Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Edie McClurg

You have to give Edie McClurg credit for stealing every one of her scenes in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" with so many charismatic actors young enough to be her kids in the cast.

She's definitely one of the greatest and most memorable characters actors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36February 24, 2020 3:10 AM

I think a couple of posters have mentioned interacting with her in real life, and say she's also a doll.

by Anonymousreply 1February 22, 2020 10:07 PM

She went by Phil Hartman's house not long after it was reported he was murdered, and was shown on local LA news that day. They were friends from the Groundlings and she went by because she couldn't believe. it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 22, 2020 10:09 PM

always memorable, always hilarious in everything.... loved her stint as the crazy bingo lady in a early episode of "roseanne" in it's first incarnation!..

by Anonymousreply 3February 22, 2020 10:14 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 22, 2020 10:22 PM

No, we don’t have to give you credit or attention for namedropping, Aspie Irrelevant Pop Cataloguer.

by Anonymousreply 5February 22, 2020 10:24 PM

Some poster here swears she’s a cunt in real life which always disappoints me because I love her. Unfortunately her family claims she has dementia and is being taken advantage of by a younger male companion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6February 22, 2020 10:28 PM

Herb Tarlek's wife on WKRP in Cincinnati

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 22, 2020 10:30 PM

Herb Tarlek's wife on WKRP in Cincinnati

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 22, 2020 10:30 PM

She should have played Jan in Grease.

by Anonymousreply 9February 22, 2020 10:31 PM

I have a friend from college who I visit whenever I go back to the states, and follow her on FB as well. She has a mother living with dementia and is the primary caregiver out of her and her two sisters. I only met the mother once and stayed for the weekend. She was a delightful woman when she had all her senses. My friend just posted about her (she doesn’t often) and it reminded me of what an extraordinary person my friend is. Dementia is nasty.

I always enjoyed the work of Edie McClurg. I’ve met so many women like the characters she plays and I love to see them represented.

by Anonymousreply 10February 22, 2020 10:38 PM

Someone I know said that she was an absolute bitch to her when she tried to give her a compliment but I met Edie in a workshop setting and she couldn't have been nicer. She might just not like other women. Sadly, I think Edie is suffering dementia herself. She really has given some terrific performances over the years.

by Anonymousreply 11February 22, 2020 11:32 PM

She's still doing conventions, so she must still be in the earlier stages of dementia.

I've never gotten why some celebrities families have them do conventions when they're mentally and/or physically struggling. Sadly, it doesn't seem uncommon.

by Anonymousreply 12February 22, 2020 11:46 PM

Comments from people on The Hollywood Show Facebook page where Edie did a signing last summer, after someone asked if the TMZ reports of her having dementia was true.

[quote]unfortunately yes. She was not able to personalize anything only her name. She was still so sweet and kind to everyone. Very cheerful

[quote]Yes, I met her there too and got an autograph, but yeah, she definitely seemed confused. Poor thing. I had heard that too, that's why I made sure to get her now.

by Anonymousreply 13February 22, 2020 11:59 PM

R6, the grifter is probably the DLer claiming she’s a cunt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14February 23, 2020 12:06 AM

She's another one who lies about her age though. For years 1951 was listed as her year of birth. Wikipedia is now updated to 1945, but it could be even earlier than that. She appears in University of Kansas yearbooks published in 1963, which are available on Ancestry.com

by Anonymousreply 15February 23, 2020 12:41 AM

Sorry, University of Missouri. Trump and I had the same Geography teacher.

by Anonymousreply 16February 23, 2020 12:42 AM

She was only 5 years older than Matthew Broderick in FBDO.

by Anonymousreply 17February 23, 2020 12:55 AM

She’s nearly 17 years older than Broderick.

by Anonymousreply 18February 23, 2020 1:07 AM

She's in Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 19February 23, 2020 1:12 AM

Whenever I read about famous movie lines, I can't believe she's not NUMBER 1: Regarding Ferris to the principal: "He's a righteous dude." PLUS, that pencil in her hair! God almighty. I was a secretary for years and she was my idol!!

by Anonymousreply 20February 23, 2020 1:13 AM

The way she ran from phone to phone to principal while Jeffrey Jones thought he was blowing off Ferris on his phone. OMG. My description does not do justice to her performance. She had little screen time but ate up what she had. GREAT talent.

by Anonymousreply 21February 23, 2020 1:16 AM

R15 Public records say 1945. The Kansas City Star newspaper article from 1979 (linked below) said she graduated from high school in 1962, so 1945 is probably correct.

by Anonymousreply 22February 23, 2020 1:25 AM

Whoops. Here's the newspaper article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 23, 2020 1:26 AM

Wasn’t there a Simpson’s character with a very similar name?

by Anonymousreply 24February 23, 2020 1:43 AM

Immortality achieved with Cheech & Chong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 23, 2020 2:05 AM

Never forget her portrayal of Chastity Pariah in [italic]Elvira, Mistress of the Dark[/italic].

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 23, 2020 2:15 AM

Her role as the St Louis rental car rep in Planes, Trains and Automobiles was one of her best, when she tells Steve Martin, “Now you’re really fucked!”

by Anonymousreply 27February 23, 2020 2:23 AM

Pussycat 2

by Anonymousreply 28February 23, 2020 2:31 AM

I always enjoyed EM and was surprised when a poster from a few years ago said he had negative experiences with her (he was her partner on Password) as well as Teri Garr, another of my favorites. I think the poster worked with Herbert Ross, and he had interesting stories about “Steel Magnolias” and other Herbert Ross movies. I wish I could remember his name. Those were great threads.

by Anonymousreply 29February 23, 2020 3:04 AM

Found one old thread. He used the moniker “HRT,” Herbert Ross Troll. If you search the page, I believe EM is mentioned.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 23, 2020 3:08 AM

She should have been a cast member on Saturday Night Live. She personalized her characters on WKRP and Ferris Bueller, which are similar, and would have made a great recurring skit.

by Anonymousreply 31February 23, 2020 3:46 AM

[quote]PLUS, that pencil in her hair!

She needed to have it at the ready in case she had to make a phone call.

by Anonymousreply 32February 23, 2020 11:10 PM

She was even great on that Golden Girls episode and she had a 5 episode stint on Melrose Place during season 5 as a frauish woman who fell in Sydney's clothes store and sued and faked her injuries, there was some hilarious physical comedy between Edie and Laura Leighton (Sydney) on Melrose Place, which was odd for that show, being a steamy nighttime soap opera and all

by Anonymousreply 33February 23, 2020 11:17 PM

Harriet’s mother on Small Wonder!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34February 23, 2020 11:26 PM

Oh gee, Marie - you’re a stitch!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 23, 2020 11:37 PM

You're forgetting one of her longest gigs: Patty Poole!

by Anonymousreply 36February 24, 2020 3:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!