Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Chicago (the pop group) were really strange people.

Their music ran all over the place.

I've been watching a strange (that word again) documentary about them on Netflix. Half the time I can't follow what's going on.

They didn't really have a shape to them. A clear visible lead singer with a famous name.

But in spite of all that, they were enormously successful and songs like "Wishing You Were Here" remind me so much of being in America in the 70s when I used to go there when I was a kid. Great driving music. The radio loved them.

They put out a ton of stuff. Great big double albums. Much of it totally unmemorable. But many of their hits were good.

Their biggest hit "If You Leave Me Now" apparently bugged and annoyed some members of the group as unrepresentative of the their sound and reason for being.

What's YOUR take?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39February 4, 2020 1:45 PM

I love Chicago. But I’m a tad biased, being that one of my closest girlfriend’s dad is in the band.

They’re good musicians. All of them. Definitely all over the place in their discography, as you pointed out, but it worked, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 1January 18, 2020 5:30 PM

Incredible band . Colour My World is a favorite.

by Anonymousreply 2January 18, 2020 5:35 PM

You sometimes have to plough through a lot to get to the good stuff, but it's there.

Their sound and style changed a lot.

I always loved Saturday In The Park.

And 25 0r 6 to 4.

by Anonymousreply 3January 18, 2020 5:39 PM

Terry Kath was the identifiable lead singer up until his death at age 31.

I'm a fan of their eponymous (at the time) Chicago Transit Authority LP, their first one, which was a breakthrough fusion of brassy jazz and progressive rock. Their later, MOR-ish and poppy stuff, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 4January 18, 2020 6:05 PM

Good god. It looks like an ugly contest.

by Anonymousreply 5January 18, 2020 7:15 PM

I dunno. I always thought trombone player/composer James Pankow (on the right with the, um, festive green shirt and VPL) was DILFy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 18, 2020 7:28 PM

Of course now he's much older:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 18, 2020 7:29 PM

[quote]Good god. It looks like an ugly contest.

I don't think they ever actually appeared on their album covers.

In those days we often didn't know what singers or bands looked like. Nor did we care.

by Anonymousreply 8January 18, 2020 7:33 PM

Terry Kath. I recall reading about his demise in a teen magazine. Playing with a revolver as I recall. It was a horrid article to come across in a teen magazine. They werent teen idols.

by Anonymousreply 9January 18, 2020 7:47 PM

Peter Cetera was a pretty big name, but maybe it was after he went solo that his name became known.

by Anonymousreply 10January 19, 2020 2:58 AM

Why so many of them? Isn't 4 or 5 the go to number for band?

by Anonymousreply 11January 19, 2020 3:07 AM

I've watched their Live in Tanglewood concert again and again. Hard to believe 50 years have passed because the sound was incredible. Saw them live in 1974. One of the best concerts ever. They still had that punchy sound before Peter Cetera took over for good.

All the band members were very talented and somehow they managed to put out a tremendous amount of music in a relatively short time. I also wonder how they got so good so fast. Lots and lots of practice probably lol.

by Anonymousreply 12January 19, 2020 3:17 AM

English is not your first language, I take it. After your English classes, ask them to focus on grammar.

by Anonymousreply 13January 19, 2020 3:22 AM

Colour My World was the big "slow dance" song when I was in high school, but their most representative song was "Beginnings". Loved, love, loved "25 or 6 to 4", but hated their later remake of the song. Of the ballads, my favorite was "Hard Habit To Break".

by Anonymousreply 14January 19, 2020 3:26 AM

Colour My World was the big "slow dance" song when I was in high school, but their most representative song was "Beginnings". Loved, love, loved "25 or 6 to 4", but hated their later remake of the song. Of the ballads, my favorite was "Hard Habit To Break".

by Anonymousreply 15January 19, 2020 3:26 AM

R13, that was rude and inaccurate. OP, your post was fine.

by Anonymousreply 16January 19, 2020 3:26 AM

They started out as a more jazz-oriented rock group -- like Blood, Sweat and Tears -- but eventually morphed into more generic MOR-rock.

by Anonymousreply 17January 19, 2020 3:27 AM

I didn't Chicago until after Peter Cetera left so to me the definitive Chicago Era was when Chicago 19 was released. A near perfect cd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 19, 2020 3:31 AM

They had so many members because they used so many horn instruments.

Terry Kath was an amazing singer and guitarist - doing both on this song. Their drummer Danny Seraphine was world class level too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 19, 2020 3:55 AM

[quote][R13], that was rude and inaccurate. OP, your post was fine.

Thank you, R16. What an unpleasant person R13 is!

It's the second snippy one I've encountered this evening. I don't usually get them too much...so it takes me by surprise.

And yes, my post WAS fine. I wouldn't send it in to The New Yorker, but it was fine for here and for Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 20January 19, 2020 4:05 AM

Terry Kath was amazing! Great big brute of a man, so sexy too.

by Anonymousreply 21January 19, 2020 8:34 AM

“Make Me Smile” is a favorite!

by Anonymousreply 22February 4, 2020 11:59 AM

Baby, What A Big Surprise is my favorite.

When I was in college they became big again with the album that had "You're The Inspiration"

by Anonymousreply 23February 4, 2020 12:03 PM

I liked their first two albums, back when they were hippie radicals—or that was the persona they were selling, at least. Then I had a bad acid trip in 1970 during which Chicago II played all night long. I never wanted to listen to them again, after hearing their music drip down the walls of my dorm room that night.

I never bought, or was even aware of, any subsequent music. I failed to realize the pop drek they put out in the '70s was even by Chicago until sometime in the '80s.

I still want to leave the room, the restaurant, or the car when "Color My World" comes on.

by Anonymousreply 24February 4, 2020 12:19 PM

Peter Cetera announced in November he’s retiring before his voice gives out. When he got kicked out of Chicago in 85, he wanted a Phil Collins arrangement with the group where he could solo work and do band stuff. They wanted to tour immediately again. He wanted to do a solo album so they let him go. Huge mistake. Chicago tours endlessly now, so Cetera would’ve left eventually, but they could’ve done a few more memorable albums. None of the singers post Cetera have ever measured up.

by Anonymousreply 25February 4, 2020 12:20 PM

[quote] I don't think they ever actually appeared on their album covers.

Just once that I know of.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 4, 2020 12:38 PM

[quote]Then I had a bad acid trip in 1970 during which Chicago II played all night long. I never wanted to listen to them again, after hearing their music drip down the walls of my dorm room that night.

Are you OK now gurl, or are there still repercussions?

by Anonymousreply 27February 4, 2020 1:12 PM

God, I hated Peter Cetera's voice

by Anonymousreply 28February 4, 2020 1:12 PM

Favorite song: Feeling Stronger Every Day

But I also really like Saturday in the Park, Beginnings, Colour My World, & Happy Man (and even Harry Truman)

by Anonymousreply 29February 4, 2020 1:18 PM

Color my World was the ubiquitous go to talent show performance if you played the flute.

by Anonymousreply 30February 4, 2020 1:21 PM

They sucked completely after the 5th album--more of a MOR band than the jazz rock of their beginnings. The 60s and esp, 70s lead to a lot of fusions of music, most famously the art-rock, glam rock and prog-rock bands, but "Chicago" like "Blood Sweat & Tears" and the lesser known Chicago-based band "Ides of March" did a jazz infused sound with horns. There were locals bands all over the country that did this sort of thing--House in Philadelphia was one. It probably sounds odd now, but then everything these days is homogenized electronic crap with no melody or depth.

James Pankow is the older brother of character actor John Pankow.

by Anonymousreply 31February 4, 2020 1:26 PM

I always lump them in with Bread. Same era, I guess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 4, 2020 1:31 PM

I LOVED Chicago as a young teen. I was a fan of all the songs featuring the punchy horn section. All the slow dance ballads without horns are the worst. "Color My World" (Terry K lead vocals) was the slow grind song of Junior High dances.

This is a band I now hear on the rarest occasions on the radio or someone's playlist. When I visited NYC I definitely sang "Another Rainy Day in New York City" to myself while I strolled around with my umbrella in the drizzle. I do still have the majority of my childhood albums, maybe I'll play Chicago on the old record player later today.

by Anonymousreply 33February 4, 2020 1:32 PM

[quote]This is a band I now hear on the rarest occasions on the radio or someone's playlist. When I visited NYC I definitely sang "Another Rainy Day in New York City" to myself while I strolled around with my umbrella in the drizzle.

And me...THIS ☞

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34February 4, 2020 1:34 PM

Can anyone explain what “25 or 6 to 4” is about? I’ve wondered since childhood.

by Anonymousreply 35February 4, 2020 1:36 PM

So many great songs, but Beginnings is my favorite. Hearing that takes me back to such younger days. Happier days.

Also love Feeling Stronger Every Day and Make Me Smile. Hearing either of them instantly improves my mood.

Saw Chicago in concert at LA's Greek Theater in 2007. Fantastic concert. One of the best I've ever seen. Even in their 60s, the band put on a lively show. America opened for them. So, it was a great 70s evening.

by Anonymousreply 36February 4, 2020 1:36 PM

[quote]Can anyone explain what “25 or 6 to 4” is about? I’ve wondered since childhood.

He'd been up most the night and kept looking at the clock and got himself into a muddle - is it 25 to 4? NO, IT'S NOW 6 to 4.

by Anonymousreply 37February 4, 2020 1:39 PM

r32 Bread and Chicago had almost nothing in common.

by Anonymousreply 38February 4, 2020 1:43 PM

Bread had a very different audience--much more female, MOR. Even, Chicago's later sound was more Michael McDonald-ish than anythging like Bread. Oddly, Bread did well on the R&B charts as did the Beach Boys and Carpenters.

by Anonymousreply 39February 4, 2020 1:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!