Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I think it’s time we revisit “The Last Picture Show” (1971) and the beauty that was Cybill Shepherd

I mean, she was just angelic in this! Divine!!! Her face was so pretty, and her style worked well in this film.

I love this movie, about small town Texan teens pretty much sinning with their sexual desires and appetites.

Young Jeff Bridges was so hot in this. I never knew that was him!!! Very cute.

I love the pool scene when they make Cybill take off her clothes. I couldn’t find the scene in English but YouTube does have it in another language. The guy in that scene is so hot!!!

And kudos to Cloris Leachman for getting that young, fresh Cock. She got what every DLer craves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 10, 2020 1:01 AM

That woman had a jawline like Jack Palance. Heaven knows what she looks like now.

Ans she must have been suss if she got it on with little Frankenheimer or whatever his name was.

by Anonymousreply 1November 16, 2019 4:50 AM

OP - you "never knew" Jeff Bridges was in it? You never read a credit? Review? And yet you adore this movie?

by Anonymousreply 2November 16, 2019 5:09 AM

Love Cybill. She’s fierce, appealing and engaging. I wish she worked more.

by Anonymousreply 3November 16, 2019 5:44 AM

If there were a Cybill Shepard biopic, who would play her?

by Anonymousreply 4November 16, 2019 6:20 AM

a must see for all the stars, young and old, that are in it....unreall….number one is the classic legendary performance of miss cloris leachman. ..its burned into my soul, they way she falls apart having loved the young boy, and then he ditches her. soooo goood

by Anonymousreply 5November 16, 2019 6:26 AM

And Randy Quaid

by Anonymousreply 6November 16, 2019 6:30 AM

R3 You say she's 'fierce' but Is she aggressive as well? Is she aggressive in a masculine way?

The dictionary meaning of the word 'fierce' is 'having or displaying an intense or ferocious aggressiveness'.

by Anonymousreply 7November 16, 2019 7:28 AM

Gary Brockette was the star of my Last Picture Show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 16, 2019 7:34 AM

Angela Lansbury should have played the Cloris Leechman part, she would have been tremendous.

by Anonymousreply 9November 16, 2019 8:04 AM

I have the DVD signed by Academy Award winner Cloris Leechman.

by Anonymousreply 10November 16, 2019 8:32 AM

R8 is that from The Directors cut?

In the theatrical release we don’t see his cock

by Anonymousreply 11November 16, 2019 12:58 PM

I don't know, r11. I've only seen that pic on the internet. I didn't remember seeing dong in the movie, either, last time I watched it, sometime in the early 2000s. I just ordered the director's cut (2010). I'll get back to you on it.

by Anonymousreply 12November 16, 2019 1:15 PM

I always remember dong from the movie. I’ll rewatch my copy and report back.

by Anonymousreply 13November 16, 2019 1:17 PM

[quote] If there were a Cybill Shepard biopic, who would play her?

Well, Sharon Stone, Catherine O’Hara, Annette Bening, Katey Segal and Annie Potts have all played unflattering versions of her. In the case of Segal and Potts, each had previously acted opposite Cybill before so it makes you wonder how much that colored their performances.

by Anonymousreply 14November 16, 2019 1:45 PM

To hell with Cybil. Let's talk about all the hot guys in that scene. Even crazy Randy Quaid was kind of sexy in a doofus way.

by Anonymousreply 15November 16, 2019 1:53 PM

R4, Miss Martha Stewart, of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 16, 2019 2:01 PM

Cybill played Martha Stewart in a TV movie

by Anonymousreply 17November 16, 2019 2:03 PM

Well...no putting one over on r17.

by Anonymousreply 18November 16, 2019 2:04 PM

I’ve always wondered if the sequel, Texasville, is worth watching. Is it?

by Anonymousreply 19November 16, 2019 2:11 PM

R18 I have never seen it but I always heard it was stupid and a soap opera.

“The summer of 1984: 32 years after Duane Jackson captained the high school football team and Jacy Farrow was homecoming queen, the small town of Anarene, Texas prepares for its centennial celebration. Oil prices are down, banks are failing, and Duane's $12 million in debt. His wife Karla drinks too much, his children are always in trouble, and he tom-cats around with the wives of friends. Jacy's back in town, after a mildly successful acting career, life in Italy, and the death of her son. People assume Duane and Jacy will resume their high school romance. And Sonny is "tired in his mind," causing worries for his safety. Can these friends find equilibrium in middle age?“

by Anonymousreply 20November 16, 2019 2:14 PM

I hated Texasville but thought the novel sucked.

by Anonymousreply 21November 16, 2019 2:14 PM

There are 5 novels based on these characters.

by Anonymousreply 22November 16, 2019 2:16 PM

Timothy Bottoms has such an unfortunate surname

by Anonymousreply 23November 16, 2019 2:16 PM

Cybill Shepherd was cast with the option of backing out of her nude scenes if she so desired. She only agreed to do them after asking the opinions of three female costars - Cloris Leachman, Ellen Burstyn and Eileen Brennan - who all thought she should do them.

by Anonymousreply 24November 16, 2019 2:19 PM

It's a great movie and what stands out is the cinematography, the music, and how well the characters are drawn (particularly from the three great ladies: Leachman, Brennan, and Burstyn). I've seen it many times, and my only challenges are with the occasional weak acting performances and choppy editing.

by Anonymousreply 25November 16, 2019 2:19 PM

R22 - what are the other three and are they any good?

by Anonymousreply 26November 16, 2019 2:21 PM

Didn’t Cybill get cast in this because the director saw her on the cover of a magazine?

And then she had a “fling” with Jeff Bridges and then started fucking the Director, who was married with kids and that destroyed his family?

by Anonymousreply 27November 16, 2019 2:26 PM

R26 they are...

“The Last Picture Show” (1966)

“Texasville” (1987)

“Duane’s Depressed” (1999)

“When The Light Goes” (2007)

“Rhino Ranch: A Novel” (2009)

Only the first is good but it’s still An entertaining read.

by Anonymousreply 28November 16, 2019 2:28 PM

Did Cybill screw the Bottoms brothers?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 16, 2019 2:32 PM

r26, if you like TLPS and its follow-up novels, you may enjoy Larry McMurtry's earlier Texas trilogy, Moving On, All My Friends Are Going to Be Strangers, and Terms of Endearment. He was my favorite author other than Philip Roth in the early '70s, before we started to have so many gay novels to read.

by Anonymousreply 30November 16, 2019 2:46 PM

r26, if you like TLPS and its follow-up novels, you may enjoy Larry McMurtry's earlier Texas trilogy, Moving On, All My Friends Are Going to Be Strangers, and Terms of Endearment. He was my favorite author other than Philip Roth in the early '70s, before we started to have so many gay novels to read.

by Anonymousreply 31November 16, 2019 2:46 PM

Fun fact... Annie Potts was a front runner to become an Oscar contender for “Texasville” until the movie tanked, killing any chances of her getting the nomination

by Anonymousreply 32November 16, 2019 2:54 PM

[quote]And kudos to Cloris Leachman for getting that young, fresh Cock.

All 3 seconds of it.

by Anonymousreply 33November 16, 2019 3:16 PM

R33 you would kill to have 3 seconds with a young HS hottie

by Anonymousreply 34November 16, 2019 3:20 PM

Thanks r28!

[quote] [R26], if you like TLPS and its follow-up novels, you may enjoy Larry McMurtry's earlier Texas trilogy, Moving On, All My Friends Are Going to Be Strangers, and Terms of Endearment.

Thanks for the recommendation r30! I actually read that trilogy about 30 years ago. Strangers was a drag but I enjoyed Moving On (Patsy’s story) and especially Terms which is a great read and very different from the film (although I enjoyed that too).

by Anonymousreply 35November 16, 2019 4:55 PM

I thought Ellen Burstyn was beautiful in this movie too.

by Anonymousreply 36November 16, 2019 5:12 PM

Timothy Bottoms was so much cuter than Jeff Bridges in this, and I liked his character so much more.

by Anonymousreply 37November 16, 2019 5:13 PM

I think you’re supposed to like Bottoms character much more than Bridges. It’s too bad he got shortchanged in Texasville.

by Anonymousreply 38November 16, 2019 5:16 PM

I Think It’s Time We Revisit the BEST EVER released shallow grave when the Aspie Pop Cultural Cataloguer goes Straight Down the Shitter Seen as a Great Beauty in Her Day?

by Anonymousreply 39November 16, 2019 5:18 PM

It's still a real shame that Randy Quaid is full-frontal in this (that scene you posted if you freeze-frame) though he was kind of cute back then, and in some bizarre self-posts in recent years, and that his hot brother Dennis never did full-frontal. Timothy Bottoms went full-frontal a few yeas ago in a film called "Welcome to The Men's Group" along with one of Patty Duke's kids and some other guys.

by Anonymousreply 40November 16, 2019 5:19 PM

It's a shame Timothy Bottoms waited decades later to do a nude scene. Would rather have seen him naked when he was younger.

by Anonymousreply 41November 16, 2019 5:40 PM

What was wrong with Cybill Shepard’s character? She was going from guy to guy, causing issues and fights and drama.

by Anonymousreply 42November 16, 2019 5:44 PM

Cybill was perfectly cast as Jacy in this.

McMurtry dedicated Texasville to her but rumor was he tried to retract the dedication after Cybill married Bruce Oppenheimer- I guess McMurtry still had the hots for her? Anyway, Cybill was awful in Texasville and didn’t have the dramatic skills the character now required (Jacy returns home after losing a child). I had high hopes because she had several dramatic scenes on Moonlighting which she handled quite well. I think she lost her acting ability (again) with the birth of the twins.

by Anonymousreply 43November 16, 2019 6:18 PM

[quote]In the theatrical release we don’t see his cock

I know those boys needed a chiropractor after spending all day hunched over and contorting to avoid showing their flaccid little dicks.

by Anonymousreply 44November 16, 2019 7:55 PM

The theatrical release you see him walk out of the water waist up. No Cock.

by Anonymousreply 45November 16, 2019 8:12 PM

If you look closely r44, the one that is changing the music has a modesty sock over his junk.

by Anonymousreply 46November 16, 2019 8:12 PM

I found Timothy Bottoms adorable. I never found Jeff Bridges attractive, and always found his screen presence off-putting.

by Anonymousreply 47January 3, 2020 1:58 PM

A transcendent film that blows me away every time.

by Anonymousreply 48January 3, 2020 2:15 PM

A great film with terrific performances from almost everyone. Shepherd is the weakest but is a good fit with the role of flirtatious prettiest girl in town who gets in over her head with the various men/boys in her life. She's surrounded with better actors with more nuanced parts and I think that's why she doesn't bring down the picture. Burstyn, Brennan, and Leachman are all spot-on. Ditto Ben Johnson and the Bottoms brothers. It is a heartbreaking film and much better than the other big coming of age film of the time "Summer of '42".

by Anonymousreply 49January 3, 2020 3:59 PM

Of course Jeff Bridges is the most gorgeous guy in the cast and we get Randy Quaid nude.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 3, 2020 7:57 PM

Re: the Brockette dong. It was visible in the full screen (unmatted) VHS version of the film, which is how I first saw it. It's out of frame on all the widescreen DVD versions I've seen, unfortunately.

Agree that Timothy Bottoms was really cute in this.

by Anonymousreply 51January 4, 2020 5:58 AM

I didn’t realize until I watched that clip that Cybill was so spectacularly beautiful as a young woman.

by Anonymousreply 52January 4, 2020 6:18 AM

Ben Johnson is so spectacular in this. His scene by the pond was so bittersweet.

by Anonymousreply 53January 4, 2020 6:29 AM

Cybill was very beautiful. I hated her character

by Anonymousreply 54January 4, 2020 12:28 PM

This film holds up beautifully

by Anonymousreply 55November 9, 2020 12:16 AM

Ben Johnson originally declined the movie because he didn't approve of swearing. Bogdanovich knew John Ford (worshiped him to be more accurate). Ford called Johnson and talked him into accepting.

by Anonymousreply 56November 9, 2020 7:43 PM

[quote]If there were a Cybill Shepard biopic, who would play her?

Alicia Silverstone would've been good 20 years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57November 9, 2020 7:50 PM

[quote]Did Cybill screw the Bottoms brothers?

I seem to remember reading that there was a little flirtation going on between Cybill and Tim Bottoms. He gifted her a copy of the book "Daisy Miller" that she took to Peter Bogdanovich as a possible follow up movie for her (gee, thanks a LOT, Tim!). Ambitious Cybill of course dumped Tim for the more-powerful producer/director, and Bottoms has been bitter (to put it mildly) towards Peter ever since. He even gave an interview recently in which he claims to have fucked Dorothy Stratten before Peter did.

by Anonymousreply 58November 9, 2020 8:05 PM

What's the deal with Cybill? She sure got a strong reaction from industry folk, but she worked forever... I read her autobiography a long time ago and she was funny.

by Anonymousreply 59November 10, 2020 1:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!