Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Help Me Advise My Young Niece About Dressing Modestly But Attractively, DL

My niece Michaela has just entered university. She is a lovely, bright, well-mannered young lady.

I'm going to take her shopping next weekend and want to help her stay the course and look modest and ladylike, but still attractive so she can meet nice young men. I despair when I see so many young girls (barely) dressed so inappropriately, so wantonly. No self regard.

She is counting on her gay uncle for help. But it's been a while since I followed fashion avidly, so I may need some assistance. Some of you seem "in the know." What do we think of these dresses, for example? I find the shoes rather tasteless, but otherwise I think these young gals look swell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 19, 2020 11:35 PM

Like this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 19, 2020 5:22 PM

I was thinking this might be a nice outfit for a special "date night." Say, a chamber concert or a fancy dinner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 19, 2020 5:26 PM

I bet the OP's nice has an XY

by Anonymousreply 3January 19, 2020 5:29 PM

Is your niece transitioning? Usually by the time they get to college women have a pretty good idea of how to dress themselves.

by Anonymousreply 4January 19, 2020 5:39 PM

Michaela's parents are both very religious and not really "fashion people." So she's looking to me, her beloved gay uncle, to help her in matters of style.

Are the girls still doing ruffles? I like a ruffle.

by Anonymousreply 5January 19, 2020 5:44 PM

Is her kooter wet?!

by Anonymousreply 6January 19, 2020 5:49 PM

A "dressy" dinner date, or the theater?

I want her to look "modern" but not at all trendy. How I worry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 19, 2020 6:04 PM

Hey, Uncle Lady... How about this for Spring Break?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 19, 2020 6:10 PM

I’m available for a consult OP!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 19, 2020 6:13 PM

I've often admired the way Megan and Kate both dress, R9.

Young women could do worse than emulating their high-end style! On a more limited budget, of course.

by Anonymousreply 10January 19, 2020 6:18 PM

You could always repurpose your old curtains.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 19, 2020 6:26 PM

Just tell her to dress like the other Sister Wives.

by Anonymousreply 12January 19, 2020 6:27 PM

Is this the one ruining herself with tampons?

by Anonymousreply 13January 19, 2020 6:33 PM

Hmmm those young women in the OP's photograph are all dressed like consorts of the Devil!!!

by Anonymousreply 14January 19, 2020 6:35 PM

It would be great if the slut ridden hard and put away wet look would disappear forever. It does them no favors.

by Anonymousreply 15January 19, 2020 6:37 PM

While the neckline is rather daring, I think modest young gentlemen would find this look appealing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 19, 2020 6:49 PM

0/10

by Anonymousreply 17January 19, 2020 6:49 PM

OP, this is a bad bunch to ask the question. Except for Charlie, who has excellent taste in clothing. Not sure how often he's on anymore.

It depends on her body shape for one thing. Even normal weight people have different shapes and one style can look great on some and very unflattering on others. Complexion is another issue as some colors can be very flattering or the opposite. Finally, there is the philosophy on dressing. For example, getting classic pieces and changing accessories within that to update her wardrobe. Will any of these shops have shoppers or advisers the two of you can speak to? If available, maybe you could talk with one ahead of time and then both talk with her at the store. Your niece could end up getting some great tips that would help her shop on her own in the future.

by Anonymousreply 18January 19, 2020 6:50 PM

“Entered University” and “chamber concert”? Are we traveling back to the early 19th century?

by Anonymousreply 19January 19, 2020 6:53 PM

What do gay guys know about what looks good on a woman

by Anonymousreply 20January 19, 2020 7:03 PM

R20 that’s a joke right?

by Anonymousreply 21January 19, 2020 7:05 PM

^Why? Design clothes for men. Lots of great women designers never get a chance because everyone "assumes" gay men are better at it. Bunk. It's why high fashion models all look like twinks. Gay men have no idea how to design for real womens' bodies.

by Anonymousreply 22January 19, 2020 7:11 PM

Rubbish r22, it’s just as hard for a gay man to get a designing job as it for a woman. The woman designers don’t design for fatties or “real women” as you call it. It’s called fashion, it’s supposed to inspire not make you feel better about your poor lifestyle choices.

by Anonymousreply 23January 19, 2020 7:13 PM

Culottes, OP. Very on trend in Mormon circles.

by Anonymousreply 24January 19, 2020 7:15 PM

Some of these ensembles remind me of the frum ladies in the Jewish part of town. Or, they could go Mormon, or, Laura Ashley with special needs.

by Anonymousreply 25January 19, 2020 7:21 PM

R6 not completely wet yet, still just moist

by Anonymousreply 26January 19, 2020 7:22 PM

R8 Oh la la, that is nice.

by Anonymousreply 27January 19, 2020 7:24 PM

Can't you just fall into The Gap?

by Anonymousreply 28January 19, 2020 7:25 PM

No one has mentioned anything about the niece’s name.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 19, 2020 7:30 PM

Probably EST but I’ll bite in case it isn’t.

Uncle, why are you assuming it’s a nice young Man that Michaela is after? Or that she’s after anyone, for that matter?

In any event, plumage required to attract a female is different to that required to attract a male (saying nothing of what sort of person the intended might be). Have you ever asked her what she’s interested in socially & romantically? If she’s coming to you specifically for advice as a gay relative I would first assume it has to do with more than just clothes.

That said I do think it’s admirable of you to help. I was packed off to College by a straight blue-collar deplorable family dressed in frumpy oversize clothes that did me no favors, and it held me back socially (as did depression). I like the suggestion of going to personal shoppers, and add that you could look in on an established seamstress as well.

by Anonymousreply 30January 19, 2020 8:14 PM

R18 doesn't recognize trolling

by Anonymousreply 31January 19, 2020 8:17 PM

My frum orthodox relatives love this online store.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 19, 2020 8:39 PM

I do recognize trolling, R31 (looking at you). I choose to believe this man. Who with a heart wouldn't want to rescue a young family member from her religious upbringing?

by Anonymousreply 33January 19, 2020 9:06 PM

When did the nephew troll turn into a niece troll?

by Anonymousreply 34January 19, 2020 9:08 PM

I am also a gay uncle to 4 nieces, OP. When each one went to college and asked me to shop with them I just made of one thing: No matter what the "outer wear" a tasteful selection of crotchless panties was totally indispensable.

So, be sure to take her to your local Adam & Steve.

by Anonymousreply 35January 19, 2020 9:35 PM

^^ "made sure"

Sorry

by Anonymousreply 36January 19, 2020 9:36 PM

Clearly an EST. The wheels fell off at the super religious parents who, in real life, would never let their daughter be alone with her fruit uncle and in all likelihood would have severed ties years ago upon his coming out as a big fruit and obvious bottom.

by Anonymousreply 37January 19, 2020 9:50 PM

Disagree, R37. Plus, how do the parents even know he is taking her shopping?

by Anonymousreply 38January 19, 2020 10:08 PM

OP, as a DL reader you should know there's no such thing as a nice young man. They're all conniving horndogs who will do anything to defile your niece's purity. Anyway, overeducating her will ruin her marriage prospects. My advice is to fix her up with a friend or ex-lover who's looking for a beard and can keep her on a short leash. Do you know that even women who've been raised abstinence-only can turn into raging cock jockeys if they're exposed to non-procreative sex even within marriage? Queen Victoria herself killed Albert by riding him too hard.

by Anonymousreply 39January 19, 2020 10:14 PM

My niece went off to college and she dresses LIKE A HARLOT!

but what dan I say?

by Anonymousreply 40January 19, 2020 10:17 PM

2/10 for naming the niece “Michaela”.

Also, this thread needs a theme song:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 19, 2020 10:33 PM

I live in a college town, and FYI this is what all the college girls wear whenever the temperature is above 60.

Slutty? Dull? Both?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42January 19, 2020 10:34 PM

In the extreme unlikelihood that this is legit, I'll offer this to the OP - take your niece and your credit card to an upscale department or clothing store and put yourself in the hands of one of their personal shoppers.

by Anonymousreply 43January 19, 2020 10:50 PM

It's not slutty. She doesn't need shopping for it, though. But she may want something better for a date. And she may need something nice for events as well.

by Anonymousreply 44January 19, 2020 10:50 PM

I would suggest turning the TV on and look for when HSN and QVC will have segments on young women's fashion. Why waste all that time running around to stores when you can sit on the couch with a big plate of nachos and shop in the comfort of your own home? And if your concerned about modesty, they will teach you how to use layering to your advantage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 19, 2020 11:03 PM

In the unlikely event that this is not an EST and OP is in the New York area, go to the Mademoiselle LaFleur show room by Bryant Park. You can drink her Prosecco while she tries on outfits handpicked for her that will transition well from college to work. The cookies are really good too. I assume you are paying?

by Anonymousreply 46January 19, 2020 11:15 PM

Don’t worry, Darling, you can’t rape a townie

by Anonymousreply 47January 19, 2020 11:15 PM

My niece dressed like a whore at her grandfather’s, my father’s, funeral. It will stick with me forever. If it wasn’t a funeral service, she might have been thrown out.

by Anonymousreply 48January 19, 2020 11:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!