Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are veneers worth it?

I'm trying to find a doctor that does natural-looking veneers but so many look like blindingly white tombstones. Any advice from the DL? Particularly for someone living in L.A.?

by Anonymousreply 107February 23, 2020 10:36 AM

Just Superglue some Chic-Lets to your teeth to see how veneers will look.

by Anonymousreply 1January 7, 2020 10:15 PM

Pre glued press-on nails work too plus there are more options than white.

by Anonymousreply 2January 7, 2020 10:23 PM

William Belli told them to make them look a step above smokers teeth so they wouldn't look so fake. They did it.

by Anonymousreply 3January 7, 2020 10:30 PM

Willam

by Anonymousreply 4January 7, 2020 10:30 PM

OP, you pick the color. Usually they try to match what color your teeth are that are going to be next to the veneers.

by Anonymousreply 5January 7, 2020 10:34 PM

They're not worth it. They never look natural, make your mouth smell and always have a fear of them falling off.

by Anonymousreply 6January 7, 2020 10:48 PM

Don't use a Water Pik.

by Anonymousreply 7January 7, 2020 11:00 PM

They’re worth it. You can pick the color, as another poster said. Just don’t get blue-white like so many idiots do.

by Anonymousreply 8January 7, 2020 11:05 PM

Mine were presented (onscreen - I didn't go to Philadelphia and smile at them) at a dental convention by the HDS Fellow who did 'em for just that reason: I didn't want to look like an anchorman with blindingly white teeth because they look so fake.

She did a good job, too. Told me to expect seven to ten years with them before they had to be replaced. It's been seventeen years so far.

by Anonymousreply 9January 7, 2020 11:14 PM

Veneers are like a toupee for your mouth.

by Anonymousreply 10January 7, 2020 11:29 PM

What makes them smell?

by Anonymousreply 11January 7, 2020 11:36 PM

WWIII is starting and you are worried about your ugly teeth???!!!

by Anonymousreply 12January 7, 2020 11:38 PM

You need to do ALL your teeth for them to look right, not just the ones that show

by Anonymousreply 13January 7, 2020 11:40 PM

R11, the cement

by Anonymousreply 14January 7, 2020 11:50 PM

You haven't posted a photo of your teeth, but unless they looks REALLY bad I'd say, don't do it.

I actually think tooth gaps or slightly crooked teeth can be rather cute.

by Anonymousreply 15January 8, 2020 12:10 AM

[quote] unless they looks REALLY bad

Don't say it. Why doesn't DL have an edit button?

Anyway, I'm just gonna use this an excuse to repeat myself: don't do it OP, unless your mouth is a complete train wreck.

by Anonymousreply 16January 8, 2020 12:17 AM

Can veneers easily be removed if you don't like the way they look? Or is it a difficult (and expensive) procedure?

by Anonymousreply 17January 8, 2020 12:21 AM

One of the employees at my dentist office is having a veneer for a tooth that is too small. I would have had it pulled and an implant put in.

by Anonymousreply 18January 8, 2020 12:22 AM

Once you have veneers R17 there is no going back. The veneer is taking place of the enamel on your tooth.

by Anonymousreply 19January 8, 2020 12:24 AM

Lowenburg and Lituchy in Manhattan have done everyone’s teeth who’s someone it seems . Very expensive but very natural. Not sure if their west coast equivalent.

by Anonymousreply 20January 8, 2020 12:28 AM

I got teeth whitening a couple of weeks ago and it was one of the most painful dental experiences ever. I had no idea and if I knew the level of discomfort I would not have had them done.

by Anonymousreply 21January 8, 2020 12:29 AM

If your teeth are bad enough, you might want to consider just getting them all crowned. I did that. One of the most stressful decisions of my life; I spent many sleepless nights wondering if I was making the right choice. (I used to grind my teeth, which wore them down, and I had an acute problem that caused my gums to grown precipitously.). The "new teeth" have changed my life.

by Anonymousreply 22January 8, 2020 12:32 AM

Thanks, R19. That's pretty scary!

by Anonymousreply 23January 8, 2020 12:38 AM

One night some years ago, I was fucking my partner. He was face down, literally biting the bed pillow. All of a sudden, he shrieked. TWO veneers had popped off.

It cost a few grand to repair that damage. A very expensive fuck, indeed.

Don't get veneers, OP

by Anonymousreply 24January 8, 2020 12:41 AM

R24, don’t be too hasty; maybe OP is a top.

by Anonymousreply 25January 8, 2020 12:51 AM

What if you lose a veneer during your sleep and swallow it? Or inhale it? Has anyone ever choked to death on a veneer?

I bet there have been people who shat out lost veneers.

by Anonymousreply 26January 8, 2020 12:51 AM

Ask one of the drag queens from Ru Paul's Drag Race. They're always getting veneers after they appear on the show. Some with more success than others.

by Anonymousreply 27January 8, 2020 1:13 AM

What are the costs for veneers and I assume it is just for the front teeth?

by Anonymousreply 28January 8, 2020 12:46 PM

Get the top two done with a full cap or a crown that wraps around the whole tooth as opposed to just a veneer which is like a press-on nail. The two top front teeth when veneers always pop off.

by Anonymousreply 29January 8, 2020 2:23 PM

OP, ignore R29. If you only have two teeth on top, don't even bother with veneers. That is not going to help. Not at all.

by Anonymousreply 30January 8, 2020 2:27 PM

I don’t understand - you chip off your own functioning teeth and replace them/cover them!?!? Basically get dentures at 30 so you can have pretty teeth !?! You people are sick.

by Anonymousreply 31January 8, 2020 3:48 PM

Miley cyrus looks like a miniature horse after she got hers. I wouldn't recommend it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 8, 2020 3:52 PM

Appreciated the comment about crowns, which I am debating. My four teeth in front have been bonded several times. My dentist said any further bonding would not really help that much aesthetically . Also, he said a better and permanent solution is crowns .

My from four bottom teeth are compromised and I have a wire behind them to prevent them from coming out. Ecch

Dentist said this is another reason to crown.

Can’t afford to do it all at once; will have to do in stages.

Thoughts ? In my sixties; modeling days are over

by Anonymousreply 33January 8, 2020 4:02 PM

Just about anything can be done if you have the money. Unfortunately dental work is expensive. So the upper teeth you are going for aesthetics and the bottom are because they are loose. I would take care of the bottom teeth first. Sounds like you going to have to have those teeth pulled and a bridge or see if he can do a bone graft for your bottom teeth. If he says I would go for a second opinion.

by Anonymousreply 34January 8, 2020 4:15 PM

Veneers are strictly for professional on-air or insta. Those ppl need the extra size and dazzle. IRL veneers look fake They do look like chiclets, as someone said.

According to my dentist, anyway.

Teeth whitening is the way to go. Get the mold made, put in the goop, go to sleep, and wake up the next day with new teeth. You do it a few times. It’s annoying to do, but great results.

by Anonymousreply 35January 8, 2020 4:19 PM

The whitening process described above did not whiten my teeth. It began to make them translucent. Huge waste of time, money and effort. It took a while before they put themselves back to their previous dull and exciting off-white.

by Anonymousreply 36January 8, 2020 4:28 PM

Your enamel is semi-translucent R36.

by Anonymousreply 37January 8, 2020 4:33 PM

Can veneers help if you have large gaps between your front teeth?

by Anonymousreply 38January 8, 2020 4:34 PM

Yes R38.

by Anonymousreply 39January 8, 2020 4:35 PM

More than merely "semi" when using that whitening protocol, R37. More than ordinarily translucent.

by Anonymousreply 40January 8, 2020 5:00 PM

If you're already in your 60s, why does it matter? I'm not saying that like your end is near, I'm just saying you've lived with them this long, is this truly a priority? When you're on your deathbed, will you think "I sure am glad I spent all that money on veneers?" I dunno.

by Anonymousreply 41January 8, 2020 5:07 PM

However...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42January 8, 2020 5:08 PM

In many, if not most, cases, you have to have your natural teeth filed down in order to accommodate veneers.

Depending on what problem you're trying to cover, it can be more than a little drilling and filing necessary.

You should also consider that once you do it, it's probably a lifelong commitment. Most dental work, fillings, crowns, and veneers are not going to last your entire life. You will need to replace them at some point.

Also, you should consider that such work can lead to abscesses and ultimately require the tooth to be extracted. Teeth that have had significant dental work, especially root canals and crowns, are much more susceptible to abscesses.

Just a few points you may want to consider and do more research on before you file down your teeth.

by Anonymousreply 43January 8, 2020 5:32 PM

Teeth are one part of the human body that really don’t hold up well at all.

by Anonymousreply 44January 8, 2020 5:37 PM

Depends R44. Some have genetically bad teeth. If you take care of your teeth they should last your lifetime. You might have to have some procedures to maintain your teeth. If you have receding gums there is a new procedure called Pinhole, which can help with loose teeth.

by Anonymousreply 45January 8, 2020 5:47 PM

The smelly factor would make me say definitely no. My teeth are good, though. A whitening kit from the drugstore is all I need and I’ve only had one cavity in my life.

by Anonymousreply 46January 8, 2020 6:04 PM

I can handle the veneers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 8, 2020 6:57 PM

Just an observation: People of color have much better “genetic” teeth than whites. May be genetic or tied to eating less sugar laden food. In white btw and my family has awful teeth.

by Anonymousreply 48January 8, 2020 7:01 PM

R33 - when I was considering crowns, for a short time I considered only having the top done,. Then I realized that we have a very good example of how that ends up: Rudy Giuliani.

I later considered doing only the front top and bottom (i.e. the visible teeth.). That might have worked. Financially, that would have been like jumping off a bridge. I went for a taller bridge and just did them all. Now that it's over and the financial hit has faded, I'm glad I went for the crowns, and probably would have been happy just doing the front.

As for doing it at. a late age, what does age matter? Each person can decide these things for themselves. If it makes us happy, we shouldn't skip it because someone with less life experience doesn't yet understand where we come from.

by Anonymousreply 49January 8, 2020 7:08 PM

Why not try some stylish grillz instead?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 8, 2020 7:21 PM

Veneers on the lower teeth don’t last as long because of the pressure exerted on them by the upper teeth.

Our jaws are pretty powerful, it’d seem.

by Anonymousreply 51January 8, 2020 8:11 PM

So you average joes are getting your teeth chipped away to get white coverings? That vanity will come back like a bitch to bite you in the ass at 60. Good luck slurping your food through your toothless hole.

by Anonymousreply 52January 8, 2020 8:14 PM

OP's bottom teeth are compromised so I doubt they would be a candidate for veneers.

by Anonymousreply 53January 8, 2020 8:15 PM

I would rather keep my real teeth & spend money on Invisalign and whitening.

Also, at some point, you will have to replace the veneers.

Don't wreck your teeth. There are a lot of people out there who would appreciate what you have.

by Anonymousreply 54January 8, 2020 8:18 PM

Veneers can also eventually do damage to your gums over time.

by Anonymousreply 55January 8, 2020 8:25 PM

Combined with the fact that, you know....you’re removing your teeth!

by Anonymousreply 56January 8, 2020 8:29 PM

I did the Zoom procedure at my dentist's office and I got them 6 shades whiter, very happy with the results. Natural looking, not insane blue white

by Anonymousreply 57January 8, 2020 8:45 PM

Good God, Faye looks awful with those things!

by Anonymousreply 58January 8, 2020 11:46 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59January 8, 2020 11:50 PM

^ not really

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60January 8, 2020 11:51 PM

Like R8, I have tetracycline-stained teeth from when I was a child, and no whitening treatment has ever made a lick of difference. Be sure you'll get results before investing in any of it.

by Anonymousreply 61January 9, 2020 12:10 AM

[quote] R41: If you're already in your 60s, why does it matter? I'm not saying that like your end is near, I'm just saying you've lived with them this long, is this truly a priority? When you're on your deathbed, will you think "I sure am glad I spent all that money on veneers?" I dunno.

I can’t comment on veneers; but teeth whitening at age 40 and straightening at age 50 made me very happy. Don’t judge the following, I am just answering R41, but I was hot enough before then, I didn’t need help. But my teeth were always somewhat crooked, and continued to get worse and really needed correction by 50, and they look great, now!

OP, teeth are really important. Do what makes you happy. Maybe whitening and straightening is all you need, but do what makes you happy. People do notice, though they will say they do not, if you ask.

by Anonymousreply 62January 9, 2020 12:42 AM

At 50, I’m just looking to maintain well functioning teeth and body. The idea of chipping away my perfectly healthy teeth to have them coated in fake white material that will break off and require dentures at an early age is wholly illogical to me. But I guess it’s like plastic surgery at 70 - despite the health risks, some people priority looks over health.

by Anonymousreply 63January 9, 2020 12:51 AM

People in their 60s are still in the job marketplace, competing with younger people. Everything adds up: hair, skin, teeth, clothing.

by Anonymousreply 64January 9, 2020 12:56 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65January 9, 2020 12:58 AM

I would assume Biden's and Cheeto's teeth are not veneers, but dentures of some sort.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66January 9, 2020 1:11 AM

R63 I could be wrong, but I think they etch the surface of your teeth with acids before adhering the veneers. I think they also file down the tooth to make a small peg to anchor a cap or crown.

I would not remove heathy dental enamel and replace it porcelain similar to a toilet bowl at any age. I would hate to make costly repairs to damaged veneers in 20 and then again 40 years. When I see caps and veneers, I wonder about what happens underneath them, and I notice that peoples’ gums turn gray and recede after you have caps. It looks like you’re paying now and later. I wouldn’t do it.

by Anonymousreply 67January 9, 2020 1:18 AM

You'll be lucky if your veneers last 20 years, R67.

by Anonymousreply 68January 9, 2020 1:22 AM

Go here. He's a prima donna, but his work cannot be beat. Lots of celebrity clients (on Fridays), but don't expect to see them often (cause, Friday.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69January 9, 2020 1:43 AM

I wish I had the money to get all my teeth replaced by implants. These veneers scare me.

by Anonymousreply 70January 10, 2020 10:27 PM

Per R20, for the curious among us here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71January 10, 2020 10:36 PM

It would be cost prohibitive to most people R70. They would do implants with bridges that still will cost you around $30,000

by Anonymousreply 72January 10, 2020 11:21 PM

Go for full extraction with removable dentures. Then you can charge more for your exquisite blowjobs.

by Anonymousreply 73January 11, 2020 2:06 AM

Such a shame to drill away perfectly good teeth so you can cover them with something temporary and fragile.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74January 12, 2020 4:32 AM

^^that's a veneer prep, btw

by Anonymousreply 75January 12, 2020 4:32 AM

Veneers star to break down in as little as 2 years. Crowns last up to ten years. Crowns destroy the whole tooth however.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76January 12, 2020 3:18 PM

Thanks R74 - R76. Exactly my issue. I’m shocked people do this to their teeth just to have whiter teeth. WTF is wrong with you people?

by Anonymousreply 77January 12, 2020 3:33 PM

My veneers look fine and they've been there for 17 years. I have crowns that are 25 years old and are in no need of replacement.

Some dentists do a shitty job and get shitty results. Some do a good job and get good results.

by Anonymousreply 78January 12, 2020 3:36 PM

[quote]I’m shocked people do this to their teeth just to have whiter teeth.

It's worth it, believe me. Having shitty-looking yellow or translucent teeth makes you look poor and trashy.

by Anonymousreply 79January 12, 2020 3:56 PM

[quote]Having shitty-looking yellow or translucent teeth makes you look poor and trashy.

Spending money on fake looking veneers makes you look stupid and trashy.

by Anonymousreply 80January 12, 2020 4:42 PM

If you’re worried that your less-than-Clorox white teeth make you look poor and trashy, than you probably are. In 95% of cases, the only way you end up with teeth that are horribly disfigured is by being raised extremely poor. My teeth are slightly yellowed, not perfectly straight - but not Billy Joe Bob missing, mangled appearing. They are fine. And I rarely see people I work with on Wall Street with those ridiculous veneers. It’s an insecure gay/actor thing.

by Anonymousreply 81January 12, 2020 5:12 PM

I have a friend who had his upper teeth (the ones that show) done by the very famous Bill Dorfman, who's in Century City. I didn't know him then but I think he broke his teeth in an accident so had no choice. Dorfman wasn't so famous then. They still look extremely natural and have lasted for more than 20 years I think without replacement, but he's probably one of the most expensive in the country. Here's a blurb from LA Magazine. He's been on TV a lot (Dorfman, not my friend). But I would guess they're not just veneers.

Bill Dorfman 2080 Century Park East Suite 1601 Los Angeles, CA 90067 855-508-6641

"This high profile "dentist to the stars" can be seen as a regular on shows such as Extreme Make Over and The Doctors, and is known in the industry to be the first stop where talent can get their smiles on before they hit auditions or meetings with their managers or agents. Clients include Ozzy Osbourne and Usher - who both have "beautiful, dazzling smiles," according to the doctor; Eva Longoria, Jessica Simpson, Britney Spears, Lindsey Lohan, Kelly Osborne, Mark Wahlberg, Sir Anthony Hopkins and Niecy Nash. Dr. Dorfman is also the dentist behind Katy Perry’s bejeweled million dollar grill."

by Anonymousreply 82January 12, 2020 5:26 PM

I wish I had gone whiter. I was afraid of looking Hollywood freakish so I went down a few notches. Oh well. When they need to be replaced in 10 years, I'll choose better.

by Anonymousreply 83January 12, 2020 5:42 PM

It’s such an LA thing. It’s such a warped, superficial environment. Where else is knocking out your teeth to put in fakes - just so your teeth are whiter - considered anything but narcissistic idiocy. Thank God I got out.

by Anonymousreply 84January 12, 2020 5:58 PM

r81 some people have naturally translucent or yellow teeth, regardless of socioeconomic background. And believe me, some of the people you work with on Wall Street do have veneers. If they're done right they look natural.

by Anonymousreply 85January 12, 2020 7:09 PM

If my teeth were in better shape and my concern was the color, I'd go for a whitening procedure. Getting crowns or veneers simply for whitening is kind of silly and expensive.

by Anonymousreply 86January 13, 2020 1:37 AM

Rather than get veneers, having real teeth filed down to a freakish, scary level, why don't celebs just get implants? That way, they keep some of your real teeth, and you don't have to deform their mouth like they do with veneers?

People talk about expense, but celebs like Miley and Faye Dunaway can afford it, right?

After seeing someone get veneers in a YouTube video, I don't know why anyone would do it- and this was a perfectly fine looking person in their 20s!! Yet, that video was the stuff of nightmares!! No one should do it unless they absolutely have to!

by Anonymousreply 87January 13, 2020 10:13 AM

I've been through this with my dentist. If what's wrong with your teeth is that they are yellowed due to staining, then whitening works great.

If what's wrong with them is that the enamel has worn down (common among the middle aged and older), then they have what the dentists call a "grey" discoloration (though they don't actually look grey to an amateur), and all whitening will do is produce that spooky translucency someone upthread was talking about. It won't whiten them. At that point you either ignore the problem or you have to go for veneers or crowns.

BTW, I went to the websites of both the dentists linked above with the assurance they produce a natural effect, and I can't agree from what I see on their pages. They look about as natural as Hollywood women look with facelifts or fillers.

by Anonymousreply 88January 13, 2020 11:30 AM

Can you post the link to that video, r87? Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 89January 14, 2020 8:24 PM

19.99 at Rite Aid

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90January 14, 2020 8:47 PM

R88, I’ve seen that graying on some TV personalities.

I always thought—why don’t they just get their teeth whitened but your post explains why it won’t work

by Anonymousreply 91January 14, 2020 9:29 PM

I straightened my teeth with Invisalign and then whiten with peroxide/baking soda brushing monthly.

Better than fakes

by Anonymousreply 92January 14, 2020 9:31 PM

r89- Sure. Here's the video...Brace yourself!

[Apparently, this has become the new norm these days for how veneers are done. It's frightening!!]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93January 16, 2020 3:00 AM

As a teenager while skateboarding I fell and chipped my two front teeth. At the time veneer technology was extremely expensive and my parents couldn’t afford it. So I went through my high school with two chipped front teeth.

As soon as I could afford it, I got the veneers to cover the chipped teeth. At the time my Beverly Hills dentist told me that i have two choices: Resin veneer or porcelain veneers, resin being much cheaper. He told me that the resin would probably last me 5 to 7 years and that the porcelain veneers would probably last me 10 years, but the price was over $1700 difference so I decided to go with the resin and figured I’ll deal with it when they break down. Turns out that the resin veneers looked perfect and I had them for over 18 years so it was a good choice over the porcelain.

Just recently one morning I woke up and my veneers were gone, they fell out during sleep. I now have a goatee and you really can’t see my teeth so I’m not that self-conscious about it. but when I come up with an extra thousand dollars I will get the resin veneers to cover the chipped teeth. Btw, they looked completely natural and no on has ever mentioned in them as being fake. And one more thing, when I had my veneers, I got compliments on my smile all the time.

If you can afford, it go for it.

by Anonymousreply 94January 16, 2020 4:23 AM

R94 After all these years though, won't the veneers (regardless of resin or porcelain) probably be much more expensive? Or were you quoted the $1k recently?

by Anonymousreply 95January 16, 2020 4:33 AM

Honestly, didi commercials when I was in college, got Veneers - Best $ I ever spent Always get compliments on my beautiful smile and booked a good numbers of jobs. Best money I ever spent. As I get older, I think I look more youthful because I don't have ugly chipped grey looking teeth. Yes, my teeth are a bit "Hollywood" but they look great!

by Anonymousreply 96January 16, 2020 4:37 AM

R96 - how are thy functioning? What happens if you get a cavity in the tooth underneath the veneer? Do they fade in color or stain over time?

by Anonymousreply 97January 16, 2020 4:52 AM

R96 No problems and they never fade, color is great! I literally got Erick Estrada white! I do sleep every fucking night with a mouth guard. Thats the only thing, but thats what the Dr told me to do. Grinding your teeth at night wears them down & would cause damage. HIGHLY recommend them Honestly, its the only way to get the million dollar smile if you're not born with it.

by Anonymousreply 98January 16, 2020 4:57 AM

R69, Michael Delmont was my dentist in LA for years. He does do good work. His office at the time was next to mine on Wilshire.

by Anonymousreply 99January 16, 2020 5:35 AM

Los Algodones, Mexico. I saved a fortune.

by Anonymousreply 100January 16, 2020 5:36 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101January 16, 2020 5:39 AM

To the people that say no one told them they look fake or bad, do you really think someone is going to say 'hey bud, your teeth look terrible and fake?'

by Anonymousreply 102January 16, 2020 1:17 PM

Yes, I actually do they'd tell ya - Look at the prick who posted a picture on Datalounge of his friend with bad hair...

by Anonymousreply 103January 16, 2020 2:48 PM

They have to grind off a lot of your teeth to put the veneers on. Your teeth will look like shark teeth. There is an alternative, laminates. In some cases they don't have to do any changes on your teeth to put laminates.

by Anonymousreply 104January 16, 2020 2:57 PM

r104- that's an excellent suggestion about the laminates. But, when I did a search, it seems that the terms "veneers" and "laminates" are used interchangeably. And that's very risky that someone will ask for one, thinking they are getting the other. So worrying!

But, I found a great article on it, that makes this seem like the PERFECT way to achieve the perfect, camera-ready smile, with no damage to the natural teeth. But, now my question is why some stars and YouTube personalities have opted to file their real teeth down to terrifying shark teeth, for the veneers (just to achieve a whiter, more perfect looking smile), when they could have gotten that with the luminates, safely and without harm to their actual teeth?

I wonder if people just aren't given the options by their dental experts, or if they really are just that crazy, that they think that turning their human teeth into scary shark-teeth that they can never revert is no biggie?! Anyone got any ideas on this? It's truly stumping me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105January 16, 2020 3:29 PM

I don't have veneers R105, I have implants. I researched for months until I was satisfied with the procedure and that I was going to get the results I wanted. Unfortunately people either just don't know there are alternatives or are too lazy to do the research.

by Anonymousreply 106January 16, 2020 5:28 PM

R48 I’m American, but of British and Irish descent, and I have “bad British teeth.” They look small and I have one snaggletooth, which actually only looks like it’s jutting out because the three front teeth next to it are misaligned and pushed inward. I also have an overbite and I grind my teeth *and* I have an autoimmune disease that has been a disaster. I have had three teeth pulled. One was while I was in college and had no dental insurance and was afraid to get a root canal, and the other two are something of a mystery likely due to the mast cell disease: they just died with no apparent physical damage. They just died. The dentist said he had only ever seen that before in patients who said they had Lyme disease. It turns out that it’s not that unusual in people with mast cell diseases, though, because the immune system can attack organs, including teeth. :(

Anyway, my teeth are a disaster. They actually appear cosmetically better than they really are healthwise; the only thing that looks wrong is the snaggletooth. I floss at least three times a day trying to keep decay away, but I guess they get attacked from under the roots by my own immune system.

I am interested in veneers or some kind of cosmetic improvement but also afraid of whitening, for example, because my teeth are sensitive and I don’t want to cause additional harm. And regarding veneers, I am delighted to see what foolishness Milo Yiannopoulos did to his mouth, but I sure as hell don’t want to end up with donkey teeth myself.

“Mastocytosis encompasses a group of rare clinical entities, which are characterized by an abnormal growth and, usually, low accumulation of clonal and morphologically abnormal mast cells (MCs), within one or more organs. Clinical presentations are quite variable and symptoms are usually related to the release of mast cell mediators, tissue infiltration by MC (usually in the aggressive categories of the disease), or both. Mast cells are hematopoietic-derived cells that reach phenotypic maturity in the mucosa and peripheral connective tissues. These cells play an active role both on immunologic and non-immunologic processes. Within the oral cavity, MCs reside in the connective tissues, in physiologic conditions, and their number is elevated in pathologic situations resulting from immunoinflammatory processes, such as pulpal inflammation and periodontal disease. As MCs influence so many phenomena within the oral cavity, mastocytosis may manifest itself in the oral tissues. Patients with mastocytosis should be put under special care by dental professionals, in what concerns not only general patient management, but also drug prescription, as they are particularly prone to anaphylaxis and other peri and post-operative complications. Several allergens or mast cell activation triggers such as local anesthetics, zinc oxide, eugenol, penicilins, metals and oral hygiene products are frequently administered or prescribed by dentists. Patients with mastocytosis may also require stress management, during dental consultation. This review aims to briefly summarize the potential ways in which mast cell disease may affect the oral cavity and the dental management of mastocytosis affected patients.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107February 23, 2020 10:36 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!