Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let's discuss the other cities of Washington state

You only ever hear about Seattle.

What about Tacoma, Olympia, Bellingham, etc.? Do you have other favorite parts of the state?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60February 16, 2020 12:54 PM

Tacoma has a gentrified downtown (sort of), but it's a facade behind which the place ranges from boring to ghetto.

by Anonymousreply 1February 12, 2020 6:14 PM

Kurt Cobain thought Aberdeen was no great shakes.

by Anonymousreply 2February 12, 2020 6:16 PM

Leavenworth is a charming Bavarian apple-growing community in the Cascades. It's much warmer and drier there. Fun to visit.

by Anonymousreply 3February 12, 2020 6:21 PM

I’m going Lilac Parade.

by Anonymousreply 4February 12, 2020 6:26 PM

OP is either EXTREMELY bored or he's from the Washington State Chamber of Commerce

by Anonymousreply 5February 12, 2020 6:28 PM

Port Townsend was nice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6February 12, 2020 6:31 PM

Vancouver (Washington, not British Columbia) is great because it's across the river from Portland. Washington has no state income tax and Oregon has no sales tax.

Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 7February 12, 2020 6:37 PM

I have a cabin in the San Juan islands. It’s the most beautiful part of North America, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 8February 12, 2020 6:40 PM

Really nice meth. Some of the best you can find.

by Anonymousreply 9February 12, 2020 6:43 PM

I'm all about Ellensburg!

by Anonymousreply 10February 12, 2020 6:47 PM

In OP's picture, I lived in the dorm which is the tallest and largest building in this picture (middle left side )in 1980 at Western Washington U. It was a dying logging and paper mill town but I understand it has undergone a bit of a renaissance. Had a nice sleazy gay bar back then called "The Hut". I met some luscious local men there such as loggers and park rangers,etc.

by Anonymousreply 11February 12, 2020 6:59 PM

Port Angeles has some excellent hiking at Hurricane Ridge.

by Anonymousreply 12February 12, 2020 11:45 PM

Bellingham is very pretty.

by Anonymousreply 13February 13, 2020 4:00 AM

Not a city, but I love Orcas Island.

by Anonymousreply 14February 13, 2020 4:06 AM

They even named a town after one of Roseanne's gay offspring.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 13, 2020 5:07 AM

If you live IN central Seattle proper and also work there, it's unbeatable, especially if you can walk or bike to work. However, if you have to commute into Seattle, you might as well shoot yourself now. Western Washington is densely forested and hilly and the flattest parts, (yet still hilly) are right along Puget Sound, so you have 4 + million people trying to use inadequate freeways that have to curve around mountainsides and cut through forests. Hence lots of fender-benders and inexplicable traffic slowdowns. What by distance should be a 20 minute drive can easily turn into a 2 hour drive when you run into the wrong set of circumstances. On clear days, Western Washington is one of the most scenically beautiful areas of the entire US, with views of snow-capped mountains, enormous nearby volcanoes, water vistas and lovely forests. However, it is cloudy 250 days of the year, with measurable precipitation on 155 of those days, so proportionally you don't get that many days to savor the beauty of the region.

Central Washington is a cold desert with a few months of very hot and sunny weather. No traffic concerns here as the land is flatter and there are no forests - no trees at all in fact. The Tri-Cities are three adjacent town that together have a population of about 250,000 and they make up the biggest urban area of central Washington. There's good economic growth there, but it's the least scenic part of Washington State. A good place to live if you hate rain. Wenatchee is also in this region and more scenic with mountains close by, but it's a bit isolated from the rest of the state.

Eastern Washington is at the foothills to the Rocky Mountains, so it is forested, but not nearly as hilly as western Washington. Much colder in winter, so several long periods of snow on the ground is a given every winter. More dependably warm and sunny summers than western Washington. This is where Spokane is located. Spokane is the second largest city in Washington. It feels somewhat "midwestern" with a more conservative political bent than Western Washington, maybe because it's surrounded by farming country. It has beautiful housing stock, a gorgeous park system, lots of good hiking trails, nearby skiing and water skiing on area lakes, a good symphony and other cultural amenities, and no real traffic woes - about 500,000 in the county, and about 600,000 counting North Idaho 'suburbs" . Vancouver, Washington, across from Portland, has a good climate and less in the way of traffic woes than Seattle, but there's no city center, so it feels like one enormous suburb. You'd have to cross the Columbia River into Portland to have a real urban experience and then you're dealing with horrible traffic again.. Olympia is pretty, but much rainier and colder than Seattle. Tacoma is a gritty industrial city that is only just now starting to get cleaned up. North of Seattle, there is Everett, another industrial town that is slowly cleaning up, and then you have small towns all the way up until you hit Bellingham. Bellingham is quite beautiful, but it feels like a big college town, not exactly like a city.

I guess we need pictures.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 13, 2020 6:56 AM

Tricities.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 13, 2020 7:00 AM

Spokane

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 13, 2020 7:02 AM

Tacoma

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19February 13, 2020 7:06 AM

Wenatchee

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 13, 2020 7:09 AM

R16, great post.

by Anonymousreply 21February 13, 2020 12:44 PM

I always thought the west was far more gorgeous than even the most scenic parts of the east coast. Nothing on the east can really compare to the beauty of California, and PNW.

I've visited Seattle a few times over the last few years and enjoyed it. One thing that suprised me was the people weren't as bad as I heard. Supposedly seattleites are very unfriendly but I just found them to be slightly awkward introverts. Nowhere near as aggressively nasty as DC or to a lesser extent Boston. Granted I was visiting friends and didn't stay very long. Perhaps people who live there have a different experience.

by Anonymousreply 22February 13, 2020 3:12 PM

Forgot to add, loved bainbridge Island . Stunning place. Last time I was there I ate at an amazing French restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 23February 13, 2020 3:17 PM

What area of the state do them apples grow?

by Anonymousreply 24February 14, 2020 12:03 AM

R24, how does you like ‘em?

by Anonymousreply 25February 14, 2020 12:09 AM

R24 I believe Eastern Washington.

by Anonymousreply 26February 14, 2020 12:12 AM

Let’s not please. Way too many people moving here; can’t even get away from them when hiking at odd hours on weekdays. Even late at night at Rainier on a Tuesday during shitty weather. It’s disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 27February 14, 2020 12:15 AM

Why is there so little development and population on the south western coast of the state?

by Anonymousreply 28February 14, 2020 12:22 AM

R28, I thought a lot of the southern coast was native reservation?

by Anonymousreply 29February 14, 2020 12:25 AM

R22 that's called the Seattle Freeze. it exists in Portland as well.

you wouldn't encounter it on a normal sightseeing or business trip. you have to live there long-term to experience it. most people have a difficult time making friends if they relocate. they usually only find other transplants to relate to.

people are how i imagine them to be in Scandinavia--extremely polite and solicitous of the rights of others (don't go outside major metros though, incredibly racist). but essentially they will never want to get to know you on a deeper level, no matter how many times you pleasantly converse with them.

by Anonymousreply 30February 14, 2020 12:27 AM

[quote] [R22] that's called the Seattle Freeze. it exists in Portland as well.

It exists at R27 as well!

by Anonymousreply 31February 14, 2020 12:37 AM

[quote]that's called the Seattle Freeze. it exists in Portland as well.

I live in Portland and have not encountered it. I have experienced it in Seattle however.

by Anonymousreply 32February 14, 2020 12:46 AM

Nobody's mentioned Bellevue. It may be fashionable to turn your entitled noses up at it because it's the "Eastside", but Bellevue's well planned, it has traffic lights that respond to movement (unlike Seattle where you sit for fucking ever at 0330 waiting for a fucking green light to turn red so you can proceed through a huge empty intersection). There's also Lake Sammamish, wh. has some great beaches and parks.

by Anonymousreply 33February 14, 2020 12:48 AM

I drove through Aberdeen once and got so depressed I wanted to kill myself there and then. I'm surprised Cobain made it as far as he did.

by Anonymousreply 34February 14, 2020 1:09 AM

Do you live on the Eastside, r33?

by Anonymousreply 35February 14, 2020 3:27 AM

r33 = Ted Bundy

by Anonymousreply 36February 14, 2020 4:30 AM

I like Bellingham

by Anonymousreply 37February 14, 2020 4:40 AM

Bellingham is boring and empty, Bellis Fair Mall has tanked with empty stores for years now.

Spokane is full of very stupid, clueless and uninformed people.

I prefer Lynnwood for all my shopping needs. There’s no nightlife there, but it kicks ass for being able to find everything in a relatively small radius.

by Anonymousreply 38February 14, 2020 5:01 AM

Is it true that Spokane is a meth infested shithole?

by Anonymousreply 39February 14, 2020 5:03 AM

I have snow qualms about Snoqualmie Pass.

by Anonymousreply 40February 14, 2020 5:04 AM

[quote] Is it true that Spokane is a meth infested shithole?

Yes. That and heroin.

by Anonymousreply 41February 14, 2020 5:05 AM

Is heroin still a big problem out there?

by Anonymousreply 42February 15, 2020 11:23 PM

Puget Sound area. So beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 43February 15, 2020 11:25 PM

Seattle guys have Peter Pan syndrome - true Lost Boys. Typical date invitation: "I usually hang around at such-and-such bar on weekdays after around 7. Feel free to stop by and say hi if you want to chat more."

by Anonymousreply 44February 15, 2020 11:36 PM

I stopped by Metaline Falls and had a slice of the best cherry pie I ever tasted and a cup of damn good coffee. Pretty waterfalls and magnificent forests too with plenty of cute little cottages and cabins.

Then this chick with blood-red lipstick hissed "regnagelppod" at me and I rethought my retirement plan.

by Anonymousreply 45February 15, 2020 11:38 PM

Seattle's the only city that feels like a real city. Bellingham's a pretty town. Spokane's kind of bland. Tacoma's kind of the industrial armpit, though it has some interesting things in it--I think the glass museum is down there. Olympia's pretty, but again, small-townish.

Outside of Seattle, Washington's really about the outdoors and small towns. The Puget Sound and the San Juans are gorgeous. Port Townsend's pretty, but it feels like it's struggling to stay afloat as a tourist mecca. The Olympic Peninsula is beautiful and the foggiest, rainiest place I've ever been.

Honestly, when I think of the cities of the Northwest, I think of Seattle, Portland and then Vancouver--the one in Canada. (Victoria's charming too. )

by Anonymousreply 46February 15, 2020 11:59 PM

[quote] Vancouver (Washington, not British Columbia) is great because it's across the river from Portland. Washington has no state income tax and Oregon has no sales tax. Heaven.

I'm interested in this tax haven. Last time I brought it up on DL, somebody mentioned "Vantucky." Why do people say it's some kind of anomalous armpit of WA? I looked it up on Wikipedia and the median income is modest ($41,618 per household), unless it's outdated info. Truck-filled, meth, inter-familial marrying? Is that true? Or are hipsters just being snobby about it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47February 15, 2020 11:59 PM

It’s becoming only for the rich. Same as Idaho and Montana.

by Anonymousreply 48February 16, 2020 12:33 AM

Yes to Bellingham. Hello Miss Zukas.

by Anonymousreply 49February 16, 2020 12:52 AM

R49 - just remember that's Helma NEVER "Helm"!

by Anonymousreply 50February 16, 2020 12:59 AM

Seattle is overrated.

by Anonymousreply 51February 16, 2020 1:33 AM

I never thought I'd think of Puyallup as desirable or convenient until I moved to Spanaway.

by Anonymousreply 52February 16, 2020 2:40 AM

Seattle is overrated but it's miles better than Vancouver.

by Anonymousreply 53February 16, 2020 4:09 AM

I like all the posing towns in Washington. If I want a real city I’ll go to another state. I just don’t find Seattle charming or all that interesting.

by Anonymousreply 54February 16, 2020 4:11 AM

Oops I meant podunk

by Anonymousreply 55February 16, 2020 4:11 AM

R55 No, you were right the first time.

by Anonymousreply 56February 16, 2020 4:15 AM

I have an old friend who moved to Orcas Island. I agree the San Juan Islands are charming and beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 57February 16, 2020 4:18 AM

When I went to school....in Olympiaaaaaaaaaaa

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58February 16, 2020 4:22 AM

[quote] If you live IN central Seattle proper and also work there, it's unbeatable, especially if you can walk or bike to work. However, if you have to commute into Seattle, you might as well shoot yourself now.

[quote] you have 4 + million people trying to use inadequate freeways that have to curve around mountainsides and cut through forests. Hence lots of fender-benders and inexplicable traffic slowdowns. What by distance should be a 20 minute drive can easily turn into a 2 hour drive when you run into the wrong set of circumstances.

Aside from some geographically specific bits, this also has started to describe Denver.

by Anonymousreply 59February 16, 2020 4:26 AM

Seattle isn’t interesting. It’s beautiful but that’s it. The people are weird.

by Anonymousreply 60February 16, 2020 12:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!