Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mechanical heart valves

I had the Bentall procedure done two weeks ago, and opted for a mechanical valve because it likely means I'll never have to go through open heart surgery again (I am also pretty young, so my surgeon suggested it). The surgery went smoothly, but now that I'm recovering at home, the ticking of the valve is driving me semi-mad at night. I can also hear it when sitting in certain positions. I know this is normal, but it is very bizarre. Sometimes it sounds like it is emanating from my left shoulder. It is somewhat creepy. Does anyone have first-hand experience with this? Do you eventually not notice it as time goes on? I'm not sure which is less frightening--being able to hear it, or not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 7, 2019 7:58 PM

I believe it takes some time to get used to it, like people who get used to the rumbling noise when living next to train or subway tracks or nearby an airport.

by Anonymousreply 1December 7, 2019 7:15 PM

I have tinnitus, OP. I'm not used to it.

by Anonymousreply 2December 7, 2019 7:17 PM

Believe it or not, some people find the heartbeat sound soothing. It's one of the options on those sound machines that people play at night to help them "relax" and sleep.

by Anonymousreply 3December 7, 2019 7:23 PM

OP, I had a biomechanical aortic valve put in at age 40 (I am now 53). You do hear it less and less as you get older, although i will be in rooms with people and they'll say, "What's that loud ticking sound? is it your watch?" and I'll have to explain it's my heart valve.

It bugged me the first few weeks, but then a doctor said, "Hearing it should make you realize how safe you are from further valve trouble--unlike the valve you were born with, it will never wear out." I find it kind of comforting now on the odd occasions when I become aware of it.

by Anonymousreply 4December 7, 2019 7:25 PM

R3 believe it or not, it isn't actually a heartbeat sound that I'm hearing--it sounds more like a ticking stopwatch. It's the mechanical valve opening and closing as my heart beats. It's a very odd sensation, to say the least.

R4 that is good to know that the sound fades over time. I am not even 30 yet, so I had a bit of a freak out when I realized I'd be hearing this thing for the rest of my life. I'm obviously grateful for it as otherwise I was going to die, but it's a strange thing to adjust to.

by Anonymousreply 5December 7, 2019 7:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!