Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Liqueurs

Does anyone on DL like them? What are your favorite kinds and brands?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46February 23, 2020 3:05 AM

Bailey's

by Anonymousreply 1February 21, 2020 11:48 PM

Sometimes, out of the blue, I’ll put on a wig & sip some Grand Marnier. And then I’ll either start speaking French or talking like William Buckley!

by Anonymousreply 2February 21, 2020 11:51 PM

I don't drink anymore, but Sambuca used to be my cold/sinus medicine.

by Anonymousreply 3February 21, 2020 11:51 PM

I don't drink anymore either. But peppermint schnapps was a favorite. Does that count?

by Anonymousreply 4February 21, 2020 11:52 PM

Gran Marnier. I also put a dash of it in Amaretto (another favorite). Baileys is good too. I also like Chambord. But really, Gran Marnier is the best.

by Anonymousreply 5February 21, 2020 11:54 PM

Please excuse my spelling in r5.

by Anonymousreply 6February 21, 2020 11:55 PM

I live in Switzerland and we drink it after heavy meals on the regular. I like bitters, from the Jura to the Alps through to Italy there are a lot. I also like citrus liqueurs on simple, cold, cream-based desserts. Sometimes I put shots in my espresso just for the hell of it. Like strong asian Umami accents - these concentrated little hits of flavor help to readjust the mind and mood.

by Anonymousreply 7February 22, 2020 12:02 AM

Hpnotiq; The stuff is outstanding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 22, 2020 12:04 AM

Im really loving Amaro Nonino. It’s an Eye-talian bitters that’s good on its own, or adds a pizazz to a plain ol’ Old Fashioned

by Anonymousreply 9February 22, 2020 12:12 AM

I hate them. Any sugar in my alcohol makes me sick. Beer or vodka are the only things I like.

by Anonymousreply 10February 22, 2020 12:26 AM

R8 Is that you, Aunt Sandy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 22, 2020 12:27 AM

I drink JACK you schnapps pussies.

by Anonymousreply 12February 22, 2020 12:58 AM

Tia Maria

by Anonymousreply 13February 22, 2020 1:01 AM

Campari, Chambord, Midori, Amaretto, Frangelico, Limoncello.

Fernet Branca for when I overeat and have indigestion.

by Anonymousreply 14February 22, 2020 1:05 AM

R8, what is the flavor?

R9, what is the DL eye-talian thing about? Please explain.

by Anonymousreply 15February 22, 2020 1:51 AM

Ya think?

by Anonymousreply 16February 22, 2020 1:54 AM

Sambuca

Anisette

Amaretto

by Anonymousreply 17February 22, 2020 2:02 AM

grappa

by Anonymousreply 18February 22, 2020 2:03 AM

Disaronno Originale Amaretto

by Anonymousreply 19February 22, 2020 2:11 AM

Drambuie (neat). Amaretto (neat or with sour mix).

by Anonymousreply 20February 22, 2020 2:15 AM

I love Irish Cream. SO decadent!

by Anonymousreply 21February 22, 2020 2:18 AM

Kahlua in my coffee to start the day.

by Anonymousreply 22February 22, 2020 2:23 AM

Pastis

by Anonymousreply 23February 22, 2020 2:29 AM

I just bought a bar cart and I'm working on filling it up, what are the basic 1/2 dozen or so liqueurs I should stock it with?

by Anonymousreply 24February 22, 2020 2:35 AM

A basic bar should have Vodka, Gin, Whisky (Jack Daniel's is the most popular), Tequila, Brandy and Rum. There are thousands of varieties, but those are kind of the basics. You might invest in some high quality Luxardo Cherries. Not the florescent pick shit you get at cheap dive bars.

by Anonymousreply 25February 22, 2020 7:59 AM

Tried B&B for the first time. Very nice flavor. A sipper. Neat, with whiskey stones. I'm not a mixed-drink cocktail drinker, so this is a great option. (Haven't tried straight Benedictine yet.)

by Anonymousreply 26February 22, 2020 10:26 AM

Yes, thanks R25 - I have the liquor basics. I was specifically asking for advice on a half-dozen or so common liqueurs to supplement. When I have people over (specifically, gays) what are they likely to ask for? Basic liquor + mixer (tonic, soda, cola, juice) I've got covered.

Thanks, guys.

by Anonymousreply 27February 22, 2020 1:22 PM

Hot chocolate with a shot of Amaretto. And/or Bailey's

by Anonymousreply 28February 22, 2020 4:44 PM

r27, I've never heard of anyone specifically requesting a liqueur from a host at a private residence. usually the host offers them based on his own preferences.

According to this website, the most popular liqueurs are Amaretto, Bailey's Irish Cream, Campari, Cointreau, Frangelico, Kahlua, St. Germain, and Sambuca. That's a great list of things to have on hand. Also, if you favor a certain ethnic kind of cooking, you could also offer with a meal you prepare the liqueur often favored by that part of the world: Italians often enjoy limoncello after their meals, for example, and Scandinavians enjoy aquavit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29February 22, 2020 5:24 PM

The Smith restaurant chain in NY, DC, and Chicago has a really great Manhattan. The bartender told me they add an eighth of a teaspoon of walnut liqueur. I still haven’t picked any up for home, but that drink is delicious.

by Anonymousreply 30February 22, 2020 5:36 PM

Someone gave me a box of these for Christmas: an assortment of liqueurs in chocolate bottles. I find them quite delightful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 22, 2020 5:42 PM

R31, you type drunk AND fat.

by Anonymousreply 32February 22, 2020 5:44 PM

Campari.

by Anonymousreply 33February 22, 2020 5:48 PM

Bailey’s doesn't deserve to be called a liqueur. It’s a cocktail in a bottle.

by Anonymousreply 34February 22, 2020 5:51 PM

And God created cassis ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 22, 2020 5:57 PM

Campari and orange juice is a really good sweet-and-astringent combination.

by Anonymousreply 36February 22, 2020 6:04 PM

Straight Benedictine with a club soda chaser.

Highly recommended.

by Anonymousreply 37February 22, 2020 6:15 PM

R26 Nice... Benedictine on its own is lovely, though quite strong has a unique bouquet or nose. To me, it smells like wood after getting wet after a summer rain. It provides a most unusual buzz as well. I love most of the choices here, and I cook with many of them sometimes. Straight Grand Marnier or Amaretto I find a bit too sweet for my taste, so I cut both with plain Brandy or Cognac.

I always add Grand Marnier or Cointreau to my Orange Passover cake, French Toast, and a giant splash of Chambord to Bluberry and Cherry pies. I add the Chambord to Raspberry sorbet I make in my Cuisinart, and it's delicious over vanilla ice cream as well. Bailey's and Irish Cream go nicely over ice-cream, especially chocolate and fudgey varieties.

by Anonymousreply 38February 22, 2020 6:31 PM

Midori! We used to put a shot of it in our Zima's back in the day. Freaking delicious!

by Anonymousreply 39February 22, 2020 7:47 PM

R39 Pairs rather well with Gin, you should give it a try! Grapefruit juice, shot of Gin, and a shot of Midori. It sounds as if it would be wrong, but it's surprisingly good. Great with Pineapple juice and White Rum too.

by Anonymousreply 40February 22, 2020 7:52 PM

R31 I'm rather keen on those too. They make great gifts for those of us who appreciate booze/liqueurs

by Anonymousreply 41February 22, 2020 8:02 PM

[quote]Midori! We used to put a shot of it in our Zimas back in the day. Freaking delicious!

Bahaha, I can't think of anything more 90s than this.

by Anonymousreply 42February 22, 2020 8:30 PM

[quote] I just bought a bar cart and I'm working on filling it up, what are the basic 1/2 dozen or so liqueurs I should stock it with?

Campari: good mixed with soda or a citrus juice, e.g., grapefruit. Not sweet.

Angostura bitters: not sure if this is a liqueur, but it's useful mixed with soda or to make Champagne cocktails. Not sweet.

Benedictine: I love B&B (Benedictine & brandy). Some people might hate it as it is thick, sweet, and syrupy. I'm assuming you already have brandy and can mix your own drink rather than buying the pre-made B&B. Drambuie, IMO, is along the lines of Benedictine. (You can make a Rusty Nail with Drambuie & Scotch to cut the sweetness.)

Grand Marnier or Cointreau: I don't really like either of these, but other people like to use these orange liqueurs to make "premium" margaritas. IMO, a margarita doesn't need this extra liqueur.

Chambord: I don't really like this that much, but it comes in a cool-looking bottle. I think the new bottle is not as fancy-looking. Tastes like a purple Tootsie Pop (lollipop candy). Used in Champagne cocktails or mixed in soda. The color of the liqueur is not really pretty when it's mixed down.

Midori: I actually do like the taste of this. Good in frozen drinks, like a blended Midori daiquiri. Just a fun liqueur. Bright green as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43February 22, 2020 8:55 PM

Liqueurs you can mix with coffee: amaretto & Kahlua.

Licorice or black-jelly-bean liqueurs: I don't like the taste, but they're a classic flavor. E.g., Romana Sambuca. Not sure about Romana Sambuca, but these licorice liqueurs tend to turn white & cloudy after you add ice/water. Kind of a cool effect.

Pimm's might also be something you'd like to try.

by Anonymousreply 44February 22, 2020 9:04 PM

R43 You have some interesting thoughts and remarks there. Funny, I have never perceived a "Tootsie-Pop" flavour, or chocolate undernote to Chambord. To me, it's more a mélange of Raspberry, Cassis, and a vague perfume like undernote, almost akin to violets, yet quite hard for me to describe otherwise.

I don't think you're crazy, or wrong to share with us it tastes so to you. I recently told a friend Coca-Cola with sugar has a Ju-Ju-Bees undernote to me. He laughed, and asked me if I was high! I find it not only interesting and helpful when people make such comparisons, but even if I disagree, I respect the creativity in such descriptions.

by Anonymousreply 45February 22, 2020 9:25 PM

Chambord + Frangelico = Peanut Butter and Jelly cocktail. Not exactly, but close enough for jazz.

by Anonymousreply 46February 23, 2020 3:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!