Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker is the best portrayal of the villain yet

He was stunning. Dark, sexy, disturbing, nauseating, frightening... I loved how infused his performance with a little Katherine Hepburn, too, especially during the final act.

Just breathtaking work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69January 19, 2020 9:36 PM

I did not like Heath Ledger in his role as “Joker”.

by Anonymousreply 1January 12, 2020 3:48 AM

Ledger was awesome as Joker but the other 90% of the movie sucked. Maggot Gyllenhaal as the object of two hot men's desires? Never. Bale sucked as Batman.

by Anonymousreply 2January 12, 2020 3:50 AM

Maggot

by Anonymousreply 3January 12, 2020 3:52 AM

Really? I didn't think it was so great, he just played one-note "crazy" from start to finish.

It was all mood and art direction, and not satisfying to me. Deluxe hambonery, if you ask me!

by Anonymousreply 4January 12, 2020 5:03 AM

I hated this movie. Give me Cesar Romero any day.

by Anonymousreply 5January 12, 2020 5:08 AM

R5 No.

by Anonymousreply 6January 12, 2020 6:36 PM

An iconic performance

by Anonymousreply 7January 12, 2020 6:42 PM

I don't have any interest in comic books, so I haven't watched any other of the Batman character movies. But I was blown away by Joaquin's Joker. I rented it after seeing him accept the GG award. I had no expectations; but wow, he did a fantastic job.

by Anonymousreply 8January 12, 2020 7:03 PM

I'll take your word for it, OP.

by Anonymousreply 9January 12, 2020 7:06 PM

R9 Just tent the damn thing.

At the very least, it’s very entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 10January 13, 2020 6:11 AM

Joaquin is a gifted actor. It would have been stronger had the violence been left to the imagination in a Hitchcock type of fashion. Just hearing screaming and not seeing it, save for some blood drops could have been more mysterious and chilling.

Never once did I think I am watching Joaquin Phoenix act. I thought I was really witnessing a man break down. In a podcast with his sisters he said he went another way, acting wise, before changing it to this character we see in the movie. I wonder what that original attempt was like.

by Anonymousreply 11January 13, 2020 6:32 AM

I wonder if he clings to his brother when he acts. He brother told him he was going to be an actor. If he acts to connect to him.

by Anonymousreply 12January 13, 2020 6:34 AM

I do think it's one of the greatest performances I have seen in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 13January 13, 2020 6:35 AM

R11 The violence wasn’t gratuitous, though. From the hype I expected much more gore and brutality.

The two most violent scenes are meant to symbolize the two-step final transformation of Arthur into...

THE JOKER.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 13, 2020 6:37 AM

[quote]Maggot Gyllenhaal as the object of two hot men's desires?

Never forget the poster who said he heard laughter in the theater after the "Hello, beautiful" line.

by Anonymousreply 15January 13, 2020 7:29 AM

I love Maggie!

by Anonymousreply 16January 13, 2020 8:27 AM

Phenomenal and legendary!! Even M won't be able to top that.

by Anonymousreply 17January 13, 2020 9:08 AM

I want daddy to win Oscah!

by Anonymousreply 18January 13, 2020 9:46 AM

Damn, why did you post that gif and spoil the movie, OP and R14? You ruined the shock and surprise of that scene for me. Now I will just be expecting it instead of being shocked as intended.

by Anonymousreply 19January 13, 2020 10:17 AM

R19 Boohoofuckinghoo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 13, 2020 10:50 AM

I don't know..the last bit the Joker sounded like Paul Lynde

by Anonymousreply 21January 13, 2020 11:36 AM

I rented Joker yesterday and when it was over I was thinking, "is THAT it?" The #1 R-rated movie of all time? I thought there'd be a little more to the film than that. Watching Joaquin laugh for nearly two hours and descending into madness was not a fun ride.

by Anonymousreply 22January 13, 2020 12:39 PM

Yeah, the subhuman scum who posted that gif spoiled the entire fucking movie.

by Anonymousreply 23January 16, 2020 5:40 AM

R22 it wasn't written to be a fun ride, it's a dark gritty character study of a disturbed individual who wasn't treated for mental illness and the snowball effect it has society. Very realistic, too. Mental illness is the single largest contributor to society's ills. Not guns, not drugs, but the deranged among us are the problem. Joker perfectly encompasses that concept. Treat mental illness, and society gets better. Too bad we closed all the mental hospitals, right?

by Anonymousreply 24January 16, 2020 6:10 AM

To me, there's no comparison between the Heath and Joaquin. I think both did an absolutely fantastic job with the Joker. The reason why is because to me, Joaquin's journey is Pre-Joker, while Heath is Post-Joker.

It'll be interesting to see if Warner Bros actually does make a sequel to see what Joaquin does with a Post-Joker character, but the possibility if fucking it up is too high. Best to leave on a high note imo.

by Anonymousreply 25January 16, 2020 6:14 AM

My favorite used to be Nicholson. New ranking...

1. Phoenix 2. Nicholson 3. Ledger

To be fair, I think all three are incomparably brilliant and deserve Oscars for their Jokers.

by Anonymousreply 26January 16, 2020 7:28 AM

I liked the gay joker, Cesar Romero.

by Anonymousreply 27January 16, 2020 9:50 AM

Not a film for me. Superheroes/villains. "A descent into madness." Warner-Brothers does "Darkness." Comparisons to Nicholson and Ledger (can Johnny Depp and Leo diCaprio be far behind?) It's cheap, showy shit for the masses who don't know better, who wouldn't know that the best acting is not this full-tilt "craft" shit.

by Anonymousreply 28January 16, 2020 10:10 AM

Oookay, so, anyways...

JP is getting Oscah!

by Anonymousreply 29January 16, 2020 4:03 PM

It must feel so good to have tastes that are so much more artistically refined than the unwashed masses, doesn't it R28? Please, tell us more about why your opinion is vastly superior to the Academy and millions of other people?

by Anonymousreply 30January 16, 2020 4:08 PM

Simplistic and predictable. Not Oscar worthy.

by Anonymousreply 31January 16, 2020 4:11 PM

The OP must be Joaquin Phoenix's agent. Heath Ledger's performance as as the Joker is infinitely superior to that of Phoenix. So much more deserving of the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 32January 16, 2020 4:14 PM

Sick of people treating this boring comic book movie like Todd Phillips is Kubrick reincarnated. It's a shitty movie with all the depth of a kiddie pool.

by Anonymousreply 33January 16, 2020 4:15 PM

R32 No.

by Anonymousreply 34January 16, 2020 4:15 PM

R34 Yes. Nobody could top Heath Ledger's performance. It was perfection.

by Anonymousreply 35January 16, 2020 6:37 PM

JP was better than Ledger, who was also brilliant.

JP’s is the first performance to basically tip a hat to all of the film incarnations, including Ledger’s, whilst also giving the most accurate portrayal of the comic book iteration(s).

He was gritty, frightening, heartbreaking perfection.

by Anonymousreply 36January 17, 2020 5:49 AM

Pity the script was trite and simplistic!

by Anonymousreply 37January 17, 2020 9:24 AM

It was wonderful goddammit!

by Anonymousreply 38January 19, 2020 2:43 AM

He was the only good thing about this otherwise mediocre and shamelessly thieving comic book film.

by Anonymousreply 39January 19, 2020 2:46 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Glad it is being rereleased in theaters

by Anonymousreply 40January 19, 2020 2:56 AM

They took a lot of inspiration from The Last Joke

by Anonymousreply 41January 19, 2020 2:59 AM

I agree. I think the director failed to capitalize fully on his performance in some scenes, especially in the final act. It fell a bit flat for me, not because of Joaquin, but because of the directing and editing. And I think they should have left the Batman origin vignette, where his parents are killed in front of him, out. That scene felt painfully intrusive and was unnecessary since it's a film about Joker, not Batman.

by Anonymousreply 42January 19, 2020 3:05 AM

If DC was smart they'd focus more on Batman's villains, but... alas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 19, 2020 3:06 AM

Joaquin Phoenix has never, never, not once in his life, ever played a role where he was "sexy." His Joker is repulsive, stupid, annoying, pathetic, unlike the performance of Heath Ledger, whose depiction of the character was terrifying, exciting, funny, and indeed oddly sexy.

by Anonymousreply 44January 19, 2020 3:07 AM

Joaquin's Joker bored me. We don't need an explanation on how the Joker came to be, the thing that makes the character both interesting and terrifying is that we don't know his origins and that he has no reason to do the things he does. He does horrible, awful things just because he can. To make The Joker a loser who commits crimes because he hates society takes what makes the character great away from him. Joaquin isn't playing the Joker, he's playing Rupert Pupkin. Despite that audiences eat it up, because even if the movie doesn't stick to the comic source material but isn't interesting enough to be a standalone property, they'll watch anything with a DC or Marvel label stamped onto it. We hunger for recycled stories.

by Anonymousreply 45January 19, 2020 3:12 AM

I watched the interview on 60 Minutes and I thought his performance as the Joker was indulgent based on what they showed on TV.

by Anonymousreply 46January 19, 2020 3:15 AM

R42 I agree about the vignette. It felt a little forced.

Honestly, I wish they would maintained the production as is except they should’ve just adapted The Last Joke storyline.

by Anonymousreply 47January 19, 2020 3:21 AM

But his speech about the calla lilies was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 48January 19, 2020 3:24 AM

[quote] And I think they should have left the Batman origin vignette, where his parents are killed in front of him, out. That scene felt painfully intrusive and was unnecessary since it's a film about Joker, not Batman.

It worked for me. It cements, to me, the idea that Arthur Fleck isn't the Joker. He inspired the chaos and anarchy that led someone to target the Waynes. Like Batman is a symbol, Joker becomes a symbol.

by Anonymousreply 49January 19, 2020 3:27 AM

R49 See, now I like it.

by Anonymousreply 50January 19, 2020 3:30 AM

R47 I'm not that into comic-book movies, or into comic books... but DC has such an embarrassment of riches when it comes to Batman's storylines in the comic books. Imaging if they had done a preceding Batman film with a proper introduction to Barbara Gordon/Batgirl and THEN adapted The Killing Joke!!!!!

Of course, they're also excluding Barabra Gordon/Oracle from the dumb as shit Birds of Prey movie. This upsets me more than I should!!!

It's like DC is so embarrassed by the campy nature of the previous films/tv show that we can't have fun villains or heroes!!! It's fucking Alicia Silverstone's fault, isn't it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51January 19, 2020 3:34 AM

I KNEW I wasn’t using the correct title but was too lazy to do a search. Thanks for being sweetly stealth about correcting me, R51, lol.

I agree, DC has some AMAZING Batman storylines, including those centered around his rogues gallery. I like your idea about including Batgirl and her storyline. Would be riveting and a juicy role for an actress.

Has it already been made clear that this film is going to tie into the upcoming Batman reboot or am I just assuming that?

One storyline I wish they’d adapt as a two-parter is The Long Halloween. That could be so fucking amazing.

by Anonymousreply 52January 19, 2020 3:51 AM

[quote]Has it already been made clear that this film is going to tie into the upcoming Batman reboot or am I just assuming that?

Joker is a standalone and won't be connected to the reboot.

[quote]One storyline I wish they’d adapt as a two-parter is The Long Halloween. That could be so fucking amazing.

With all The Riddler, The Penguin and Carmine Falconi being in The Batman with Robert Pattinson I assume they're going to do The Long Halloween.

by Anonymousreply 53January 19, 2020 4:05 AM

R53 Ah, thanks for the clarifying tidbits.

I still think they’ll find a way to connect the films. We’ll see.

by Anonymousreply 54January 19, 2020 4:09 AM

R52 Haha, no worries about the correction.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again, I think DC would be smart to include Poison Ivy as a villain (or perhaps an antihero) in a film soon. She fits in so well with the current discussion on climate change/environmentalism/conservation. Imagine if Wayne Enterprises were responsible for some sort of environmental catastrophe, Poison Ivy would lose her shit and go after Bruce!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55January 19, 2020 4:16 AM

I’m confused about this movie. Is “Joker” supposed to be the same Joker from Batman? It so, are any of the other Batman characters referenced in the movie? And lastly, is this supposed to be a horror movie? As someone who has never watch any Batman movies but has heard of Joker, this is very confusing.

by Anonymousreply 56January 19, 2020 4:17 AM

I LOVE THAT, R55.

Very fuckin’ good!

by Anonymousreply 57January 19, 2020 4:18 AM

They change who his parents were killed by in each film. In one movie in the 90s it was Penguin, then Harvey yada yada yada

by Anonymousreply 58January 19, 2020 4:26 AM

R56 Well, it's been debated whether "The Joker" in the movie is the REAL Joker. It is a horror movie? No, I wouldn't say so.

by Anonymousreply 59January 19, 2020 4:31 AM

I guess the Joker was the movie Zach Snyder wished he made with wooden Henry Cavill and I'm sure Cavill wished he was in that film too.

by Anonymousreply 60January 19, 2020 4:39 AM

People say it isn't a comic book movie, but it's a comic book movie. It might not have big CGI battles but it's set in a comic book universe in a comic book city and features comic book characters.

by Anonymousreply 61January 19, 2020 5:10 AM

I think people are saying it isn't a comic book film to separate it from the previous DC Cinematic Universe films, which have been god-awful. Who can blame them?

by Anonymousreply 62January 19, 2020 5:13 AM

People can call it art all they want, that won't change the big fuckin' DC logo on the poster. If this wins Best Picture or any other important Oscar I'm never seeing another film in theaters again.

by Anonymousreply 63January 19, 2020 5:17 AM

I don't view it as a comic book film. To me it's a gritty drama like "King of Comedy" and "Taxi Driver". I don't consider "Logan" a comic book film as it is more grounded than the other X-Men and Wolverine films.

Same with films based on graphic novels like "Ghost World", and "V for Vendetta".

by Anonymousreply 64January 19, 2020 5:29 AM

R64 Ripping off Scorsese films doesn't make it a Scorsese film. It's still a DC property, about a DC character, set in Gotham City and featuring characters like Batman. It's a comic book movie, even if the dumber among us see it as a gritty art film. The people that see this movie as comparable to movies like Ghost World are the people who keep actors like Adam Sandler and Kevin James rolling in money. They are the people who laughed at Paul Blart: Mall Cop.

by Anonymousreply 65January 19, 2020 5:36 AM

The fact that this is some people's idea of "cinema" depresses me, but the fact that those people tend to be the same people who think Olive Garden and The Cheesecake Factory are fine dining renders that depression moot.

by Anonymousreply 66January 19, 2020 5:40 AM

* S P O I L E R*******

I think it was all in his mind- he imagined Zazee as his girfriend, those bloody footprints at the end- he never left Arkham. That's how he never killed the Waynes and how DC can explain how he's different than Leto's Joker- because he's not the "real" one.

by Anonymousreply 67January 19, 2020 12:48 PM

Yes, R56, in a scene at the end, a young Bruce Wayne see his parents get shot in an alley. There seems to be a bigger age difference between the future Batman and his villain in this universe.

by Anonymousreply 68January 19, 2020 2:04 PM

I'm looking forward to the movie that has the superhero turn to the bad guy and say, hey you know what? You need mental help. Me beating you up is just redundant at this point given what you've gone through in your life. In fact all the beatings in childhood caused that.

Then the superhero removes his mask and it's Jesus. They hug and the villian gets his meds and learns kindness.

by Anonymousreply 69January 19, 2020 9:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!