Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Toasted Almond Ice Cream Bars

Toasted Almond Ice Cream Bars were available in most stores until the 90s when the prohibition began - and continues to this day.

Do you remember this elusive, rare, unicorn ice cream treat?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 31, 2020 1:12 AM

The old-school version did not have the filling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 30, 2020 9:40 PM

They have them in the convenience store in my building. What "prohibition" are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 2January 30, 2020 9:41 PM

R2 what's your address?

by Anonymousreply 3January 30, 2020 9:43 PM

Chicago, Illinois.

by Anonymousreply 4January 30, 2020 9:44 PM

I think I saw them at Aldi recently. They have the strawberry and chocolate ones I know for sure.

by Anonymousreply 5January 30, 2020 9:50 PM

I’m sure we have them here in New Zealand. It’s called a Golden Gaytime.

by Anonymousreply 6January 30, 2020 9:53 PM

I was about to say yes, of course, I used to buy them from the Good Humor truck when it came through our neighborhood, but then I remembered the one I liked was actually the Chocolate Eclair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 30, 2020 9:54 PM

R6 give it to me

by Anonymousreply 8January 30, 2020 9:57 PM

I liked bars that were toasted almond covered vanilla ice cream with chocolate in the middle, which was even more rare.

by Anonymousreply 9January 30, 2020 10:05 PM

Prohibition? Like the prohibition on the 1920s when they banned alcohol? Did they toss Toasted Almond Ice Cream Bars into the river?

Or into the harbor like the Boston Tea Party?

by Anonymousreply 10January 30, 2020 10:15 PM

r10, the portion of the world almond market previously used in toasted almond ice cream bars were diverted into the production of almond milk.

by Anonymousreply 11January 30, 2020 10:23 PM

You'd think in California - the almond capital of the world - there would be more toasted almond bars and less date shakes.

by Anonymousreply 12January 30, 2020 10:26 PM

You are making me so want one right now. The good old days! Shame on you.

by Anonymousreply 13January 30, 2020 10:29 PM

R10 prohibition is forbidding something, not throwing into a river.

by Anonymousreply 14January 30, 2020 10:41 PM

First they came for the Toasted Almond Bar. Then they came for the foie gras.

by Anonymousreply 15January 31, 2020 12:05 AM

They often had a soft but cardboard-y texture which was not appetizing. Not firm or crunchy. I think it probably was from too much freeze and thaw--cones get that way if they've been hanging around too long.

by Anonymousreply 16January 31, 2020 12:10 AM

Good news OP! You can waddle down to your local Walmart and feast to your heart's content.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 31, 2020 12:19 AM

I seem to recall that the Good Humor man had them on his truck c. 1970?

by Anonymousreply 18January 31, 2020 12:28 AM

I'm with you R7. The Chocolate Eclair were my favorite too. Sadly now anything by Good Humor tastes like plastic. The only commercial ice cream that is even a little good is Häagen-Dazs and even that's not as good as it used to be. Talenti isn't that bad but I miss the richness that egg yolks gives Häagen-Dazs, but Talenti has an organic vanilla that at least isn't made with cream/milk that has antibiotics, hormones and god knows what else.

by Anonymousreply 19January 31, 2020 12:41 AM

Bitch, what are you talking about?

Put your friggin zip code:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 31, 2020 12:52 AM

I see how tricky you are OP, you got everyone to do your searching for you.

by Anonymousreply 21January 31, 2020 1:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!