Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sandwich for DInner

Is it healthy to eat a sandwich for dinner most nights? I really don't have time to cook and it causes me a lot of frustration.

by Anonymousreply 40November 16, 2019 12:40 AM

I think it depends on the sandwich, and what kind of bread you're using.

by Anonymousreply 1November 15, 2019 1:44 AM

What causes the frustration? That you are so inept you can only prepare a sandwich?

Why don't you buy other kinds of fast but healthy foods?

by Anonymousreply 2November 15, 2019 1:46 AM

It's healthy if you use a lettuce bun.

by Anonymousreply 3November 15, 2019 1:49 AM

I love ice cream sandwiches.

by Anonymousreply 4November 15, 2019 1:49 AM

One of my favorite dinners:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 15, 2019 1:51 AM

Sure. I love sandwiches, and having one for dinner is fine!

by Anonymousreply 6November 15, 2019 1:54 AM

Is a Manwich a sandwich?

by Anonymousreply 7November 15, 2019 1:56 AM

It’s fine, OP. I had a roommate who used to make fun of my omelet dinners. I’d also make broiled cheddar on whole wheat and a side of fruit.

by Anonymousreply 8November 15, 2019 1:57 AM

There’s an old piece of advice for good health: Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, dine like a pauper.

by Anonymousreply 9November 15, 2019 1:57 AM

^^^ Add a sprinkle of Aromat, and it is heavenly.

by Anonymousreply 10November 15, 2019 1:58 AM

Use some sort of whole wheat bread so you are eating fewer empty carbs.

by Anonymousreply 11November 15, 2019 1:58 AM

Maybe cut out the bread and throw what you were going to put in the inside of the sandwich onto a bed of spinach or romaine? Gee. How old are you?

by Anonymousreply 12November 15, 2019 2:39 AM

If it's this kind of sandwich, you can have one every day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 15, 2019 2:46 AM

OP, a sandwich is just a way of arranging food. If you put a slice of ham on a plate with a dinner roll, next to a bowl full of chopped lettuce and tomato sprinkled with shredded cheese and a dressing of mayonnaise and mustard, no one would criticize your dinner of meat, bread, and salad as nutritionally deficient. Instead of eating those items that way, you could make them into a sandwich by spreading the bread with the mayonnaise and mustard, then wrapping it around the ham, cheese, and vegetables. Go ahead and have a few potato chips if you like, just think of them a thin croutons.

by Anonymousreply 14November 15, 2019 2:48 AM

No R7, a Manwich is a MEAL.

by Anonymousreply 15November 15, 2019 2:54 AM

Remember, OP, that the sandwich was invented by the Earl Of Sandwich. He didn't want to stop playing cards to eat dinner, so his servant brought him the food in a form that could be held in one hand, thus leaving the other hand free to hold his cards. Actually, it was the servant who invented the sandwich, but we don't know his name....

by Anonymousreply 16November 15, 2019 3:01 AM

You could certainly be eating much worse for dinner OP. I would try to ensure I wasn't having bread at other times in the day, is all. If you were to have two slices of toast at breakfast, and possibly another sandwich for lunch, that's too much bread (and salt probably). Otherwise, enjoy your easy dinner!

by Anonymousreply 17November 15, 2019 3:05 AM

I eat Subway for dinner whenever I have coupons.

by Anonymousreply 18November 15, 2019 3:07 AM

R18, I prefer TOGO'S but it's the same basic idea -- big roll spread with mayonnaise and mustard, meat, cheese, lots of raw vegetables (lettuce, tomatoes, onions, peppers, cucumbers). Ask for the wholewheat roll to reduce carbs a little -- very filling and not unhealthy if you don't skimp on the vegetables for fiber.

by Anonymousreply 19November 15, 2019 3:21 AM

What kind of sandwich, OP? What kind of bread? How much mayonnaise?

by Anonymousreply 20November 15, 2019 3:23 AM

What kind of mess is that R5?

by Anonymousreply 21November 15, 2019 3:24 AM

I like peanut butter. I use natural peanut butter with no sugar and sourdough bread.

by Anonymousreply 22November 15, 2019 3:25 AM

R22, my default "meal" is a peanut butter sandwich. But I just get regular brands (Jif, if you must know) -- I love it with jam, of course, but also with yellow mustard or harissa and iceberg lettuce -- potato chips on the side. Filling, not as unhealthy as straight Scotch....

by Anonymousreply 23November 15, 2019 3:41 AM

I eat sandwiches for dinner, but I usually use this 45 calorie bread, toasted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 15, 2019 3:55 AM

Once again white people think they invented something, when they just stole the idea.

Like many other great historical inventions, the first sandwich originated in China around 200 BC, nearly 2000 years prior to Montagu. Today it is called the Rou Jia Mo, which loosely translates to “Meat Between Bread”. ... Preserving and preparing meat prior to the invention of refrigeration was a laborious process.

by Anonymousreply 25November 15, 2019 4:24 AM

Now I’m craving a dagwood sandwich.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 15, 2019 4:59 AM

Once again, a non-white person denigrating someone for being white @R25

Stop the racist bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 27November 15, 2019 5:07 AM

Sorry, R25, a white person tired of hearing how white people invented everything, when it's not true.

by Anonymousreply 28November 15, 2019 5:13 AM

[quote]Remember, OP, that the sandwich was invented by the Earl Of Sandwich. He didn't want to stop playing cards to eat dinner, so his servant brought him the food in a form that could be held in one hand, thus leaving the other hand free to hold his cards. Actually, it was the servant who invented the sandwich, but we don't know his name....

2-XL taught me this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 15, 2019 5:14 AM

Since we are sharing, I would like to tell you about my fabulous desert for tonight. I have been laid up with knee issues, so haven't been grocery shopping. My craving for chocolate kicked in. Aha, I had 3 boxes of Pepperidge Farm brownie mix. I poured some dry mix into a small bowl, made some troughs with a spoon and carefully spooned in hot water from the tap and stirred it in to the dry mix. It has chocolate chips and satisfied my craving. Who needs to bake and add oil? Its almost a diet dessert. I also like to have breakfast things for dinner and hardly ever eat meat, just chicken or fish.

by Anonymousreply 30November 15, 2019 5:18 AM

An old French buddy of mine used to say, the reason Americans are so fat is because they eat the biggest meal of the day right before bed. Feast all day, and eat like darphur for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 31November 15, 2019 5:20 AM

Correction to 30. It is Ghirardelli brownie mix.

by Anonymousreply 32November 15, 2019 5:45 AM

R25, you’re just one of several people being silly on this thread. Nobody ‘stole’ the idea of a sandwich. Nobody went to China, saw what they did, and thought ‘I’ll go back to Europe, start doing this, and pretend white people invented it’. The same general concept can occur independently in places and societies separated by time and space, without any ‘stealing’.

Equally, we have to let go of the fantasy that Lord Sandwich invented anything. The concept of ‘bread and cheese’ or ‘bread and meat’ was not unknown before his day. His eating habits may have lead to his name being connected with it, but people had been eating bread with things stuffed into it since forever.

by Anonymousreply 33November 15, 2019 1:59 PM

[quote]Once again white people think they invented something, when they just stole the idea.

You mean Mr. Sandwich did not invent his eponymous food creation?

I'm shocked, I tell you. Shocked.

by Anonymousreply 34November 15, 2019 2:31 PM

R34, he wasn't plain "Mr. Sandwich" -- he was John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich. And the Hawaiian Islands were also named after him, at least temporarily, by explorer Capt. James Cook, whose expeditions in the Pacific were sponsored by the Earl.

by Anonymousreply 35November 15, 2019 7:09 PM

So is there an area in England today known as Sandwich?

by Anonymousreply 36November 15, 2019 8:26 PM

R36 it's a town in Kent.

by Anonymousreply 37November 15, 2019 8:42 PM

R30 To each his own, and I don't like people who crap on others' yum as a rule, but I don't think raw flour is good, or necessarily safe to eat. Please let us know how you're feeling today! I should think I would feel like a piñata if I were able to get that all down.

R5 That looks like a favourite of mine; do I spy Canadian Bacon?

by Anonymousreply 38November 15, 2019 8:55 PM

More importanter, who invented the sammich?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 15, 2019 9:30 PM

If you are young, OP, enjoy your goddamned delicious bread. Don't listen to the elder gays here. Can you buy good sandwiches from a deli? Can you buy really good variety of cheese and meats and keep them in your fridge and all sorts fo spreads and shit? Can you buy some canned or fresh soup and heat up some soup with your sandwich? Etc etc etc.

A cold sandwich overnight would be a bit depressing. Do you eat a hot meal at lunch? Eat like my German relatives who lived into their 90s. Smoked fish or some good protein for breakfast. Real meal for lunch. Light dinner.

by Anonymousreply 40November 16, 2019 12:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!