Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

My husband is at work, "An American Tragedy", hunk of the past.

I report to work Monday through Friday at six in the morning. My husband is a chef and runs several restaurants so he normally doesn't get home till 2 or so in the morning. We see each other very little during the week so I try my best to stay up on Saturday nights so he can at least walk into our house after work and not find me comatose in the bed. While waiting, I am watching an old movie, "An American Tragedy", later remade as the most excellent Liz Taylor flick, "A Place in the Sun". This version is not so good but my gosh, the male lead is hunk-o-rama. His name is Phillips Holmes. I had never heard of him before watching this movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 19, 2020 7:23 AM

That is a hunk???

by Anonymousreply 1January 19, 2020 5:46 AM

OP, if you were Anne Frank I’d be the uncle who gave you the drum set for Hanukkah.

by Anonymousreply 2January 19, 2020 5:56 AM

Phillips had a brother, Ralph "Rafe", who was also an actor. Both the Holmes boys died young -- not in combat - but related to World War 2. Phillips died at 35, and Rafe died at 30.

[quote] With WWII now a harsh reality, both brothers enlisted in the Royal Canadian Air Force toward the end of 1941. While Ralph became a pilot officer, Phillips attended the Air Ground School at Winnipeg. Following graduation, Phillips and six of his aircraftsmen classmates were transferred, but the plane carrying the men en route to their new destination (Ottawa) collided with another in Ontario killing all aboard.

[quote] Rafe allegedly suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder from his war experiences, which exacerbated his chronic depression and alcoholism. After returning from the war after being demobilized in August 1945, he was not welcomed back by his wife. He died from an overdose of barbiturates on November 15, 1945.

Another quote about Rafe:

[quote] Took his life with sleeping pills after a separation from his wife, millionaire torch singer Libby Holman. According to Robert La Guardia's biography on Montgomery Clift, Ralph was reportedly a depressed homosexual. While Libby was attracted to homosexuals, this claim that he was gay is in dispute.

Photo of Rafe:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 19, 2020 6:04 AM

He had a rather Leslie Howard look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 19, 2020 6:26 AM

Why should we care?

by Anonymousreply 5January 19, 2020 6:35 AM

OP, your headline is misleading, it implies your husband is at a hunk of the past and an "an American tragedy".

by Anonymousreply 6January 19, 2020 7:16 AM

That’s all just passive aggressive bitchery!

We see you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 7January 19, 2020 7:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!