Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Sign (Ace of Base) - catchy and cheesy

I came across the video clip of "The Sign" by Ace of Base. As someone who grew up in the nineties, I knew the song (mega hit at the time), but had never seen the video clip. Well, that's one hell of a cheesy video clip, in some ways mirroring the musical style of the band. But I was instantly reminded of how catchy that song is. No wonder why it topped the charts for weeks back then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 26, 2019 7:45 PM

Such an iconic song of the nineties. Even South Park referred to it in one episode when they have that guy who comes from the nineties.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 11, 2019 3:58 AM

If I'm not mistaken a member or a few of them were sympathetic or members of the Nazi movement. It actually killed the band, never to be seen again.

by Anonymousreply 2December 11, 2019 4:08 AM

I bought the VHS of that video, OP. I was so hot for Ulf back then. Of course he was the one who turned out to have been in some neo-Nazi group before Ace of Base. I always go for the shitheads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 11, 2019 4:51 AM

Aren’t they Nazis?

by Anonymousreply 4December 11, 2019 4:58 AM

The Nazi rumor is bullshit. Ulf was in some skinhead group when he was a teenager but disavowed it in the 90s. Cracked wrote an article discussing his past and speculating that some early Ace of Base songs sounded like they could be spouting Nazi propaganda. They never stopped to consider the songs were barely coherent with cliche phrases strung together by non-English speakers. They make Shakira's lyrics look profound. None of the other members has ever been linked to Nazism. They continued recording into the 2000s but only as a trio - Linn, the blonde, quit the group and has pretty much become a recluse. Around ten years ago two new female singers recorded an album with founding members Ulf and Jonas in a temporarily revamped version of the band while Jenny released a solo album. That lineup only lasted a year or so. They released an album of vault material and a hits compilation in recent years but beyond that the band seems to be on permanent hiatus.

by Anonymousreply 5December 11, 2019 5:49 AM

The only member of this band who isn't gay is the fat guy.

by Anonymousreply 6December 26, 2019 7:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!