Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Memories of my childhood hated shows

Newhart, Barney Miller, Mash, Little House on the Prairie

by Anonymousreply 52March 27, 2020 12:24 AM

Fish, Taxi

by Anonymousreply 1March 25, 2020 6:00 AM

60 Minutes, because it competed with my beloved Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries and getting to see my crush Shaun Cassidy. My brother some how convinced my parents that he had to watch 60 Minutes for school, but I think it was all a ruse to spite me. He had a crush on David, so you think he would have been sympathetic for me to get my jones on with Shaun.

by Anonymousreply 2March 25, 2020 6:04 AM

Barney Miller

M*A*S*H*

The Waltons

The Lawrence Welk Show

The Price is Right

Hogan's Heroes (always on in reruns in the 70s)

My Three Sons (ditto)

Petticoat Junction (ditto)

by Anonymousreply 3March 25, 2020 6:08 AM

Really liked Newhart and Barney Miller. M*A*S*H and Little House, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 4March 25, 2020 6:09 AM

The Beverly Hillbilles

Gilligan's Island

by Anonymousreply 5March 25, 2020 6:10 AM

Cocksuckers

by Anonymousreply 6March 25, 2020 6:14 AM

The Facts of Life, The Love Boat

by Anonymousreply 7March 25, 2020 6:23 AM

One Day at a Time

by Anonymousreply 8March 25, 2020 6:29 AM

My parents loved MASH, Barney Miller and Taxi. I never thought they were funny. I still don't.

Meanwhile, they had no time for the Mary Tyler Moore Show, Bob Newhart or Soap. I loved them then, I love them now.

My dad and I did like to watch Cheers, The Greatest American Hero and WKRP together. We still remind each other each November to watch the Thanksgiving episode of Cheers that ends in a food fight.

by Anonymousreply 9March 25, 2020 6:33 AM

Fucking Jem

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 25, 2020 6:40 AM

Mr Rogers Neighborhood. I remember telling my mom how I thought he was a pedophile. I was like 5 yrs old at the time.

by Anonymousreply 11March 26, 2020 12:57 AM

Full House

by Anonymousreply 12March 26, 2020 1:02 AM

Star Trek

by Anonymousreply 13March 26, 2020 1:11 AM

Waltons

Perfect Strangers

Love Boat

Hogan’s Heroes - who in the fuck thought slapstick Nazis was a good idea?

by Anonymousreply 14March 26, 2020 1:14 AM

Step By Step and Full House. Both of those shows were a bore. Family Matters was and hardly better. Give more Sabrina The Teenage Witch!

by Anonymousreply 15March 26, 2020 1:15 AM

I used to like Hogan's Heroes when I was a boy but now it seems like the most bizarre premise for a TV sitcom ever. What were the adults who had gone through the war thinking?

by Anonymousreply 16March 26, 2020 1:17 AM

I always mix up Hogan's Heroes with The Hogan Family -- totally different shows! 😂

by Anonymousreply 17March 26, 2020 1:21 AM

How could anyone hate Barney Miller?

by Anonymousreply 18March 26, 2020 1:21 AM

A kid who watched Barney Miller or Newhart? 😂

by Anonymousreply 19March 26, 2020 1:23 AM

Mr Rogers. I always thought it was so boring.

by Anonymousreply 20March 26, 2020 1:30 AM

Mash, Fish, Taxi, Mr. Rogers, Sesame Place, Fat Albert, The Cosby Show

by Anonymousreply 21March 26, 2020 1:39 AM

The Love Connection 🤮, Wheel of Fortune -- always sensed that Chuck Woolery and Pat Sajack were cunts in real life

by Anonymousreply 22March 26, 2020 1:44 AM

[quote]Hogan’s Heroes - who in the fuck thought slapstick Nazis was a good idea?

Taika Waititi

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 26, 2020 1:48 AM

How can you mention The Love Boat without it’s next hour buddy, Fantasy Island?

I would watch those shows each week with my grandmother. And then when she went to bed, I would stay up a bit later and try to understand just WTF Benny Hill was about.

by Anonymousreply 24March 26, 2020 1:50 AM

I hated Gilligan , and the Waltons. Does anyone here remember Sea Hunt and Ripcord?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 26, 2020 2:05 AM

I couldn't stand watching Green Acres. I felt so sorry for Lisa having to give up Park Avenue for life on that horrid farm, sometimes I'd cry.

by Anonymousreply 26March 26, 2020 2:32 AM

I didn't like Barney Miller, MASH, or Taxi because the sets were so dreary and drab, and the casts were ugly (Mary!).

by Anonymousreply 27March 26, 2020 2:36 AM

I felt sorry for her having to give up Times Square. When it was still Times Square. Who wants to live on a farm when they could have been going to Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 28March 26, 2020 2:37 AM

Agreed R27. The premise that Hawkeye was supposed to be some sex God was laughable. Such a horribly fugly cast.

by Anonymousreply 29March 26, 2020 2:37 AM

Weird thread title. Written by Yoda? Anyway, this is about tv shows we hated? Alright then... Bonanza, F Troop, Big Valley, Wonderful World of Disney, Lost in Space, Lassie, Bat Masterson, Star Trek

But I loved Perry Mason, Jeopardy, Rocky and Bullwinkle, David Suskind (I was a weird kid), Outer Limits...

by Anonymousreply 30March 26, 2020 2:48 AM

Hee-Haw gave me the creeps. It was obviously bad, but lots of shows in those days had dumb humor. Hee-Haw was... different. Something was just OFF about it. Coked-up men acting like brain-damaged 10 year olds; ugly, loud women with strange hair and poor boundaries; non-stop canned laughter; distressed-looking barn animals. I would not be surprised to find out they were all part of a satanic pedophilia / zoophilia cult.

by Anonymousreply 31March 26, 2020 3:09 AM

All the shows my older brother loved I couldn't stand- Hogans Heros, ,Mission Impossible, Barney Miller.

by Anonymousreply 32March 26, 2020 3:19 AM

Gomer Pyle, UMC

F-Troop

Hogan's Heroes

Room 222

by Anonymousreply 33March 26, 2020 3:32 AM

I hated everything on ABC. The colors were not as vibrant as CBS; the actors were not as attractive; the writing seemed amateurish even to my childhood self.

The only thing I liked on NBC was Laugh-In, even though I didn’t get it. I watched CBS almost exclusively.

by Anonymousreply 34March 26, 2020 4:10 AM

Alas, we were too poor for TV, and my father and mother boozed all the money away from his job sifting garbage for useable salvage items, like Clorox bottles and tab tops. Iowa had no stations that carried to the little country town where our hovel was located. More of a dugout, or burrow, really. But I had the voles and earthworms to play with.

by Anonymousreply 35March 26, 2020 4:56 AM

Sanford and Son Beverly Hillbillies Gomer effin Pyle Hee Haw Jackie Gleason show I Love Lucy..

for starters

by Anonymousreply 36March 26, 2020 5:03 AM

Streets of San Francisco - the clothes were cheap and Illfitting.

Canon/McCloud - the fat voice and the croak voice

by Anonymousreply 37March 26, 2020 5:18 AM

R27, certainly Fish and Yemana were fug, but Wojo had a very appealing big beef quality.

I hated Zoom and that stupid zoom language, ubby wubby fubboo chubby bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 38March 26, 2020 6:55 AM

I read all of the Laura Ingalls Wilder books (Mary!) and was thoroughly disappointed by "Little House on the Prairie." Especially Michael Landon as "Pa" 🙁. Why the hell did he have long, flowing hair like that?

The only character who I liked sometimes was maybe the guy who ran the store and Nellie Oleson.

When "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman" came along, that was more like what I imagined "Little House" should have been like. Even though there were tons of long, flowing hair from men and women alike.

by Anonymousreply 39March 26, 2020 7:40 AM

MASH was ok in the beginning with Col. Potter. Like many shows it went to shit and became an Alan Alda vanity piece.

by Anonymousreply 40March 26, 2020 12:43 PM

Mr Rogers Neighborhood. I remember telling my mom how I thought he was a pedophile. I was like 5 yrs old at the time.

Mmmmmm Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 26, 2020 1:39 PM

The Andy Griffith Show

by Anonymousreply 42March 26, 2020 1:43 PM

I loved bob newhart and loved Barney Miller

by Anonymousreply 43March 26, 2020 1:52 PM

Laugh-In. Couldn't stand it; never thought it was funny.

SO glad to see MASH appearing here. Self-congratulatory bullshit, and Alan Alda always has repulsed me.

by Anonymousreply 44March 26, 2020 2:31 PM

Sanford & Son

Mayberry RFD

McHale's Navy

The Man from U N C L E

Get Smart (I'm probably in the minority with this one)

Mr. Ed

by Anonymousreply 45March 26, 2020 2:39 PM

South Park because it’s tired.

by Anonymousreply 46March 26, 2020 4:04 PM

They say people from sensitive, loving families were sensitive to Mr. Rogers and appreciated it more.

People from more aggressive , insensitive families thought Mr. Rogers was boring weirdo.

by Anonymousreply 47March 26, 2020 6:10 PM

Mr. Rogers cared.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48March 26, 2020 6:13 PM

Here's he speech that secured the funding for his show.

He simply cared about children. No incidents have ever been reported.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49March 26, 2020 6:15 PM

DATE WITH DEL .

by Anonymousreply 50March 26, 2020 7:33 PM

Mr Rogers was boring. I stabbed my mom in the back with a butcher knife when I was 3 years old.

by Anonymousreply 51March 26, 2020 8:49 PM

Dallas

by Anonymousreply 52March 27, 2020 12:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!