Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Chinese Syrup for Sore Throat, Cough, Congestion

Anyone ever tried it? Supposed to help singers and public speakers as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 15, 2019 10:08 AM

I bet it does - to an early death.

by Anonymousreply 1December 13, 2019 7:40 AM

Yes, and it's from HK and perfectly safe. It tastes delicious and is quite soothing. It's also good for dental problems if held in the mouth. Completely herbal preparation.

by Anonymousreply 2December 13, 2019 7:44 AM

R2, Company that makes it has been around since 1946. Know that China/HK/Japan/Asia has many herbal preparations that are vert competitive in effectiveness to Western medicine.

by Anonymousreply 3December 13, 2019 7:52 AM

As R2 said, it's from HK so it's safe. It's EXTREMELY sweet and quite effective imo.

by Anonymousreply 4December 13, 2019 7:54 AM

I love the taste. I pour it on ice cream.

by Anonymousreply 5December 13, 2019 10:09 AM

They also think that eating endangered species will keep their tiny yellow micro-dicks hard. Fuck China.

by Anonymousreply 6December 13, 2019 10:13 AM

I would try this: Yoki Cough Syrup. It stops your coughing immediately, so soothing!

But the price on Amazon is ridiculous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 13, 2019 10:14 AM

I tried it when I was like 12 and it gave me syrup-consistency shit, no joke.

by Anonymousreply 8December 13, 2019 10:20 AM

Yes, but you're thirsty an hour later.

by Anonymousreply 9December 13, 2019 11:47 AM

The secret ingredients are arsenic and puréed fetus.

by Anonymousreply 10December 13, 2019 11:57 AM

Yes, OP.

It was actually recommended to me by a theater tech when I was very, very young (And sick!) and as I've gotten older I have learned that quite a few people know of it!

by Anonymousreply 11December 13, 2019 12:09 PM

R10 and your grandmom told you the secret?

by Anonymousreply 12December 13, 2019 12:21 PM

This sounds xenophobic and 'ugly American', but I shudder to think what the ingredients are in these things. Wouldn't want to quiet my cough with pureed cat.....

by Anonymousreply 13December 13, 2019 3:01 PM

It probably has fentanyl in it.

by Anonymousreply 14December 13, 2019 5:08 PM

Ingredients: Elm bark, honey, loquat leaf, fritillary, balloon flower root, snakegourd seed, sand root, senega root, tuckahoe, licorice root, ginger root, five flavored seed and peppermint.

It's about $12 on Amazon and $6 at my local China Town herbal store.

by Anonymousreply 15December 13, 2019 5:22 PM

R7, It's much less expensive on Ebay. "ไม่มีข้อความกำกับภาพอัตโนมัติ "YOKI" COUGH SYRUP (บริษัทโยคี 1997 จำกัด)

TRADITIONAL MEDICINE FROM THAILAND PROPETIES Relieve cough Expectorate

Ingredients : prepared from Phyllanthus emblica , Orange peel is smooth, licorice and other components

INSTRUCITONS Dosage 2 Tbsp Or Sip on a cough 3-4 Time/day Indications : For the temporary relief of minor discomfort and protection of irritated areas in sore mouth and sore throat."

by Anonymousreply 16December 13, 2019 5:34 PM

When suffering from stomach stress while taking finals at UCLA my Korean roommate recommended the following pills. Smelled strange but the pills were so tiny and easy to swallow. Worked much better than Western medicine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 13, 2019 5:38 PM

Many Asian all herbal, natural products are far superior to Western medicine and without the unpleasant side effects.

by Anonymousreply 18December 13, 2019 5:39 PM

Ancient Chinese secret.

by Anonymousreply 19December 13, 2019 5:57 PM

Does r17 cough out his ass?

by Anonymousreply 20December 13, 2019 11:08 PM

I love it for when my throat feels like shards of glass are hanging around. It's soothing but the benefits are pretty short lived. I'm afraid I'm going to turn into Winnie the Pooh drinking all that honey.

by Anonymousreply 21December 13, 2019 11:13 PM

I tried it last year and it did help for a day or two of what was the very beginning of the flu. In fairness, there was no way it was going to put a full stop to whatever the hell was going on once it got a hold of me, but I did go ahead and order another bottle of it off of Amazon at the time - which remains unopened at this very moment... I certainly hope it stays that way ;)

by Anonymousreply 22December 14, 2019 12:24 AM

Is it made from real Chinese people?

by Anonymousreply 23December 14, 2019 12:26 AM

For those insisting on an American-made product there's "Throat Spray." Mint-flavored, it numbs your throat and works better than throat lozenges. I have sinusitis and have frequent sore throats from post-nasal drip during the fall and winter. Yes I also created the herbal tea thread for similar sufferers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 14, 2019 12:59 AM

This also works, R24.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 14, 2019 2:05 AM

R25, I used to believe in Chloraseptic but "Throat Spray" is so much more effective and has a longer lasting effect. Also Chloraseptic isn't designed for a scratchy or irritated throat not caused by an illness nor is it meant for long-term use. Will be buying the Hong Kong made medicine tomorrow,

by Anonymousreply 26December 14, 2019 2:14 AM

[quote]Chloraseptic isn't designed for a scratchy or irritated throat not caused by an illness

I don't care. I have it by my bed year round, I live in a dry climate and it works for when I wake up coughing from the dry air.

by Anonymousreply 27December 14, 2019 12:24 PM

R27, Your choice of what works best. I'm just exploring more natural alternatives.

Recently read that a humidifier with Tea Tree Oil also helps with those suffering from very dry air, allergies, sinusitis, etc. Don't know if that's true or not.

Definitely a steamy shower or bath, or being in a small bathroom that's filled with steam help. Likewise standing over a kettle of boiling water (while cooking) for a short while makes a difference. Perhaps that's why hot chicken soup has always been said to work wonders?

by Anonymousreply 28December 14, 2019 12:44 PM

Chinese herbalist also recommended I take Pe Min Kan Wan for my allergies, sinusitis, nasal congestion. Just 1 pill game me instant relief. Ingredients next post. I'm linking Amazon as they provide more specifics but I only paid a few dollars for the same product. Your choice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29December 15, 2019 12:32 AM

From my link at the previous post, Magnolia biondii flower, Xanthium sibiricum fruit, Isatis indigotica root, Pogostemon cablin herb, Chrysanthemum morifolium flower, Saposhnikovia divaricata root, Centepida minima herb, Mentha haplocalyx herb, Perilla frutescens leaf, Mel (honey), Activated carbon, Botanical wax. - Xin yi hua, Cang er zi, Ban lan gen

Magnolia biondii flower Xanthium sibiricum fruit Isatis indigotica root Pogostemon cablin Gwen Chrysanthemum morifolium flower

Appears to be herbs and coloring agent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 15, 2019 12:35 AM

What is plum flower used for? Consuming a tonic made from the flower is helpful as a muscle relaxant in cases such as general muscular pain and cramps and also menstrual discomfort. Plum Flowers – Plum flowers are primarily used in Chinese medicine to free the body from parasites and ulcers. They are also used to boost digestive health.

Medicinal Flowers and Their Uses - ProFlowers Blog Blog › medicinal-flowers-and-uses is linked.

What is Pe Min Kan Wan used for? Seasonal Nasal Support Pe Min Kan Teapills are a traditional Chinese formula containing herbs like Magnolia, Cocklebur, and Dyer's Woad known to have nurtured the health and well-being of the nasal passages, sinuses, and respiratory system for thousands of years. Useful for occasional seasonal challenges.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 15, 2019 12:48 AM

For those of you insisting on a US made product, "Amazon Elements Elderberry Complex" at less than $6 contains zinc, Vitamin C, as well as Elderberry all of which has been medically proven to treat and prevent sore throats and congestion due to allergies or illness.

by Anonymousreply 32December 15, 2019 10:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!