Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you think Diane Keaton was very attractive back in the '70s?

I thought she was at the time.

Also, watching the final scene of Annie Hall, which I will link, even though people seem get so upset at the idea of watching a 2 minute video...as I was saying, the final scene you hear her singing and she had a very nice singing voice. Don't you think? She could have pursued that more...if she hadn't been as freaked out about her sudden stardom.

Also, I was thinking, must have been quite a boon to score Warren Beatty as your steady BF at the time, even if he had been rather passed around. I think people rather rolled their eyes when they saw her went for her...as in "Here we go again..." - Warren dating the hot female star - Oscar winner of the moment.

Anyway, here's the video (runs just under 3 minutes).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62December 1, 2019 1:34 AM

La di da. La di da.

by Anonymousreply 1November 27, 2019 2:53 AM

I feel like her looks changed sometime in the 80s. In the 70s and early 80s it looks like she doesn't have cheekbones or something.

by Anonymousreply 2November 27, 2019 2:55 AM

I thought she was beautiful.

She also sings in Radio Days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 27, 2019 2:56 AM

She blew hot & cold in the looks department. Sometimes quite plain, others very pretty. It was the same in Goodbar. Sometimes plain, sometimes pretty.

by Anonymousreply 4November 27, 2019 2:57 AM

That pic is from Goodbar, R3.

by Anonymousreply 5November 27, 2019 2:58 AM

Yes! Beautiful then and beautiful now.

by Anonymousreply 6November 27, 2019 2:58 AM

People forget what an enormous style influence Keaton was in that era. Part of it was the Annie Hall menswear influence, but Keaton brought her own funky wonky sophistication as well.

Here's actress Jan Smithers on WKRP rocking an Annie Hall-era look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 27, 2019 3:02 AM

She looked like a nutcase when she went to pick up her Oscar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 27, 2019 3:05 AM

Here's the rest of the outfit in R8

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 27, 2019 3:09 AM

Do young lesbians/bi-gals do ANNIE HALL? They could do worse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 27, 2019 3:10 AM

I like the outfit, but the hair is pretty bad.

by Anonymousreply 11November 27, 2019 3:10 AM

She was attractive. Not a great beauty, but pretty.

Warren Beatty took up with her because she was the hot actress at the time, having won an Oscar for "Annie Hall." Some People magazine article about Hollywood couples gushed that the compulsively promiscuous Beatty had "never been happier" in his relationship with Keaton and that was due in part to her being "as smart as he is." Diane Keaton "smart?" Anyway, they did that "Reds" project together and the relationship, of course, eventually ended.

The "Annie Hall" look was in for a while, but it really only suited the eccentric Keaton. It was really awful; layers of mismatched thrift shop men's clothing. How could THAT look good on any woman but Keaton?

by Anonymousreply 12November 27, 2019 3:11 AM

Yes. she was beautiful. Young, middle and old. Relative to other actresses her age, she is astonishingly beautiful as an old lady. Only Fonda. She's had really successful plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 13November 27, 2019 3:11 AM

[quote]She's had really successful plastic surgery.

I really don't think she's had any.

by Anonymousreply 14November 27, 2019 3:13 AM

Attractive is the correct word to describe a woman like Diane Keaton. She is not pretty nor sexy nor gorgeous. She is someone who has made the best with what she has. Therefore, she is "attractive". That is the proper use of the word attractive when used in describing a person with looks like Diane Keaton. Another example of this would be Jill Clayburg or Paula Abdul. Neither one of these would be declared beauty queens, but they've done the best with what they have. They wear nice makeup, arrange their hair in a smart style, have teeth that are straightened and it is obvious that they wash their beavers on a regular basis. Therefore they may be classified as attractive only. Not pretty, Not gorgeous, Not hot, Not a knock out, just attractive.

by Anonymousreply 15November 27, 2019 3:14 AM

Keaton never had "great" hair. She overdid the crazy perms for a while, but her own hair was very fine and straight. I saw pictures of her as a blonde when she just started out--she looked terrible.

I actually really liked her simple bob in "Play It Again Sam." It suited her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 27, 2019 3:15 AM

Disarming, that's her.

by Anonymousreply 17November 27, 2019 3:17 AM

Re the “attractive” angle: I have more respect for someone who does something interesting with what they have versus a natural knockout beauty.

by Anonymousreply 18November 27, 2019 3:18 AM

The guys were pretty cute in Goodbar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 27, 2019 3:18 AM

Meh, who hasn't had Warren

by Anonymousreply 20November 27, 2019 3:20 AM

& R. Gere was peaking then too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 27, 2019 3:21 AM

I heard some years ago that Keaton has lifelong eczema, and because of occasional outbreaks chooses tailored clothing that covers her arms and shoulders, and wears pants more often than skirts, or at least short skirts. And the gloves, scarves, hats... etc. That explained a lot of her fashion choices. I think it works for her.

Frankly, I think she's also gotten a lot of mileage for "being smart" for dressing more like an arty UWS intellectual and dating "thinkers" (ahem) like Allen and Beatty than in demonstrating superior intelligence. Keaton is witty and spirited, but truly smart? I'm not so sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 27, 2019 3:24 AM

Those '70s perms were awful as they grew old and lost their shape.

(this is the gayest post/observation I've made in quite a while)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 27, 2019 3:27 AM

OMG - whilst looking for a Richard Gere pic I came across this. You need to click on it to see it properly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 27, 2019 3:32 AM

No perm here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 27, 2019 3:38 AM

Her voice was very grating in the movie Interiors.

by Anonymousreply 26November 27, 2019 3:39 AM

Couldn't find her as a young platinum blonde, but here's some early quasi-blonde Diane.

I'm thinking there was some dental surgery at one point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 27, 2019 3:41 AM

I thought she was very attractive in Goodbar.

I also thought she was attractive in Godfather Part II. I always find Keaton more attractive in dramatic roles because she doesn't do the "La-di-da" bit in them.

by Anonymousreply 28November 27, 2019 3:42 AM

Everyone's voice was grating in Interiors.

I must watch it again, as a grown-up. Maybe I'll get it better.

[quote]She's a vulgarian!

That was the only funny part, I seem to remember.

Didn't she also have an art gallery in the lobby of a Las Vegas hotel?

by Anonymousreply 29November 27, 2019 3:42 AM

Almost unrecognizable in a "Night Gallery" guest spot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 27, 2019 3:44 AM

She published a book of photos of hotel lobbies.

by Anonymousreply 31November 27, 2019 3:44 AM

[quote]I'm thinking there was some dental surgery at one point.

Yes, she had that thing where she'd force herself to throw up after she ate and it rotted her teeth.

by Anonymousreply 32November 27, 2019 3:45 AM

More young Di.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 27, 2019 3:45 AM

She was in Hair on B'way.

She got the look, but hippy she never was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 27, 2019 3:48 AM

Di and Al Pacino doing GODFATHER... and reportedly, each other during the shoot.

Cute pic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 27, 2019 3:49 AM

Barbara Bain and Florence Henderson are two other examples of "attractive".

by Anonymousreply 36November 27, 2019 3:51 AM

Who could blame her, R35?

by Anonymousreply 37November 27, 2019 3:54 AM

I thought she looked great in the Hour After Hour commercial.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 27, 2019 3:55 AM

She was pretty in LOVE & DEATH

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 27, 2019 3:58 AM

That wig at R35 was AWFUL.

by Anonymousreply 40November 27, 2019 4:03 AM

Woody Allen's "Interiors."

A movie about bangs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 27, 2019 4:06 AM

She looked bad in Little Drummer Girl.

I'll never forget the NY Times review, when instead of reviewing the film, he quoted the girls sitting behind him "Oh, my God...she looks awful!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 27, 2019 4:07 AM

No kidding, R42. The stylist on that movie was not her friend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43November 27, 2019 4:11 AM

[quote]The stylist on that movie was not her friend.

OMG, that's hilarious, R43.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 27, 2019 4:14 AM

Kris looks hawt though, doesn't he?

by Anonymousreply 45November 27, 2019 4:16 AM

She regreshed her look with yuppie chic in Baby Boom, 4 years later. No more mullets and/or bad perms.

by Anonymousreply 46November 27, 2019 4:17 AM

[quote]She regreshed her look with yuppie chic in Baby Boom, 4 years later.

Yes, but she was moving into '80s trashy frau shit movies and never returned to her former glory.

by Anonymousreply 47November 27, 2019 4:20 AM

She has quite droopy eyes. Glasses, bangs, berets etc. distract from them.

by Anonymousreply 48November 27, 2019 4:26 AM

Cute in "Shoot The Moon".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 27, 2019 4:30 AM

I totally agree about The Little Drummer Girl. Holy shit, she looked awful, which is rare for Keaton.

She did look great by Baby Boom, and I would argue she looked her best in the first Father of the Bride. She looked great in that film. But I do agree with r47 that she became lost in frau flicks. Of course, her sole foray into drama - Marvin's Room - rewarded her with another Oscar nomination. But she didn't take the hint and do more dramas.

Personally, I prefer Keaton's dramatic performances - Goodbar, Reds, Shoot the Moon, Marvin's Room are some of her best.

by Anonymousreply 50November 27, 2019 4:34 AM

More old ladies should wear gloves to hide their wrinkly hands. A smooth, botoxed face and hands that look like paper wads isn’t a good look.

by Anonymousreply 51November 27, 2019 4:58 AM

Very 80s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52November 28, 2019 12:28 AM

High school photo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53November 28, 2019 12:31 AM

Color.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54November 28, 2019 12:32 AM

Keaton never looked better than in Baby Boom. That great Armani wardrobe. She always makes sure things are personalized though with the wide belts, long strides in pants and high waisted skirts, tight dresses that cover up everything but her beautiful legs. I think she has fantastic personal style. But it should not be imposed on all her characters. As someone said above, we get a much better chance to notice what a deep and talented actress she is in Marvin's Room, Goodbar, Shoot The Moon. She didn't get Keatonize the wardrobe and hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 28, 2019 12:36 AM

[quote]The stylist on that movie was not her friend.

She was the stylist on that movie apparently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56November 28, 2019 12:37 AM

She sings "What'll I Do" in "Northern Lights".

by Anonymousreply 57November 28, 2019 3:23 AM

She looks great in this clip from 2005 and is incredibly clear and decisive, for her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58November 30, 2019 10:20 PM

Oprah: Favorite book?

Diane: Not the Bible.

by Anonymousreply 59November 30, 2019 10:23 PM

Bitch had a career.

by Anonymousreply 60November 30, 2019 10:24 PM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61December 1, 2019 1:29 AM

Today I watched a new to me Diane Keaton movie, Five Flights Up. The Netflix thumbnail made it looked like an imitation Hallmark movie so I hadn't seen it. It was great. Diane and Morgan Freeman now struggle to get up the five flights of stairs to their Brooklyn penthouse, so they set about selling it via Diane's realtor niece, Cynthia Nixon. There are lots of flashbacks to 40 years prior, when the young couple first moved in. The guy who plays young Morgan Freeman is really hot and the actress that plays Diane is perfect.

by Anonymousreply 62December 1, 2019 1:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!