Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Breakfast At Tiffany's intro is still TOTALLY divine.

It's heaven.

Take three minutes from your busy day to watch it, I beg of you.

Best scene of the whole movie as far as I'm concerned.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 10, 2019 12:29 PM

Agreed.

by Anonymousreply 1December 7, 2019 11:40 PM

I hate how this film is still secretly one of my top 5. its been hijacked by basic white women and fat women who like to remind us that marilyn monroe "was a size 14". oh, and racist stuff isn't great either. still love it though!

by Anonymousreply 2December 7, 2019 11:48 PM

I blame this movie for everyone incorrectly calling the store "Tiffany's"

by Anonymousreply 3December 7, 2019 11:50 PM

"Breakfast At Tiffany & Co" doesn't have the same ring.

by Anonymousreply 4December 7, 2019 11:55 PM

Well that was three minutes of my life I'll never get back.

by Anonymousreply 5December 8, 2019 12:03 AM

Every three minutes you spend is three minutes you won't get back.

by Anonymousreply 6December 8, 2019 12:05 AM

What a bore!

by Anonymousreply 7December 8, 2019 12:11 AM

So I have to ask ...

Does NY Tiffany's have a cafe? I know the "breakfast" is a metaphor, but many high end stores have them (at least tea and crumpets).

Just curious.

by Anonymousreply 8December 8, 2019 12:14 AM

[quote]"Breakfast At Tiffany & Co" doesn't have the same ring.

There is nothing wrong with the title to the book/movie, as, I assume, it means "Breakfast at Tiffany's Windows."

If not Capote was stupid.

by Anonymousreply 9December 8, 2019 12:19 AM

Wasn't her character an impoverished prostitute?

Why would she be dressed like that?

by Anonymousreply 10December 8, 2019 12:31 AM

Supposedly Capote got the title from a story he had heard about a fresh-off-the-bus hustler who, when asked by his new sugar daddy where he'd like to go eat, said he'd always wanted to have breakfast at Tiffany's.

by Anonymousreply 11December 8, 2019 12:46 AM

You lost me at "Mickey Rooney" as a Jap.

by Anonymousreply 12December 8, 2019 12:52 AM

[quote]You lost me at "Mickey Rooney" as a Jap.

Stop being so hyper-sensitive about everything for GOD'S sake! It's not so terrible. It's a fucking joke.

by Anonymousreply 13December 8, 2019 1:01 AM

It bothered me that she didn't use a napkin for that donut. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 14December 8, 2019 1:13 AM

R13 is an idiot. That is the worst racist yellow-face in the history of cinema.

by Anonymousreply 15December 8, 2019 1:15 AM

Ariana Grande was given the actual Givenchy dress that Audrey Hepburn wore in the opening scene.

She wants to do a remake of Breakfast at Tiffany's, but who should play the George Peppard role?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 8, 2019 1:15 AM

The using of (dead) Audrey (& the song) in that chocolate commercial was so tacky it's not true.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 8, 2019 1:19 AM

The up-do in OP's pic slays me.

by Anonymousreply 18December 8, 2019 3:14 AM

This film is tepid filmmaking and neutered content. The glamour is easy. I see how it appeals to 15yo-22yo girls and gay boys who are interested in a bohemian glamour but don't have all that much glamour themselves, or access to it. I have had to rewatch it with that cohort and the only life it provides me, is reflected through the young people who find it alluring. And only a few will, as it is very dated.

by Anonymousreply 19December 8, 2019 5:11 AM

Poor anorexic Audrey had a hard time filming that scene because she hated nibbling on a Danish pastry.

by Anonymousreply 20December 8, 2019 5:19 AM

George Peppard was so gorgeous in this film. And cat was really a good actor.

by Anonymousreply 21December 8, 2019 5:31 AM

You do realize, of course, that LVMH has acquired Tiffany & Co. For $16.2 Billion . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 8, 2019 5:45 AM

[quote]R10 Wasn't her character an impoverished prostitute? Why would she be dressed like that?

She’s a party girl who lives off her male admirers.

I think that’s the most polite way to say it.

by Anonymousreply 23December 8, 2019 6:06 AM

I believe Capote’s hustler story because there was a Tiffany’s diner down in the West Village. There was/is a breakfast at Tiffany’s of sorts that’s a catered affair but not a full restaurant. They are undergoing a massive renovation, so perhaps a restaurant is possible. Expect to see a lot of change with LVMH as the new owner, they now own that corner.

I worked across the street and my old boss called that corner the “axis of evil”.

by Anonymousreply 24December 8, 2019 6:37 AM

Did she just finish an overnight session with a client ?

by Anonymousreply 25December 8, 2019 6:45 AM

Peppard was good looking but cold. They fucked one afternoon but never kissed or touched each other again and suddenly we're supposed to believe they're secretly madly in love? There was ZERO chemistry between them.

by Anonymousreply 26December 8, 2019 8:22 AM

[quote]r25 Did she just finish an overnight session with a client ?

She'd been out nightclubbing with him, then took off with the cash. Petty whore.

by Anonymousreply 27December 8, 2019 3:19 PM

George could be my fuckleberry friend anytime. Yum!

by Anonymousreply 28December 8, 2019 3:52 PM

Cue the pic of George's sad last days.

by Anonymousreply 29December 8, 2019 3:58 PM

Uh, r13, do you think someone who was truly offended by that performance would use the word "Jap"?

by Anonymousreply 30December 8, 2019 4:01 PM

Back when store windows were works of art.

by Anonymousreply 31December 8, 2019 4:59 PM

Her hair looked great in that clip.

As the '60s wore on she adopted that London Mod Look - which was really for the very young only and never flattering. It looked silly on her. I think her light went out, actually.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 8, 2019 6:10 PM

This is just five years later and she looks twenty years older. Very frau and dowdy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 8, 2019 6:11 PM

And she often looked unhappy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34December 8, 2019 6:14 PM

I love this little car.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 8, 2019 6:15 PM

She was gorgeous, but I never did see the hype of this film. Terribly depressing story, and especially at the time, how awful to be a young lady in her situation socially. Her character was delusional, self-sabotaging, and destructive. I don't see any glamour at all in being a high priced "companion". The film was a bit vague of course, but she certainly was some sort of sex worker. It was all the more sad because she was so beautiful, charming, and witty at times. Couldn't she be better? Terrible film IMHO. Perhaps the book is better?

by Anonymousreply 36December 8, 2019 6:49 PM

I still think she is one of the most photogenic actresses of all time in this movie. When she opened the door for George Peppard, in the scene when she had her sleeping mask and pajamas on, she really took my breath away.

by Anonymousreply 37December 8, 2019 7:04 PM

Audrey and Albert Finney were exquisite in Two for the Road . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38December 9, 2019 3:31 AM

If only the rest of the film was as great as the intro.

An empty 5th Ave and 57th street. Tiffany, Bonwit's. The limestone. That dress. The pearls. Breakfast out of a paper bag.

And that beautiful melancholy melody.

by Anonymousreply 39December 9, 2019 3:48 AM

[quote]As the '60s wore on she adopted that London Mod Look - which was really for the very young only and never flattering. It looked silly on her. I think her light went out, actually.

True. And she really looked dopey in the Courrèges's space age stuff. She was meant more for YSL and Valentino.

by Anonymousreply 40December 9, 2019 3:56 AM

[quote] Peppard was good looking but cold. They fucked one afternoon but never kissed or touched each other again and suddenly we're supposed to believe they're secretly madly in love? There was ZERO chemistry between them.

Well, remember that his character in the original novella is pretty clearly gay, and in the film that same character is being kept by a lesbian. So clarifying sexual matters isn't this movie's strong suit.

by Anonymousreply 41December 9, 2019 3:57 AM

A dream of NYC that never really existed.

by Anonymousreply 42December 9, 2019 3:59 AM

[quote] As the '60s wore on she adopted that London Mod Look - which was really for the very young only

And for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43December 9, 2019 3:59 AM

No love for me?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 9, 2019 4:00 AM

r41 Why would a lesbian want to keep a man?

by Anonymousreply 45December 9, 2019 4:16 AM

I preferred this movie when it was just a gay fave remembered by a few old queens like me. It's now a dreadful frau cult thing. They'd better leave Laura Mars alone. It's all we've got left.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 9, 2019 8:40 AM

Not too shabby

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 9, 2019 12:10 PM

hawt

by Anonymousreply 48December 9, 2019 12:16 PM

Audrey Hepburn looked like she didn't get a lot of love and hot sex in her young life. When she was a teen, right after the war, she must have been very very captivating because everyone important she met threw opportunities at her. I think perhaps like Jane Fonda, she was forever challenged with body dysmorphia. Mel Ferrer was bi at best and probably only got really hot with Cary Grant's dick in his mouth, .

by Anonymousreply 49December 9, 2019 8:44 PM

It's cute in a dated way. It does not really hold up as a great film- wasn't even realistic in its time- just pretty, a bit clever and with that wonderful actress Audrey H. who had a Garland like quality of making the implausible normal.

by Anonymousreply 50December 9, 2019 8:55 PM

[quote]R49 I think perhaps like Jane Fonda, she was forever challenged with body dysmorphia.

She was out and out anorexic - tho her die hard fans freak out at the idea. Shirley MacLaine remembers that Hepburn would eat 1 hard boiled egg for lunch when they worked together.

The basis of the fear is she gained a lot of weight coming over on the boat to NY, to make her Broadway debut in GIGI. She almost got fired and had to starve the weight off. She was terrified of gaining weight from then on.

by Anonymousreply 51December 9, 2019 9:04 PM

I thought it was deprivation during the war that caused her eating disorder.

by Anonymousreply 52December 9, 2019 9:24 PM

I love that taxi with the wings....and the two-tone paintwork. So cool.

by Anonymousreply 53December 10, 2019 1:41 AM

Sorry, fins, not wings.

by Anonymousreply 54December 10, 2019 1:42 AM

[quote]r52 I thought it was deprivation during the war that caused her eating disorder.

Well, that makes for a nobler story.

That (and working as a dancer) did give her with a willowy build, but it was the deprivation of the war years (and upcoming career nerves) that made her gorge on so much chocolate while sailing from Europe to America that she frightened the play's producers...and herself.

I don't know how much she actually gained, but it was significant enough to cause panic in the production.

by Anonymousreply 55December 10, 2019 4:36 AM

She was Jake Gyllenhaal fat.

by Anonymousreply 56December 10, 2019 12:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!