Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dear America - those fancy pantsy Root Beers aren't too great, are they?

I bought some "Boyland" at my supermarket in London and it's a bit too good-goody tasting...do you know what I mean? It doesn't even have that lovely Root Beer smell which is half the experience, quite frankly.

As I youngster I liked Frosty The Snowman, but I haven't seen that for years. You could buy it in the corridors of American hotels.

I can get A&W at expensive delis here. That's good, isn't it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 3, 2020 10:54 AM

Sprecher is great, if it's available in your area. I LOVED a frosty mug of A&W. The bottled stuff wasn't as good as getting it on tap at the drive-in.

by Anonymousreply 1January 2, 2020 9:34 PM

R1 = front left

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 2, 2020 9:38 PM

It depends on what you like in root beer, to be honest. A&W is VERY sweet, but I like it quite a lot (it pairs beautifully with vanilla ice cream). Some people prefer a less sweet root beer with more of a licorice note in it, though.

by Anonymousreply 3January 2, 2020 9:38 PM

Such as, R3?

by Anonymousreply 4January 2, 2020 9:40 PM

Virgil's has a very strong licorice flavor in it I personally don't like, r4.

by Anonymousreply 5January 2, 2020 9:42 PM

Sorry: I meant to identify myself as r3, not as OP (I'm not OP).

Sorry, OP.

by Anonymousreply 6January 2, 2020 9:43 PM

R2 I don't get it. Please explain...

by Anonymousreply 7January 2, 2020 9:45 PM

I like A&W and Barq’s the most. Mug seems a little flat to me. Root Beer is best served freezing cold in a nice frosty mug. I know people in the U.K. have an adversion to cold drinks. I haven’t run across any designer brands that are worth a damn.

by Anonymousreply 8January 2, 2020 9:46 PM

'teas my favourite as well, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 2, 2020 9:51 PM

How is root beer different from sarsparilla? Which alcohol pairs well with it?

by Anonymousreply 10January 2, 2020 9:58 PM

I bought a one liter plastic bottle of Dad's root beer recently. I thought it wasn't made anymore since I haven't seen it anywhere for many years. I'd rate it as a good choice as it seems like it tasted how I remembered it.

Is Hires still around? I liked that brand too along with A&W and Barq's.

by Anonymousreply 11January 2, 2020 10:01 PM

R10. Sarsaparilla is really, really, bitter.

by Anonymousreply 12January 2, 2020 10:02 PM

Mug tastes like piss. A&W is okay. Frostie really is the gold standard for root beer, and I’ve never had any other brands that surpass it.

by Anonymousreply 13January 2, 2020 10:02 PM

My grandmother always had birch beer and root beer in the refrigerator, which was in an enclosed porch-like structure off the kitchen. But not the pantry. My great aunt had the same thing - a fridge and a huge chest freezer in a little porch like room off the kitchen. Connecticut. What was that all about? I can't remember the bottlers.

Hartford Club, Averys, Castle were some brands.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 2, 2020 10:18 PM

~There are a lotta brands, my God!

A lot these things are regional, aren't they?

by Anonymousreply 15January 2, 2020 10:24 PM

So many possibilities...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 2, 2020 10:26 PM

When growing up, I had a neighbor whose brother made his own root beer, and he'd bring a couple cases when he came to visit - very little resemblance to store bought, but that shit was good! Stronger, vaguely medicinal, and not as carbonated. Ahh, would love to have a bottle of that.

by Anonymousreply 17January 2, 2020 11:02 PM

[quote] vaguely medicinal

Pepto Bismol-ish?

by Anonymousreply 18January 2, 2020 11:03 PM

[quote] While no standard recipe exists, the primary ingredients in modern root beer are filtered water, sugar, and artificial sassafras flavoring, which complements other flavors. Common flavorings are vanilla, wintergreen, black cherry bark, licorice root, sarsaparilla root, nutmeg, acacia, anise, molasses, cinnamon, sweet birch, and honey. Soybean protein is sometimes used to create a foamy quality, and caramel coloring is used to make the beverage brown.

[quote] Ingredients in early and traditional root beers include allspice, birch bark, coriander, juniper, ginger, wintergreen, hops, burdock root, dandelion root, spikenard, pipsissewa, guaiacum chips, sarsaparilla, spicewood, wild cherry bark, yellow dock, prickly ash bark, sassafras root, vanilla beans, dog grass, molasses and licorice. Many of these ingredients are still used in traditional and commercially produced root beer today, which is often thickened, foamed or carbonated. Although most mainstream brands are caffeine-free, Barq's does contain caffeine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 2, 2020 11:13 PM

Faygo root beer is very good.

by Anonymousreply 20January 2, 2020 11:21 PM

R18 - cherry cough syrup....

by Anonymousreply 21January 3, 2020 1:56 AM

I went to a burger place in Houston a decade ago which was advertised as one of the very best in town. The drinks fridge was stacked with about 8 or 9 kinds of root beer. It was a sight.

by Anonymousreply 22January 3, 2020 6:04 AM

When I was very young I remember an old man who went around door to door selling sassafras bark. I love sassafras tea.

by Anonymousreply 23January 3, 2020 6:22 AM

REAL root beer was made with sarsaparilla, which was banned because it causes cancer

by Anonymousreply 24January 3, 2020 7:16 AM

r24 Sassafras root and extract as well. The offending compound is safrole. Used to buy bottles of sassafras extract, or maybe it was a syrup. Made great tea.

"Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer" is quite tasty. I like the color, brown with a reddish tinge.

Hires Root Beer Extract is still available. so you could make your own root beer at home. "Glen and Friends Cooking" over on YouTube has a very involved recipe for homemade root beer, probably 20 ingredients.

by Anonymousreply 25January 3, 2020 10:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!