrassingly bad screenplay, and dazzling effects and production design.

LA Confidential deserved costumes over Titanic, among other things.

by Anonymousreply 94April 6, 2020 12:13 AM

R89 / R90 In 1998 Titanic won against LA Confidential, Good Will Hunting, As Good As It Gets, The Full Monty. The only serious competition was between Titanic and LA Confidential.

by Anonymousreply 95April 6, 2020 12:14 AM

In a stronger year, Titanic should not have won. But that year it didn't have much real competition. I think L.A. Confidential legit should have won but it wasn't as "grand" a movie. Amistad and Donnie Brasco weren't even nominated for BP. Boogie Nights would have been a brave choice, but it had no chance.

Titanic was a great action film with a cheesy love story. One thing that was truly brilliant about it though was how Cameron used the Jack/Rose story as a way to tell the audience all the technical stuff about the ship so that they understand when the times comes exactly why and how it's sinking. You see every layer of the ship and how it operates by following them around, Rose hears they are going too fast and that there aren't enough lifeboats, the are right there when the ship hits the iceberg, they go down into the bowels as the water is rushing in, etc. Very few action films bother trying to be that informative.

by Anonymousreply 96April 6, 2020 12:16 AM

^ I meant might, not should not have won. A stronger field would have taken votes away from Titanic.

by Anonymousreply 97April 6, 2020 12:17 AM

Some of the winners were fine, even if they weren’t the absolute best. But some of the choices were egregious. My choice for films that DID NOT deserve Best Picture

Million Dollar Baby

Crash

No Country for Old Men

Slumdog Millionaire

The Hurt Locker

Birdman

Spotlight

The Shape of Water

Green Book

Parasite

by Anonymousreply 98April 6, 2020 12:18 AM

Green Book and Crash tower on this list for being both mediocre and offensive. Much of the list is mediocre, but these two go the extra mile with the stroking white people about race.

by Anonymousreply 99April 6, 2020 12:24 AM

I'm just glad thatBlack panther, Leo fighting a bear, and Sandra Bullock Lost in space didn't win for Best picture

by Anonymousreply 100April 6, 2020 12:25 AM

Spotlight....yawn. Fine acting, but BORING!!!! Oh, and it should have stayed with Lala Land, far superior movie to Moonlight

by Anonymousreply 101April 6, 2020 12:37 AM

La La Land was definitely better to Moonlight. It was too long and wilted in the third act, but it was clever and creative. But by Oscar time, it was suffering from major backlash due to having won so much praise and so many awards.

by Anonymousreply 102April 6, 2020 12:44 AM

Crash by far.

by Anonymousreply 103April 6, 2020 1:01 AM

"All true, and yet still a masterpiece. Greater than the sum of its parts."

Oh, please. "Titanic" was shit. But it appealed to a certain audience...a crazy one. Consisted mostly of females who swooned over the love story and would see the movie multiple times. One crazy woman sawy it hundreds of times. The other nominees that year were "As Good As It Gets", "The Full Monty", "Good Will Hunting" and "L.A. Confidential." They were ALL better movies than "Titanic." I think "Titanic" won so many awards simply because it was a huge commercial success. Yes, that was the reason. It sure wasn't because it was the best movie.

by Anonymousreply 104April 6, 2020 3:24 AM

Long Answer: Parasite, Moonlight, and No Country for Old Men are all great winners. Birdman, Spotlight, 12 Years a Slave were all good winners, as they were decent films and they didn't block anything truly great from winning. That leaves a lot of choices I wasn't crazy about, indifferent towards, or disliked. Of that lot, many of them beat films that were better and even really good, but didn't inspire any kind of passionate disdain for being beaten (in me anyway): A Beautiful Mind, Chicago, LOTR III, M$B, Crash, The Departed, Slumdog, Hurt Locker, King's Speech, The Artist, Argo. I know we're supposed to hate Crash for beating Brokeback and King's Speech for beating Social Network, but ... whatever.

N/S: Gladiator

I didn't mind The Shape of Water or Green Book, but I really loved Call Me By Your Name, Phantom Thread, and The Favourite. But, it's not like any of those had a chance at winning.

I don't really know how to measure "least deserving" is what I'm saying. I mean, there are a lot of bland-to-bad winners that shouldn't have won. But, what can you do? I don't really want to shit on The Shape of Water for beating Call Me/Phantom, when Crash was decidedly a legitimately terrible movie, but I thought Brokeback was overrated.

If anything, The Academy's taste has dramatically improved over the years. Moonlight was in 2016. And Parasite--which is a masterpiece--just happened.

by Anonymousreply 105April 6, 2020 3:44 AM

R72 Yes, pedophile priests should never be mentioned and their crimes should be hidden because they are bad for the gay community

by Anonymousreply 106April 6, 2020 11:54 AM

Plus "Boogie Nights", the best film of that decade, wasn't even nominated "Titanic" year.

by Anonymousreply 107April 6, 2020 5:55 PM

R107 - Boogie Nights was amazing - one of my all-time favorite films. The snub was ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 108April 6, 2020 6:06 PM

I mean, let's be honest. Julianne Moore got a Best Actress consolation prize for not winning Supporting for Boogie Nights, instead of the usual other way around.

by Anonymousreply 109April 6, 2020 6:21 PM

James Cameron has such a massive ego that he couldn’t hand over screenwriting responsibilities to someone better qualified than himself. The dialogue and certain plot twists in TITANIC were odious and beyond preposterous. Rose was a prominent first class passenger who boarded the CARPATHIA without being noticed by anyone? Cal going postal and grabbing his valet’s gun and shooting up the place? The water was below freezing but Jack and Rose were able to navigate the flooding corridors and passageways without suffering from exposure to ice cold water? And some shots of the sinking did look cheap. Fortunately Kate Winslet is a superb actress who was better than the script she had to work with. Billy Zane was flat out awful-all he needed was a Snidely Whiplash moustache to twirl while he tied Rose to the railroad tracks until she agreed to marry him...

by Anonymousreply 110April 6, 2020 8:07 PM

A Beautiful Mind was good but nothing special, just middle of the road standard biopic. And Jennifer Connelly in no way deserved BSA.

by Anonymousreply 111April 6, 2020 8:45 PM

Crash!! A million times Crash. It's just a terrible movie with stunt casting. I have yet to see a movie that essays what true racism looks like and this movie was trying to say something about it but didn't know it's own intentions. Fuck this movie up the ass.

by Anonymousreply 112April 6, 2020 8:56 PM

[quote]let's be honest. Julianne Moore got a Best Actress consolation prize for not winning Supporting for Boogie Nights

Hardly. Her Oscar win wasn't till twelve years after "Boogie Nights." By that point, Moore had had over a decade of distinguished performances with multiple awards and Oscar nominations. She was officially "overdue," but it was for her career, not for "Boogie Nights."

by Anonymousreply 113April 6, 2020 10:03 PM

[quote]And Jennifer Connelly in no way deserved BSA

She won the award for having those tits and proving she could act in spite of them. She was very good in "A Beautiful Mind," but the other four nominees were outstanding.

by Anonymousreply 114April 6, 2020 10:07 PM

Crash is not only offensive because it beat out the much superior, Brokebeack Mountain, but also its not even a good film. It should have gotten a fkin Razzie. BB might be the greatest romance drama of all time, and the academy selects Crash. They have lost all merit ever since.

by Anonymousreply 115April 6, 2020 10:07 PM

Crash was actually the worst of the five nominees that year. Munich (especially), Goodnight and Good Luck, and Capote were all better films, with Brokeback being the outstanding one.

by Anonymousreply 116April 6, 2020 10:17 PM

R113 Julianne didn't win 'til 17 years and 4 further nominations after "Boogie Nights"

by Anonymousreply 117April 6, 2020 10:20 PM

[quote]Plus "Boogie Nights", the best film of that decade, wasn't even nominated "Titanic" year.

Say what you will about the campaign to change up the AMPAS' membership, but if Boogie Nights were released today, it would definitely be nominated and could likely win.

by Anonymousreply 118April 6, 2020 10:21 PM

R116 - not only did homophobia cripple Brokeback's chances of winning (so many older members of the Academy admitted to not even watching it due to the hype of the subject matter), but the "star studded", malodorous bull dump that was Crash had a built-in advantage due to the particularly large ensemble cast of actors involved (many were near the pinnacle of their careers and very popular at the time) - who likely heavily influenced their entourages to vote with them. One will never know. I watched the film for the first time only after the Oscars and was floored with what an elementary, basic, utterly average movie it turned out to be. It was a solid C+ on it's best day and a very low C- on it's worst. In other words, I have seen far worse films - but rarely has bland mediocrity been so celebrated when competing against truly great movies for Best Picture.

by Anonymousreply 119April 7, 2020 1:54 AM

The Hurt Locker doesn't seem to hold up very well.

by Anonymousreply 120April 7, 2020 1:57 AM

The third Lord of the Rings.

I just don't understand how that won Best Picture. It wasn't even the best one of the three films, was it?

I found it really boring.

by Anonymousreply 121April 7, 2020 12:09 PM

R121 HATED that movie - 3 hours of scared dwarfs wandering around the forest.

by Anonymousreply 122April 7, 2020 12:12 PM

The 76th Academy Awards plummeted to a new low after awarding 11 (!!??!!??) wins to a The Lord of the Rings sequel. Best Picture was just icing on the cake for such a misguided year. Respect has never rebounded since. It was only natural that they would choose a film as dull, predictable and lifeless as Crash to be Best Picture only two years later...

by Anonymousreply 123April 7, 2020 3:44 PM

Slumdog Millionaire. Inception should have won that year.

Argo only won Best Pic because Affleck whined and bawled after being snubbed in Director and then pap strolled his family and got a consolation Oscar.

Many of these films benefited from timing and awards campaigning. Very few are still watched, let alone discussed. People probably watch Good Will Hunting more than they've watched Titanic. The Social Network is a movie that you can watch 20 times; no one is watching The King's Speech more than once. In fact, filmmakers like Fincher, Nolan and PT Anderson may never win the awards that they deserve, but unlike others, their work will be remembered and discussed for years. More important.

by Anonymousreply 124April 7, 2020 7:35 PM

I'm drunk. I meant The Dark Knight should have won over Slumdog Millionaire.

by Anonymousreply 125April 7, 2020 7:37 PM

I don't know if "Lord of the Rings" was the worst winner -- since it was a prize for all three films (shot at the same time). But it sure as shit was the most boring Oscar ceremony in history. No surprises and major overkill with all those wins. Plus the other nominees that year for Best Pic were a sad lot -- "Mystic River", "Lost in Translation", "Master and Commander" (dear God) and "Seabiscuit"... a sad lot,

by Anonymousreply 126April 7, 2020 8:23 PM

R126, Seabiscuit was just ok, but the other three films are terrific.

by Anonymousreply 127April 7, 2020 8:26 PM

r15 that was the point.

by Anonymousreply 128April 7, 2020 8:28 PM

R125 Your drunkenness has made you forget history. The Dark Knight was not nominated for Best Picture. I can't remember all the nominess that year but it def was not better than Slumdog.

by Anonymousreply 129April 7, 2020 8:31 PM

Crash

Slumdog Millionaire

Argo

Birdman

The Shape of Water

Green Book

Parasite

by Anonymousreply 130April 7, 2020 8:58 PM

[quote]he Social Network is a movie that you can watch 20 times; no one is watching The King's Speech more than once

In your opinion. I barely made it through The Social Network once in the theater, I thought it was awful. Just because it wasn't *your* choice that year, doesn't mean it was the wrong one.

by Anonymousreply 131April 7, 2020 9:45 PM

I'd endorse your list, r130, but I do think the groundswell of opinion with Parasite is that it's more than deserving of its win.

by Anonymousreply 132April 7, 2020 9:46 PM

"Doubt" should have been nominated over that piece-of-shit "The Reader" in 2009, and won!

by Anonymousreply 133April 7, 2020 9:47 PM

"Doubt" was marred by Streep's hambone performance in it. In fact, I think it was the film that ushered in Streep's "high hambone" period of film acting.

by Anonymousreply 134April 7, 2020 9:50 PM

Has anyone actually seen The Artist anywhere since the year it won? I never come across it.

by Anonymousreply 135April 7, 2020 9:55 PM

I mean, the best thing that Doubt had going for it was Viola Davis' two scenes.

by Anonymousreply 136April 7, 2020 9:56 PM

r135, Nobody ANYWHERE has ever seen that movie outside of Los Angeles County and the West Village in Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 137April 8, 2020 1:58 AM

Was expanding from 5-10 a mistake? It let a whole lot of shit films declare they were a "Best Picture Nominee"

by Anonymousreply 138April 8, 2020 4:10 PM

Yeah, we could do a whole other thread on undeserving nominees for Best Picture that did not win. Where to start... "Black Panther"?

by Anonymousreply 139April 8, 2020 4:15 PM

R139, I thought Black Panther was a terrific film. Action films rarely get Academy attention in major categories and it was nice to see an excellent example of the genre rewarded.

by Anonymousreply 140April 8, 2020 4:19 PM

Not only did Black Panther deserve its nomination, I thought it was a huge snub that Skyfall didn't get one.

by Anonymousreply 141April 8, 2020 4:25 PM

Yeah, I guess "B;lack Panther" deserved one as a piece of film/pop culture history. Same way "Raiders" and "Ghost" were nominated. So what is the worst Best Picture nominee that didn't win in the past 20 years?

by Anonymousreply 142April 8, 2020 7:35 PM

Crash owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 143April 8, 2020 7:48 PM

R142, I didn’t see it, but would Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close be a good candidate?

by Anonymousreply 144April 8, 2020 7:54 PM

Oh, good call, r144. That was embarrassingly bad.

by Anonymousreply 145April 8, 2020 8:23 PM

R124 "The Social Network is a movie that you can watch 20 times" Yeah, no. Once was more than enough. Who gives a fuck about a Facebook movie? The dumbest idea for a movie in the history of cinema. Have no idea how it got so much praise

by Anonymousreply 146April 9, 2020 8:51 AM

SaBu has three contenders for worst nominee/winner! Crash, Extremely Close & the Blind Side! Go Sandy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147April 9, 2020 10:20 AM

R146 I barely made it through that stupid Facebook movie one time.

I really could give a crap about a bunch of rich college kids playing with social media.

by Anonymousreply 148April 9, 2020 10:32 AM

Parasite

by Anonymousreply 149April 9, 2020 5:12 PM

R116 I didn’t realize what Crash’s other competition was. Munich is great. So is Capote.

R118 I absolutely agree. Boogie Nights would clean up today. The only thing is, I shudder at how much they would turn it into a titty-fest. For a movie about porn, there was nothing sexy about that film.

by Anonymousreply 150April 26, 2020 6:06 PM

Crash denied BBM the win and should always be hated until Paul Haggis is made to beg on his knees for forgiveness.

Green Book is another turd that should have never won.

by Anonymousreply 151April 26, 2020 6:17 PM

[quote]"The Social Network is a movie that you can watch 20 times" Yeah, no. Once was more than enough. Who gives a fuck about a Facebook movie? The dumbest idea for a movie in the history of cinema. Have no idea how it got so much praise

We all saw it though, didn't we?

by Anonymousreply 152April 26, 2020 8:52 PM

I saw it at the movies and I left the theater asking what did I just sit through? Some of the acting was pretty good, but the film not so much.

by Anonymousreply 153April 26, 2020 11:31 PM

R153 I was referring to Social Network

by Anonymousreply 154April 26, 2020 11:31 PM

Crash and Green Book. Both seem more like Lifetime movies than Oscar winners.

by Anonymousreply 155April 26, 2020 11:58 PM

Birdman.

Worst of the lot.

Next: Green Book and Crash.

by Anonymousreply 156April 27, 2020 12:03 AM

Green Book was definitely better than Crash but it still did not deserve best picture.

by Anonymousreply 157April 27, 2020 12:04 AM

R140, I agree. I thought Black Panther was a step above most films in that genre. It's nomination didn't bother me at all.

by Anonymousreply 158April 27, 2020 9:35 AM

M$B. A series of cliches.

A waitress that wants so badly to become a boxer. Check.

A man who can't forgive himself for what he did or didn't do to his daughter that was so bad even the priests can't absolve him. Check.

Black man's voice that narrates the first 30 seconds of a scene.. Check

Nerdy guy getting beat up sure. Check. Though I did think Jay baruchel was kind of cute in a nerdy way when I saw it on the big screen.

White trash family on welfare. Check

Assisted suicide. Check

All you needed was an orderly to sexually assault a paralyzed Hilary swank and you got yourself a Lifetime movie.

by Anonymousreply 159April 29, 2020 9:14 AM

I loved Crash. I know I'm alone but I thought It was well written and don't understand the hate.

by Anonymousreply 160April 29, 2020 9:18 AM

crash and parasite !!!!

by Anonymousreply 161April 29, 2020 9:37 AM

R159, waitresses wanting to be boxers is a cliche? What other movies feature this?

by Anonymousreply 162April 29, 2020 11:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!