Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Enlightened TV show (2011-2013)

This show never got enough love and worst of all, it was cancelled before the final season which would have been great. It is one of the most complex portrayals of a struggling, unstable woman who wants to be a savior even as she herself is out-of-touch. The main character is Amy and the show focuses on her relationships with her mother and her coworkers. We get to see how Amy's actions often clash with her intentions. The title is ironic, because Amy isn't enlightened at all yet she wants to change the world. The show wants us to empathize with Amy's wishes for a better world while it also wants us to question her character (and probably her state of mind, too). Any other fans on here?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 22, 2019 9:01 AM

Yes, I loved The Ghost.

by Anonymousreply 1December 21, 2019 7:34 PM

R1, which episode was that? There are so many good episodes, it's hard for me to decide which one is my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 2December 21, 2019 7:39 PM

Loved that show!

by Anonymousreply 3December 21, 2019 7:42 PM

R3, the third season would have been so good. It was supposed to deal with the aftermath of Amy's decision to take down Abaddonn Industires. There would have been a trial and we would see how everyone in Amy's life feels about her. I would have loved to see that. But hey, who knows. If Twin Peaks can come back after more than 25 years, maybe HBO will greenlight that last season of Enlightened, eventually.

by Anonymousreply 4December 21, 2019 7:49 PM

It was just too bright, too complicated, and too interesting to make it on American TV. I kept hoping that some British or Danish producer would pick it up and do it overseas.

by Anonymousreply 5December 21, 2019 7:50 PM

You’re right, R5. Too much even for HBO. I love this show.

by Anonymousreply 6December 21, 2019 8:01 PM

It was very good but it was also of that ilk of shows about off-putting, uneasy situations and people. Every episode a squirm fest! About those kinds of "people you know", usually liberal middle-class people - "not so different from yourself".

Since one assumes the actors and producers are all very successful and talented (since the show is "good") I finally get a feeling of condescension from such shows and it is not entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 7December 21, 2019 8:22 PM

Still one of my absolute favorites. Amy had moments so cringeworthy you felt like you might disappear into yourself watching them, but then there would be a scene so fucking beautiful I was crying my eyes out. Just a great series. I wish Mike White would do more television.

by Anonymousreply 8December 21, 2019 8:23 PM

R7, I always felt that the creators like Amy but they recognize that she is flawed and contradictory. She does care about "the little people" yet she fails to consider how her actions impact others sometimes. With the whole taking down Abaddonn thing, her mother had a good point. To paraphrase her, "you're going to expose this company that gave you a second chance after everything you did? Did you think about all the people you are making unemployed?". It's something that you feel Amy never stopped to consider. That's what I like about the show-it recognizes the "heroes" we create are often far from perfect and are often deeply-flawed human beings.

by Anonymousreply 9December 21, 2019 9:12 PM

I love Mike White.

by Anonymousreply 10December 21, 2019 9:17 PM

I thought it was brilliant, but man was it hard to watch.

Best poster ever. I used to laugh out loud every time I saw one in a subway station.

by Anonymousreply 11December 21, 2019 9:20 PM

Loved, Laura was fantastic.. I was dying to hear what her mother and friends really thought.

by Anonymousreply 12December 21, 2019 9:22 PM

R12, I'm sure her mother would say "she's been a disappointment...but I love her" (this would be her attempt to be warm).

Laura deserved to win an Emmy for her performance. I think the episodes that stood out to me the most were the ones with Robin Wright (from House of Cards) as her hippy friend. Amy was so jealous of her and all her neurosis came out when she was on the show. We never got to find out how Robin Wright's character responded to her voicemail.

by Anonymousreply 13December 21, 2019 9:27 PM

I absolutely loved this show. Amazing, complex story. Unstable people all around! I thought Laura Dern was amazing and Diane Ladd as her mother(!) was as well. Dermot Mulroney is always enjoyable!

I was a fan of the show but hearing that it was cancelled before the last season is news to me! Really? I wonder where they would have taken the story after that?

by Anonymousreply 14December 21, 2019 9:31 PM

I loved this show, but I remember it being hard to watch because it was so full of truth.

by Anonymousreply 15December 21, 2019 9:46 PM

R14, they were going to show Amy on trial. We would have gotten to see what all the characters on the show thought about her. We were also supposed to see Amy's estranged sister, Bethenny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 21, 2019 10:05 PM

I read another article where Mike White says he could possibly bring Enlightened back. It discussed how the idea of the depressing semi-comedy is now very popular with BoJack Horseman (or whatever it's called) and other shows. Enlightened was ahead of its time.

by Anonymousreply 17December 21, 2019 10:08 PM

So I was going to watch this on Amazon but if it has no ending I don't think I will.

by Anonymousreply 18December 21, 2019 10:24 PM

R16 Very interesting. Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 19December 21, 2019 11:10 PM

I loved this show so much. Laura Dern is in the midst of a career resurgence and has continued to work for HBO so I like to think a third season could still happen. I think they'd have to take a different approach now, though, looking at where Amy is almost a decade later.

by Anonymousreply 20December 21, 2019 11:26 PM

I'm hoping a 3rd season of Big Little Lies will happen, also with Laura Dern. Although they pretty much tied up all the loose ends at the end of season 2 so I doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 21December 21, 2019 11:54 PM

I think Inland Empire back in 2006 put Dern back on the map. Since then, it's been all uphill. I think she may be working more now than she ever has. How many actresses in their 40s/50s can say that?

by Anonymousreply 22December 21, 2019 11:57 PM

She should have received an Oscar nomination for Inland Empire. Brilliant performance.

by Anonymousreply 23December 22, 2019 1:18 AM

R18 The season 2 finale acts as a sort of series finale. Even so, the two seasons were very satisfying. Definitely worth watching...

by Anonymousreply 24December 22, 2019 9:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!