Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Red Balloon

Le ballon rouge de Albert Lamorisse. I guess my NY metro area school district owned a copy? Yours?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 12, 2020 11:00 PM

It made me gay.

by Anonymousreply 1January 12, 2020 7:20 PM

Yes, we watched it every year in school and it bored me to tears every time.

by Anonymousreply 2January 12, 2020 7:46 PM

Why did they show it to us so regularly? Was this some kind of Cold War deep state evilness?

by Anonymousreply 3January 12, 2020 8:14 PM

It was meant to be arty yet something kids could relate to. It was supposed to introduce you to party things.

by Anonymousreply 4January 12, 2020 8:36 PM

^arty things

by Anonymousreply 5January 12, 2020 8:36 PM

Yeah you're right. Lots of arty farty hippy dippy teachers back then.

by Anonymousreply 6January 12, 2020 8:48 PM

Yes, that was like required viewing in grade school. That film and also a Japanese film called Komatsu. In English it was called "Fatty and Skinny." It was about two boys who get bullied in school. One is fat and the other is skinny and they eventually become friends.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 12, 2020 8:52 PM

Not long after filming "The Red Balloon" large parts of Belleville, area of Paris faced urban renewal of a sort. Buildings were torn down and either replaced with new or land was used to create a rather beautiful park.

Père Lachaise Cemetery is located in the area, so if you've made that trek you've been.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 12, 2020 8:59 PM

Personally like Belleville since it is one of few areas that escaped Baron Haussmann's efforts so you can find plenty of "old" Paris

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 12, 2020 9:01 PM

I grew up in NYC too and yes, public school standard at Friday assemblies throughout elementary and junior high in the late 70s. That, and J. T.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 12, 2020 9:04 PM

That's NOT a balloon! It's a red ball that was suspended on a wire.

by Anonymousreply 11January 12, 2020 9:06 PM

I also had the picture book - very 60s - lots of full page film stills. I was always confused disturbed by how old his mother looked. OTOH since I was a kid I’ve always wanted a Paris style apt with the big windows and the elaborate wrought iron railings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 12, 2020 9:22 PM

It seems mothers showed it at every kids birthday party in the early 60's.

by Anonymousreply 13January 12, 2020 9:24 PM

OMG projected films at birthday parties. I had completely forgotten about that. My, I'm old and I'm not even 60. Some aspects of the 60's seem as old as the 30s, now.

by Anonymousreply 14January 12, 2020 9:27 PM

I fucking hate this film. It appears to be about nothing except the ability of kids to be horrible to each other. The red balloon "dies" and the little boy is sad and then hey, fuck it, here come 100 replacements so who cares?

Vomit.

by Anonymousreply 15January 12, 2020 10:31 PM

Yes, saw this every year in my rural Oregon elementary school in the 60s/70s. Also “Peter and the Wolf” narrated by Sterling Holloway and that “Grand Canyon Suite” travelogue.

by Anonymousreply 16January 12, 2020 11:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!