Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is this the definitive crisis of our generation?

Will we look back in 10, 20 years on this and think of it as a defining crisis?

by Anonymousreply 79March 26, 2020 5:54 PM

I would say it's at least up there. Nothing else has made the entire world come to a screeching halt like this that I can think of.

by Anonymousreply 1March 25, 2020 4:47 PM

No Rose: we'll think of it as having been a good chance to catch up on re-runs of Orange is the New Black.

by Anonymousreply 2March 25, 2020 4:47 PM

I've seen the struggle for civil rights fail, the ERA go down in flames, mass killings of school children, MLK assassinated, riots, wars for profit, mothers torn from children by our own government, and now disease.....

I'd think its an end to ever having any hope of improvement, if nothing else. Color me jaded. Maybe I'll just ask Rand Paul to lick my face.

by Anonymousreply 3March 25, 2020 4:51 PM

It’s up there with 9/11, the moon landings, the JFK assassination and Watergate.

by Anonymousreply 4March 25, 2020 5:05 PM

the moon landings were a crisis, R4?

by Anonymousreply 5March 25, 2020 5:06 PM

[quote]Is this the definitive crisis of our generation?

If it's not, boy are you guys fucked!

by Anonymousreply 6March 25, 2020 5:07 PM

In twenty years, climate change will make this look like a bout of measels.

by Anonymousreply 7March 25, 2020 5:07 PM

It's definitely up there with when Richard Madden was photographed walking down the street with a gay man.

by Anonymousreply 8March 25, 2020 5:08 PM

That's just the thing, R7....no one knows why this virus jumped species. We've got seemingly healthy people getting sick from things that were never an issue before; things proliferating under new, warmer, wetter conditions. Winters used to kill off ticks up in the mountains. Now we have warnings for three different species.

Hold onto your hats, people. This is only the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 9March 25, 2020 5:10 PM

It has to be - to say this is unprecedented is being mild.

I predict that they're going to have those fever scanners now at the airport as part of screening. Flying when you're sick will not be an option anymore.

by Anonymousreply 10March 25, 2020 5:12 PM

I hope so, OP. I hope this is it and nothing worse happens.

9/11 was almost 20 years ago, so this is next generation. I think the financial repercussions will be greater than the 2008 Great Recession. It's a one-two punch and things will be dark for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 11March 25, 2020 5:18 PM

Not if in the next 10-20 years something bigger comes along. Or if we all die from this one

by Anonymousreply 12March 25, 2020 5:20 PM

I imagine it would be for people who have the memories and historical knowledge of overly boiled turnips.

by Anonymousreply 13March 25, 2020 5:22 PM

9/11 was nothing compared to this. This is a global pandemic causing unprecedented changes to life across the globe. 9/11 was a small plane accident in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 14March 25, 2020 5:23 PM

Can all the world leaders call up China and say - Hey China, can we talk when you have a sec?

They need to insist on health and food standards - and a prevention campaign to stop eating all these exotic animals. It can be done - pretty easily actually.

If not, they need to impose some serious sanctions or other incentives to clean up their act.

by Anonymousreply 15March 25, 2020 5:24 PM

No. This will pass. Hopefully a training for the much worse virus that will come in the next 20-30 years. Compared to HIV, I think this is innocuous - it affects a wider population but mainly kills the elderly (average age in Italy 79.5). Hypercapitalism and it’s side effects, the elimination of jobs via technology and the effect of the internet on political systems (ex., the end of journalism and the ability to manipulate information and votes) are much more impactful.

by Anonymousreply 16March 25, 2020 5:25 PM

R14, did you just learn about 9/11 in school? Sounds like it.

by Anonymousreply 17March 25, 2020 5:27 PM

I dunno, R16. If 1-2% of the population (and mostly older, retired people) were suddenly raptured, the ongoing effects would not be that great. But things being shut down like this is unprecedented. The impact will be felt for a while.

by Anonymousreply 18March 25, 2020 5:30 PM

They're not being suddenly raptured, they're clogging hospitals, or at least they will if it gets to 1% of the population. It would be pandemonium to have that many people sick and dying at once.

by Anonymousreply 19March 25, 2020 5:34 PM

R17 No. I was in my mid 20s when 9/11 happened. You're being entirely US-centric if you think 9/11 was bigger than this. 9/11 didn't have the global impact this pandemic is having. You can say it was deeply traumatic for the American people, and I don't doubt it was, but coronavirus is already having a bigger impact on the everyday lives of billions of people.

by Anonymousreply 20March 25, 2020 5:37 PM

worse than 9/11

by Anonymousreply 21March 25, 2020 5:40 PM

Uh, that was my point, R19.

- R18

by Anonymousreply 22March 25, 2020 5:41 PM

R19 - 1% is the death rate. 20% will need hospitalization. So if 25% of Americans get the virus, and 20% need hospitalization, then we're looking almost 17 million hospital beds needed.

We currently have a little over 900,000 hospital beds in the entire US.

Let's hope the isolation works. I thought this week was supposed to be the bad week, now they're saying it won't peak for another 2-3 weeks???!!!

by Anonymousreply 23March 25, 2020 5:44 PM

R17 9/11 was big thing only for you Americans, not the rest of us

by Anonymousreply 24March 25, 2020 5:47 PM

I think it depends whether historians will look back to this event as huge catalyst to new rounds of government control and limited personal freedoms.

If we enact laws, as we did after 9/11 and the Patriot Act, this round could wind up being devastating. Given the international spread of the virus, do you think there won't be a crackdown on undocumented immigration? Do you think they won't try to enact policies to restrict travel and require testing for illnesses? We saw with HIV the wide acceptance of travel restrictions. How much will people cheer to limit travel of potentially sick people. In turn, required medical testing has the potential to expand beyond the original intent, just like the RICO laws did.

Even now, California is technically under martial law under the legislation they just passed. They just not calling it that, nor are they enforcing the most draconian, but now legal, restrictions and penalties.

by Anonymousreply 25March 25, 2020 5:49 PM

It could be. It's almost as bad as when she didn't win the Oscar!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 25, 2020 5:49 PM

[quote] 9/11 didn't have the global impact this pandemic is having.

It’s not as if a couple of decades-long wars were the result.

by Anonymousreply 27March 25, 2020 5:59 PM

Those decades-long wars don't directly affect 95% of the world

by Anonymousreply 28March 25, 2020 6:02 PM

AIDS was worse.

by Anonymousreply 29March 25, 2020 6:03 PM

[quote]I've seen the struggle for civil rights fail,

Bullshit, we had a black president in a country where blacks are less than 14% of the population.

If you're gonna have an agenda, at least make it accurate

by Anonymousreply 30March 25, 2020 6:06 PM

R14 semantics perhaps, but 9/11 was not a "plane accident".

by Anonymousreply 31March 25, 2020 6:07 PM

R27 Those decades-long wars, however awful for those involved, are localised. This affects every country on the planet and many, many more will die than died on 9/11. I'd even say more Americans will die from this than died in 9/11.

by Anonymousreply 32March 25, 2020 6:08 PM

I think this is serious but so far I also thing it's overblown. I don't mind the economic cost, but at the moment it's difficult to predict that in 6 months this will have killed millions, for example.

by Anonymousreply 33March 25, 2020 6:08 PM

R31 I know it wasn't. I said in comparison it makes it look like "a small plane accident".

The point I've tried to make is that people are comparing this pandemic to 9/11 and they are completely incomparable. Americans may compare everything to 9/11 as it was such a big thing for them, but the reality is that it was localised and "only" a few thousands died. You can get all emotional about the thought of 9/11, and I understand that, but 9/11 didn't have the far-reaching effects of coronavirus. 9/11 didn't even put American cities on lockdown, never mind all the hundreds of millions of people in Western Europe, the 1.3 billion people in India etc etc.

Ask the billions of people across the globe which was worse for them - coronavirus, which has affected every country on Earth and has billions of people confined to their homes? Or 9/11 that only substantially affected the American people?

I'm not American-bashing here. I truly think you have much worse to come and it'll make 9/11 look small in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 34March 25, 2020 6:20 PM

You can only hope this is the definitive crisis. This is a pain in the neck - heartbreaking for families losing loved ones - financially scary - but hopefully you have a roof over your head and food in your pantry and a Netflix subscription. There are 100 things that are far, far worse - a nuclear war comes to mind. Say a prayer and count your blessings - this too shall pass.

by Anonymousreply 35March 25, 2020 6:27 PM

[quote] but the reality is that it was localised

The ramifications of 9/11 were absolutely not localized. The fallout from that event had huge geopolitical consequences in the Middle East as well, as yes, Europe -- changes in security and foreign policy, radicalization of a huge portion of a population, terrorism, the 'wars' on terrorism, instability in the middle east leading to a refugee crisis.

by Anonymousreply 36March 25, 2020 6:32 PM

R36 No-one's talking about ramifications. We can't compare ramifications as we're still in the early days of this crisis. 9/11 - the hijacked planes and what happened on that day, while huge for the American people, was still a localised event with "only" a few thousand deaths. It might have directly affected the entire population of NYC and other cities but we're still only talking millions.

You can't compare that to coronavirus which is already directly affecting billions, again, on a scale that 9/11 never did. 9/11 didn't directly affect billions of people. I don't disagree that 9/11 had long-term consequences but it didn't have the direct, immediate global consequences coronavirus is already having.

by Anonymousreply 37March 25, 2020 6:46 PM

What R15 said.

by Anonymousreply 38March 25, 2020 7:04 PM

OP is very optimistic that he will survive this to look back on it in 10 or 20 years.

From what I can see in NY old people who get it don’t stand a chance of surviving it but a lot of young and middle aged people with no health issues are succumbing.

by Anonymousreply 39March 25, 2020 7:27 PM

AIDS

by Anonymousreply 40March 25, 2020 7:29 PM

The ticking time bomb is all those ridiculously irresponsible people who took the opportunity to leave NYC to go to their second homes thus bringing COVID to brand new areas.

by Anonymousreply 41March 25, 2020 7:29 PM

R41 and when they come back to NY they are required to quarantine for 14 days. I hope people can social shame them into complying and reporting them when they don’t.

by Anonymousreply 42March 25, 2020 7:50 PM

Gee, when I think of all the crises I've lived through. But, yeah. I think for anyone under twenty, this will be a definitive crisis. I can compare this to the shock and horror of living through 9/11 in NYC. The weeks after were just a bizarre series of revelations about the hijackers, then came the anthrax scares. The terror of that day didn't just end for me and stretched out for months afterwards so I had to leave NYC at a time when things were going well. But, yeah, this is sort of a mild existential terror compared to 9/11.

by Anonymousreply 43March 25, 2020 7:51 PM

Cities WERE locked down after 9/11. NYC and, I assume, DC. Shorter duration but a much tighter lockdown.

by Anonymousreply 44March 25, 2020 9:16 PM

The answer to OP’s question may become clear in the fullness of time. I could imagine this time of pestilence becoming the crisis of a generation.

by Anonymousreply 45March 25, 2020 9:22 PM

The answer to OP’s question may become clear in the fullness of time. I could imagine this time of pestilence becoming the crisis of a generation.

by Anonymousreply 46March 25, 2020 9:22 PM

You just wanted to use the word pestilence again.

by Anonymousreply 47March 25, 2020 9:24 PM

No, it won't be. This is blown out of proportion. The prediction of millions dying is totally exaggerated.

by Anonymousreply 48March 25, 2020 9:24 PM

R44 Right. But this time there are 1.3 billion people locked down in India, hundreds of millions were locked down in China. Hundreds of millions are locked down in Europe. That's a much, much bigger deal than NYC, which is ALSO locked down this time.

How can you people not realise the enormity of this situation? It's all happening at the same time across the entire planet. We're not talking about far-reaching consequences in the future, we're talking NOW and it's still only the beginning of it. Please get over your 9/11 emotional baggage and realise how fucking serious this all is. Perhaps if you and your President weren't so hung up on 9/11 you'd have been able to look at this situation with the clarity it deserves and you'd be better prepared. Navel-gazing seems to be in your DNA.

by Anonymousreply 49March 25, 2020 9:45 PM

It is as big as WW2, Or any world war. It will play out to be an enormous disaster.

by Anonymousreply 50March 25, 2020 10:02 PM

It has the potential to kill more people than WWII. It has an infection ratio of 1:3 which means when one person infects three others, within ten stages, 59,000 people are infected. COVID is more highly contagious than any flu virus we've known. That's why this one is so serious. It's not just "flu".

by Anonymousreply 51March 25, 2020 11:03 PM

R50, my bf’s 92-year old mother lived through The Blitz in WW2. I spoke to her the other night to see how she is doing and she said she survived WW2, she can adjust to this.

by Anonymousreply 52March 25, 2020 11:08 PM

Your generation?

Sure.

Forced to sit at home, sleep late, stay up late and play video games while bitching about how hard life is while other people do the real work.

It's called "no change, no problem."

by Anonymousreply 53March 25, 2020 11:10 PM

The Kardashians remain this generation’s definitive crisis.

by Anonymousreply 54March 25, 2020 11:14 PM

R53 Must be one of those Heroic Boomers or Xers who lived through the Depression and WWII and stormed the beaches of Normandy to liberate the free world.

Oh wait!

by Anonymousreply 55March 25, 2020 11:18 PM

This was a crisis we could see coming, especially those of us in the United States since we had more time. 9/11 was a complete and utter shock; the United States was sent in a complete tailspin. 9/11 made many people, especially Americans, question faith in humanity for many months after.

Neither of these are the definitive crisis of my life. The Recession, especially in year 2009, definitely shaped me the most. I didn't have a job for almost two years and I was absolutely miserable in every aspect of my life. Unlike this, there was no horizon easily visible. People need to put this in perspective.

by Anonymousreply 56March 25, 2020 11:52 PM

Not to add on fears, but...China is sitting on a huge amount of capital. Supposedly, they're past the curve. With decimated countries around the world, could they not sweep in and buy up a lot of shit for pennies on the dollar?

Or - will NATO countries be so taxed out we can't step in when Russia takes over Ukraine and all the former satellite countries again? Or if China invades Taiwan?

Or, on the sunny side, this is a 2 month blip and we'll be back to normal by June. That's what I'm hoping for - June normalcy.

by Anonymousreply 57March 26, 2020 12:04 AM

Yes, OP, and how you act during the crises defines you, too.

by Anonymousreply 58March 26, 2020 12:15 AM

Pestilence

by Anonymousreply 59March 26, 2020 2:01 AM

Not if the flu of 1918-19, which, until recently, was largely lost to history is any lesson.

by Anonymousreply 60March 26, 2020 2:21 AM

This doesn’t feel as bad or scary as 9-11. This will pass in a month or two, and the economy will rebound.

by Anonymousreply 61March 26, 2020 3:10 AM

i mean it just like 9-11, some people coughed up some things

by Anonymousreply 62March 26, 2020 3:15 AM

Too early to tell how much psychological and economic damage this has caused. Summer is ruined for the travel and tourism industry. Analysts for the industry estimate 6 million jobs will be lost. Rumors are Disney has pushed the reopening date for their parks and resorts to some time in "mid-May" but probably later.

by Anonymousreply 63March 26, 2020 3:30 AM

My master plan of stocking up in February has been foiled as I still have tons of chips but have run out of dip.

by Anonymousreply 64March 26, 2020 3:50 AM

Looking back, this will be viewed as a mass hysteria..... "Really old people are dying. News at 11."

by Anonymousreply 65March 26, 2020 3:58 AM

R65, There have been about 1.3 million Americans who have died in war, since the revolution. This is high because we fought ourselves during the Civil War and the Indian Wars. An estimated 675,000 Americans died of influenza during the 1918 pandemic.

This Coronavirus could kill, at 1% to 4%; between 3.3 and 13.2 million. It could hospitalize, perhaps, 20%, or 66 million Americans. There is no comparison to our wars or the early 20th century flu.

Just as a matter of money, it will be far more costly for these people to die, many of them the most experienced in their fields, than we are losing by shutting down the economy for a number of weeks or even months. So, no, this is not mass hysteria. It is under appreciated.

(I’m glad I saved the above when I posted it before. I imagine I’ll wind-up posting it in response to other’s comments many times for a few more weeks, before such comments stop.)

by Anonymousreply 66March 26, 2020 4:06 AM

The Governor of Florida has refused to issue any kind of lock-down. Can we shame him into sending all his respirators to NY, CA, MA, and elsewhere where the moment is being taken seriously?

Sometimes I just want to build a wall.

by Anonymousreply 67March 26, 2020 4:32 AM

Century.

by Anonymousreply 68March 26, 2020 5:14 AM

R65 You stupid fuck. Why don’t you pull your trumpist head out of your asshole and read and observe. Look at videos of hospitals in Italy and Spain. Read about front line workers who have died. They’re not all old people. They’re not all middle aged people. They’re all ages, including young kids. You fucking selfish piece if shite. Fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 69March 26, 2020 5:18 AM

The way AIDS was for the gay community, the way 9/11 was for those who had a close family member die, the way Katrina was for people in New Orleans, that’s how COVID-19 is for EVERYONE. Look how it’s affecting the most basic aspects of our lives and freedoms — in ways that until now we never even thought about Precisely because THATs how basic they are. There has never been anything that has permeated every aspect of our lives in such a way.

Heck, even the two World Wars it’s not as if everyone went off to fight — just men of a certain age. This is everyone.

by Anonymousreply 70March 26, 2020 5:19 AM

Which generation?

And what a stupid fucking question—who knows what's coming in 1, 5, 10 years?

WHO CARES

by Anonymousreply 71March 26, 2020 5:26 AM

No. The war we're going to have with China soon will be the definitive crisis of this generation.

by Anonymousreply 72March 26, 2020 1:06 PM

R15 Sure, can world's leaders also call US and say can everyone please hand over their guns? Sure, things like that can totally happen. These sick fucks believe they are getting some extra health/strength by eating lions, elephant and rhino horns and what not. These are the same people that torture dogs on the streets and then skin them and boil them alive cause they think they taste better then. How do you talk sense into a sick fuck with no moral compass?

by Anonymousreply 73March 26, 2020 1:13 PM

I'm in my late 50s.

I don't think people agree to which generation they belong to. I don't think each generation has a consensus on what is a "definitive crisis"

Personally I doubt this will be THE definitive crisis for "my generation" because AIDS was just too grisly for me and my friends. AIDS was usually a death sentence, for 15 years of the epidemic. I was young, I thing it was even worse for men 10 years older. It started to hit my "generation" in the late 80s. Friends, colleagues, boyfriends, lovers, occasionally family - long, horrible illnesses than death. And the fucking STIGMA and the fight for treatment and rights.

So that's my take.

For the general population, COVID-19 might be it.

by Anonymousreply 74March 26, 2020 1:21 PM

Plus the fear, during AIDS. And the myriad safe sex rules.

by Anonymousreply 75March 26, 2020 1:23 PM

[quote] How do you talk sense into a sick fuck with no moral compass?

I think Democrats are still trying to figure that out in regards to the entire Trump-voting populace.

by Anonymousreply 76March 26, 2020 2:19 PM

R3 is this the ERA?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77March 26, 2020 2:31 PM

No, we're no longer trying to figure out why 37% of the voting populace is willing to accept the risk just to prove some inane point. What I'm trying to do, and I can only speak for this libtard, is have enough concern for them as fellow Americans as they give me dirty looks in the grocery store for keeping my distance. I'll admit I'm struggling to show them the human decency and compassion they clearly need and hate.

Whatever gods they pray to better be listening. I'm running out of patience fast and if I get sick, well what's to stop me from a visit to the grocery store again?

by Anonymousreply 78March 26, 2020 2:52 PM

"This will pass in a month or two, and the economy will rebound."

No. The economy will not rebound until well into Joe Biden's presidency. Coronavirus, under control in Dec, will always be with us.

by Anonymousreply 79March 26, 2020 5:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!