Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eldergays, tell me about Michelle Phillips’ casting on Knots Landing

Was she still considered a reasonably big star by that point or was the show considered a step up for her that she was lucky to have? Did her full-time job as a soap actress after her previous career in the late ‘60s seem odd? And was it strange when her daughter began to have success with Wilson Phillips at the same time?

by Anonymousreply 6December 2, 2019 5:18 PM

I remember Kathleen Sullivan interviewed her on CBS This Morning after she got hired. Michelle breezily said she smoked pot all the time and Kathleen Sullivan looked disgusted-this was the Just Say No period.

I also remember Chynna and Michelle on the cover of People and Chynna staring, “I will raise my children with very different values.” I always found Chynna to be a sanctimonious bitch.

by Anonymousreply 1December 1, 2019 5:43 PM

No one else has anything to say?

by Anonymousreply 2December 2, 2019 9:27 AM

She was a pretty much a nobody by the time of Knots, a souvenir from a totally different era. But she was still great looking, and she was grateful for the new direction the show gave her, so she took her new job seriously. I thought she brought a very refreshing quality to the show as Anne.

by Anonymousreply 3December 2, 2019 9:46 AM

She was fabulous as Anne. She did bring a lot to the show.

by Anonymousreply 4December 2, 2019 10:27 AM

OP, you are really asking the pertinent questions of our time.

by Anonymousreply 5December 2, 2019 3:28 PM

I aim to please, R6.

I was a little confused about her stature by the mid eighties. She got the Special Guest Star billing in season eight that was reserved for Ava Gardner and Ruth Roman (I think Michael York got it next season too; was she as big as he was at the time?) and did half a season then. Then she left the show but returned full-time towards the end of season eleven was given a normal credit in the show's opening.

The show seemed to treat her as a big deal when she first arrived. She got a sexy episode cliffhanger entrance, they gave her a lot of juicy screen-time, and even paid for the rights to Dedicated To The One I Love.

Oh, and according to Wikipedia Chynna is a born-again Xtian.

by Anonymousreply 6December 2, 2019 5:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!