Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Effeminate heterosexual men, fact or fiction.

Do you know any truly effeminate heterosexual men who aren't just a closet case? Seems highly unlikely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 4, 2019 2:02 AM

Doug Jones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 3, 2019 3:17 AM

Yes a few. Fact.

by Anonymousreply 2November 3, 2019 3:17 AM

Nope

by Anonymousreply 3November 3, 2019 3:19 AM

I knew a few -- but they were all professors.

by Anonymousreply 4November 3, 2019 3:22 AM

Famous ones I can think of are Michael Jackson, Prince, Robert Smith of the Cure, Barry Humphries (the guy who plays Dame Edna, but I'm not sure if he's effeminate or just a transvestite,) Kurt Cobain, David Bowie, Rod Stewart, John Lennon.

by Anonymousreply 5November 3, 2019 3:32 AM

I've met a few from Haiti but not regular Americans. Some will go to their grave denying there is anything gay about them, but anyone can see they truly are.

by Anonymousreply 6November 3, 2019 3:33 AM

One of my best friends married the most flaming hetero man I've ever met. He's GAY GAY GAY. Musical theatre degree, the whole nine yards. They now have 4 kids. All signs point to gay, but dude is just a non-butch sort. They exist. He out gays me by a mile, and my nose is outta joint some.

by Anonymousreply 7November 3, 2019 3:40 AM

Don't know him personally, but Matthew Weiner, creator of Mad Men, is apparently hetero enough to be accused of harassment by an underling (presumably female), and has one of the gay voices of all time.

I had a friend just after college who was a former professor of mine. He had strikingly effeminate mannerisms but was straight enough to have an affair with an attractive young blonde woman. He was a superintellectual, however, with a prep school background (Choate), BA from Harvard and a PhD from Yale in English Lit. From a wealthy Manhattan family of European Jewish origin if that matters.

I also have a doctor I've seen occasionally who has one of the gayest of gay voices but a very obvious photo of the wife and kids on his desk.

So who knows--I know for sure that my ex prof was not gay cause we were friends.

Maybe in all cases these guys grew up with a lot of gay friends and acquired gay mannerisms? Good a guess as any to me. (BTW, I'm a straight woman.)

by Anonymousreply 8November 3, 2019 3:58 AM

"...Kurt Cobain, David Bowie, Rod Stewart, John Lennon."

None of these four men were/are what I would call "effeminate." Wearing a dress does not = effeminate, especially if it was a polyester house dress and he was wearing it at an outdoor grunge festival.

by Anonymousreply 9November 3, 2019 4:06 AM

R5 Sorry but Robert Smith is not effeminate. He's a total bloke -- he loves to drink with the lads down the pub, he's been with the same woman since he was 15 and when he speaks, he sounds very male.

I think its lazy to equate being artsy with being femmy.

Kurt Cobain was also not remotely femmy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 3, 2019 4:12 AM

Yes, I do. Mostly in some royal family somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 11November 3, 2019 4:32 AM

R5 HAS to be satire.

But to answer OP's question, yes they're out there, and my experience echoes R4's—a lot of the fey straight guys I've known are/were in academia.

I've also known some ultra-butch women you'd swear were dykes, but turned out to be hetero.

There's 7 billion people on the planet, and you can't expect each and every one of them to fit your expectations.

by Anonymousreply 12November 3, 2019 5:09 AM

Any fem straight man is going to be some combination of an academic, European, Jewish, white, democrat.

by Anonymousreply 13November 3, 2019 11:44 AM

R5, Barry Humphries is neither effeminate nor a transvestite. He is a performer who wears a dress (sometimes) when on stage.

In person, he's definitely an effete intellectual rather than a handyman type, but he doesn't even strike me as gay, let alone effeminate. The only stereotypically gay thing about him is that Edna was inspired by his mother, whom he clearly simultaneously reviles and has allowed, through Edna, to rule his life.

by Anonymousreply 14November 3, 2019 12:05 PM

Chrisley.

by Anonymousreply 15November 3, 2019 1:14 PM

R5, Michael Jackson was a sick pediphile that raped 7-12 year old boys. He ever touched a woman In his life. Dont let the pr fool ya.

He was not what I call a "heterosexual man".

by Anonymousreply 16November 3, 2019 1:38 PM

My brother has many effeminate qualities--clothes-obsessed, wears cologne regularly, has no interest in sports, kind of swishy, is always with the girls in groups of couples but the guys all love him. He's been married over 30 years to a lovely woman, three kids, with no hint of being on the DL. In our small town word would have gotten around. It's a fact.

by Anonymousreply 17November 3, 2019 2:26 PM

I still maintain after years and years, the nelliest queen who ever reigned is a straight german man. Bitchiest queens EVER

by Anonymousreply 18November 3, 2019 2:33 PM

r5, Michael Jackson wasn't straight.

But, yes, effeminate straight men exist. Gay men come in all shapes and sizes, so why wouldn't straight men?

by Anonymousreply 19November 3, 2019 2:39 PM

Neil Sedaka has been married to a woman for many years and has the GAYEST voice every. Does anyone think he's straight?

by Anonymousreply 20November 3, 2019 4:05 PM

GAYEST voice ever NOT every.

by Anonymousreply 21November 3, 2019 4:06 PM

Neil Sedaka is gay and closeted. He hit on a friend of mine (male) on Fire Island

by Anonymousreply 22November 3, 2019 4:13 PM

Richard E. Grant

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 3, 2019 4:27 PM

Tony Randall

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 3, 2019 4:36 PM

These "heterosexuals," if you see how they blush when a man speaks to them, watch how their eyes only follow men around a room of mixed company, how little regard they have for the opinions of women even though they defer to them in all decisions; they are like inmates of a concentration camp. They put themselves there, probably owing to a broken heart - some man did them wrong - but it demeans the essence of sexuality to call them straight. I had one such friend, a coworker, who wouldn't even order pizza without direct input from his butch softball dyke wife, and who claimed also to have had extramarital affairs with women, but who followed three or four men around the office like a dog in heat.

by Anonymousreply 25November 3, 2019 5:02 PM

R5, I'm pretty sure Bowie wasn't completely straight. And Michael Jackson certainly wasn't remotely hetero.

One I always found odd was the British interior designer Lawrence Llewellyn-Bowen. He's been married to a woman for decades.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 3, 2019 5:27 PM

I would add Russell Brand. Although he's a self-confessed rimming freak, he seems totally straight and isn't the type who would hide any gayness/bisexuality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 3, 2019 5:42 PM

R27- Russell Brand seems totally GAY to me. He's got major GAY STARE in his eyes.

by Anonymousreply 28November 3, 2019 7:37 PM

R28 - then why isn't he out? He's an ally, he's super open about his sex life, he's brave enough to be so camp - I don't think he's the closeting type at all.

by Anonymousreply 29November 3, 2019 8:40 PM

Not brave, no.

by Anonymousreply 30November 4, 2019 12:25 AM

[quote] he seems totally straight and isn't the type who would hide any gayness/bisexuality.

I agree.

by Anonymousreply 31November 4, 2019 12:44 AM

UK.

Lionel Blair. Married for fifty years. No gay rumours.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 4, 2019 12:46 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 4, 2019 12:47 AM

UK # 2

Matthew Kelly.

YOU decide.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 4, 2019 12:52 AM

Political commentator Jon Favreau is another one who looks like he should be gay but is instead married to a woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 4, 2019 1:06 AM

R23 And he loves Barbra!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 4, 2019 1:26 AM

What is the difference between any of these losers and Mitch McConnell?

by Anonymousreply 37November 4, 2019 1:28 AM

Bill Hader.

by Anonymousreply 38November 4, 2019 1:31 AM

Seth McFarlane

Lin-Manuel Miranda

by Anonymousreply 39November 4, 2019 1:31 AM

Jeremy Irons

by Anonymousreply 40November 4, 2019 1:42 AM

R34, Matthew Kelly always reminds me of the excruciating moment when Chris de Burgh sang to his own lookalike on Stars in Their Eyes (skip to 3:36):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 4, 2019 1:46 AM

[QUOTE] There's 7 billion people on the planet, and you can't expect each and every one of them to fit your expectations.

That's deep.

by Anonymousreply 42November 4, 2019 1:55 AM

Hugh Grant

by Anonymousreply 43November 4, 2019 2:00 AM

I've know a number of them. Always British.

by Anonymousreply 44November 4, 2019 2:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!