Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Modern architecture homes

Are you a fan?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85November 6, 2019 11:43 PM

It depends.

by Anonymousreply 1October 31, 2019 1:26 AM

I don't really live that way but could have fun trying (OP's pic)

by Anonymousreply 2October 31, 2019 1:31 AM

I love the pool.

by Anonymousreply 3October 31, 2019 1:36 AM

Nice to look at; would hate living in one.

by Anonymousreply 4October 31, 2019 1:37 AM

Would LOVE living in this. Need more pictures!

by Anonymousreply 5October 31, 2019 1:41 AM

R5, the link has other photos of the property.

by Anonymousreply 6October 31, 2019 1:45 AM

Love it!

by Anonymousreply 7October 31, 2019 1:46 AM

No, that’s what I meant, R6. Even the article in the link needs more pictures of interior.

by Anonymousreply 8October 31, 2019 1:47 AM

Yes, oh please yes.

by Anonymousreply 9October 31, 2019 1:48 AM

R8, ahh! I agree -- I would like to see some more photos of the interior.

by Anonymousreply 10October 31, 2019 1:51 AM

It's a beautiful fantasy.

I would install screen doors.

by Anonymousreply 11October 31, 2019 2:03 AM

I love it although I'm not sure how practical it is. I'm assuming it's located in a warm climate.

by Anonymousreply 12October 31, 2019 2:05 AM

It's in Colombia, R12.

by Anonymousreply 13October 31, 2019 2:08 AM

Love it. I’ve been in a traditional in the Northeast for a while and have loved historic homes with good architecture. But spending a lot of time in CA, I really want a modern house. Ow. But they are really rare in much of the Northeast. It feels like 90% of housing is a traditional center hall colonial. Very little modern - except maybe NYC suburbs. Glass and views with modern functionality is my Dream. I would build something interesting - or even some of those great prefab modern things - but can’t afford.

by Anonymousreply 14October 31, 2019 2:10 AM

Beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 15October 31, 2019 2:26 AM

It would drive me insane

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 31, 2019 2:30 AM

It's nice but I really love this desert home from the same site.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 31, 2019 2:31 AM

I've always wanted a pool like that one.

by Anonymousreply 18October 31, 2019 2:43 AM

One word....

by Anonymousreply 19October 31, 2019 2:47 AM

I like this modern house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 31, 2019 3:41 AM

Some of them look austere though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 31, 2019 3:43 AM

You see more of it as you travel east towards Mercer Island and you really are on display - but, so is everyone else.

PSA from Reductress:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 31, 2019 3:45 AM

Some of them are over the top.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 31, 2019 3:50 AM

I like modern apartments. Given an entire modern house, designs get too creative. I appreciate the constraints that apartments put on modern architecture.

by Anonymousreply 24October 31, 2019 4:02 AM

I like this, wherever it's at.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 31, 2019 4:03 AM

This one is a no

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 31, 2019 4:13 AM

It’s a fine line with be able to feel cozy and not...Arthur Erickson the great late Canadian architect spider some where you still felt sublimely cozy..I got to tour his work in the Vancouver area and my fav was one in which he lived.

by Anonymousreply 27October 31, 2019 4:23 AM

^ did some

by Anonymousreply 28October 31, 2019 4:23 AM

I love it, OP. I wonder how much a home like that sells for in Colombia?

by Anonymousreply 29October 31, 2019 4:25 AM

R29, me too. It doesn't say, but I imagine it's expensive for Colombian standards -- which is to say, probably still a steal in $USD.

by Anonymousreply 30October 31, 2019 4:44 AM

It looks like my dream vacation home.

by Anonymousreply 31October 31, 2019 5:02 AM

It looks more like a covered porch than a house.

by Anonymousreply 32October 31, 2019 5:03 AM

I like the outdoor bed with the mountain view.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 31, 2019 5:35 AM

R32 Down in those sticky climates you have tiles on the floor and the kitchens are in a room without walls.

(I don't know how you keep out the mosquitoes, tarantulas, brigands and marauding poor people)

by Anonymousreply 34October 31, 2019 6:02 AM

It’s at 1963, R25.

by Anonymousreply 35October 31, 2019 9:35 AM

The Case Study Houses, for r25.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 31, 2019 9:42 AM

No, not at all, but each to their own

This is much more me

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 31, 2019 12:47 PM

I live in a very modern home. Tons of glass. Tall ceilings. I absolutely love the sense of light and air and openness. Once you get used to that feeling, it would be a difficult one to break.

by Anonymousreply 38October 31, 2019 1:27 PM

I grew up in a place with four seasons, so I can never really imagine living in one those open, hard-to-heat- modernist places. But I do like looking at them.

by Anonymousreply 39October 31, 2019 1:38 PM

What is the furniture with the pillow on it in this pic?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 31, 2019 1:45 PM

[quote](I don't know how you keep out the mosquitoes, tarantulas, brigands and marauding poor people)

That's always my first question when I see houses with so much outdoor space open to the interior. What about all the creepy-crawlies that inhabit warm locations?

I love the looks of these houses but I don't think I could live in one -- all those glass walls and unenclosed spaces would make me feel very exposed. I suppose you get used to it, though.

by Anonymousreply 41October 31, 2019 1:47 PM

Hard to imagine New Yorkers being able to adjust to the openness of the modern homes, since they are used to living like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 31, 2019 2:26 PM

Does Palm Springs have a lot of these style of homes?

by Anonymousreply 43October 31, 2019 2:54 PM

Am I the only one (apart from Mrs. Alfred Steele) who hates having living spaces flooded with natural light because, no matter how clean you think you keep the place, direct sunlight illuminates every single dust molecule? Drives me insane. One month in a modernist window-walled house and I'd need to be institutionalized.

(Not to mention the UV rays are hell on fabrics.)

by Anonymousreply 44October 31, 2019 2:58 PM

R17, I love that house! Living in the desert could be harsh and challenging though.

by Anonymousreply 45October 31, 2019 3:03 PM

Is this home for real?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 31, 2019 3:23 PM

This one is pretty out there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 31, 2019 3:24 PM

LA is full of these homes apparently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 31, 2019 3:26 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 31, 2019 3:35 PM

Director Michael Bay's house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50October 31, 2019 4:17 PM

In theory, modern post and beam construction would allow you to reconfigure living areas as needs change, but you never hear about owners doing this - it’s either a museum or a tear down. Adding an extra bath requires way more consideration than designers intended.

by Anonymousreply 51October 31, 2019 4:58 PM

Phoenix has a lot of this stuff too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 31, 2019 8:03 PM

This one is huge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 31, 2019 8:04 PM

Cape Cod style.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54October 31, 2019 8:07 PM

Germany.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 31, 2019 8:08 PM

I loathe modern design. All of it looks fake and plastic. A house should have character, its architecture should tell a story. All of these post-modern houses look like each other and are huge eyesores. Geometric designs don’t equal interesting architecture.

by Anonymousreply 56October 31, 2019 8:40 PM

I always wonder how these precariously designed geometric houses with post-modern designs like R46 fare during LA earthquakes and fires.

by Anonymousreply 57October 31, 2019 8:43 PM

R40 It may be a hammock. I have a normal canvas hammock in my fabulous garden and I find it it wonderfully relaxing.

But R40 looks like an inflexible one made of plastic or woven cane, perhaps.

by Anonymousreply 58October 31, 2019 9:19 PM

My favorite is a streamlined deco in cities such as Shanghai, Cairo, Tel Aviv. I also like Bauhaus/Heimat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 31, 2019 11:20 PM

A floating home in Seattle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60November 1, 2019 1:21 AM

R60, the place is over run by *looks left, looks right* those fucking otters shitting all over the place, fucking up everything their little mitts encounter.

by Anonymousreply 61November 1, 2019 2:39 AM

Villa Nurbs Castelló d'Empúries Girona, Spain

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62November 1, 2019 2:53 AM

Daytime view Villa Nurbs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63November 1, 2019 2:56 AM

Gorgeous. But i would never live in OP's post Too cold and and uncomortable looking.

by Anonymousreply 64November 1, 2019 3:16 AM

I've always thought Hugh Newell Jacobson's 1988 Life Magazine house was a nice example of a warmer modern home. It was a distillation of Cape Cod architecture, with gabled roofs and paned windows at the front and at the back is all plate glass. It's been built many times, but I think the purest and best way to do it is as simple as possible. Stucco siding, maybe a wood roof. Some of the ones that have been built veer to Colonial in nature.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65November 1, 2019 3:41 AM

One of the bets things about LA is modern residential architecture. It’s the one reason to live there in my opinion. You just can’t get that as abundantly on the East Coast - or the South really. LA is modern architecture heaven - for the US.

by Anonymousreply 66November 1, 2019 7:31 PM

R65 I had never seen that house. Thank you. I like all the ways one can vary it up. I can't find an interior photo of a version that is done with a 2nd floor.

by Anonymousreply 67November 1, 2019 8:18 PM

Another interesting modern home in Colombia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68November 1, 2019 8:20 PM

Pretty crazy beach house in Peru. I hope that hill is not prone to erosion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69November 1, 2019 8:23 PM

South America does seem to Have some great modern architecture. Interestingly, South Texas new developments tend to be very modern too. Rather than McMansions they make cool modern minimalist boxes. For like $200 thousand - cheap.

by Anonymousreply 70November 1, 2019 8:40 PM

R70, I like the look of this one in South Texas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71November 1, 2019 8:46 PM

[quote] You just can’t get that as abundantly on the East Coast

I get the sense that much of the east coast has more stringent building codes? LA is kind of a free-for-all, which is why you'll probably see a variety of different styles of homes often on the same block.

by Anonymousreply 72November 1, 2019 8:53 PM

R67, there is no second floor on any of them, it's all gloriously open. Jacobsen's work is unusual for a lot of modern architects in how warm and cozy it actually feels, even though almost everything he does is white. He's been an undersong modernist for many years. I'd like to see a full-scale retrospective of his work. Actually, R72, California has even stricter building codes than the East Coast, mainly because of seismic issues. Since the East Coast was settled hundreds of years earlier than the west, the long-established building traditions had become deeply ingrained. Colonials are the Holy Grail for the average homebuyer. Contemporaries are a tougher sell, due to climate and just being outside the box. Cliff May's informal ranch style that spread through California like a wildfire (sorry, best way to describe it) It was a different way of living. The indoor/outdoor connection year-round isn't as practical in many parts of the United States. Also, people who migrated to California from the East largely chucked a lot of the old traditions opting for something new and fresh.

by Anonymousreply 73November 1, 2019 9:09 PM

Merida, Mexico

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74November 1, 2019 9:13 PM

r70 - Here you go. Mid-century modern rival - back when they envisioned affordable homes for growing families. Although the best examples were outside the price point of most people. Sunken living room, conversation pits, breezeways - very expensive. But there was philosophy behind it. Not so with contemporary architecture, it is austere, cold, like the persons who live in them.

There something about retro-futurism: The future as imagined in the past that is so nostalgic in our sad times. Back then the future was imagined as a communal affair - the future of mankind. Now, not so much.

There's still a future, just not for everyone.

There's is a future, but not for all us.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75November 1, 2019 9:18 PM

R75, it’s still a Car Culture House - living space thrown down next to the pool. The suburban escape can’t continue. It’s too much lawn.

No, those modern buildings that survive urban renewal (nicely provided by r59) present a great refined function. The style was mimicked in many public works projects.

My favorite bastardizations are Midwestern utility buildings and state park structures. You find machined structures with so many hand-crafted details. It’s a fun argument.

by Anonymousreply 76November 1, 2019 11:05 PM

I like them - I like the simplicity I so crave at this point in my life - but my hypothesis is that the whole modern thing will run it's course and people will be "what in heck was I thinking?" It just takes on hip designer to be showcased in Architectural Digest that has raided grandma's attic and we will be back into "antiquing." It all goes in cycles - Lucy went from frumpy to modern in her NYC apartments and back to colonial when she moved to CT. It all goes in cycles - designed to keep retail moving.

by Anonymousreply 77November 1, 2019 11:21 PM

As a designer, I think anyone smart is doing a few things. Living modern means stripping down. Keep the important things that mean something. Good art. These can be repros. Antique and modern. Supplement with good old and new. Walmart out of all places is selling a cheap-ass good looking modern dining table I am surrounding with antique chairs. The mix of high and low is important, especially in modern living. Form is more important than pedigree. Anyone with good taste has rarely been gifted with boatloads of money.

by Anonymousreply 78November 2, 2019 1:45 AM

Good points R78. Agree - Walmart has some great modern pieces. And you can get some great cool pieces cheaply - Wayfair, etc. But great art and some classic pieces are things you can take from house to house - modern or traditional.

by Anonymousreply 79November 2, 2019 2:05 AM

Buckwalter house has 3 stories. And maybe a basement?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80November 2, 2019 4:00 AM

Wow thanks R80. I didn’t know anything about the house or High Newell Jacobsen. Just my style - classic and modern. And he did Jackie’s house on MV. Love it.

by Anonymousreply 81November 2, 2019 4:09 AM

R65 and R67 - check this out - a Pinterest board dedicated to Jacobsen's Life Dream House:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82November 4, 2019 8:45 PM

Hugh Newell Jacobsen gets it. I’m sure he is super expensive - but would love to build a place by him. Realize he has done a lot in mid-Atlantic area - maybe it’s something about the mix of historical structures and desire for modern but it really works for me,

by Anonymousreply 83November 4, 2019 8:59 PM

Thanks, R82, it looks interesting.

by Anonymousreply 84November 4, 2019 9:03 PM

Right on R78. Read an article a while ago - said basically don't chase trends - do what YOU like and it will never be out of date. If you don't like gray don't paint your whole f'ing house gray only to have to change it because Pantone says its out.

by Anonymousreply 85November 6, 2019 11:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!