Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I Deleted My FB Account Today And I’m Excited.

I’m done with FB and I had to brag.

Is Facebook Destroying Society and Your Mental Health?

New research is clear: deactivating social media can improve your life.

What are your thoughts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87January 15, 2020 5:12 PM

I'm not deleting it, I just use it to see when others post pics like instagram. However, I'm hardly ever on it to begin with

by Anonymousreply 1January 13, 2020 8:44 PM

I only go on it when someone insists i communicate there, for some reason.

But it's silly to be proud of deleting FB by crowing about it on Datalounge which is also social media.

by Anonymousreply 2January 13, 2020 8:49 PM

R2 silly to you, but not to me. I find FB to be very petty and I finally took back control. Its just seems like bragging. I am so tired of seeing everyone laying in hospital beds, etc. I found myself becoming petty and felt like high school. No thanks!

by Anonymousreply 3January 13, 2020 8:53 PM

I FB to chat with a few friends who live across the country. Hardly ever post or even look at other posts. Never been a big thing for me in terms of a time wasting. Now DL on the other hand...

by Anonymousreply 4January 13, 2020 9:08 PM

I know I don't go on Facebook but once or twice a month. It depresses me because I'm looking at all these people living good lives and having fun with family and friends. I sends me into a deep depression. I have no friends anymore and I have no family. My facebook friends are just people that I once met or people that I used to know. It's incredibly sad how I fucked up my life. I sit in a stew of regret. Datalounge has replaced the hours I used to spend on Facebook. At least here, you can laugh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 13, 2020 9:26 PM

I condole you R5. Stay the hell off FB.

by Anonymousreply 6January 13, 2020 9:30 PM

I deleted Facebook back in 2009 and never looked back, OP.

by Anonymousreply 7January 13, 2020 9:40 PM

Well done, OP.

by Anonymousreply 8January 13, 2020 9:51 PM

FB sober for 2 years. Could not be happier.

by Anonymousreply 9January 13, 2020 9:55 PM

I hadn't used mine in a few years and I finally deleted it for good this week as well.

by Anonymousreply 10January 13, 2020 10:00 PM

I thought it was impossible to actually delete a FB account.

by Anonymousreply 11January 13, 2020 10:02 PM

Deleted last spring. One of the best decisions I ever made.

by Anonymousreply 12January 13, 2020 10:04 PM

Thinking of deleting mine. Its mostly family and people I haven't worked with in years. I figure why bother on both counts.

by Anonymousreply 13January 13, 2020 10:07 PM

R5 that's the same reason I avoided FB. Everyone appears to have such exciting fabulous lives while I'm exactly where I was 30. Life is hard enough without having to see how other people present their lives.

by Anonymousreply 14January 13, 2020 10:08 PM

I quit FB when my mental health started to deteriorate after I broke up with my partner. Quitting FB was the one thing that eventually restored my sanity even though I also quit doing drugs (mostly blow and booze) at the exact same time. For me it was easy to grow out of drugs and find other interests, however I kept jonesing for FB for months. Ten years after the facts, I still feel elated I did it and ditched those unfortunate habits. Yay you to all of you who did the same in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 15January 13, 2020 10:15 PM

Oh, that’s a relief, OP.

I thought you just unfriended me.

by Anonymousreply 16January 13, 2020 10:41 PM

Yay!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 13, 2020 10:50 PM

R11, it's not "impossible."

It's very easy to permanently DELETE your Facebook account.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 13, 2020 11:04 PM

I think i underutilize Facebook. I use it to stay in touch with family and friends. I get local news feeds, and I like various institutions like our local art center and a couple of environmental groups. That's it. I don't do strangers and I probably have about 40 friends on Facebook, if that. So I'm not going to boycott it. Hell I might forget Uncle Joe's birthday.

by Anonymousreply 19January 13, 2020 11:25 PM

Where all the 40-and-unders going now? Snapchat?

by Anonymousreply 20January 13, 2020 11:27 PM

After I watched 'The Social Network,' I vowed I would never get Facebook, and I never have. Never had Twitter either.

by Anonymousreply 21January 13, 2020 11:29 PM

Zuckerberg alone is reason enough to drop FB.

by Anonymousreply 22January 13, 2020 11:32 PM

I rarely look at it unlike years ago. But I do check up on family and a few friends.

by Anonymousreply 23January 13, 2020 11:34 PM

I have it, but don't use my own page at all. It's only because of "the others" that I go there.

by Anonymousreply 24January 13, 2020 11:35 PM

I never got on Facebook for the same reason I never go to high school reunions. I have direct contact information for friends and family. When did everyone forget that email is a miracle?

by Anonymousreply 25January 13, 2020 11:59 PM

Without the Russiapublican propaganda contract- how will Zuck stay afloat? It will be Myspace in a couple years.

by Anonymousreply 26January 14, 2020 12:00 AM

I had one briefly a while back because loved ones wanted to leave things there for me. It was not under my real name and the 40 or so people who used it were people I actually knew. Eventually they all moved on to Instagram and other platforms and I deleted it. I have no other social media. Datalounge is social but because it’s anonymous it doesn’t seem as narcissistic to me.

by Anonymousreply 27January 14, 2020 12:09 AM

I miss the old usenet groups. Social media has been overrun by bots, trolls and bratty children.

by Anonymousreply 28January 14, 2020 12:14 AM

I use Twitter. Every fucking day. Get all my news feeds, Washington Post, NYT, BBC, and BLoomberg, MSNBC, NBC,CBS, ABC, then I also get certain journalists and commentators. So Rachel Maddow, Soledad O'Brien, Sam Stein, Lemire, Dan Rather, etc. It takes me about 15 minutes to scan my news feeds and read what I feel like reading, and then I check again in the evening, and I've discovered that if you use credible sources, you can stay on top of just about everything you need to know. I also follow my local ABC affiliate and our local newspaper. it's efficient. Oh, I follow Pelosi, Kamala Harris, Elizabeth Warren, Sean Patrick Maloney, and Adam Schiff too.

by Anonymousreply 29January 14, 2020 12:21 AM

Everyone is just posting anti-Trump memes on FB. So boring and stupid!

by Anonymousreply 30January 14, 2020 12:27 AM

R30 seriously, you are right. It’s so stupid. I see the same people constantly posting shit. Then I see posts about their illness or in their hospital bed? Also, there are those that post everytime they pee, just to make you think their life is full of happiness.

by Anonymousreply 31January 14, 2020 12:30 AM

I chose not to start using my Comcast email account because I asked them, if I cancel my service, can I keep my email address?”, and they said “no”.

I went through that with att, who does let me keep a free Email address after I canceled service, and their customer service is simply zero. But not being able to keep a free Comcast account would be restricting. It would be hard to stop using it, if I ever wanted to, so I didn’t start.

by Anonymousreply 32January 14, 2020 12:40 AM

I deactivated my FB haven't deleted it yet but I have a feeling I will. I spent a lot of time building it over the years. I may give it the once over first to make sure I still have all the pics I uploaded stored elsewhere. There are some people I friended that I will miss but I'll find alternative ways to stay in touch.

by Anonymousreply 33January 14, 2020 12:41 AM

Is like to deactivate my LinkedIn account, but they don’t offer the option. FB does.

by Anonymousreply 34January 14, 2020 12:52 AM

I deleted mine in 2006. I graduated college in 2005, and after that Facebook seemed silly.

by Anonymousreply 35January 14, 2020 3:14 AM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 36January 14, 2020 4:53 AM

I've been gone since the Cambridge Analytica scandal which is, what, about two years now? Haven't missed it in the least.

by Anonymousreply 37January 14, 2020 4:57 AM

I never created a profile so I have nothing to delete.

by Anonymousreply 38January 14, 2020 5:03 AM

I never created a profile so I have nothing to delete.

by Anonymousreply 39January 14, 2020 5:03 AM

You cannot delete a Facebook account. It just deactives but the keep what you had in there forever.

by Anonymousreply 40January 14, 2020 5:04 AM

R40 really? So, you can always log back in to FB? My name has been removed and shows as FB user. I do have a 30 day wait period. No thanks, I’m done.

by Anonymousreply 41January 14, 2020 5:07 AM

Mine’s only a fake profile to spy on people I hated in school.

by Anonymousreply 42January 14, 2020 5:12 AM

R20, Snapchat is played out.

by Anonymousreply 43January 14, 2020 5:13 AM

R5 They don't call it FAKEbook for nuthin.

by Anonymousreply 44January 14, 2020 5:16 AM

So brave, OP! You deleted Facebook then came onto the DL to announce that to a bunch of people who you don’t know.

by Anonymousreply 45January 14, 2020 5:17 AM

I bailed out when a friend started posting graphic pictures of her spinal operation. Thankfully she didn't have a hysterectomy.

by Anonymousreply 46January 14, 2020 5:18 AM

All you are lying A-holes who say you deleted or never get on it. You're on it all day. Lying mofo's for sure, it's just like people say they don't go to WM then you see their ass there.

by Anonymousreply 47January 14, 2020 5:20 AM

Isn’t this “social media?”

by Anonymousreply 48January 14, 2020 5:30 AM

no R48 its a message board

by Anonymousreply 49January 14, 2020 5:33 AM

I'm one of those people who has an unhealthy relationship with Facebook. I'm on it way too much and usually end up agitated and very depressed. Yes seeing people from high school or old friends "living it up" while I feel like shit about myself. Or staring at peoples families while I am single. I also think it's responsible for losing a best friend of mine because his posts were so braggy and obnoxious.

Really most of my feed is animals or the environment. There's very few people I follow but I can still click on their pages.

But I'm worried I'll be even more isolated without Facebook. Sometimes if I feel lonely I'll share a post or photos and it's nice to get responses. But then again, I guess it's all "fake" in a way.

I also used to use the excuse that it's for the event invites or knowing what's happening in my city but I'm not using those as much.

I did delete Instagram almost 2 years ago and never looked back. That one really fucked with me. Happy to be gone. I use Twitter but it's not socially connected to anyone I know. I like to follow sports and breaking news.

Anyway I'm struggling with Facebook because on one hand I hate it, I really do, but I'm afraid I'll be worse off than I am now (isolated and going through a breakup).

by Anonymousreply 50January 14, 2020 5:47 AM

Thanks for checking in, all-seeing, all-knowing God at R47.

by Anonymousreply 51January 14, 2020 5:51 AM

Congrats OP! Deleting the Devil Facebook was not easy. I didn’t think they would ever let me go..... the waiting.... free at last, free at last ..,,

by Anonymousreply 52January 14, 2020 5:53 AM

R45 thank you. I had friends asking why I posted such an such. They thought it was directed at them. I had been very ill and just had surgery. So, having people bombard me was insane. Like I have time to look for items to post and hopefully wish that someone eohld see it? Crazy. So, yes, I am proud.

by Anonymousreply 53January 14, 2020 6:00 AM

Zuckerberg is evil and his information harvesting and brainwashing tool is fucking up the world. I quit FB over a year ago, no regrets. Friends can and do email/text/call me instead, without the whole world looking in.

I have a quasi-anonymous Twitter where I follow hobbies and science and generally stay out of politics.

No other social media but your granny's social media, Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 54January 14, 2020 6:02 AM

I look in on FB once a day briefly, to catch any local cultural events or news from some interest groups I follow. A network that promises to connect me to the world now connects me to local things most of which I wouldn't find easily elsewhere.

I used to share an occasional news item of interest but never liked it as a means to share personal info: birthday, marriage, a new dog, new haircut...

I came late to the game about 7 years ago and was never deeply invested. A few old friends found me which has been nice; a few acquaintances found me which has had no consequence. Now I only post every few months a vague everyday life photo of something of my surroundings, nothing more. Wouldn't miss it at all but for the news and the very rare news of far-flung friends (as most of my friends are)

I hate Twitter, hate LinkedIn even more, Instagram I like for the images - pretty pictures, not celebrities, not selfie-whores, not self-absorption (though that can easily be found there if it's what you seek.)

I never spent much time or effort at FB, and now it's much less still, a quick scan like I might give a newspaper between metro stops. Nothing more.

Never having shared that much or had.much more interaction with real friends on it than a LIKE it still feels as if the place is dying (even if many of the remaining inhabitants seem to think it's vital still.).

by Anonymousreply 55January 14, 2020 6:20 AM

Disconnect from the Borg.

Sure, dip a toe or two in the water on occasion but:

GET OUT OF THE WATER!

by Anonymousreply 56January 14, 2020 6:24 AM

I forgot to add that I loathe LinkedIn. And now that I'm not in a 9-5 type of job and not trying to impress anyone with my resume, I stopped using it and am so happy. I never liked it but felt obligated to be active there when I worked in marketing or was job hunting. It's not only annoying but the platform seems weak and poorly constructed.

by Anonymousreply 57January 14, 2020 6:31 AM

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

The OP is Mark Hamill

Did you read the news

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58January 14, 2020 10:08 AM

In 20 years, I think we'll be back to landlines for a lot of media. I believe all this wireless isn't as benign as people want to believe. I think there will be enclaves - for so many reasons - safety and health, and I think wireless will be limited somewhat in enclaves for the privileged few. Wireless devices will seek and use very close landlines

Similarly, the science will be in about the negative psychological and physical effects of social media and people being too attached to online devices and many many people will be avoiding such things, like we do transfat today.

by Anonymousreply 59January 14, 2020 7:37 PM

R59 interesting.

by Anonymousreply 60January 14, 2020 7:42 PM

R51 seems that you got triggered, are you one of those FB liers? I think so, you sound like it.

by Anonymousreply 61January 14, 2020 7:51 PM

I'm thinking about setting up a Myspace page. I hear it's lots of fun to design your page and have people post on your wall.

by Anonymousreply 62January 14, 2020 9:00 PM

I sometimes thing about deactivating my account but instead I have just actively either unfriended certain people or unfollowed others, mostly if they post anything that leads me to think they are Faux news junkies or Trump supporters.

by Anonymousreply 63January 14, 2020 9:08 PM

What totally worked for me was to delete people who weren’t really close friends from my friends list.

This way, I actually cared about the people I’d get updates about.

Most of the BS is gone and it’s a pleasant experience

by Anonymousreply 64January 14, 2020 9:15 PM

The only social media I have is Facebook. I never set up an Instagram or Twitter account and I’m totally fine.

Now, kids tell me about so many new social media sites that no one can keep up

by Anonymousreply 65January 14, 2020 9:18 PM

I never had a Facebook account - at first it just seemed creepy to have people you haven’t seen in decades contact you - now it really does seem evil in many ways. I’m in my 50s but people are still surprised when I tell them I don’t use FB. Twitter also seems like a useless time suck - for that I have DL.

by Anonymousreply 66January 14, 2020 10:43 PM

Good for you OP, facebook is so 2010.

by Anonymousreply 67January 14, 2020 11:28 PM

I never had one because I thought it seemed stupid.

by Anonymousreply 68January 14, 2020 11:29 PM

DL is my outlet. I'd prefer to get my news from well read gays and lesbians than idiots from high school.

I do have FB, but only to chat with a few friends who live across the country. One doesn't text. I love her so much! A vet doc that I met playing a trivia game on an app and we just became fast friends. So random. In the last five years, she has been there for me through career annoyances, partner problems etc, I've been there for her through her kids leaving the nest, etc. And that's all been through FB chat. So I have to thank the evil Zuck for at least that.

by Anonymousreply 69January 15, 2020 12:52 AM

I literally have a email account where the password is "fuckoffzuck". Needless to say, I don't use Facefuckbook.

by Anonymousreply 70January 15, 2020 2:59 AM

When the under-40s turn against you- it's like a mass shunning. They will groupthink you into oblivion.

by Anonymousreply 71January 15, 2020 3:46 AM

R70 seriously, I almost spit out my drink. Lmao.

by Anonymousreply 72January 15, 2020 4:26 AM

I just deleted my FBI record. Jealous, bitches?

by Anonymousreply 73January 15, 2020 4:39 AM

R73 omg 😱 Lmao

by Anonymousreply 74January 15, 2020 4:42 AM

When my mom and her friends got Facebook accounts, I knew it was time to go.

by Anonymousreply 75January 15, 2020 5:02 AM

I have a page, but on New Year’s Eve while watching a movie, I deleted all past posts except for a few I kept from a trip—which I marked as viewable only by me in Privacy. I don’t intend to post anything anymore for the many reasons listed by others above. Now it’s just an empty page with a generic cover and photo. People can contact me, but I won’t be adding any new friends.

FB is now just a broadcasted bragbook—and most people don’t really follow anyone—and usually only comment on others’ posts when they have the chance to be offended. An elderly acquaintance added me as a friend - then accused me of being a devil worshipper because a trailer to IT 2 was added to my profile (and her News Feed) when I saw the film and checked in at the theater. WTF. I deleted everyone except a handful of friends and don’t intend to use it anymore for my own mental health. Like others here, I don’t like the idea of being isolated from long-distance friends, but I realize social media is just an illusion - a false sense of connection that I’d rather learn to live without it via discipline.

by Anonymousreply 76January 15, 2020 5:31 AM

R76 I completely agree.

by Anonymousreply 77January 15, 2020 6:28 AM

Don't feel too bad r5 it's just an illusion people want to make it look like they're having a great time living life. They could be even more depressed than you are but hey will never show it. I lived in Los Angeles fir over 20 years. It's all about image, just like social media. You created a scripted, enhanced life that other people wish they could have.

It's all smoke and mirrors.

by Anonymousreply 78January 15, 2020 6:38 AM

If you want to delete Facebook, instead you should screw them over. You do this by making a totally fake profile. Change all your data and download things like Hello Kitty and My Pony (probably poor choices from the types that read this site, but you get the idea).

Then all Facebook has to sell is not accurate and it will decline.

by Anonymousreply 79January 15, 2020 6:50 AM

Fuck Fackbook, Zuckerberg, and his pro-Trump agenda!

by Anonymousreply 80January 15, 2020 7:01 AM

I use FB for one hobby, and that's it. I'm not on any social pages or groups, I don't follow anyone, and I don't accept invites from people not in the hobby (which is all old geeks, anyway), so I'm not generally bothered by whatever is going on with FB.

by Anonymousreply 81January 15, 2020 7:37 AM

It’s hard to exit stage left on FB because invariably someone gets offended. You never hear from someone for years, but un-friend them, and then get a message asking why. You sheepishly re-friend them to save face, then you stop hearing from them again. From now on I’m going to respond, “If I add you again, will I start hearing from you occasionally?”

I had a few friends I used to share music and videos with some friends and family members to laugh at or comment on, but when you see the messages are seen but not responded to, it’s a bit demoralizing. These friends talk about how busy they are, but yet they have time to post an extensive photo exposé of little Hayley’s daily play dates, so you see they are making a choice.

by Anonymousreply 82January 15, 2020 7:58 AM

If you loved 9th grade you'll love Fakebook.

by Anonymousreply 83January 15, 2020 8:01 AM

Things I like about FB : I can see what hot-button issues are being discussed and/or complained about in my community (road work, school construction, taxes, real estate development). I like to know what is going on and unfortunately without FB the only way I would know about these things is a friend would tell me he "saw it on Facebook". I have a teenager in school so I also learn from other parents things I need to know about college testing, happenings at the school, fundraisers etc. Of course a lot of this information is obtainable by other means but not nearly as easily especially since local newspapers are practically extinct. So kill me but i also don't mind seeing the prom and graduation photos of kids I have gotten to know through my son over the years, vacation photos, etc. To me those are happy things. I can totally understand if I was in a bad place seeing all that "happiness" might sink me further, but I am in a good place right now so these things bring me happiness. So it would be hard to live without it in my current situation, but like I posted upthread I have either unfriended or hidden anyone who posts anything even hinting of right-wing crackpottery. One of the worst things about social media is I have learned who some people really "are" and I would prefer to not have know that. It has made me dislike people I used to think were okay.

by Anonymousreply 84January 15, 2020 1:34 PM

Stop enriching Mark Zuckerberg. Delete Facebook now.

Demand that websites which use Facebook for logging in and/or commenting likewise delete Facebook.

by Anonymousreply 85January 15, 2020 1:39 PM

NEVER use your facebook profile to log into other sites. That's how the other sites get ALL your information and that of your Facebook friends.

by Anonymousreply 86January 15, 2020 3:38 PM

Frau at R84. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 87January 15, 2020 5:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!