Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What are your favorite trilogies?

Humans love groupings of three. A socio-biological explanation is that we identify closely with the father-mother-me configuration.

In the arts, that translates into trilogies of movies, books, operas, paintings, etc,

My fav is the Godfather movie trilogy.

What's your favorite trilogy?

by Anonymousreply 56November 22, 2019 5:43 AM

Concertos have three movements.

Tchikovsky's violin concerto and Grieg's piano concerto are fantastic

by Anonymousreply 1November 20, 2019 2:13 PM

Three Colors. Such a beautiful set of films.

by Anonymousreply 2November 20, 2019 2:14 PM

Richard Linklater's "Before" trilogy of films starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy.

by Anonymousreply 3November 20, 2019 2:17 PM

Barbershop

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 20, 2019 2:21 PM

The Lord of the Rings.

All three nominated for Best Picture, but only the last, The Return of the King, won.

(But all three Extended Cut video releases, though longer, are actually better films.)

by Anonymousreply 5November 20, 2019 2:41 PM

Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy. I could not put these books down. Then Mary mercifully wrote a 4th book (The Wicked Day) to give us closure. I cannot recommend highly enough.

by Anonymousreply 6November 20, 2019 2:42 PM

Lord of the Rings is an incredible achievement

by Anonymousreply 7November 20, 2019 2:43 PM

Oops forgot to post link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 20, 2019 2:43 PM

The original Star Wars trilogy

by Anonymousreply 9November 20, 2019 2:43 PM

Lord of the Rings (books); Star Wars (original movies); Earthsea books (the original 3 books); Quantum Leap 3-episodes entitled, Trilogy.

However, I wonder whether some of the ones listed in this thread were actually intended to be trilogies. A real trilogy is three separate, independent stories that all have definitive endings, but that combine to form a broader, more complete story. They're connected to each other, but are individual stories that can be viewed as three individual works or a single combined work.

Lord of the Rings was one book that the publishers broke into 3 volumes. Sequels to an original are not really a trilogy either. To me a true trilogy is a story told in three parts, but are not direct continuations (one starts where the previous left off as LotR does) of each other. Stuff like Jurassic Park with two sequels is not a trilogy, nor Back to the Future.

by Anonymousreply 10November 20, 2019 3:04 PM

Gormenghast Trilogy. Brilliant read. Fucking impossible to do justice to it in film form.

by Anonymousreply 11November 20, 2019 3:37 PM

Philip Glass' opera trilogy (Einstein on the Beach, Satyagraha, Ahknaten)

Donizetti's three operas about English Queens ---not a real trilogy but presented that way

by Anonymousreply 12November 20, 2019 3:52 PM

Cormac McCarthy’s Border Trilogy.

by Anonymousreply 13November 20, 2019 3:59 PM

Rebecca West’s trilogy: The Fountain Overflows, This Real Night, Cousin Rosamund. It’s the story of a family set before World War I and recall by the narrator, a daughter, fifty years later. Beautifully evocative of its era and specifically the lives of interpretative artists. It’s also Dickensian it it’s depiction of supporting characters. West also wrote a travel record of a journey to then Yugoslavia before World War II, Black Lamb, Grey Falcon, that’s considered her masterwork.

by Anonymousreply 14November 20, 2019 4:14 PM

I don’t know how to respond to another’s submission but I want to thank them for posting about Mary Stewart’s Merlin trilogy. My mother read these in the sixties and I’m definitely going to read these.

by Anonymousreply 15November 20, 2019 4:25 PM

[quote] My fav is the Godfather movie trilogy.

The Godfather 1 was the original; Godfather 2 was a sequel / prequel. Godfather 3 was a huge mistake. I guess the movies are technically a trilogy, but G3 is far, far below G1 and G2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 20, 2019 4:46 PM

That was me R15. I found The Hollow Hills (the second book in the trilogy) in a box in my sister's garage about 30 years ago and was instantly hooked. I checked them all out of the library and devoured them like a starving person. I will definitely revisit them. Enjoy, you are in for an addictive treat.

by Anonymousreply 17November 20, 2019 4:48 PM

Linda Ronstadt’s mid-‘70s trilogy of her three best albums:

Prisoner in Disguise (1975)

Hasten down the Wind (1976)

Simple Dreams (1977).

by Anonymousreply 18November 20, 2019 4:48 PM

Roger the blond, Derek the bearcub, and Lou the pig at Steamworks, 1978.

by Anonymousreply 19November 20, 2019 4:51 PM

[quote] G3 is far, far below G1 and G2

I didnt mind the story of GF3. The big problem was Sofia Coppola's horrid acting.

by Anonymousreply 20November 20, 2019 5:55 PM

Dune is a trilogy, right?

by Anonymousreply 21November 20, 2019 5:55 PM

The Exorcist trilogy! Yes Part II: The Heretic was a hot mess shitshow, but it's actually a quite hilarious campfest if you go in with that expectation.

by Anonymousreply 22November 20, 2019 6:03 PM

The Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan trilogy. Joe Vs the Volcano especially.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 20, 2019 6:45 PM

Three Sisters

the Boswell Sisters

The Del Rubio Triplets

by Anonymousreply 24November 20, 2019 6:50 PM

The Falls Trilogy about gay Mormon lovers.

by Anonymousreply 25November 20, 2019 6:52 PM

And to think you guys are posting on other subjects 😂

by Anonymousreply 26November 20, 2019 7:00 PM

Frisky Summer 1, 2 and 3

by Anonymousreply 27November 20, 2019 7:16 PM

for r18, Linda Ronstadt's Prisoner in Disguise album:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 20, 2019 7:22 PM

The Lehman Trilogy Play

by Anonymousreply 29November 20, 2019 8:18 PM

Legendary made-for-television movie "Trilogy of Terror" starring Karen Black.

"GitchaGitchaGitchaGitchaGitchaGitcha..." as I swipe my little knife blade back and forth beneath the door.

by Anonymousreply 30November 20, 2019 8:45 PM

High School Musical, bitches. Ashley Tisdale is a REVELATION. Or Toy Story. I do NOT recognize #4. Same with Indiana Jones. Indy is probably my true fave trilogy.

Wait, no, Lord of the Rings.

Ok:

Lord of the Rings Indiana Jones (#4 isn't real) Toy Story (#4 isn't real) High School Musical (judge me, bitches)

by Anonymousreply 31November 20, 2019 8:48 PM

RW Fassbinder's BRD Trilogy is sublime melodrama:

The Marriage of Maria Braun (1979) begins in the last days of World War II during the rushed marriage ceremony of Maria Braun, after which her husband is sent to battle the advancing Allies. After Maria later hears that he has been killed, she becomes the mistress of an African-American soldier. When Maria's husband unexpectedly returns alive, she kills the soldier in a scuffle, but her husband takes the blame. Maria becomes the self-centered assistant and lover of a wealthy industrialist and a model of post-war recovery.

Veronika Voss (1982) depicts the twilight years of film actress Veronika Voss in stark black-and-white. A sports reporter becomes enthralled by the unbalanced actress and discovers that she is under the power of a villainous doctor who keeps her addicted to opiates in order to steal her wealth. Despite his best attempts, he is unable to save her from a terrible end. The original German title, Die Sehnsucht der Veronika Voss, translates as "The longing of Veronika Voss". Lola (1981) is loosely based on Josef von Sternberg’s The Blue Angel and its source novel Professor Unrat by Heinrich Mann. It tells the story of an upright new building commissioner named Von Bohm who comes to a small town. He falls in love with Lola, innocent of the fact that she is a famed prostitute and the mistress of Shuckert, an unscrupulous developer. Unable to reconcile his idealistic images of Lola with reality, Von Bohm spirals into the very corruption he had sought to fight."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 20, 2019 9:04 PM

Tears

Gin

Regret

by Anonymousreply 33November 20, 2019 9:09 PM

Caftan

Earrings

Hole

Also the Levant Trilogy.

by Anonymousreply 34November 20, 2019 9:46 PM

Wagner’s Ring Cycle.

The cornetto trilogy.

by Anonymousreply 35November 20, 2019 11:08 PM

Isaac Asimov's original Foundation Trilogy: Foundation, Foundation and Empire, Second Foundation.

Lord of the Ring Trilogy: books and movies.

The Millennium Trilogy: Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, The Girl Who Played With Fire, books and movies.

by Anonymousreply 36November 20, 2019 11:23 PM

of Terror

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 20, 2019 11:29 PM

Robertson Davies’ Deptford Trilogy

by Anonymousreply 38November 20, 2019 11:33 PM

Isaac Asimov's original Foundation Trilogy: Foundation, Foundation and Empire, Second Foundation

... It was more than a trilogy. But I agree they are superb. Don't even mention LOTR in the same breath. The Foundation series even merged with his Robot series at the end. Genius.

by Anonymousreply 39November 21, 2019 12:01 AM

Jurassic Park 1,2, and 3. Jurassic World movies can suck it

by Anonymousreply 40November 21, 2019 12:05 AM

Truman Capote's "Trilogy"

"A Christmas Memory" starring Geraldine Page, who is astonishing, will break your heart, in a good and satisfying way.

"Miriam" starring Mildred Natwick is a ghost story of sorts about an elderly woman plagued by the presence of a young girl.

"Among the Paths of Eden" starring Maureen Stapleton is about a widow who routinely visits a cemetery hoping to talk to new widowers seeking a companion.

What an amazing cast. Two of these stories can be seen separately on YouTube. "Memory" is by far the best of the lot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 21, 2019 12:28 AM

The Apu Trilogy.

by Anonymousreply 42November 21, 2019 12:30 AM

R42, can’t believe I forgot about that!! Those three satyajit Ray movies are absolute masterpieces!

I haven’t seen them in decades. Because you brought back the memories, I’m going to find them and watch again

by Anonymousreply 43November 21, 2019 3:04 AM

The Old Testament, The New Testament and the US Constitution

by Anonymousreply 44November 21, 2019 3:05 AM

The Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost.

by Anonymousreply 45November 21, 2019 3:07 AM

R39, when I first read the first Foundation books (late 60s), they were indeed a stand-alone trilogy. Asimov added additional novels many years later. He definitely was a brilliant and prolific author, plus a very interesting man.

by Anonymousreply 46November 21, 2019 3:43 AM

The Foundation and Robots were also merged with the Empire series (Pebble in the Sky, Stars Like Dust, Currents of Space).

by Anonymousreply 47November 21, 2019 3:37 PM

Arvo Kruusement's Lutsu film trilogy (Kevade/Spring, Suvi/Summer & Sügis/Winter), filmed over the course of 21 years. It's fascinating to see these actors go from fresh-faced teenagers to middle-aged people. Unfortunately it's pretty much unknown outside of Estonia, even among people who consider themselves to be serious film connoisseurs.

by Anonymousreply 48November 21, 2019 4:40 PM

R48 reminds me of Eric Rohmer. Any of his films form trilogies? Too lazy to google.

by Anonymousreply 49November 21, 2019 5:42 PM

Good one R42.

I would like to enter Snap, Crackle and Pop into the record.

by Anonymousreply 50November 21, 2019 7:07 PM

Whoopi's wise, magical slave/mammy/maid trilogy: "Clara's Heart", "Sister Act" and "Corrina, Corrina"

by Anonymousreply 51November 21, 2019 8:22 PM

The last three Midwestern Magnificences: Another World, As the World Turns, and Guiding Light.

by Anonymousreply 52November 21, 2019 8:39 PM

Linda, Christy, and Naomi

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53November 21, 2019 9:35 PM

Torch song trilogy ...

by Anonymousreply 54November 21, 2019 9:42 PM

His Dark Materials, and so enjoying it reborn on HBO. I don’t know why it is, but it’s always the second one that is my favorite in most trilogies. Does anyone else veer towards a particular one consistently?

by Anonymousreply 55November 21, 2019 10:49 PM

Nothing comes close to the original Star Wars trilogy. They were so much fun. We were accustomed to sci-fi movies being low budget or cheesy. It was a blast to see a big-budget, big-concept space epic.

I have fond memories of the Deptford Trilogy. My father pushed us to read books that were beyond our understanding, not beyond our vocabulary or reading ability, but beyond our ability to understand subtext. At 12 I might not have understood Davies' books perfectly, but I finally felt I was grasping what I was reading.

by Anonymousreply 56November 22, 2019 5:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!