Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Iranians shot down Ukrainian jetliner, at least 63 Canadians Dead

From AP News.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, whose country lost at least 63 citizens in the downing, said in Toronto: “We have intelligence from multiple sources including our allies and our own intelligence. The evidence indicates that the plane was shot down by an Iranian surface-to-air missile.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 11, 2020 5:08 PM

At least we know why the Iranians are standing down... for now.

by Anonymousreply 1January 9, 2020 9:53 PM

They were bitter that the US mistakenly shot down their passenger jet. And here we are. The US paid the families, for this sad event.

Thank God there weren’t Americans on it or Trump would have done something crazy.

by Anonymousreply 2January 9, 2020 10:02 PM

^Though sorry for the Canadians and others, of course. They just don’t have an insane leader.

by Anonymousreply 3January 9, 2020 10:10 PM

As if we have never shot down one of our own planes. I thinkitha. Opened twice.

by Anonymousreply 4January 9, 2020 10:13 PM

WE KNOW

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 9, 2020 10:15 PM

WE KNOW

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 9, 2020 10:15 PM

Not that I think Trump is solely responsible for this but doesn’t he bear some responsibility for stirring this shit up, provoking otherwise unnecessary military action from Iran. And I’m assuming he’s made no statement of sympathy to Canada yet, right?

Also, what a terrible very bad day it was for Iran yesterday: national funeral, military strikes, earthquakes and now this. The country must be reeling.

by Anonymousreply 7January 9, 2020 10:28 PM

What is R2 saying?

by Anonymousreply 8January 9, 2020 10:30 PM

Oh NO, I hope his eyebrows don't fall off again :(

by Anonymousreply 9January 9, 2020 11:07 PM

There was that Korean passenger jet In the 1980s that flew over Soviet territory in the Eastern USSR. My guess is the CIA was taking pictures. The Reds shot it down, if you forget. Very sad.

It was a weird time. I worked for a submarine construction yard and could not go to Russia. I have a playful picture of me with my foot across the Soviet Embassy property line in Washington, DC, taken then.

by Anonymousreply 10January 9, 2020 11:12 PM

This is absolutely on Trump. If he hadn't ordered the hit on that Iranian asshole, there would have been no missiles in the sky to hit that airliner. Presidementia will never even make that connection, though, and wouldn't feel any remorse if he did.

by Anonymousreply 11January 9, 2020 11:19 PM

You. Have. Been. Played. People.

by Anonymousreply 12January 9, 2020 11:29 PM

R11, I see your point, but I think it’s a stretch. There were a lot of decision points and off ramps before the flight and decision to fire.

by Anonymousreply 13January 9, 2020 11:54 PM

No, Trump does not bear ANY responsibility for this. The Iranians deliberately shot down an obviously marked civilian aircraft.

by Anonymousreply 14January 10, 2020 12:11 AM

I don’t think they shot it down deliberately. It was a mistake, because the Iranians are incompetent.

by Anonymousreply 15January 10, 2020 12:19 AM

[quote]Also, what a terrible very bad day it was for Iran yesterday: national funeral, military strikes, earthquakes and now this. The country must be reeling.

Poor Iran. Maybe they could stop participating in terrorism and they might have some better days.

by Anonymousreply 16January 10, 2020 12:20 AM

Why were there so many Canadians in Iran? Don’t they know better than to go to a terrorist nation like Iran?

by Anonymousreply 17January 10, 2020 12:24 AM

Limited options to visit loved ones is what led so many Canadian residents to fly on Ukraine International Airlines flights — including one that crashed in Iran earlier this week.

Younes Zangiabadi, research director of the Iranian-Canadian Congress, explained to Global News Radio that sanctions imposed on Iran left few travel options, and even fewer cost-friendly ones.

“This had many, many Canadians on that flight. This is unfortunate because there are not many options available for Iranian-Canadians to choose to go and see their family and friends,” Zangiabadi told Global News 640 Toronto.

He said this is largely because of sanctions imposed by U.S. President Donald Trump.

“Major airlines no longer work with Iran, including Air France, British Airways, KLM, you name it,” Zangiabadi said.

While there are other options for Canadian residents, such as Turkish Airlines, Zangiabadi noted they are much more costly.

“This was the most affordable one — that’s why you see so many students on that flight,” he said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 10, 2020 12:46 AM

this flight makes direct connections in Kiev to another UIA flight to Toronto

by Anonymousreply 19January 10, 2020 12:54 AM

It doesn't make sense that any western airline would travel to Tehran, even from Ukraine. There should be a ban on civil aviation between Iran and western countries.

by Anonymousreply 20January 10, 2020 12:57 AM

Lufthansa German airlines just turned its flight 600 to Tehran around in midair and is having it return to Frankfurt.

The few respectable airlines like Lufthansa that were still operating flights to Iran are no longer going to do so because it is so unsafe.

The asshole Iranians can’t even blame it on sanctions. It’s like they’ve sanctioned themselves by shooting down one of the few passenger flights that operates there. I hope they lose all commercial air service.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 10, 2020 1:01 AM

This shit is absolutely bonkers to me, but Im glad international warfare hasn't broken out, yet. Lord knows we would be headed to war tonight if there were Americans on the flight.

Personally I would have to be pulled kicking a screaming onto a flight out of a country that just engaged in missile combat just hours before. Bitch, there aint no way Im getting on that plane!

by Anonymousreply 22January 10, 2020 1:30 AM

18 reasons why you need to vacation in sunny Iran!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 10, 2020 3:37 AM

Oops-kie?

by Anonymousreply 24January 10, 2020 3:49 AM

Last I heard, the black box will not be turned over to the United States. Typically it's sent to the NTSB who are trained to analyze the data. Primarily to determine the cause(s) of the crash. Secondarily, to see what it can advise the FAA about, if it's an inherent safety issue hitherto unknown.

Whoever decided Iran was not going to follow precedent and hand over the box fails to take into account that this crash isn't just Iran's problem. What's been occurring to me is if Iran will refuse to return the remains of the Canadians. I reckon if the Iranian officials responsible for the process of returning the remains of a foreign national who lost their life on Iranian soil, that Canada will see their golden boy Justin step up to the plate and kick some ass.

by Anonymousreply 25January 10, 2020 5:52 AM

[quote]Why were there so many Canadians in Iran? Don’t they know better than to go to a terrorist nation like Iran?

I think they were mostly Iranian Canadians who were visiting family.

by Anonymousreply 26January 10, 2020 8:24 AM

So it looks like Iran just violently killed a large group of Canadian citizens. How will Trudeau respond?

by Anonymousreply 27January 10, 2020 11:30 AM

Iran needs to turn that black box over to the United States. Boeing needs to investigate the cause since the lying Iranians were so quick to blame the crash on a mechanical failure.

by Anonymousreply 28January 10, 2020 11:31 AM

Control the black box, control the narrative.

by Anonymousreply 29January 10, 2020 11:41 AM

[quote]How will Trudeau respond?

Smile vapidly, say nothing. He well and truly learned to keep his mouth shut after his collosal blunder criticising the Sauds.

by Anonymousreply 30January 10, 2020 11:45 AM

Families of Iran plane crash victims face few legal options: lawyer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 10, 2020 11:50 AM

[quote]Canada will see their golden boy Justin step up to the plate and kick some ass.

Trudeau will apologize for being a white male.

by Anonymousreply 32January 10, 2020 11:56 AM

Black Box found.................... due to late passenger boarding, flight did not ride on time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 10, 2020 12:06 PM

I think Trudeau will rock a veil better than Horse Teeth Titicaca Te Kanawa?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 10, 2020 12:10 PM

It’s official. Confirmed by Iran that they shot it down.

by Anonymousreply 35January 11, 2020 4:44 PM

Link to press conference.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 11, 2020 5:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!