Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hidden Figures: Katherine Johnson is DEAD TO ME!

At age 101.

Was the central character in the Hidden Figures book and film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 25, 2020 1:50 AM

Played by Taraji P Henson in the film.

(Probably the best thing Taraji has ever done)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 24, 2020 4:15 PM

Watched it on a flight - moderately entertaining although I would have thought both the racism and sexism would have been a lot worse than it was depicted.

I wonder whether both were softened to make the movie more palatable to audiences and make it more of a feel good movie.

by Anonymousreply 2February 24, 2020 4:24 PM

So young. However, her character was merely a supporting player in Hidden Figures. Kirsten Dunst was the true star who stepped aside to make way for Octavia Spencer’s nomination.

by Anonymousreply 3February 24, 2020 4:24 PM

So glad Ms. Johnson lived to see her extraordinary story and accomplishments brought to worldwide attention.

Rest In Peace.

by Anonymousreply 4February 24, 2020 4:25 PM

John Glenn was kind of a hot piece of ass back in the day

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 24, 2020 4:34 PM

Awww. Poor R2 didn't get his rape and whipping fulfillment from "Hidden Figures."

by Anonymousreply 6February 24, 2020 4:35 PM

[quote]Awww. Poor [R2] didn't get his rape and whipping fulfillment from "Hidden Figures."

You're an idiot.

Racism and sexism in mathematics and engineering are problems today. This is the pre-civil rights era AND pre-women's movement. How stupid do you have to be to think that these women would have been welcome with open arms by white men at the most elite levels of those fields at the time.

by Anonymousreply 7February 24, 2020 4:39 PM

I remember them saying the whole scene with Costner bashing the bathroom sign was not real. I think they both exaggerated how far she had to go, but also didn't exaggerate that there were separate facilities.

by Anonymousreply 8February 24, 2020 4:47 PM

BFD. She only did, like, math. Did she win the NAACP Image Award, like I did? And I'm only 8, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 9February 24, 2020 5:19 PM

LOL at r9.

And what r4 said. She gave something to the world and was recognized for it. That’s pretty sweet. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 10February 24, 2020 6:16 PM

R7 - Back off, as you have no idea of the lives some here have lived and the barriers we tore down during the struggle. I wish you could be half as stupid as you perceive me to be. Your juvenile inappropriate name-calling has attempted to ruin yet another thread for which it is neither the time nor place. But not today.

Today is to reflect upon the life and legacy of Katherine Johnson who paved the way so that students like I would find it a bit easier to do our part during the Civil Rights Era. A good day.

by Anonymousreply 11February 24, 2020 6:34 PM

What was on her Victrola?

by Anonymousreply 12February 24, 2020 6:37 PM

[quote]Awww. Poor [R2] didn't get his rape and whipping fulfillment from "Hidden Figures."

LOL - r6/r11

YOU are the one who started it with your callous and disgusting assertion about my motives.

Whereas I suggested that the movie might have made made light of her struggles and enormous accomplishments in a era before it was conceivable for a black woman to excel in that field.

You show great disrespect for how difficult it must have been for her by suggesting only overt whipping and rape were obstacles, not I.

by Anonymousreply 13February 24, 2020 8:28 PM

Please focus on the subject of the post, not whatever PMS you fat whores are experiencing today.

by Anonymousreply 14February 24, 2020 8:36 PM

101?

So young.

by Anonymousreply 15February 24, 2020 11:53 PM

She died at a prime number age. How appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 16February 25, 2020 1:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!