Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The most overrated music acts of all time

They disgust me

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201January 26, 2020 5:20 PM

Lady Fugga!

by Anonymousreply 1January 12, 2020 9:15 AM

... David Bowie

*ducks for cover*

by Anonymousreply 2January 12, 2020 9:17 AM

Beyonce. She screams when she sings and in the interview she sounds so ghetto and uneducated.

I'd rather listen to Rihanna or Lizzo.

by Anonymousreply 3January 12, 2020 9:20 AM

r3 Shut up, you loose whore. I bet I could shove a baseball bat up your hole.

by Anonymousreply 4January 12, 2020 9:22 AM

Anything too conventional sounding is overrated. I feel like a lot of people are close-minded and don't appreciate the more extreme and experimental music out there.

by Anonymousreply 5January 12, 2020 9:40 AM

Agree with you particularly on Eminem. Such an overrated angry little shit . I didn't hear all the "genius " critics were raving about. Just a schizo ranting.

by Anonymousreply 6January 12, 2020 9:40 AM

NEVER COULD STAND THAT NEGATIVE SON OF A BITCH.

ALL SHE DO IS YELL

GLAD SHE IN THE GUTTER

by Anonymousreply 7January 12, 2020 9:47 AM

I suspect that Prince is a fraud and had ghost musicians.

by Anonymousreply 8January 12, 2020 9:55 AM

I'm going to add a vote for John Mayer. Hated his atonal mumbling.

by Anonymousreply 9January 12, 2020 10:02 AM

To name a few, but there are literally so fucking many, my list is:

Tranny Beyonce! Albino narcissistic Taylor Swift! Bisexual bipolar slut Halsey! Homophobic fugly drugged up untalented Eminem! Fat bisexual orangutan Elton John! Bisexual coward George Michael! Overrated spinless homophobic greasy bisexual Ricky Martin! Promiscuous buckteethed bisexual drug addicted Freddy Mercury! Walking pansexual tuna can and STI machine Miley Cyrus! Ugly cat piss smelling bipolar multicoloured haired Billie Eilish! Dumpster smelling closeted lesbian Pink! Overrated anorexic hypocritical fugly closeted bisexual Prince.

I might return later to list more.

by Anonymousreply 10January 12, 2020 10:04 AM

Jonas Brothers.

George Jones. What a cunt that guy was.

Janet Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 11January 12, 2020 10:13 AM

Billie Eilish (Manufactured and a complete fraud)

Poppy (Total backstabbing bitch)

Mariah Carey (Crazy bitch)

J. Lo (Doesn't even sing her own choruses, also a total asshole)

Shakira (Yodelling bellydancer who writes pretentious psuedo-philosopical psuedo-intellectual lyrics)

Ariana Grande (Cunt of the highest order, rude bitch who is practically bald and wears a 4 ft. ponytail hair extension)

The Beatles (The main definition of overrated)

by Anonymousreply 12January 12, 2020 10:14 AM

Beyonce lacks something, no matter how big she's gotten, how hard she works, how many hits she releases, there's something missing - I don't know how to put it, she's still brilliantly successful and I have nothing against her

by Anonymousreply 13January 12, 2020 10:18 AM

Bob Dylan, who sounds like a bleating goat.

by Anonymousreply 14January 12, 2020 10:27 AM

r13 I was thinking in terms of the icon status Dionne Warwick spoke about last year and I still enjoy her songs when they play, a thousand apologies!

by Anonymousreply 15January 12, 2020 10:32 AM

I also don’t get the supposed genius of Kanye West. I like some of his songs a lot, but I don’t hear anything even close to genius in his lyrics. Some of his sounds are inventive—could that be what people mean when they call him a genius? Because it cannot possibly be the lyrics:

“I'm not loving you, the way I wanted to

I bet no one knew, I got no one new

No I said I'm through, but got love for you

But I'm not loving you, the way I wanted to

Gotta keep it going, keep the loving going

Keep it on a roll, only god knows

If I'll be with you, baby I'm confused

You choose, you choose

I'm not loving you, the way I wanted to

Way I wanna go, I don't need you

I been down this road, too many times before

I'm not loving you, the way I wanted to”

He freaked out over Taylor Swift winning an award, but honestly, she could sing those lyrics and her fans wouldn’t realize it wasn’t an original Taylor Swift song. Yet Kanye calls himself a genius and a god and he acts like an insane person, and so the public overall seems to accept that he is a genius.

by Anonymousreply 16January 12, 2020 10:38 AM

Every modern millenial pop and rap /hip hop entertainers They are not artists

by Anonymousreply 17January 12, 2020 10:49 AM

I like some of Beyoncé’s songs - and she’s an incredible performer, but she’s the music industry version of a Barbie. She looks and sounds great, but as an artist, she’s industry product. She lacks any kind of personal authenticity. With her, everything seems 100% scripted and produced. Most of the time when you see her offstage she seems completely checked out mentally.

This is my favorite!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 12, 2020 10:51 AM

John Mayer

by Anonymousreply 19January 12, 2020 10:54 AM

r18 yes! That's it! She's Barbie, thank you!

by Anonymousreply 20January 12, 2020 10:56 AM

R4 Pathetic member of the Beyhive (I can't believe I just typed that stupid fucking name)

You probably bought the overrated Lemonade when it first came out. You overpaid.

Go away, don't you have some lacefronts to glue on your head?

by Anonymousreply 21January 12, 2020 11:03 AM

r21 You don’t glue lace fronts

by Anonymousreply 22January 12, 2020 11:11 AM

Radiohead and Kanye West are two that come to mind.

by Anonymousreply 23January 12, 2020 11:20 AM

Amy Crackhouse! She had one album with three or four good songs and suddenly the British press was saying she’s better than Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday (As if!). She would’ve flopped and been forgotten like so many others had she lived and made a follow up album.

by Anonymousreply 24January 12, 2020 11:24 AM

I agree about Amy Winehouse to some extent, although I’d say she was less overrated overall than Adele is. I like Adele’s voice and her personality, but her song lyrics to date could have come out of the bargain bin at Dollar General, they’re so generic:

“I didn’t hear

What you said

Instead I loved

I loved what I remember

It didn’t matter

What you said

Because I knew

What I felt

For us both

And I knew

It would last

Even if

Your words

They were different

And so when

You left

You left me broken

Never saw it coming

Should have seen it!”

(Not actual Adele lyrics, but you know they could be.)

by Anonymousreply 25January 12, 2020 11:31 AM

Pop music in general is overrated, because it is a mass produced candy everybody is supposed to want due to hype.

by Anonymousreply 26January 12, 2020 11:32 AM

Pretty much anyone who has won an Emmy ever. The Emmy awards are a national disgrace and only a reflection of whomever is receiving the most airplay at the moment. I've long felt that the awards are purchased ahead of time. There really is no rational explanation for his astoundingly bad the Emmy voters choices are and how many gifted artists they overlook.

by Anonymousreply 27January 12, 2020 11:36 AM

[quote] Billie Eilish (Manufactured and a complete fraud)

partly by herself; attractive upper-middle class white girl who thinks being an attractive upper-middle class white girl makes her uninteresting, and being uninteresting is the worst thing in the world, so she manufactures herself in pursuit of "depth", and ends up producing something quite shallow - standard stuff - she'll grow out of it, probably

by Anonymousreply 28January 12, 2020 11:45 AM

I think R27 means Grammys...?

by Anonymousreply 29January 12, 2020 11:48 AM

My dad (71) recently saw Billie Eilish on America’s Got Talent or something and he asked me if she is a boy or a girl or “I don’t know what to call it, but...a transitioned?” He said he can’t tell what people are anymore and she seems like she could be a boy or turning into one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 12, 2020 11:52 AM

The band Tool. Why does everyone who is even remotely into alternative music have to worship them? They fucking suck, and Maynard James Keenan is so arrogant and a massive prick of the highest order. If you have to take an eighth of mushrooms just to enjoy it then it’s not good music, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 31January 12, 2020 12:50 PM

What's most popular, monetarily successful and hyped by the media is seldom what's best.

by Anonymousreply 32January 12, 2020 1:09 PM

The least common denominator always sells best. Not the highest quality and not the most inventive. The industry itself hypes mostly what sells. Usually that’s something that arouses sexual responses, and sometimes it’s an of-the-moment fad. The onus is on the public for that. People make fun of me for listening to Tori Amos (“Is it 1996??” Har har!) because she was the hot thing then and then she fell out of public favor because she is an actual musical artist and she evolved beyond what made her hot at the moment. She remains a provocative artist with artistic integrity but the public by and large dismissed her as a weirdo because she’s not the least common denominator. So you get what the people want. Oftentimes, an artist will snag public attention for being unique, and then being unique ultimately is seen as their downfall, as they’re not a mass-produced product. Meanwhile, people with great technical skill who sing schlock—Celine Dion or Barbra Streisand, for example—keep selling least common denominator material to an eager public because it’s what the masses want.

by Anonymousreply 33January 12, 2020 1:19 PM

I second the Beatles. They are dying in order of talent.

by Anonymousreply 34January 12, 2020 1:19 PM

R3, I don't care for Beyonce's music or her fans, but she speaks country, not ghetto.

She has what my late mother used to call a "lazy tongue," and she sounds jes' lak dose peep'l frum dat co'ner uv Tessas an' Looziana, bofe black AN' white. The ones who never care to clean up their enunciation.

I HATE hearing her speak or sing certain types of songs. When I hear her version of Etta James's classic, I leap for the channel changer. 🎶"Aaaa lassss, mah luuuuvvv has cummmm alonnnn'...."🎶 I'm like, "Bitch, that's a goddamn STANDARD; fucking do it right or not at all!"

Awful. Jessss' owfuh'. Still, it's country, not ghetto.

by Anonymousreply 35January 12, 2020 2:34 PM

Fleetwood Mac - Stevie Nicks has an awful voice, the music is druggy crap and I'll never understand why out of all the bands from the 1970s, every hipster decided to embrace them.

by Anonymousreply 36January 12, 2020 3:11 PM

R36- I stand by the fact that Stevie's voice was AMAZING from 1981-1983. And that's it. Her voice has been horrendous for years. And fuck, that 1986-1994 period was the WORST.

Agree that Fleetwood Mac is supremely overrated. However, Lindsey is an underrated guitarist- he is amazing.

And they DID have some truly great songs- Sara, Gold Dust Woman...

by Anonymousreply 37January 12, 2020 4:13 PM

Billie Eilish is this generation's Fiona Apple, but Fiona had some decent songs and was actually quite attractive.

by Anonymousreply 38January 12, 2020 4:20 PM

R38 fiona was never as big but she had talent and didn’t have a brother writing and producing all her songs

by Anonymousreply 39January 12, 2020 6:16 PM

Madonna

by Anonymousreply 40January 12, 2020 6:26 PM

Janet Jackson

by Anonymousreply 41January 12, 2020 6:27 PM

Bruce Springsteen. I like a few of his songs but his voice is generally awful & sounds constipated.

by Anonymousreply 42January 12, 2020 6:33 PM

1. Mariah Carey - mediocrely talented and singing. The biggest fraud

2. Janet Jackson - no talents whatsoever. She would have been nothing if she wasn’t MJ’s sister

3. Lady Gaga - 😯 at this copycat. She copies Madonna page by page. Nothing’s screamed original from this hypocrite. She can sing however

4. Beyoncé - can sing and can dance. She’s a very very dumb and academically uneducated person. She has a whole team think for her because she cannot come up with anything intelligent

by Anonymousreply 43January 12, 2020 6:40 PM

I sure hope historians will not only erase Trump's name from history books but also the band Maroon 5 with its front man Adam Levine.

I mean, we already have to endure the shame of being remembered that David Hasslehoff was a singing sensation in Germany. I don't think the US can handle more of that.

by Anonymousreply 44January 12, 2020 6:42 PM

You DARE name The Beatles among this latest DL list of cast offs?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 12, 2020 6:47 PM

R37 I'll give you Buckingham being a talented guitarist.

by Anonymousreply 46January 12, 2020 6:51 PM

Agree with Bowie. He couldn't sing for shit, and in forty years of songwriting he came up with three or four really good ones!

I wish he'd done more acting.

by Anonymousreply 47January 12, 2020 7:02 PM

Alanis Morissette - I loved her in my teens, but I've since realized that her music/persona is just as manufactured as any bubblegum pop star.

by Anonymousreply 48January 12, 2020 7:04 PM

R48 I don’t think Alanis’s music is “as contrived as bubblegum pop is” in the sense that I think Alanis authors her own lyrics and addresses a lot of spiritual-ish subject matter that isn’t really fodder for radio-friendly pop love and breakup songs. She’s more interesting and thoughtful than that. But her choice to tour with Tori Amos back in 1999 definitely made her look like a musical lightweight by comparison.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 12, 2020 7:14 PM

All rap. All EDM. Everyone that uses autotune. And most acts that feature dancing.

by Anonymousreply 50January 12, 2020 7:19 PM

R49 is correct! Can you imagine having to follow a 1999 Tori Amos performance?

by Anonymousreply 51January 12, 2020 7:22 PM

Beyoncé gets my vote too. I know people say she can sing, but to me it sounds like she just has a lot of power in her voice, but no actual tune. It sounds like yelling, rather than singing. Most of the imagery she uses in her videos is cribbed from other artists, without her doing anything interesting with it. And she often seems to think she's saying something more interesting in her music than she actually is. Her version of "feminism", ie "I earn a lot of money and can buy lots of things" doesn't inspire me in any way.

by Anonymousreply 52January 12, 2020 7:31 PM

Yes, Beyonce is very pretty, can dance and puts on a good "show" but to me her music is nothing special. Team RiRi all the way.

by Anonymousreply 53January 12, 2020 7:41 PM

Beyoncé singing “At Last.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54January 12, 2020 7:46 PM

Cyndi Lauper singing “At Last.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55January 12, 2020 7:47 PM

I think Kanye was only good because other hip hop was so bad. It seems like it was nothing but the pimps and hos and gangsta crap just over and over again lyrically, and every song would be whatever one style was trendy at the time. It's either Kanye or crunk. He was a little more creative and introspective than other rappers.

by Anonymousreply 56January 12, 2020 7:53 PM

"Beyonce lacks something, no matter how big she's gotten, how hard she works, how many hits she releases, there's something missing -

I know what you mean. After all these years, I have no idea who she s really is, can't name one strong personality trait. She truly is like a robot. Remember when she was on one of those awful "Punked" shows and a giant christmas tree crashed as she played piano and she just stared ahead, no reaction at all. So friggin' weird. It looked like she was on Pause.

by Anonymousreply 57January 12, 2020 7:53 PM

This, R57?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58January 12, 2020 7:59 PM

Recently saw a singer who said that in Porgy and Bess all the characters were slaves, and Summertime was a lullaby one of the slave characters had to sing to the baby of her white masters while she couldn't tend to her own children.

by Anonymousreply 59January 12, 2020 8:01 PM

R3 thinks Beyonce is "ghetto and uneducated" but apparently Lizzo and Rihanna are Vassar grads

by Anonymousreply 60January 12, 2020 8:04 PM

When I see Beyonce I think of Fembots—nothing but a programmed robot that sings and dances.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61January 12, 2020 8:04 PM

People here are so weird. Beyonce isn't a musical genius but she can sing circles around Rihanna. Rihanna has dead eyes and can't sing OR dance

by Anonymousreply 62January 12, 2020 8:07 PM

I don’t get the Rihanna thing at all. I’m glad someone said so. She does appear to be creative but she’s an abysmal singer. I consider her to be somewhere between Britney Spears and Madonna in the vocal ability department, and that’s not a compliment.

by Anonymousreply 63January 12, 2020 8:11 PM

I don’t see Rihanna as overated because she is just radio fodder, she is not “acclaimed” like Beyawnce or Fugga.

by Anonymousreply 64January 12, 2020 8:37 PM

While not necessarily the most overrated, I think in classical music circles composers like Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Brahms, Wagner, Schubert, Schumann, Mahler, etc. get too much attention.

by Anonymousreply 65January 12, 2020 8:37 PM

Lana del rey who makes nothing but boring music but is considered a genius...

by Anonymousreply 66January 12, 2020 8:38 PM

Aretha Franklin is the poster child for this thread.

by Anonymousreply 67January 12, 2020 8:45 PM

Billie Eilish and Lizzo-both are all gimmick. Eilis: Look at me, I'm so tough and edgy, and I don't objectify my body so I have substance!" Lizzo: "I'm a fat bitch who's sassy and women power, body positivity, blah, blah, blah. And I have a flute."

by Anonymousreply 68January 12, 2020 8:47 PM

R65 Who should be getting more attention than those you mentioned, in classical music circles? Telemann? Haydn? Poulenc? Mendelssohn? Satie? Berlioz? Surely Beethoven is greater than Berlioz.

I'm genuinely curious. Kurt Weill?

by Anonymousreply 69January 12, 2020 8:50 PM

I don't get Rihanna as a vocal artist either. I totally get her as an icon for this time, a fashion leader and a genuine star, for sure. But as a singer??

by Anonymousreply 70January 12, 2020 8:52 PM

R68 Luckily they will be fads, quickly forgotten by 2022.

by Anonymousreply 71January 12, 2020 8:56 PM

Phil Collins Supertramp Lenny Kravitz

by Anonymousreply 72January 12, 2020 9:03 PM

R3 must have kicked the hornet's nest aka Beyhive. Because it's hitting a nerve.

Kelly Rowland and Michelle Williams (not the Golden Globe abortion one) have just as good if not better voices. Their dad just wasn't the manager.

R22 doesn't know that you can glue OR tape lacefronts

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73January 12, 2020 9:12 PM

People often complain about Beyonce having little personality and her distance in interviews. The same things were thrown Whitney Houston’s way when she was young and look how the media/public treated her later. As a Black woman, it’s better to keep all of your weaknesses and vulnerability from the public eye. It’s better for people to complain that you’re too perfect than to be an object of ridicule.

by Anonymousreply 74January 12, 2020 9:13 PM

Count me as another Billie Eilish non-fan. She sounds like she's mumbling through a heroin-induced nod session. Her whisper-mumble lyrical "stylings" are boring and tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 75January 12, 2020 9:19 PM

With Beyoncé, I think it's the fact that she has been so "handled" her entire life, whether it be by her father or by her "team". You never feel like you ever see the real her, which isn't what you feel with Rihanna. With Rihanna, what you see is what you get and that's why she is still popular after 14 years of number one hits as a solo artist. I think there is some truth to what Wendy Williams said about Beyoncé sounding dumb when she talks--the fact that she does very few interviews adds to this. It's like she's afraid of revealing herself and being messy. Let's put it this way--if there were videos online of her just walking down the street and falling, I feel like her team would do everything they could to take down those videos in a matter of seconds. Anything that makes her seem "vulnerable" is a threat to her.

by Anonymousreply 76January 12, 2020 9:27 PM

IF Lizzo somehow manages to have continued success, then add her morbidly obese ass to the top of this list.

by Anonymousreply 77January 12, 2020 9:32 PM

Maroon 5 - Definition of frau appeal.

by Anonymousreply 78January 12, 2020 9:36 PM

" It's like she's [Beyoncé] afraid of revealing herself and being messy. "

Well, it's not like she isn't wrong to be afraid of being seen as messy, there's a whole internet full of bitches waiting to tear down anyone with a "perfect" image when they make a blunder. Especially women.

And if her talent were enough to stand on its own then it'd be a great strategy! But the fact is, Beyoncé's talent is good rather than great, her singing and dancing are good rather than great, and a spark of personality would make her someone I could actually admire rather than being someone who makes me say "Yeah, fine". Oh well, she's made her choice, and she's doing okay without me.

by Anonymousreply 79January 12, 2020 9:37 PM

TORI AMOS - Far and away the most overrated!

Lindsey Buckingham - 2nd Most Overrated after the fraud, Tori Amos

Booze Bag Amy Winehouse

Beyoncé

Jay Z

Kanye West

The Beatles

Imagine Dragons

Adele

Joss Stone

David Bowie

Prince

George Michael

Freddie Mercury & Queen

Cyndi Lauper

Once more with feeling: TORI AMOS.

by Anonymousreply 80January 12, 2020 9:53 PM

Rihanna is not "real" - she's a manufactured "artist" who can't sing

by Anonymousreply 81January 12, 2020 10:02 PM

R80 is wrong

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82January 12, 2020 10:11 PM

Get fucked R80. Tori is a true musician and a child prodigy. A fraud??

Overrated? She had 3 hit albums over the course of 4-5 years, that's it.

She is underrated. And a tremendous live performer.

by Anonymousreply 83January 12, 2020 10:12 PM

And its one thing to hate Tori (most here do) but to say she is overrated? Nope.

That would be Beyonce.

Sting is another one.

by Anonymousreply 84January 12, 2020 10:13 PM

R83 Speaks truth

by Anonymousreply 85January 12, 2020 10:14 PM

Kelly Rowland is more likeable than Beyonce.

Beyonce's too calculated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86January 12, 2020 10:20 PM

RE Classical, and who should be getting more attention: Prokofiev should be getting a lot more attention. My favorites are listed in this YT audio file. Classical Symphony No 1 in D Major begins the video, and skipping to 08:22 you will hear The Montagues and the Capulets (theme music from the Bob Guccione camp classic "Caligula")

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87January 12, 2020 10:28 PM

What's likeable about Kelly Rowland? She's not talented or interesting

by Anonymousreply 88January 12, 2020 10:32 PM

Nor is Tori Amos.

by Anonymousreply 89January 12, 2020 10:33 PM

Beyonce is only popular because she's pretty. She's very pretty.

Solange is more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 90January 12, 2020 10:35 PM

R90: She looks like a massive turkey drumstick with a wig/weave on.

by Anonymousreply 91January 12, 2020 10:37 PM

Shitney Smears.

by Anonymousreply 92January 12, 2020 10:38 PM

The Eagles. They suck.

by Anonymousreply 93January 12, 2020 10:38 PM

Barbra

by Anonymousreply 94January 12, 2020 10:40 PM

Miss fat ugly lip sync Mariah Carey who bought all her number 1 singles and who shamelessly slept with her boss/husband Tommy to be famous. She’s a shameless ugly talentless fat whore

by Anonymousreply 95January 12, 2020 10:44 PM

R78 They're awful. I hated that She will be loved song and the other song they sang with the lyrics "Don't you come round here anymore "( can't remember the name of the song ) . Appalling. I want to barf everytime I hear either song. The only song I have ever hated more than those two was Bowling for Soups 1985 .

by Anonymousreply 96January 12, 2020 10:46 PM

R96, I think those were their only good songs lol. But their music REALLY got bad once they hit it really big with "Moves like Jagger". After that, their music got worse and worse. That Cardi B song they did is fucking awful.

by Anonymousreply 97January 12, 2020 10:51 PM

MOR bands are the worst--The Eagles, Coldplay, Maroon 5, etc.

by Anonymousreply 98January 12, 2020 10:51 PM

Beyonce owns this fucking thread.

by Anonymousreply 99January 12, 2020 10:57 PM

Almost all of the artists who are doing amazingly on Spotify--Queen, Ariana Grande, Drake, ED FUCKING SHEERAN, Sam Smith, Demi Lovato, Red hot Chili Peppers (how many dumb, empty songs about California can you sing), Maroon 5, etc.

by Anonymousreply 100January 12, 2020 10:57 PM

Billie Eilish sucks.

Jewel

Mariah Carey

Taylor Swift

Eminem

Cunts. All of them.

by Anonymousreply 101January 12, 2020 11:01 PM

Nirvana, They were ok but Cobain was nothing special.

by Anonymousreply 102January 12, 2020 11:04 PM

Agree with Maroon 5. They suck and Adam Levine is a douche

by Anonymousreply 103January 12, 2020 11:05 PM

Billie Eilish is just a Lorde clone with a worse mumbling voice.

by Anonymousreply 104January 13, 2020 5:40 AM

Fuck Joni Mitchell

by Anonymousreply 105January 13, 2020 5:43 AM

She's a less talented version of Lorde actually.

by Anonymousreply 106January 13, 2020 5:43 AM

R105 that's an unpopular opinion. What's wrong with her?

by Anonymousreply 107January 13, 2020 5:46 AM

I like some of their songs but U2 and Bono, for a while it seemed every single song they put out was awarded a fucking grammy.

by Anonymousreply 108January 13, 2020 6:02 AM

Madonnna, Beyonce and Kanye West all belong on this list.

by Anonymousreply 109January 13, 2020 6:07 AM

Now for underrated.

EN VOGUE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110January 13, 2020 6:37 AM

r110 Talented singers, mediocre music, no charisma

Evenly rated

by Anonymousreply 111January 13, 2020 6:54 AM

And Billie Eilish is now going to record the theme to the next Bond film.

by Anonymousreply 112January 13, 2020 11:48 AM

r54 I remember hearing about that, Beyonce singing Etta's signature song at Obama's inauguration wearing a similar hairstyle, with Etta sitting right there in the audience - unbelievable it was ever allowed to happen, completely tone deaf, I still can't bring myself to watch!

by Anonymousreply 113January 13, 2020 1:47 PM

The Rolling Stones

Queen is much better and they dknt get half the respect RS get. Freddie could outperform Prick Jagger.

by Anonymousreply 114January 13, 2020 1:58 PM

R114, I don't think that's true anymore. Queen is one of the most popular bands on spotify, they are as popular as bands hitting it big now. Bohemian Rhapsody did wonders to spread their popularity.

by Anonymousreply 115January 13, 2020 2:08 PM

Adding to R114 said...John Lennon said something about Mick Jagger along the lines of " he looks silly, prancing around onstage like a f*g". And he's right--the way Mick Jagger would try and act "gay" onstage was just embarrassing. I also have to laugh at the Rolling Stone's claims to be the biggest band in the world--they were never that. The Beatles destroyed them during the 60s and The Rolling Stones couldn't even touch them.

by Anonymousreply 116January 13, 2020 2:10 PM

on recent listening Jagger sounds obnoxiously poseurish, dated

by Anonymousreply 117January 13, 2020 2:10 PM

The Beatles jangly little ditties are annoying and babyish. That one about letting “you drive my car toot toot whoop a toot” and “Michelle my Belle”. Ugh. They are lauded as the greatest band of all time, and people are horrified if you don’t agree. They are just too precious.

by Anonymousreply 118January 13, 2020 2:11 PM

Eagles

Led Zeppelin

by Anonymousreply 119January 13, 2020 2:13 PM

R115, Queen's music is more popular, Sure. But Mercury didnt get any love from the media or the critics when he was alive. He was considered to not be as credible a rocker as Mick Jagger or the others.

He died with 0 respect.

by Anonymousreply 120January 13, 2020 2:19 PM

better not to have the respect of cretins

by Anonymousreply 121January 13, 2020 2:27 PM

R117, I always cringe when I listen to the intro to that "Everybody needs somebody to love" song.

by Anonymousreply 122January 13, 2020 2:33 PM

Of course the Beatles music was simple. It was original. Yes, I know it was also derived, but the package was new and was principle in launching a new Genre. Of course it would fail if it came out today.

It is like complaining about Jimmy Page's guitar playing. Sure, it was stolen from American Bluesmen, but there would have been no Stevie Ray Vaughn without it. Or Eddie Van Halen if that's your Flavor.

Its like calling Citizen Cain predictable.

by Anonymousreply 123January 13, 2020 2:42 PM

The Beatles took old American music and processed it to make it more palatable for teeny boppers.

by Anonymousreply 124January 13, 2020 3:07 PM

Queen. Boring group. What the fuck is with that Bohemian Rhapsody shit?

by Anonymousreply 125January 13, 2020 3:20 PM

U2 is a boring group. But Queen? Nope!

by Anonymousreply 126January 13, 2020 3:28 PM

Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 127January 13, 2020 3:30 PM

Queen may have been many things but they were never "boring"

by Anonymousreply 128January 13, 2020 3:31 PM

Lady Gaga after Born This Way owns this thread. Wait, you'd have to still be rated to apply, never mind.

by Anonymousreply 129January 13, 2020 3:32 PM

U2 and Queen boring? Context, people, context..

by Anonymousreply 130January 13, 2020 3:34 PM

I'm glad nobody mentioned me!

by Anonymousreply 131January 13, 2020 3:35 PM

Queen isn't boring but U2 definitely is

by Anonymousreply 132January 13, 2020 3:36 PM

That damn Stravinsky.

by Anonymousreply 133January 13, 2020 3:39 PM

Adele. i mean they gave her has an Oscar already for that unforgettable james bond song. her first nomination too. meanwhile Diane Warren hasn’t won even one yet in her million noms.

by Anonymousreply 134January 13, 2020 3:46 PM

U2 is now. When they came out, they were great. More for Edge's guitar playing than Bono's theatrics. It was a unique sound at the time.

I can talk about them personally, because I was there. I only knew the Beatles as has beens. It wasn't until I got my album collection built up rather extensively that I came to appreciate them.

Oh, why do I bother.

by Anonymousreply 135January 13, 2020 3:49 PM

*UN* Fuck Joni Mitchell, [R5].

by Anonymousreply 136January 13, 2020 3:57 PM

R135, as someone who was way too young to experience U2 when they were first starting out, you are 100% correct. The difference between a song like "New Years Day"(a classic) and "Beautiful Day"(banal shit) is sad.

by Anonymousreply 137January 13, 2020 3:58 PM

Well Thank you, R135.

But for the record, Bono is older than me. Not a whole lot, but enough, lol.

by Anonymousreply 138January 13, 2020 5:28 PM

Eminem sounds like an angry little boy

by Anonymousreply 139January 13, 2020 7:15 PM

TAYLOR SWIFT

DRAKE

POST BALONEY

by Anonymousreply 140January 13, 2020 7:37 PM

Beyonce for sure.

by Anonymousreply 141January 13, 2020 7:37 PM

Fleetwood Mac

by Anonymousreply 142January 13, 2020 10:09 PM

Agree with Fleetwood Mac

by Anonymousreply 143January 13, 2020 11:57 PM

I heard someone describe Fleetwood Mac as 'Starbucks music'.

by Anonymousreply 144January 14, 2020 12:25 AM

Michael Jackson

by Anonymousreply 145January 14, 2020 12:27 AM

Lizzo, Post Malone, Billie Eillish, JLO, One Republic, U2, Madonna, Rihanna, Taylor Swift

by Anonymousreply 146January 15, 2020 3:22 PM

r146 No one gives a shit about One Republic

by Anonymousreply 147January 15, 2020 3:26 PM

I feel like a big moment happened in western culture around 1990 where the wall between mainstream music and underground music was eradicated.

On one side of the wall was mainstream product created and hyped to make money (and yes it's fun and lovely, but not challenging or innovative) and on the other side of the wall was unusual stuff seemingly created by people who prioritized art and creativity (and yes it was packaged to see and make money in its own way, obviously). But there was a very clear distinction. And also not just in pop or rock music, but dance music, and music going back into history.

There were two distinct sides.

Now, that division doesn't exist. It's all one even playing field. Theoretically that would be a good thing. But its created a universal blandness. Younger generations don't seem to have an idea why an artist like Beyonce is considered less than a smaller more unusual artist that down't have millions of IG followers. What's most popular is what's the best. The end.

by Anonymousreply 148January 15, 2020 3:43 PM

"Sell" not "see"

by Anonymousreply 149January 15, 2020 3:44 PM

Yes R148. When I was younger, into punk and stuff, and going to dance clubs where you only heard underground dance music, we scoffed and laughed at mainstream artists. Even though these artists were successful and zillionares and on tv and the charts and magazines... we mocked them and laughed at them and never bought their music or participated. We laughed when people referred to them as "artists." No one wasted time talking about or arguing about the merits of mainstream "artists'" work. It was all a joke to us. And there were millions of us doing in around the globe, enjoying our own music and scenes, which were wildly vibrant. There was an underground.

Now, there's no underground.

by Anonymousreply 150January 15, 2020 3:53 PM

Madonna. Of course.

Rudimentary talent. Voracious ambition.

by Anonymousreply 151January 15, 2020 4:10 PM

Green Day. They are as punk rock as Backstreet Boys are.

by Anonymousreply 152January 15, 2020 4:30 PM

r150 You sound like the most annoying kind of person. I’m sad there’s no longer a place for annoying twats to fuck off together.

by Anonymousreply 153January 15, 2020 4:33 PM

R148 You can thank the Telecommunications Act of 1996 for that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154January 15, 2020 4:54 PM

Alluding to the direction that R148 has taken us, I remember a funny thing I heard during the 90s. Alternative music? Alternative to what?

by Anonymousreply 155January 15, 2020 5:02 PM

"Now, there's no underground. "

How would you know?

You're old and mainstream, like everyone here. You aren't invited to whatever underground scene there is today.

by Anonymousreply 156January 15, 2020 5:19 PM

Madonna

by Anonymousreply 157January 15, 2020 5:57 PM

Patti Smith--pretentious NYC "punk" music. If you want to understand why NYC punk (I'm not including New Wave in that) wasn't as good as West Coast or British punk, just look at Patti Smith.

by Anonymousreply 158January 15, 2020 7:51 PM

Chaka Khan

by Anonymousreply 159January 15, 2020 9:13 PM

Khan is underrated, if anything

by Anonymousreply 160January 15, 2020 9:36 PM

r160 Maybe if she wasn’t a fucking junkie for decades, people would rate her higher

by Anonymousreply 161January 15, 2020 9:38 PM

Amy Winehouse isn't overrated whatsoever. Other than that, I could name any random popular "pop star" for this.

by Anonymousreply 162January 15, 2020 9:48 PM

Amy Winehouse IS overrated. She only had one notable album that wasn't even THAT good. The fact that she died tragically means she will unfortunately be remembered for a while.

by Anonymousreply 163January 15, 2020 9:54 PM

[quote] I suspect that Prince is a fraud and had ghost musicians

That may be one of the dumbest things I’ve ever read on DL.

Prince’s songwriting and talent on multiple instruments is well documented. Pretty much all famous musicians have referred to him as a musical genius.

by Anonymousreply 164January 15, 2020 10:00 PM

Lawrence Welk's own Champagne Lady, Norma Zimmer! Sang it, Norma - sang it, girl.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165January 15, 2020 10:05 PM

that hair is fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 166January 15, 2020 10:21 PM

Madonna

by Anonymousreply 167January 16, 2020 8:23 AM

The more input McCartney had in the Beatles' songs, the more likely they were to be lightweight fluff.

by Anonymousreply 168January 16, 2020 1:27 PM

Paul's overbearing schoolmaster-ish ways became too much for the other three. Hence the reason, "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" wasn't used as a single for The White Album. And "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" had the other three just about round the twist. I'm sure there are other songs Paul drove them bonkers with, "I Will" being another one.

On that note of Paul M. I think he's great, but I also think "Revolver" is the best Beatles album. Sgt. Pepper is, in reality, Paul's first solo record, with the other three his session men. He more or less took over the manager position after Brian Epstein died. And that's what finally broke them up, not the artist from Japan.

I don't think it was Paul's goal to run the band. I just think he had more enthusiasm for keeping it going, whereas John and George were beyond fed up, and wanted to move in other directions. Ringo, I suspect was pliable. But it didn't help that Paul would walk or drive over to Abbey Road studios (it takes like ten minutes max to walk from his London home to Abbey Road) and overdub Ringo's drums on his songs.

by Anonymousreply 169January 16, 2020 2:31 PM

I agree about Prince. I don't care how many instruments he played. Beyond his greatest hits from the 1980s, just what did he accomplish? Name songs aside from the usual suspects. It's a pretty thin catalogue for a musical genius.

by Anonymousreply 170January 25, 2020 12:34 PM

OP has stated her boundaries! They disgust her!

by Anonymousreply 171January 25, 2020 1:19 PM

"Beyond his greatest hits from the 1980s"

Some bitches are NEVER satisfied. And what are your greatest hits, R170--from the 1980s or any other decade?

by Anonymousreply 172January 25, 2020 1:21 PM

Travis Scott, ABBA, Michael Jackson (the only good stuff he had was when Quincy Jones produced him), Maroon 5, Carly Jep (is that her name?) Sia, Ellish, Imagine Dragons.

by Anonymousreply 173January 25, 2020 1:40 PM

Mariah Carey. Most of her songs are just her doing vocal exercises to show off her 5 octaves and whistle register. And I never even liked her voice. That huskiness/breathiness sounds unhealthy to me, and I actually vaguely remember reading somewhere that her technique is an adaption to vocal cord nodules that she's had since she was a child.

I feel like even now, 25 years after her prime, female singers are trying to emulate her, and they end up 1. all sounding the same and 2. sounding inauthentic and mannered.

by Anonymousreply 174January 25, 2020 1:57 PM

Everyone connected with Lawrence Welk was overrated, except the great Jo-Ann Castle. She was out there the first time she appeared on the show when she was still a teenager and she stayed out there until they carried out decades later, broken and in tears.

Plus, they redecorated her piano for every performance. You can't possibly overrate that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175January 25, 2020 2:04 PM

"Everyone connected with Lawrence Welk was overrated"

One of the unintentionally funnier statements on DL.

by Anonymousreply 176January 25, 2020 2:06 PM

I’d say Mariah Carey who has Mediocre voice and talents and not musically evolved since she started out. She’s a fucking bore n no wonder her tours are always a major flop. Whitney n Celine are far better singers n entertainers,

by Anonymousreply 177January 25, 2020 2:43 PM

From my teenage years: The Offspring, Green Day and Nirvana. I never quite got the appeal of these bands.

by Anonymousreply 178January 25, 2020 2:45 PM

[R176] Going to say the same thing! Classic DLEG right out the musty DLEG vault.

by Anonymousreply 179January 25, 2020 4:03 PM

R178 Don't put Nirvana in the same sentence with those shit bands

by Anonymousreply 180January 25, 2020 4:51 PM

Joan Jett.

by Anonymousreply 181January 25, 2020 4:52 PM

Sorry, but Jose Carreras. Having cancer as a young man just getting started in music became a lucky career break for him. NO WAY was in the same league with Pavarotti and Domingo.

by Anonymousreply 182January 25, 2020 4:55 PM

Can't stand Nirvana.

by Anonymousreply 183January 25, 2020 4:56 PM

If anything, Nirvana is underrated. Mostly cause they were grouped with those shitty mainstream bands they have nothing in common with, like Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins. And cause of all the cringe-y fanboys. Oh yeah, cause D. Grohl is such a douche

by Anonymousreply 184January 25, 2020 5:05 PM

I don't think either Pearl Jam or Smashing Pumpkins were shitty (At their best). Pearl Jam definitely evolved musically--grunge wasn't their best look. If you want truly shitty "alternative" bands, you have Bush, Collective Soul, etc. That song "Shine" was when it was obvious alternative was just a buzzword.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185January 25, 2020 6:04 PM

Grunge is the most overrated kind of music of the last 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 186January 25, 2020 6:05 PM

Nipsey Hussle. Way overrated. People act like he's a Kenya another idiot

by Anonymousreply 187January 25, 2020 6:10 PM

The Partridge Family. I'm not sure all of them sang and I don't think they played instruments.

by Anonymousreply 188January 25, 2020 6:20 PM

SMDH at the taste-deprived fools adding Prince to this list. Respect the man who wrote Sugar Walls you cunts!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189January 25, 2020 6:24 PM

That is pure crap, R189. That is so laughably 80s, it's painful, synthesizer included. But, hey, seeing Sheena Easton breathily sing "your private spot" and then pop her eyes wide was worth a chuckle.

by Anonymousreply 190January 25, 2020 7:09 PM

Prince. His albums were loaded with SO MUCH filler. His hits were good and still hold up. But compare his albums to queen albums. Freddie and Co have absolutely no filler tracks.

by Anonymousreply 191January 25, 2020 11:32 PM

I was going to say how little I care for Freddie Mercury or Queen.

by Anonymousreply 192January 25, 2020 11:46 PM

Well, I think everybody knows what time it is when this one gets played!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193January 26, 2020 1:38 AM

Kate Bush. And also Peter Gabriel. Who fucking cares.

by Anonymousreply 194January 26, 2020 1:46 AM

Did Prince ever diversify? All his songs sound the same and have the same drum rhythms and synthesizers

by Anonymousreply 195January 26, 2020 1:47 AM

And especially this one!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196January 26, 2020 1:48 AM

Justin Bieber has been hugely overrated since his career was launched. As a singer he is not very talented, there are many guys his age who are far better. It's all about hype, PR, image. His tweeniebopper fans are moronic robots. Worst of all is he's a horrible person. Sleazy and full of himself. A big phony.

by Anonymousreply 197January 26, 2020 2:06 AM

R297 but man he had a beautiful body til the tats came in

by Anonymousreply 198January 26, 2020 8:51 AM

R197 I don't buy his PR backstory at all.

by Anonymousreply 199January 26, 2020 3:01 PM

No one "rates" Justin Bieber. He's a joke.

by Anonymousreply 200January 26, 2020 5:17 PM

This turd who bought all her #1 singles by discounting them to $.0.39 😂

No wonder nobody in the industry has taken this whale seriously

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201January 26, 2020 5:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!