Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Actress Agnes Moorehead.

Let's discuss Agnes Moorehead. Never a great beauty but had a formidable presence and a commanding voice which gave her a long career in movies and television. A great supporting character actress/second banana in the acting industry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190April 4, 2020 3:47 AM

Orson Wells thought she could play any role. A character actress in film, I'd imagine she had a wider variety of parts on radio.

by Anonymousreply 1March 26, 2020 2:24 AM

The only member of the cast of Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte that was unhappy about Crawford getting fired.

by Anonymousreply 2March 26, 2020 2:25 AM

I loved her as Sister Alma in the eerie, campy thriller movie What's The Matter With Helen, one of her last roles before she died.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 26, 2020 2:26 AM

what do you mean, "never a great beauty"?

she was far more attractive for longer than almost any "great beauty" in Hollywood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 26, 2020 2:28 AM

She was smart not being in every episode of Bewitched (she agreed to be in no more than 3/5 of the episodes although she had a credit in every episode). It opened the door for Marion Lorne, Maurice Evans, Paul Lynde, et al. and it also meant that she wasn't too overused when show went down hill in the later years.

by Anonymousreply 5March 26, 2020 2:29 AM

Rare to have your first two movies be as great as "Citizen Kane" & "The Magnificent Ambersons".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 26, 2020 2:29 AM

She originated the female lead in Sorry Wong Number, on radio. Stanwyck got the movie.

by Anonymousreply 7March 26, 2020 2:30 AM

I remember walking with friends down Hollywood Blvd back in the early1990s and coming across this bit of grafitti in a parking lot off Vine St. I had a good chuckle. Later I discovered it became the title of a short film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 26, 2020 2:31 AM

And used for publicity photos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 26, 2020 2:34 AM

Vera Farmiga. She could have been one of the great actresses of her generation, but ended up the horror movie queen.

by Anonymousreply 10March 26, 2020 2:36 AM

Vera Farmiga. She could have been one of the great actresses of her generation, but ended up the horror movie queen.

by Anonymousreply 11March 26, 2020 2:36 AM

She lived on the finest street in Beverly Hills, across the street from Lucille Ball. It seems like she did well for herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 26, 2020 2:39 AM

She also had a farm in Ohio.

by Anonymousreply 13March 26, 2020 2:40 AM

Paul Lynde outed her. Were there are rumors about her and anyone in particular?

by Anonymousreply 14March 26, 2020 2:42 AM

r8 I just noticed that on Wikipedia. He really outed her.

[quote]A number of articles that appeared in periodicals in the alternative press have identified her as a lesbian. Paul Lynde, Moorehead's co-star on Bewitched, stated: "Well, the whole world knows Agnes was a lesbian – I mean classy as hell, but one of the all-time Hollywood dykes".

by Anonymousreply 15March 26, 2020 2:50 AM

r15 should have mentioned r14

by Anonymousreply 16March 26, 2020 2:51 AM

R14, Debbie Reynolds

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 26, 2020 2:53 AM

I've never read Eddi Fisher's autobiography, but didn't he dance around the subject of Agnes and Debbie's close friendship?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 26, 2020 3:00 AM

/Eddie

by Anonymousreply 19March 26, 2020 3:01 AM

Besides the Debbie rumors---who else? Like back in the 30s and 40s.

by Anonymousreply 20March 26, 2020 3:02 AM

Endora was mean to Dirwood.

by Anonymousreply 21March 26, 2020 3:05 AM

She wasn't much of a mom to her foster son Sean, whom she raised but never adopted. He disappeared, never to be heard from again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 26, 2020 3:12 AM

She was best known for her role as Endora on Bewitched - and she wasn't happy because she felt it overshadowed all her good work in the film and TV industry. Stated that Bewitched had hack scripts, but hey, it was a living, and she stayed with it until the end of the series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 26, 2020 3:14 AM

She was very CHRISTIAN and would never have admitted to being a lesbian.

But she's so amazing in The Magnificent Ambersons that I totally forgive her for everything.

by Anonymousreply 24March 26, 2020 3:18 AM

Yowza, thanks R22 for sharing. Great story!

by Anonymousreply 25March 26, 2020 3:19 AM

Debbie Reynolds stated in her memoir that she had a supernatural experience. After Agnes Moorhead had died, Debbie woke up one night and it was strangely cold in her bedroom. She looked up and saw the form of Agnes Moorehead looking at her and said "Go to your Father". Debbie wondered if she was talking about church/religion/God because Agnes was quite religious in life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 26, 2020 3:26 AM

"She was best known for her role as Endora on Bewitched - and she wasn't happy because she felt it overshadowed all her good work in the film and TV industry."

Well, what did she expect? She was a character on a popular sitcom; of course people would identify her by that role. A lot more people saw "Bewitched" than than most of the movies she was in.

by Anonymousreply 27March 26, 2020 3:31 AM

R22, that was a fad in the Midwest - raising a child with clear understanding that the adult is just a steward.

That line from “The Royal Tennenbaums(sp?)” where Royal introduces his daughter and never fails to mention she’s adopted is too real.

I’m glad she got a blockbuster series - if only to remain in the public eye longer.

by Anonymousreply 28March 26, 2020 3:31 AM

Moorehead was a minister's kid---Presbyterian from back in the day when Presbyterians weren't supposed to read the comics on Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 29March 26, 2020 3:38 AM

I'm not sure about what some of you are saying. Was she lesbian or just someone you older gays were into?

by Anonymousreply 30March 26, 2020 3:45 AM

Is she still alive?

by Anonymousreply 31March 26, 2020 3:54 AM

R30, lesbians didn’t exist in Hollywood because that would imply a female body enjoying sex.

Also, You’re not going to hear many stories about lesbians from gay men.

by Anonymousreply 32March 26, 2020 3:56 AM

Don't believe the dyke rumors. Agnes knew her way around a cock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33March 26, 2020 4:19 AM

R29

Quite right!

Despite the fame Bewitched bought Agnes Moorehead she was conflicted about playing a witch, and she really didn't like being reminded of it IIRC. There is a story about a young boy who approached AM for an autograph from "Endora" who got his head handed to him on a plate.

One reason her number of appearances on Bewitched dwindled in last several seasons was Ms. Moorehead wanting to do other work, and not wishing to be typecast/identified for all of posterity as the witch Endora.

Rest of gossip we all already know; Ms. Moorehead had a very close relationship with Dick York and was sorry to see him go. OTOH she didn't really care for Dick Sargent IIRC.

There is a great Twilight Zone episode where Agnes Moorehead plays a woman living in basically a rural shack some where who is bedeviled by little space creatures. She destroys their ship (IIRC) at the end, only to have camera pan over to see "U.S. Air Force... printed on space craft"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 26, 2020 4:23 AM

R34 that is the first thing i think if anytime her name comes up. and i don't remember her speaking one word during that episode.

by Anonymousreply 35March 26, 2020 4:31 AM

R31 She died in 1974 at age 73.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 26, 2020 4:32 AM

Agnes Moorehead and Bewitched.

Thing is as with many pilot television shows actors (or anyone else for that matter) don't know if something will be a hit and or picked up for new episodes.

Ms. Moorehead did her first bits and likely assumed the show wouldn't become much of anything so she didn't have to worry about "Endora".

By the way in UK sitcoms and other programs for television are done differently. An entire season/series is shot and in the can so to speak. Thus actors are free to do other work elsewhere and aren't bothered about having to come right back to shoot more episodes if series is picked up. OTOH this can backfire if show becomes a hit as you then need to get same actors back, shoot more episodes, etc....

This is what happened with Downton Abbey; several actors with major cast parts basically said "I'm out" after coming back for subsequent season(s).

The British system works however because many actors in UK are classically trained and bounce around from stage, film and television. Knowing you've shot an entire series at a go means you can accept work elsewhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37March 26, 2020 4:33 AM

R37 Hard to do an apples to apples comparison to UK TV. They do much shorter seasons - even shorter than cable/streaming 10-13 episodes which we've just started to come around to in the last 10-15 years.

And generally, the contracts are for two or three years.

Which would all be more preferable terms for an actor. Fewer episodes and shorter contracts means a flexibility for other work. Film, stage or even another TV show (as long as it fit into the hiatus from the other show).

Moorehead's contract was notable at a time where seasons could run 30 episodes or more. For her to have a clause to only do 8 out of every 12 episodes meant she could do a quick play or film role in the interim - or just take a break.

by Anonymousreply 38March 26, 2020 4:41 AM

She detested Dick Sargent and called him Colonel Penis

by Anonymousreply 39March 26, 2020 4:44 AM

R27

True, but see above post....

Agnes Moorehead like many other actors and actresses appearing on television in 1950's through 1970's were veterans of stage, film and even radio. They had long careers before television was even invented, and some resented ignorance of their previous work in favor of being forever associated with whatever character they played on television.

Bewitched had a pretty long list of film/stage veterans as cast members.

Marion Lorne - Aunt Clara

Alice Ghostley - Alice Ghostley

Mabel Albertson - Mrs. Stephens (senior)

Maurice Evans - Maurice, Sam's father the Warlock

Reta Shaw - Aunt Hagatha

Estelle Winwood - Aunt Enchantra

Mind you by 1970's many of these actors needed to work and were happy for roles that got television or whatever, but that doesn't change facts on ground.

by Anonymousreply 40March 26, 2020 4:45 AM

R38

Thank you for clearing things up....

by Anonymousreply 41March 26, 2020 4:46 AM

Reta Shaw singing and dancing in The Pajama Game.

She always seemed to play formidable battle ax sort of characters. Hard to believe the woman was a serious smoker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42March 26, 2020 4:50 AM

DLers everywhere should give praise to Endora for making caftans fashionable!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43March 26, 2020 4:53 AM

R27 correction....

Alice Ghostely obviously should be "Esmeralda"

by Anonymousreply 44March 26, 2020 4:59 AM

Reta Shaw looked like she ate clam like a champ, too.

by Anonymousreply 45March 26, 2020 4:59 AM

[quote] She detested Dick Sargent and called him Colonel Penis

Sounds like a compliment.

by Anonymousreply 46March 26, 2020 5:02 AM

R27

There is a bit more as well.

Real (as in trained) actors and actresses from film and stage sometimes had a bug up their behind about "movie stars" or later "television stars". They felt those people had no to little real acting talent and were just coasting on physical beauty or perhaps skills in other areas (read casting couch).

Bette Davis constantly ragged on Joan Crawford that she was only a "film star" and a pretty louche one at that. JC of course could act, and got better at her craft as time went on; but when you compare her body of work against Bette Davis the latter blows JC out of the water.

IIRC there was one actor from the theater who wasn't happy with his television show/role. He dropped the whole thing and went back east to New York for acting roles in legitimate productions.

by Anonymousreply 47March 26, 2020 5:08 AM

I love her character in, "Dark Passage".

by Anonymousreply 48March 26, 2020 5:10 AM

Agnes Moorehead was a devout Presbyterian and quite religious. Dick Sargent quipped at the time Ms. Moorehead arrived on set of Bewitched with script in one hand and bible in the other. What she made of Maurice Evans and Dick Sargent must have made her seem like Aunt Ester! *LOL*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49March 26, 2020 5:11 AM

From the post at R43:

"Samantha’s mother Endora, played by Agnes Morehead, was a fashion icon, full stop. Frankly, I had to stop myself from making this an Endora’s Caftans Appreciation Post and doing a Best Blue Eyeshadows list to boot."

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 50March 26, 2020 5:14 AM

AM was excellent as the snotty Sara Warren who tries to split up Cary and Ron because the later HKLP....

by Anonymousreply 51March 26, 2020 5:18 AM

R37 The UK is also relatively small vs. the US, and most theatre, tv and film are based in London. Travel distances really aren't that great if you are in Scotland, Wales or in other parts of England either. It's not like going back and forth between NY and LA for a play and a film, which until NY started getting more tv shows and films, had been a sticking point to doing both around the same time.

by Anonymousreply 52March 26, 2020 5:18 AM

R50

Someone really ought to bring those caftans back. Call it the "Bewitched" line or something. Bet they'd fly off racks......

Just the thing for lounging and planning a brunch, on your own behalf of course.

by Anonymousreply 53March 26, 2020 5:19 AM

She managed to out-camp Bette Davis in Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte. She was actually pretty awful in the movie - a rare exception.

by Anonymousreply 54March 26, 2020 5:26 AM

Creators, script writers and others connected with Bewitched made great pains to keep it away from any sort of Satanism or whatever. Indeed at first there were serious doubts that television show about witches would fly (see what I did there?), with general American public.

United States then was far more conservative than today with high overall religious service attendance. So every effort was made to keep Sam and her family away from any sort of reference to black magic. In one episode Darrin tells a telephone caller that Sam is down at their church doing women's work for an upcoming bazaar or something. In another Darrin and Sam attend the church wedding of Kermit to a friend of Sam's that Darrin believes is a witch.

Despite her obviously different biology Sam gives birth twice in a mortal hospital with nothing amiss.

by Anonymousreply 55March 26, 2020 5:26 AM

One of my grandmothers loved her caftans (this was the 1970's). Guess after all the years of restrictive undergarments and clothing she had to endure caftans must have been a godsend. Since she had help didn't have to worry about doing housework so wore her caftans when at home indoors or out on the patio.

by Anonymousreply 56March 26, 2020 5:31 AM

Her final film (and one of the last of the psycho-biddy genre) was DEAR DEAD DELILAH, which used to show up in severely edited form on the monster-chiller TV showcases of my youth.

When I saw it uncut as an adult I was surprised how gory it was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57March 26, 2020 5:41 AM

I just listened this broadcast of Agnes performing "Sorry, Wrong Number." I sat there giggling throughout thinking of how this is what a typical DL'er in the throes of hysteria would sound like back in the 1940's. She was probably dialing with a pencil.

As an interesting side note, I kept hearing shades of Betty Butterfield throughout the performance, and to my surprise one of the phone numbers was BUTTERFIELD-89979!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58March 26, 2020 5:55 AM

She was hysterical in Pollyanna. 'Don't be impertinent !'

by Anonymousreply 59March 26, 2020 6:00 AM

As a child, I found her quite elegant, and Elizabeth Montgomery beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 60March 26, 2020 6:54 AM

[quote] But she's so amazing in The Magnificent Ambersons that I totally forgive her for everything.

Her best scenes in Ambersons got cut in the final, studio butchered version.

Will the original ever be found?

by Anonymousreply 61March 26, 2020 9:39 AM

She was by far the funniest character on Bewitched and had the most acting chops. Haydn Gwynne, the actress who plays Camilla on The Windsors, reminds me of her.

by Anonymousreply 62March 26, 2020 9:56 AM

She was one of the greatest performers during the heyday of radio in the 40s and 50s, especially on the acclaimed Suspense mystery series. She did about 5 or 6 of them, each one a gem, including Sorry Wrong Number. You can hear them all on YouTube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63March 26, 2020 10:02 AM

R61

Am was wonderful in "The Magnificent Ambersons", a great tale of a story repeated in real life so very often. However it was the changes that began in early 1900's and went on really until after WWII that brought many once great families or persons low.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64March 26, 2020 10:08 AM

R61

It isn't for want of searching, as so many want to find that original uncut version of TMA; but so far nothing.

Everyone keeps hoping it is sitting in a tin lost among other films somewhere in an archive or something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65March 26, 2020 10:11 AM

So many comments and yet everyone of you overlooked crucial ones.

Agnes was part of the doomed cast of THE CONQUEROR. The 1956 film which filmed near an atom bomb testing site. It almost certainly contributed to her getting cancer.

Agnes received an Oscar nomination for one of the worst n ok nominated performances ever, playing a French love interest of Walter Pidgeon's in the turgid 1944 Greer Garson film MRS. PARKINGTON.

by Anonymousreply 66March 26, 2020 11:00 AM

R66

Thank you for bringing that up; meant to post about how AM's early death may have been attributed to radiation exposure but never got around to it.

by Anonymousreply 67March 26, 2020 11:05 AM

She was also great as Jane Wyman’s aunt in JOHNNY BELINDA.

by Anonymousreply 68March 26, 2020 11:05 AM

Around early 1975 I got a Hollywood address book in the mail growing up in Texas, and wrote letters to my favorites and asked for an autograph picture.

My letter to Agnes Moorehead came back stamped DECEASED.

It really creeped me out.

I was only 10 so I didn't know she had died. I didn't even realize famous people could die.

by Anonymousreply 69March 26, 2020 11:22 AM

AGNES MOOREHEAD

Academy Awards

Best Supporting Actress

1965 · Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte

Nominee

Best Supporting Actress

1949 · Johnny Belinda

Nominee

Best Supporting Actress

1945 · Mrs. Parkington

Nominee

Best Supporting Actress

1943 · The Magnificent Ambersons

Nominee

by Anonymousreply 70March 26, 2020 11:28 AM

How did she get a nomination for TMA if they cut out her best parts?

I'll have to watch it again, but I remember it seemed disjointed and kinda boring.

But I was young so I'll give it another try.

by Anonymousreply 71March 26, 2020 11:31 AM

Agnes joins Dick Cavett and Ethel Merman at 12:50.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72March 26, 2020 11:32 AM

I didn't see Bewitched until it was in syndication in the mid-1970s, so I didn't understand why I enjoyed episodes with Moorehead, Evans, or Lynde so much.

I do now.

by Anonymousreply 73March 26, 2020 11:36 AM

Agnes, Judy and Debbie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74March 26, 2020 11:39 AM

Here's Aggie in Night of Terror (1972) with DL thread subject Catherine Burns

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75March 26, 2020 11:41 AM

She was in The Big Street starring Lucille Ball. The movie is regarded as one of Ball’s best performances (she’s vicious) but the movie isn’t great. Anyway, Moorehead is in the last couple minutes of this clip. The movie is worth watching to see Lucille and Agnes very young, if nothing else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76March 26, 2020 11:41 AM

R48 She really was excellent as “the pest“ in Dark Passage, over-the-top and menacing. She used her face and sour expressions masterfully in that role. Her scenes are the best, stolen from all the other actors.

by Anonymousreply 77March 26, 2020 11:53 AM

How did she reconcile her sexuality and faith? Was she conflicted because of it? Did she ever drink from the furry cup or was she celibate?

by Anonymousreply 78March 26, 2020 12:04 PM

I’m one of those spiritual-but-not-religious people, R78. I think in a way, way back, it may have been easier to reconcile homosexuality with religious faith. It wasn’t until (I would guess?) the 70s or 80s that extremist fundamentalist born-again Christians zeroed in on gay people as primary targets of their hatred. Up until then, I feel like gayness is just something that probably was not discussed “in polite company,” and may have been quietly acknowledged but not spoken of or thought of all that much by most people. When all the Christians of the world hate you for your nature and you’re raised Christian, then you have to reconcile those things. But otherwise, for most people and even religious people, it was probably more of a societal upset—do I marry, can I live as a ‘confirmed bachelor’ without arousing suspicion? Etc.

by Anonymousreply 79March 26, 2020 12:09 PM

It was probably easier for Agnes to be passively "in love" with a luscious friend, like the young Debbie Reynolds, that to actively pursue women and be in The Life. Like Miss Stanwyck, she was devoted to work and platonic friendships.

by Anonymousreply 80March 26, 2020 1:41 PM

R78

There is no firm evidence AM was a lesbian; just a lot of talk from people that should know better, and others who have nothing better to do with themselves.

It was Debbie Reynolds son Todd Fisher who started everything allegedly saying his mother and AM had a long term affair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81March 26, 2020 1:41 PM

"There is no firm evidence..."

A likely story - mostly from scared straights when someone calls their idol gay. I've never seen a photo of Cary Grant and Randolph Scott doing it, so there's no firm evidence.

by Anonymousreply 82March 26, 2020 1:44 PM

Er, R10, what does that have to do with this thread?

by Anonymousreply 83March 26, 2020 1:44 PM

Boze Hadleigh picked up the story next and interviewed AM for his book on "Hollywood Lesbians", where he tried to pin Ms. Moorehead down to announcing she was a lesbian, but she didn't take the bait. At time of interview Ms. Moorehead had been diagnosed with the mortal illness that would soon end her life.

Mr. Hadleigh then turned to that spiteful bitch Paul Lynde for more information about AM, which he gladly supplied.

Agnes Moorehead was dead for about two decades before Mr. Hadleigh's book came out; do not know what if anything her estate had to say.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84March 26, 2020 1:49 PM

If you believe some old queens and others Alice Ghostley, Maurice Evans, Dick Sargent and Agnes Moorehead were all gay.

Suppose people run with AM being a lesbian because she never virutently denied it to someone's face, and or slapping them across it for saying such a thing. In other words guilty by damning silence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85March 26, 2020 1:54 PM

RB5 Dick Sargent came out publicly in 1991.

And I think Maurice Evans being gay was pretty well know in Hollywood, even if he never came out publicly.

by Anonymousreply 86March 26, 2020 2:15 PM

Agnes gives an eclair performance in Mr. Parkington (1944), a through-the-years Greer Garson vehicle. Moorhead plays the elegant and worldly Baroness Aspasia Conti, former mistress of Garson's husband (Walter Pidgeon), whom he asks to advise his rustic country 'girl' bride (40-year old Garson trying to play 18) on fashion, style and sophistication. In the process, the two women become lifelong friends. It was a well-deserved Oscar nomination but Agnes lost to Ethel Barrymore in None But The Lonely Heart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87March 26, 2020 2:47 PM

[quote]Agnes gives an eclair performance

You type fat.

by Anonymousreply 88March 26, 2020 2:53 PM

Agnes as a WML? mystery guest in 1973.

Panelist Lucie Arnaz would have once been her neighbor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89March 26, 2020 2:59 PM

Agnes as a WML? mystery guest in 1973.

Panelist Lucie Arnaz would have once been her neighbor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90March 26, 2020 2:59 PM

The interview at R84 is fascinating.

Seems like Agnes could have been pansexual or.....something more complex than the words of the day could describe. And also intensely private and religious.

by Anonymousreply 91March 26, 2020 4:06 PM

[quote]How did she get a nomination for TMA if they cut out her best parts? I'll have to watch it again, but I remember it seemed disjointed and kinda boring.

It is disjointed and boring, although it's interesting to look at. Her scenes are the only thing worth watching (like the one at R64). Although Joseph Cotten is always good to see.

by Anonymousreply 92March 26, 2020 4:09 PM

R90, close but not exactly borrowing coffee neighbors. Lucie lived next to the public golf course in a charming house that had a water wheel in front. Agnes lived closer to Fox behind the Hillcrest Country Club in a house that still stands.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93March 26, 2020 4:22 PM

This was Lucie's house. The water wheel is obstructed today by foliage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94March 26, 2020 4:24 PM

Eat me, R88

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95March 26, 2020 4:26 PM

Cute bit at R90 but it was not really true that she wasn't known for TV

by Anonymousreply 96March 26, 2020 4:27 PM

"This was Lucie's house"

LUCIE? That would be Lucie Arnaz. LUCY was Lucille Ball.

by Anonymousreply 97March 26, 2020 4:27 PM

R97, Lucie lived there. Lucy bought the house for her but Lucie lived in it for many years. Kids used to go there to swim and she'd always let them in. I know because I was one of them.

by Anonymousreply 98March 26, 2020 4:30 PM

Perhaps you could take that stone pillow out of your ass and fight nice. R97

by Anonymousreply 99March 26, 2020 4:31 PM

Are you new here, R99?

by Anonymousreply 100March 26, 2020 4:41 PM

R98 Was Lucie nice?

by Anonymousreply 101March 26, 2020 4:48 PM

Lucie was very sweet. She let all the kids in the hood swim at her house and would bring out lemonade for us.

by Anonymousreply 102March 26, 2020 4:52 PM

Lucie Arnaz raised her kids in Connecticut with husband Laurence Luckinbill. They moved to Palm Springs 5 years ago. When did she raise her kids in Los Angeles?

by Anonymousreply 103March 26, 2020 5:02 PM

R33 Well her name was Moorehead.

by Anonymousreply 104March 26, 2020 5:09 PM

Less Lucy , Moorehead

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105March 26, 2020 5:16 PM

Lucille Ball lived at 1000 N. Roxbury, Agnes at 1023 N. Roxbury. Lucie would have been Agnes's neighbor growing up.

The house in r93 was Bette Davis' house in "Feud". Agnes Moorehead apparently lived there from 1946-1953.

I thought I knew Lucy's houses. I know nothing of the house in r94 Address?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106March 26, 2020 5:19 PM

[Quote] It was Debbie Reynolds son Todd Fisher who started everything

What fresh nonsense is this? Debbie and Agnes have been talked about as a couple long before Debbie's death.

by Anonymousreply 107March 26, 2020 6:18 PM

Lucie spent a fairly long time at the house on Patricia/Butterfield Road. Her eldest son, almost got kicked out of Overland Elementary for poor behavior.

by Anonymousreply 108March 26, 2020 6:20 PM

What about Larry's poor behavior?

by Anonymousreply 109March 26, 2020 6:22 PM

And some more Cheviot Hills coincidences: Lucie's house is literally one block from Zasu Pitts' house and Michelle Phillips of the Mamas and the Papas lives about two blocks away. Agnes is only one or two houses away from former California Governor Pete Wilson.

by Anonymousreply 110March 26, 2020 6:26 PM

Surely Zasu and Agnes reside elsewhere...?

by Anonymousreply 111March 26, 2020 6:31 PM

Aggie had a hot snatch

by Anonymousreply 112March 26, 2020 6:54 PM

AM received a Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination for Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte in which she probably looked the worst ever on screen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113March 26, 2020 6:58 PM

Novelty Item: Agnes Moorhead and Joan Crawford on the set of Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte in the early stages when Crawford was working on the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114March 26, 2020 7:04 PM

Couldn't get more head outta it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115March 26, 2020 9:00 PM

[quote] Aggie had a hot snatch

but she couldn't live forever

by Anonymousreply 116March 26, 2020 9:43 PM

She used to always scare and delight me in equal measure when I'd watch her on Bewitched as a kid. I think it was the crazy hair and makeup.

by Anonymousreply 117March 26, 2020 10:03 PM

R86

Maurice Evans and Dick Sargent yes, but there isn't a shred of evidence either Alice Ghostlely or Agnes Moorehead were lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 118March 26, 2020 11:30 PM

R86

Maurice Evans and Dick Sargent yes, but there isn't a shred of evidence either Alice Ghostlely or Agnes Moorehead were lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 119March 26, 2020 11:30 PM

R82

Are you serious? There is at least something to go on with Cary Grant and Randolph Scott; their living arrangements, time spent together, etc... But no such things exist for AM.

Major film studios spent vast sums and considerable efforts to keep activities of Rock Hudson, Marlene Dietrich and other gay, lesbian or bi-sexual actors/actresses out of media. But even then there were few total secrets in Hollywood, people knew it just came down to what they would repeat in public.

If AM was an active lesbian or even bi-sexual those whom she hooked up with or whatever must have been paragons of discretion and affection . This because there isn't a shred of any sort of evidence other than tittle-tattle.

by Anonymousreply 120March 26, 2020 11:45 PM

Ouch! Moorehead's character of Velma pushed to her death in Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121March 27, 2020 12:10 AM

Take One and Take Two on the staircase scene, first with Joan Crawford, then with her replacement, Olivia de Havilland.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122March 27, 2020 12:16 AM

Agnes Moorehead and Debbie Reynolds playing unlikely nuns in the film The Singing Nun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123March 27, 2020 4:13 AM

Agnes built such a strong reputation playing bitches, that I’m always surprised when she plays a friendly or kind character.

I love her in “Since You Went Away” as Claudette Colbert’s snooty frenemy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124March 27, 2020 5:02 AM

"All That Heaven Allows" Agnes!

Patricia Clarkson did a great homage in "Far From Heaven."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125March 27, 2020 5:07 AM

^Yes^. I love ATHA! Melodrama from the director of imitation of Life.

"you're ready for a love affair but not for love!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126March 27, 2020 5:49 AM

R126. Knowing what we know now, that trailer is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 127March 27, 2020 12:28 PM

It's always surprising to see people known for playing bitches or villains on talk shows or in person and Agnes was no exception. She seemed like a very sweet person. In my experience, it's the ones who always play America's sweetheart that you have to watch out for. The ones who always play the bitches or baddies are usually delightful.

by Anonymousreply 128March 27, 2020 4:43 PM

The thing with her "son" suggests she wasn't a sweetheart. She was likely quite tough.

by Anonymousreply 129March 27, 2020 4:45 PM

[R126]: I love that movie.

by Anonymousreply 130March 28, 2020 6:35 AM

r122, sorry to derail the thread, I have not seen the film yet - does anyone wish Joan Crawford had stayed? Is there any footage of her in the part floating around?

by Anonymousreply 131March 29, 2020 12:21 AM

I always mistake her for Tallulah Bankhead and vice versa

by Anonymousreply 132March 29, 2020 12:28 AM

Aside from the snide Lynde comments, there is no evidence whatsoever that AM was a lesbian. It's on the same level as the ridiculous Jim Nabors/Rock Hudson wedding or the "J Edgar Hoover wore women's clothes" rumors.

Wasn't there a film where Agnes gets thrown out of a window to her death? I'm drawing a blank, but I think she played a murderess in the film.

by Anonymousreply 133March 29, 2020 1:27 AM

Agnes Moorehead made the play Sorry, Wrong Number famous on radio by doing it a number of times and becoming known for it. But when it came time to make the movie version of the radio play they picked Barbara Stanwyck to be the star because she was bigger box office. Moorehead was offered a supporting role in the movie as a nod to her but she declined it and went on to other projects, including doing the radio play again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134March 29, 2020 2:15 AM

Sorry, Wrong Number starring Barbara Stanwyck was released in 1948 and she was nominate for a Best Actress Oscar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135March 29, 2020 2:21 AM

'Agnes, more head.'

by Anonymousreply 136March 29, 2020 4:35 AM

I’ve always been really inspired by her name.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137March 29, 2020 4:50 AM

[quote]does anyone wish Joan Crawford had stayed

Oh God, yes.

De Havilland was passable but Crawford would have commanded the role.

Just look at the dual shots. Crawford pops whereas Livvie just kind of fades into the scenery.

by Anonymousreply 138March 29, 2020 5:18 AM

The pic at R85 is pretty amazing once you realize Montgomery is the only straight in the entire picture.

by Anonymousreply 139March 29, 2020 5:22 AM

[Quote] It's on the same level as the ridiculous Jim Nabors/Rock Hudson wedding

How is it on the same level when both those men were homosexuals? That fact was the root of the rumor.

by Anonymousreply 140March 29, 2020 9:58 AM

"Moorehead's close friend Debbie Reynolds stated categorically that Moorehead was not a lesbian. Reynolds' autobiography mentions the rumor and states it was maliciously started by one of Moorehead's husbands during their divorce. Moorehead's longtime friend and producer Paul Gregory concurs in the assessment. Quint Benedetti, Moorehead's longtime employee who is gay, also stated that Moorehead was not a lesbian and attributed the story to Paul Lynde's frequent gossiping and rumor-mongering"

by Anonymousreply 141March 29, 2020 10:14 AM

Thread killer.

by Anonymousreply 142March 31, 2020 5:48 PM

Why would Lynde start such a rumor? Did he and Agnes not get along?

by Anonymousreply 143March 31, 2020 6:30 PM

Paul Lynde worked with Agnes Moorehead so maybe he knows something that we don't. She was married twice but never had any children, if that means anything. It's open to speculation if she was a lesbian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144March 31, 2020 8:25 PM

If Agnes Moorehead had her qualms about gay Dick Sargent on Bewitched, one wonders what she thought of the more out and flamboyant Paul Lynde. The woman reduced Dick Sargent to tears by some accounts on several occasions; PL wasn't the sort to start blubbing, but throwing shade and acid was right up his street.

by Anonymousreply 145March 31, 2020 8:52 PM

Perhaps more important than the gay thing.......Moorehead liked/respected Dick York, who was a good actor. She might have been unhappy with him being replaced and perhaps didn't think Sargent was very good (I thought he wasn't very good, so I'd agree).

by Anonymousreply 146March 31, 2020 9:12 PM

How long did each of Moorehead's marriages last?

by Anonymousreply 147March 31, 2020 9:23 PM

"In 1930, Moorehead married actor John Griffith Lee; they divorced a year after fostering a boy named Sean in 1952. Moorehead and Lee fostered a boy whose mother had 14 children and were giving six up for adoption. Moorehead felt pity and fostered her son Sean in 1949, but there was never an adoption. Sean had a twin sister but Moorehead did not adopt her. According to Debbie Reynolds that little girl was adopted by another actor or actress. Moorehead fostered Sean but did not raise him nor was she really involved in his life. The employees of Moorehead took care of Sean while she was away being an actress. Sean begged her many times to come home and be with him. She also was a strict disciplinarian and wanted Sean to behave a certain way. She married actor Robert Gist in 1954, and they divorced in 1958."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148March 31, 2020 9:29 PM

[Quote] He was married to actress Agnes Moorehead from 1954 to 1958, although they separated in 1955. They met during the filming of The Stratton Story (1949).

[Quote] In a 1970 interview with David Frost, Gist discussed his involvement with and commitment to Synanon.

Hmm.

by Anonymousreply 149March 31, 2020 9:33 PM

Marriage to Robert Gist was on rocks barely one year after it happened; the couple were separated by 1955.

However if you believe various sources AM had very valid reasons to get herself away from Robert Gist ASAP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150March 31, 2020 9:33 PM

[Quote] Moorehead supported close friend Ronald Reagan for his 1966 run for governor of California.

She's dead to me.

by Anonymousreply 151March 31, 2020 9:36 PM

R150: That blog about Moorehead borders on weird. The blogger is a distant relative of Aggie and does deep dives into her personal and family history. Lots of suicide in her family.

by Anonymousreply 152March 31, 2020 10:03 PM

He also describes her as "the photogenic [...] actress." She had a decent profile but she wasn't especially good looking.

by Anonymousreply 153March 31, 2020 10:09 PM

Agnes Moorehead did a good job of playing a preacher in What's The Matter With Helen. She probably would have made a good one in real life since she was quite religious and had a commanding presence and voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154April 1, 2020 3:12 AM

Her father was a minister. I'm sure she' could do a great preacher.

by Anonymousreply 155April 1, 2020 3:30 AM

[quote] Perhaps more important than the gay thing.......Moorehead liked/respected Dick York, who was a good actor. She might have been unhappy with him being replaced

Why the fuck would she be unhappy with it? York was the one who went to the producers and the network and begged to have his contract revoked because of his medical issues with his back. He wasn't fired. He quit for health reasons.

by Anonymousreply 156April 1, 2020 7:19 AM

R156

It really comes down to which version of events one wishes to believe. Some say Dick York was forced off Bewitched, others that he agreed to depart of his own accord for health reasons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157April 1, 2020 10:10 AM

Another view:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158April 1, 2020 10:10 AM

No, Agnes Moorehead was not happy with Dick York's departure, nor was happy with Dick Sargent.

That being said think much of it was simply AM was an old school (and by then old) actress who was set in her ways. She personally liked Dick York and respected his work and other things about the man.

When you have an ensemble cast working tight knit for several seasons it becomes like family, or at best a well oiled machine. Obviously Dick Sargent was not Dick York, and even devoted fans/audience of Bewitched picked up on difference instantly. It really was a different show after DY departed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159April 1, 2020 10:20 AM

Let me get this straight: AM didn't even rate the show, to the point that she refused to do it full time, yet she was offended by "no talent" Dick Sargent? She sounds unprofessional.

by Anonymousreply 160April 1, 2020 10:25 AM

Even though Montgomery and York weren't particularly close, they worked well together on Bewitched. Kind of like Ted Danson and Shelley Long. Sargent (though a very nice man in real life) came off as Samantha's cranky , bitchy brother....not her husband.

by Anonymousreply 161April 2, 2020 12:44 AM

R141 How strange. Ex-husband Eddie Fisher implied Debbie Reynolds was a lesbian and had an affair with Moorehead. (Debbie did move in with her for a while). Reynolds sued, and Eddie had to take the reference out of his book in the paperback edition).

by Anonymousreply 162April 2, 2020 12:52 AM

Maybe because Dick Sargent was into guys, but whatever reasons there just wasn't same chemistry between Sam and Darrin as when Dick York had latter role.

Dick Sargent's Darrin always seemed to have a stick up his ass (don't go there....), and was always threatening or otherwise menacing Sam or members of her family.

OTOH Dick York and that elastic face of his always truly seemed perplexed, scared, befuddled, etc... at the range of events that occurred to or around him after Sam "came out" as a witch. Some of the faces and motions he pulled after being turned back into a human or in come cases after being disintegrated were priceless.

IMHO Dick York's portrayal of Darrin Stephens is more in line with how most humans/mortals would react upon finding out all the things they were told didn't exist; really did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163April 2, 2020 1:05 AM

The first season of Bewitched was my favorite. It didn't rely on visual magic so much, and was more about how this "mixed marriage" would work out. I remember an episode where they both had to deal with the fact that Darrin would continue to grow old, while Samantha wouldn't. I can't picture Sargent in those type of poignant scenes.

But a major part of the problem was overall recasting. Except for the part of Louise Tate, none of the recasts (Sargent for York, Sandra Gould for Alice Pearce, Alice Ghostley for the Marion Lorne-type character) really worked out.

by Anonymousreply 164April 2, 2020 1:15 AM

She left her family's Ohio estate and farmlands, Moorehead Manor, to Bob Jones University, as well as some biblical studies books from her personal library. Her will stipulated that BJU should use the farm for retreats and special meetings with a Christian emphasis, but in May 1976, BJU traded the farmlands with an Ohio college for $25,000 and a collection of her library books.

by Anonymousreply 165April 2, 2020 1:19 AM

From word go, no one could have played Endora better than AM; she was just made for that role. No wonder Elizabeth Montgomery pushed hard to get her to sign onto show.

First few episodes if not season of any sitcom actors usually are working on finding their characters. If show continues by season two onward things settle down.

Endora became slightly less menacing as Bewitched rolled on; even at times some what (begrudgingly) affectionate towards her SIL

by Anonymousreply 166April 2, 2020 1:30 AM

Ironically, Dick Sargent was the first choice to play the role of Darrin on Bewitched but he had to turn it because of another work commitment. He caught the brass ring 5 years later when Dick York left the series and was on the show for its last 3 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167April 2, 2020 1:41 AM

Sargent was under contract to Universal. He wound up playing brother to Tammy Grimes on her horrible sitcom a couple years later. Grimes was the first choice to play Samantha! She would have been horrible--Montgomery had far more depth as an actress. Sargent was was not a very good actor---he always played bit parts in movies, second leads in tv. York had a stronger resume and wider range of roles---he had had guest roles on many anthology and dramatic series. He had stage experience. He wa not a leading man but could have a leading role in an ensemble like Bewitched.

Moorehead obviously cared about her craft and respected other people who were skilled, too. She respected York and had been working with him for years. A hackish newcomer wasn't going to get her respect.

by Anonymousreply 168April 2, 2020 2:36 AM

R168

All true!

Shame people only know Dick York from Bewitched, because he had a pretty full CV before that show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169April 2, 2020 2:47 AM

IIRC working name for lead female character in Bewitched was "Cassandra", which was later changed to Samantha. However a trend was set and continued that all witches had names ending with soft "A" sounds. Samantha, Endora, Hagatha, Esmeralda, Tabitha, Enchantra, etc...

by Anonymousreply 170April 3, 2020 3:48 AM

Why Dick York left Bewitched....

IMHO a truly professional actor like DY saw he couldn't hold up his end of the ensemble cast and did the right thing by bowing out. Now maybe Elizabeth Montgomery and others had a hand in things (she apparently never really liked her co-star and wanted him gone yesterday), is another matter.

By final season before his departure you never really saw Darrin/Dick York in episodes. Due to his continuing illness and deteriorating condition usually he was either written out of episodes at last minute (forcing rewrites and other work around), or was lying on the sofa in living room. That or Darrin/DY would be seen early in episode then go off to his office, to play golf, or anything else that explained his absence. Balance of episode was shot around him only to have Darrin return home later when things were nearly over. From time to time Darrin/DY would be seen calling home from the office or wherever he was, but that isn't same.

From a professional acting point of view if you are one of the main characters you need to contribute. Even when heavily pregnant Elizabeth Montgomery showed up, things were just done to shoot around her changed figure. Alice Pearce (Gladys Kravitz) showed up ready to work, knowing her marks/lines etc.. all the while she was dying of a terminal illness.

Only alternative would have been to cancel Bewitched after Dick York left, which just wasn't in the cards as show still had decent ratings. Though it didn't take long for that to change so maybe in hindsight......

by Anonymousreply 171April 3, 2020 4:00 AM

R171 There is another version, probably the most truthful one, that explains the demise of Dick York as Darrin on Bewitched in a book that I bought which was an extensive study of the show. On the 5th season he missed 14 episodes of the show (called in sick) because of his backpain/health problems. He also took a week off of work when his mother died. The producers of the show were alarmed by all his absences and could see an increasing pattern as well as the writing on the wall. Although they sympathized with his issues they knew that the show must go on - his 5 years contract was up and they decided not to renew it which meant that he was off the show. It was their choice, not his, and Dick Sargent was hired as the 2nd Darrin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172April 3, 2020 4:16 AM

every one of these people are

DEAD!!!!

by Anonymousreply 173April 3, 2020 4:27 AM

[quote] She detested Dick Sargent and called him Colonel Penis

That was his own nickname since childhood. Dick’s mother told Aggie he would respond well if she called him that.

by Anonymousreply 174April 3, 2020 4:46 AM

Why was his back so messed up?

by Anonymousreply 175April 3, 2020 5:47 AM

I agree, Agnes Moorehead was not a lesbian.

She was a bisexual

duh

by Anonymousreply 176April 3, 2020 6:31 AM

You could believe Elizabeth and Dick " Did it ." Just like you could believe DVD and MTM " Did it." It helps with the credibility of the show .

by Anonymousreply 177April 3, 2020 6:51 AM

R172 They probably came to mutual agreement. Getting "fired" would probably entitle York to receive financial benefits that he desperately needed. Benefits he'd be unable to claim if he had quit.

by Anonymousreply 178April 3, 2020 7:00 AM

R175

That information is out there, including IIRC on Dick York's Wikipedia page.

Long story short DY (IIRC) was filming a western or some sort of scene with one of those rail wagon contraptions with two people that push up and down on a see saw type of arm. The other actor let go of his end and DY went flying..... His back was never the same afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 179April 3, 2020 7:06 AM

"York was cast in 1964 as Darrin Stephens, beloved husband of Samantha (Elizabeth Montgomery), on Bewitched. But the actor was beset by health problems from the moment he was hired. He suffered from a serious back injury sustained when a railroad car fell on him while he was filming the 1959 Gary Cooper film They Came to Cordura. In daily pain, York became addicted to drugs and alcohol, and was so debilitated he was written out of 14 episodes. Finally, in September 1969, York had a paralyzing seizure and was rushed to the hospital. He never returned, and Dick Sargent took over the role. "I left in an ambulance writhing in pain," York later said, "but I never missed the show, nor have I ever regretted the decision to leave." York died in 1992."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180April 3, 2020 7:16 AM

For another point of view see link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181April 3, 2020 7:17 AM

Have always believed what my parents did (especially when it came to their children, *LOL*); listen to both sides of a story and somewhere in the middle of each is the truth.

by Anonymousreply 182April 3, 2020 7:18 AM

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet but apparently Agnes Moorehead was obsessed with Susan Hayward.

by Anonymousreply 183April 3, 2020 8:58 AM

She liked a call with a gun (Hayward had a lot of hard bitten roles like that).

by Anonymousreply 184April 3, 2020 5:48 PM

R180 -- two items down in the article you linked to:

Q: Whatever happened to Danny Pintauro, who played the boy on Who's The Boss? E.S., Mount Dora.

A: The 21-year-old young man is now attending Stanford University, where he played trumpet in the marching band, performed in several campus plays, and studies English and drama.

by Anonymousreply 185April 3, 2020 9:43 PM

[quote] Finally, in September 1969, York had a paralyzing seizure and was rushed to the hospital.

That’s not quite accurate. Dick Sargent began with the first episode of the 69-70 season, and it had been announced a few months earlier that he would be taking over. York was history by the end of the 68-69 season.

by Anonymousreply 186April 3, 2020 10:21 PM

Don't know if this was posted above, but it's an excellent showcase of Moorehead's radio talent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187April 4, 2020 12:19 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188April 4, 2020 12:52 AM

Aggie looking quite glum. She probably knew she was going to lose this last Oscar nomination of her life for HHSC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189April 4, 2020 2:00 AM

A lesbian?

Darling, she never sucked MY cock!

by Anonymousreply 190April 4, 2020 3:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!