Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

James Franciscus Blind Item

Scandalous I say. Simply scandalous!

Certain aspects of this deceased handsome actor’s (James Franciscus) life would make for a good tell all biography. He would be very recognizable to people of a certain age especially women. He was in movies (filmography) but his biggest film roles were supporting ones. He was in a number of TV series ("Mr. Novak", "The Naked City", "The Investigators") but none lasted longer than a couple seasons. His most famous TV role ("Longstreet") was probably this series wherein he played a character with a physical handicap (blind insurance investigator) who was coached in a couple episodes by this deceased legendary action star (Bruce Lee in 4 episodes). The actor for whom the term egomanaic would be an understatement was difficult on set. Off set, he was married a couple times but preferred men. He had a lengthy on and off relationship with this deceased TV actor (Robert Reed) famous for a lead role on this iconic family show ("The Brady Bunch") that had a film reboot(s) ("The Brady Bunch Movie"). What killed the TV actor (AIDS) also killed this actor (1991 death from emphysema at the age of 57) despite that not being listed as his cause of death. (Bringing "Mr. Novak" up to date) (Death Certificate Shows ‘Brady Bunch’ Dad Had AIDS Virus) (TV, Film Star James Franciscus Dies at 57)

by Anonymousreply 54September 28, 2024 9:24 PM

Link?

by Anonymousreply 1January 5, 2020 6:19 PM

Oh, wait, it's CDAN.

*eyeroll*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 5, 2020 6:19 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 5, 2020 6:20 PM

CDAN claims it's a "reader's BI."

by Anonymousreply 4January 5, 2020 6:46 PM

It was whispered to me once that James Franciscus was Charlton Heston's bf for years.

by Anonymousreply 5January 5, 2020 6:49 PM

Oooooh, talk about Beneath the Planet of the Apes!

by Anonymousreply 6January 5, 2020 6:51 PM

This was a long time ago, but when I was in high school, Mr. Novak was extremely popular among us kids, and the day after an episode aired, we recapped it enthusiastically. It was more popular than The Twilight Zone, because the girls didn't watch that.

Still, the idea of such a handsome and understanding dude as a high-school teacher was a fantasy. I remember one episode wherein one of the students went blind and Mr. Novak was spending all his free time trying to help the kid get back on his feet. Imagine: a teacher who liked kids and wanted to help them.

by Anonymousreply 7January 5, 2020 7:00 PM

well, damn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 5, 2020 7:13 PM

Sizzling hot!

He and Eddie's Father were my gayling idols.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 5, 2020 7:13 PM

Never heard of him, but very handsome.

by Anonymousreply 10January 5, 2020 7:32 PM

I was still in elementary school when 'Mr. Novak' was on the air, but it was high-quality drama with a very handsome lead actor.

by Anonymousreply 11January 5, 2020 7:37 PM

They were both apparently very arrogant and unpleasant men. Imagine the two of them together! Insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 12January 5, 2020 7:41 PM

I thought he was gorgeous when he was in "Naked City."

by Anonymousreply 13January 5, 2020 7:41 PM

But wasn't James Franciscus Jane Fonda's first love?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 5, 2020 7:49 PM

Smart move having Fonda sitting in that pic. She'd be taller than Goey if she stood up next to him.

by Anonymousreply 15January 5, 2020 7:54 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 5, 2020 8:00 PM

Wasn't he married to Shelly Winters?

by Anonymousreply 17January 5, 2020 9:18 PM

Mmmmm....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 5, 2020 9:21 PM

His Wiki page....and no, r17, that was Tony Franciosa.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 5, 2020 9:26 PM

Dreamy.

by Anonymousreply 20January 5, 2020 10:11 PM

As JFK in The Greek Tycoon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 5, 2020 10:24 PM

He was married to Kitty Wellman, daughter of legendary director William Wellman.

by Anonymousreply 22January 5, 2020 10:30 PM

He was married twice and had 4 daughters.

by Anonymousreply 23January 5, 2020 10:31 PM

He was in one of my all-time favorite MOW's. NIght Slaves. It costarred Lee Grant and Tisha Sterling. Truly, worth a look! Let me know if any of you like it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 5, 2020 10:42 PM

He and Richard Chamberlain looked like brothers in the 1960s.

by Anonymousreply 25January 5, 2020 10:46 PM

Massive size meat.

by Anonymousreply 26January 6, 2020 12:03 AM

[quote] But wasn't James Franciscus Jane Fonda's first love?

Then she really did share something with her Grace & Frankie character

by Anonymousreply 27January 6, 2020 12:06 AM

I believe the big ego part, but never got a gay vibe from him.

by Anonymousreply 28January 6, 2020 2:02 AM

Bullshit. We know his second wife who’s a lovely woman. He wasn’t having an affair with Robert Reed, wasn’t gay, and died of a sudden cardiac arrest. I’m gay and love gossip as much as the next fag, but this kind of irresponsible stuff is just hurtful and wrong.

by Anonymousreply 29January 6, 2020 2:13 AM

If he died of cardiac arrest why do they list his cause of death as Emphysema?

by Anonymousreply 30January 6, 2020 3:24 AM

Those CDAN blinds, especially regarding gay gossip, are usually cruel, unfounded and malicious. The purpose behind CDAN seems to be to make the Hollywood crowd, liberals, gays and anyone not supporting the neo-con agenda, both dead and alive, past and present out to be diseased, drug addicted, perverted, pedos. If they get one out of twenty stories right, then the alt-right, TMZ loving, incel Trumpster losers will believe the rest, even if the story is from 1960.

by Anonymousreply 31January 6, 2020 4:48 AM

Very handsome man but no gay vibe at all with him..Sorry!

by Anonymousreply 32January 6, 2020 5:16 PM

I do not for a moment believe James Franciscus was gay . . . and if he were, I cannot see him in a relationship with a man like Robert Reed.

by Anonymousreply 33January 6, 2020 5:39 PM

R6 With respect, all references to "Planet of the Apes" should be restricted to the Trump Administration.

by Anonymousreply 34January 6, 2020 6:37 PM

BDF

by Anonymousreply 35March 3, 2021 8:28 PM

Franciscus starred in a movie called YOUNGBLOOD HAWKE. I remember seeing it on TV decades ago. Don't remember much about it except that he was gorgeous in it, though I don't believe he shows off his body in it like he does in BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 3, 2021 8:46 PM

He was playing a hybrid of JFK in The Greek Tycon, but he did play JFK to Jaclyn Smith's JackieO ABC tv-movie in 1982.

by Anonymousreply 37March 3, 2021 8:50 PM

I never git a gay vibe either. He was indeed a fabulous hunk of man. I particularly loved his hair...great color, very thick with a nice wave to it.

by Anonymousreply 38March 3, 2021 9:25 PM

The Greek Tycoon? Oh who else other than DL would remember this movie!?

by Anonymousreply 39March 3, 2021 9:40 PM

R24 if you're still around. I LOVED that movie. I watch it every few months.

by Anonymousreply 40February 9, 2022 7:32 AM

I bet he and Robert Conrad enjoyed the ole 69.

by Anonymousreply 41February 9, 2022 2:13 PM

Thank you, [R36]! I love "Youngblood Hawke" and need to watch it again. Suzanne Pleshette is his EDITOR--HE is supposed to be a young literary genius based on Thomas Wolfe!!!!

by Anonymousreply 42February 9, 2022 2:21 PM

For a movie set in the literary world, "Youngblood Hawke" has some hilariously bad dialogue. Not a great movie, to say the least, but enjoyable as camp.

by Anonymousreply 43February 9, 2022 3:31 PM

Just gorgeous. He should have posed or Playgirl to promote the movie. It's been reported he smoked four packs a day and that's what killed him so young.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44February 9, 2022 4:11 PM

An early crush of mine, long before I understood what those feelings meant.

Loved him in the Planet of the Apes movies, whichever one(s) he was in (I long ago gave up on trying to keep any of the sequels straight).

Also loved him in Longstreet. He did a great job in that show. As someone said upthread, he had great hair in that series.

I've always thought it odd that he reportedly died of emphysema at age 57. That just never rang true somehow.

by Anonymousreply 45February 9, 2022 4:24 PM

Somebody here reported that he used to meet Heston routinely to play tennis. Then they’d retire to a private dressing area for a few hours to wind down.

by Anonymousreply 46February 9, 2022 4:57 PM

Total bottom…Carter supporter…

by Anonymousreply 47July 3, 2023 10:49 PM

R25, I was just gonna post if Richard Chamberlain wasn't such a delicate creature, he'd be James Franciscus.

by Anonymousreply 48July 3, 2023 10:55 PM

So butch he was cis fifty years before anybody knew what it was!

by Anonymousreply 49July 3, 2023 10:56 PM

Handsome man.

by Anonymousreply 50September 28, 2024 6:49 PM

I saw a couple episodes of Mr. Novak on YouTube. A very good show. A lot more of them are up now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51September 28, 2024 8:00 PM

Hey girl, hey!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52September 28, 2024 8:01 PM

[quote]It's been reported he smoked four packs a day and that's what killed him so young.

Four packs a day does seem excessive.

by Anonymousreply 53September 28, 2024 9:21 PM

He was hot in BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES and VALLEY OF THE GWANGI.

by Anonymousreply 54September 28, 2024 9:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!