Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Indoor Atriums

My realtor looked at me like I was insane when I requested a home with an atrium.

Was this a 70s trend? Why are they not popular today?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49March 9, 2020 7:53 AM

I'd settle for a small one like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 8, 2020 2:52 AM

I think that was a Southern California thing. Are you in Southern California?

by Anonymousreply 2March 8, 2020 2:56 AM

I love them

by Anonymousreply 3March 8, 2020 2:57 AM

Get a backyard, much better.

by Anonymousreply 4March 8, 2020 2:59 AM

Nope. No where near Cali.

You can have a backyard and an atrium.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 8, 2020 3:00 AM

There is a fabulous atrium in that movie When a Stranger Calls. Loved it.

by Anonymousreply 6March 8, 2020 3:01 AM

Yes! They even have a koi pond. Love that design. The movie, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 7March 8, 2020 3:03 AM

I like them in theory - but whenever I see a house with them, it just seems like it doesn’t work. Nicer in concept than reality.

by Anonymousreply 8March 8, 2020 3:09 AM

Seems like you’d get bugs.

by Anonymousreply 9March 8, 2020 3:13 AM

I'm sure there are ways to control pests.

by Anonymousreply 10March 8, 2020 3:16 AM

There are Eichler homes built in the Bay Area and in the San Fernando Valley, primarily in Granada Hills, where the main feature are front courtyards or atriums encircled by sliding glass doors that lead to main parts of the house. As a kid, I'd always wanted to live in one of those because I thought they were so cool.

I recently read thought that a lot of these atriums have been concretized and turned into additional rooms to accomodate extended families or renters. Sad, but that's what happens when housing costs are so high.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 8, 2020 3:24 AM

/though

by Anonymousreply 12March 8, 2020 3:25 AM

I like the indoor atrium in that Greencard movie.

by Anonymousreply 13March 8, 2020 3:32 AM

I was once in a doctor's waiting room leafing through one of those celebrity gossip rags (Us Weekly? People? Don't remember), and there was an interview with Taylor Swift that mentioned her having an indoor atrium with a koi pond inside her NYC high-rise.

Not sure if there are any pics of it on the web, but it sounded fabulous.

I don't give a shit about TS or her music, but I must admit that she has some pretty good eclectic taste in homes and interiors for someone her age.

by Anonymousreply 14March 8, 2020 4:03 AM

they looked at you like you were insane because there are probably a few thousand homes existing in this country with a feature like that.

find a single story ranch with an interior room and install a big skylight.

by Anonymousreply 15March 8, 2020 4:24 AM

Indoor atrium is still popular in India. My parents have one in their house along with a huge garden separately. They are also thinking about a koi pond but they live with a huge dog who would most certainly try to attack the fish. Let's see what they decide.

by Anonymousreply 16March 8, 2020 4:36 AM

The atrium is making a comeback. People are bored with the same old floor plans.

by Anonymousreply 17March 8, 2020 7:21 AM

Eichler houses often have atriums. They look amazing.

by Anonymousreply 18March 8, 2020 7:26 AM

I really love the idea of an atrium, as in Moroccan houses, so beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 8, 2020 7:33 AM

R19, that’s not an atrium — that’s a courtyard

by Anonymousreply 20March 8, 2020 7:45 AM

You can't just take a room in a ranch house and add a skylight to make an atrium.

by Anonymousreply 21March 8, 2020 7:51 AM

R20. Semantics....it’s very much an atrium, a central room, open to the sky, with other rooms opening off of it.

by Anonymousreply 22March 8, 2020 7:54 AM

There was a builder in Oregon who built homes with an atrium. I've been in a few and liked the layout. They are called Rummer Homes, named after the builder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 8, 2020 8:09 AM

Get some plants and cut a hole in your ceiling. You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 24March 8, 2020 8:12 AM

Atrium!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 8, 2020 8:56 AM

I’d rather have a lanai, obvio.

by Anonymousreply 26March 8, 2020 10:31 AM

My cat Floyd would love an atrium.

by Anonymousreply 27March 8, 2020 10:46 AM

Looks like our best bet is going to be an Eichler home. Thanks for the recommendation. Will post updates of what we end up with. So excited!

by Anonymousreply 28March 8, 2020 8:06 PM

It was a fad in commercial buildings in the 70s. Houses, not so much--I can't even recall seeing one in southern California or Florida.. Having a sunroom with a lot of plants has been a thing in northern climates for ages.

by Anonymousreply 29March 8, 2020 8:23 PM

My mom's best friend - and her son, my best friend - lived in a 70's modern house with an atrium. In fact, the mom still does to this day. I thought it was incredibly cool at the time. Someone mentioned upthread though, that they often don't quite look great and are better 'in theory'. I tend to agree. I think having an atrium essentially means having a Japanese-style garden, even if the actual design style isn't Japanese. It means you'll be spending a lot of time keeping it looking absolutely pristine, which is the only way an atrium looks good.

by Anonymousreply 30March 8, 2020 8:39 PM

My reading comprehension is slipping. I still don't understand the difference between courtyard and atrium. Either way, I love them. It's a nice retreat.

by Anonymousreply 31March 8, 2020 8:54 PM

Those Eichler houses look great.

by Anonymousreply 32March 8, 2020 9:04 PM

They are a maintenance nightmare, water and sun damage. Plus, no one uses it because either too hot or too cold, or you are fucking getting rained on. Get a backyard.

by Anonymousreply 33March 8, 2020 9:08 PM

r19, stunning

by Anonymousreply 34March 8, 2020 9:10 PM

I liked the one in the original Parent Trap

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 8, 2020 9:16 PM

i can be in a room like r19 and feel completely at ease.

by Anonymousreply 36March 8, 2020 9:23 PM

I like indoor courtyards where at least one side is a wall with a gate like the haciendas of yore. I do not like smaller atrium like in R1's photo. There are some in older homes in San Francisco where I grew up, the homes with above-ground basements below and living areas above. I remember them as being inadequately kept and often damp and moldy. Maybe people are more creative with them today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37March 8, 2020 9:39 PM

How about a riad?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 8, 2020 9:41 PM

I prefer Orangeries myself, if have enough space and still have a decent amount of garden left.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39March 8, 2020 10:02 PM

When I was a kid, my relatives owned a huge Victorian mansion that had a conservatory. Now, I have an enclosed sun porch on the front of my tiny suburban house, and that fills the same role.

by Anonymousreply 40March 8, 2020 10:48 PM

Op your signed name made me laugh out loud.

R11 that house is fantastic.

It has always been my goal to own a house that would support some kind of water feature in it (a pond, fountain or stream running through it. It would cause mold but it would be so cool.

by Anonymousreply 41March 9, 2020 1:51 AM

R13 was just about to post that same thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42March 9, 2020 2:45 AM

she did not have a really job, and labored in that garden full time. I am telling you, an atrium, is a maintenance nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 43March 9, 2020 5:40 AM

Make your Midwest dreams come true!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 9, 2020 5:50 AM

Indoor plants are creepy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45March 9, 2020 5:56 AM

OP, have you ever visited the Hyatt hotel in Greenwich, Connecticut? It has a huge atrium where you feel like you're really walking outdoors in a park.

by Anonymousreply 46March 9, 2020 7:12 AM

I went to a public high school in California during the late 70's that had a tiny Atrim where all the teachers were located. Just big enough for a bench and some plants open to the sky but it was so small it was like why bother?

by Anonymousreply 47March 9, 2020 7:47 AM

Why, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 48March 9, 2020 7:51 AM

Does a reflecting pond in your entrance count? I always wanted something like this when I was a child.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49March 9, 2020 7:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!