Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Today is Grace Slick's big birthday.

Grace Slick turns Eighty - 80 - today! She was born on October 30, 1939.

She started out with Jefferson Airplane and wrote 2 excellent hits for them, "Somebody To Love" and "White Rabbit". The group later morphed into Jefferson Starship and then Starship, and Grace was along for the ride. Her tales of being a real character are legend.

Any thoughts about Grace Slick on her birthday?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95November 12, 2019 3:17 PM

Singer Grace Slick then and now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 30, 2019 9:47 PM

I wasn't completely up on all her doings when I was young. I just thought Grey Slick was yet another rock and roll band back then,

by Anonymousreply 2October 30, 2019 9:47 PM

White Rabbit...…...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 30, 2019 9:49 PM

Grace's isolated vocal track on White Rabbit is pretty impressive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 30, 2019 9:55 PM

Grace Slick was beautiful and had a beautiful powerful voice, but not much charisma when compared with Janis Joplin. Still, I think Surrealistic Pillow is one of the best albums of its era, although the Airplane's subsequent iterations never did much for me. Given her rock and roll lifestyle--including spiking the punch bowl with LSD during a Nixon White House affair with Tricia--her longevity and sobriety are amazing.

by Anonymousreply 5October 30, 2019 10:01 PM

I liked everything they did up to Volunteers, After Bathing at Baxter's is one of my favorites, and I really like their Bless Its Pointed Little head live album. I love the creepiness of Bear Melt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 30, 2019 10:05 PM

Grace Slick sang at Woodstock with the Jefferson Airplane.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 30, 2019 10:10 PM

Jefferson Airplane at Woodstock. They were one of the first acts to sing up for the legendary event.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 30, 2019 10:13 PM

To understand the difference between the 60s and the 80s, just listen to "Somebody to Love" and "We Built this City" side-by-side. Depressing, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 9October 30, 2019 10:26 PM

R1 That pic is a few years old. This is what she looks like now, the poor dear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 30, 2019 10:39 PM

Yep they’re all getting ready to turn 80, the Beatles, Stones, Who, all of them. The Stones’ Bill Wyman is 83. Ringo Starr is 79. Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 11October 30, 2019 10:41 PM

Haunting voice. She really slummed it in the 80's with Starship.

by Anonymousreply 12October 30, 2019 11:08 PM

Does she have a biography? Would love to read it. Any reviews?

by Anonymousreply 13October 30, 2019 11:19 PM

FUCK ME PINK!

by Anonymousreply 14October 30, 2019 11:19 PM

FUCK ME PINK!

by Anonymousreply 15October 30, 2019 11:19 PM

Happy Birthday from the cable guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 30, 2019 11:20 PM

I think she’s great. I just wish she didn’t believe that just because you’re older you should stop performing. I would love to see her and Starship get together one last time since I was too young to see them when they were originally together.

by Anonymousreply 17October 30, 2019 11:44 PM

R13 Her memoir was published in 1998. It's called Somebody To Love - I have it and it's excellent!

by Anonymousreply 18October 31, 2019 3:52 AM

R16 He did an excellent male impersonation of her voice. Over the top but very good.

by Anonymousreply 19October 31, 2019 3:57 AM

In 1987 Grace did lead vocals on Starship's big #1 hit, Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now. Great song!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 31, 2019 4:03 AM

Still has the long hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 31, 2019 4:08 AM

I love her voice and her 60s airplane music. Some of the starship songs are actually quite good. I dont know why they get such a bad rap.

by Anonymousreply 22October 31, 2019 4:14 AM

She’s reappeared recently after falling off the radar for a few years. She had an art show here in WeHo last week. She also appeared on a podcast recently that was really, really good. I wasn’t terribly familiar with her life story and this podcast goes through her life and career chronologically. The interviewer is very good and Grace is totally open and sharp as a tack. I really enjoyed it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 31, 2019 4:25 AM

She paints now. Here’s a recent painting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 31, 2019 4:28 AM

Probably her best 80s hit:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 31, 2019 4:32 AM

I’ve always loved this song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 31, 2019 4:52 AM

R25, NO! That song is on par with "We Built This City".

by Anonymousreply 27October 31, 2019 12:37 PM

R27 BOTH are excellent songs and went to #1. You can't argue with success!

by Anonymousreply 28October 31, 2019 2:48 PM

I love the painting at R24

by Anonymousreply 29October 31, 2019 2:53 PM

❤️

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 31, 2019 3:01 PM

I saw them in their Airplane days up in NYC. She was a great rock singer and very cool to this then 14 yr old

by Anonymousreply 31October 31, 2019 3:08 PM

R30 Great article!

by Anonymousreply 32October 31, 2019 3:16 PM

Nothings Gonna Stop Us Now is so catchy and fun. I dont get why Grace hates it so much. I tr s nowhere near as bad as We Built this City.

by Anonymousreply 33October 31, 2019 3:17 PM

I think she runs down Starship to protect her legacy, to keep her cool cred and because maybe she's a bit ashamed of her commercial businesswoman instincts as the godmother of the 60s counter culture. She's interviewed mostly by straight music journalists who want her to hate Starship and those songs. At the time though she was clear with her producers that she wanted to make money above all else so she could retire and be comfortable. Her Airplane bandmate and father of her child, Paul Kanter, had money problems at the end of his life and was never able to retire. Grace has a great house in Malibu and no money worries so I don't think she should be ashamed of her 80s output but I can see why she feels she has to be.

I love the tales from her drunk days by the way. My favorite is that she was drunk and disorderly in a Toronto hotel and held 3 security guards at bay with karate moves. Another favorite is the time she pulled a gun on cops who responded to a domestic at her house. The cop body rolled her onto the ground to disarm her and she complimented him on his moves- karate aficionado that she was lol.

by Anonymousreply 34October 31, 2019 3:25 PM

She didn't write Somebody To Love - her ex brother in law did. Her autobiography is a riot. Best I've ever read from a 60's rock star. As for her charisma compared to Joplin - Grace survived.

by Anonymousreply 35October 31, 2019 3:28 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 31, 2019 3:46 PM

Nothing's gonna stop her now.

by Anonymousreply 37October 31, 2019 3:52 PM

Here's her memoir: Somebody To Love. Great read.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 31, 2019 7:43 PM

I love Grace

by Anonymousreply 39October 31, 2019 9:16 PM

I was obsessed with this video growing up. Love Grace.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 31, 2019 9:24 PM

Was she bipolar or just someone who did not take well to alcohol because her drunken behavior is so far removed form her sober personality. She seems so calm and intelligent and thoughtful when she's sober, it's hard to imagine that woman going totally insane and getting violent, wrecking her cars, getting what she called a TUI 'Talking Under the Influence'.

I'm surprised to see that she had a very long marriage. She must have been a nightmare to live with when she was drinking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 31, 2019 9:36 PM

She just licensed a song to Chik-Fil-A and will donate all the proceeds to an LGBT cause. I think that's very responsible and kind.

by Anonymousreply 42October 31, 2019 9:43 PM

In her better moments, like in the interview at r41, she was pretty good looking

by Anonymousreply 43October 31, 2019 9:44 PM

Grace did not write "Somebody To Love."

This is my favorite Grace Slick song:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 31, 2019 9:45 PM

From 1984, my second favorite Grace Slick song:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 31, 2019 9:47 PM

My favorite song written by her is 'Fast Buck Freddy' then 'Eskimo Blue Day'

by Anonymousreply 46October 31, 2019 9:48 PM

"Seasons" from 1980.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 31, 2019 9:51 PM

Long but good article

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 31, 2019 9:51 PM

From 1981, Grace trying to be Hard Rock:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 31, 2019 9:52 PM

She probably made a fair amount of money from writing White Rabbit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50October 31, 2019 10:09 PM

Heureuse Anniversaire, ma petite!

by Anonymousreply 51October 31, 2019 10:09 PM

I’m jealous of the brother in law who write Somebidy To Love. Grace said when they went in to cut a demo the guys in the band were not good enough to play on the tracks. So the BIL, write this song even though he wasn’t talented enough at the time to really play at a professional level. Then he faded off into civilian life again with buckets of money coming in for the rest of his life. If I’m not mistaken the Slick family were well to do also. So was Grace’s family, her dad was an investment banker. It was their background that allowed them to go start a band and mess about rather than her jobs.

On a sadder note Grace’s only brother is mentally ill and voluntarily homeless. He lives in a park in Palo Alto and Grace sends up cash to a post office box to support him. What a tough situation for the family.

by Anonymousreply 52October 31, 2019 10:15 PM

Yes R52 I remember the plot of an episode of Absolutely Fabulous was Eddie carrying around a recorder trying desperately to come up with a catchy song so she could live it up on the royalties forever more. It really would be a dream life. White Rabbit is on a Carnival Cruise Line commercial at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 53October 31, 2019 10:19 PM

The Lefsetz podcast is very good even if Lefsetz isn't that great an interviewer.

Her 80s stuff sucked. She knew it and had enough $ that she didn't have to perform it. Her father was an investment banker and she learned how to save, early on and had him to invest.

by Anonymousreply 54October 31, 2019 10:37 PM

Now there’s someone who’s had a great life

by Anonymousreply 55October 31, 2019 11:07 PM

During her drug/drink years she was also compulsively spending. She said in the 70s she blew 10K in one shopping trip. She may have needed the 80s money to be comfortabley retired. The trust her parents left to her brother has now run out so the parents were not filthy rich in the way we think of investment bankers today.

Her daughter lives over her garage and is some sort of priest or pastor.

She must be as stunned as the rest of us that she’s still alive!

by Anonymousreply 56October 31, 2019 11:27 PM

Sometime in the mid 80's the police were responding to a noise complaint at her house and Grace opened the door, shotgun in hand and told them, "Get the fuck off my property."

by Anonymousreply 57October 31, 2019 11:31 PM

She always seemed like an ass. She was a real druggie. She was going to name her daughter with Paul Kantner "god" with a small g, but reconsidered, thinking it a wee bit much, and named her China. After Janis Joplin died she said "if somebody died in a car accident it doesn't make me stop driving." At Altamont, when the Hell's Angels were beating the crap out of each other she said" People, let's not be laying our bodies on each other unless we intend love." Yeah, I'm sure the Hell's Angels really took THAT advice to heart. Anyway, she always seemed to me to be a very unpleasant, unlikable woman.

by Anonymousreply 58October 31, 2019 11:42 PM

R58 You really don't understand Grace Slick - she went against the grain of society and was the real deal. A gem and a jewel and has been blessed to see 80 years.

by Anonymousreply 59November 1, 2019 2:29 AM

"A gem and a jewel?" A drug addicted slut is more like it.

by Anonymousreply 60November 1, 2019 2:48 AM

Grace Slick was the one and only and a law unto herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61November 1, 2019 3:08 PM

People can mock Starship’s 80’s output, but there’s a reason their biggest hits came during that decade. The songs were really good. I still love “Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now” and “Sara.”

by Anonymousreply 62November 1, 2019 3:17 PM

always thought she was a natural beauty but some pics I saw of her in high school show her nose to be larger and more witch-like so it appears that she had a nose job? will post pics if I can figure out how to.

by Anonymousreply 63November 1, 2019 5:32 PM

she was unrecognizable imo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64November 1, 2019 5:48 PM

Gracie lives to wear caftans now to cover her bulk. She has also had more than one nose job. But lots of people have a second nose job to “refine” the original work.

by Anonymousreply 65November 3, 2019 9:52 PM

Fat old bitch

by Anonymousreply 66November 3, 2019 10:07 PM

I love her. A wonderful artist.

by Anonymousreply 67November 3, 2019 10:23 PM

She's ready for her close up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68November 4, 2019 2:05 AM

Grace retired from the music business in the late 80s because she said she felt embarrassed being a middle-aged person on a rock and roll stage. She felt it was time to leave because she was too old to keep working in such a youth-oriented business, and it was beginning to feel really stupid to sing about sex and drugs at her age . She stuck to her convictions and has been retired from music ever since. I respect that tremendously. Instead of hanging on long past her prime (like so many other artists) Grace was able to be done with it and walk away and start a whole second career as a visual artist. Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 69November 4, 2019 2:26 AM

Great, strong, powerful voice. Grace Slick, the legend.

by Anonymousreply 70November 4, 2019 2:37 AM

A fabulous picture of Grace at Woodstock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71November 4, 2019 2:40 AM

Grace fucked everybody in Jefferson Airplane except for Marty Balin. She said Jack Casady had a huge dick.

by Anonymousreply 72November 4, 2019 2:41 AM

R72 In her memoir she stated that she also fucked Jim Morrison and he had a nice sized cock, especially when erect. But she said that he probably wouldn't even remember it the next morning because he was so high on drugs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73November 4, 2019 4:06 AM

R72 Jack Casady from Jefferson Airplane.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74November 4, 2019 4:12 AM

China

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75November 4, 2019 4:25 AM

Grace, Jorma Kaukonen and Jack Casady are the surviving members of Jefferson Airplane. Spencer Dryden died of cancer some years ago. Marty Balin died of heart problems last year, and Paul Kantner died of alcohol-related problems in 2016.

Grace finally quit drinking for good in the late 90s. She still smokes cigs. She's probably more surprised than anyone that she's made it to 80.

by Anonymousreply 76November 4, 2019 5:29 AM

She’s ugly on a stick

by Anonymousreply 77November 4, 2019 11:36 PM

R77 No she isn't. She was very pretty and appealing. And had lots of men!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78November 5, 2019 12:57 AM

She modeled for a few years before her music career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79November 5, 2019 1:00 AM

Habits...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80November 5, 2019 1:05 AM

Puke 🤮

by Anonymousreply 81November 5, 2019 1:13 AM

She's really lovely in those modeling pics.

by Anonymousreply 82November 5, 2019 1:31 AM

I really feel that the Jefferson Starship ballads are the songs that have aged the best and are the best artistically speaking, too: "Miracles," "With Your Love," "Runaway," etc. Slick's voice was *extremely* strident and IMO she was a lot easier to take when dueting with or providing backup for Balin. Honestly, I have no interest in hearing her sing lead on anything.

And that comment in Rolling Stone about how she wished she'd been the one to sing "You Light Up My Life"? Well, that tells you all you need to know about her taste in music, and is another reason why Balin was a necessity, however much of an asshole he might have been. (And this is the part where someone posts that she was "just joking" because "that was Grace." No... She was serious.)

by Anonymousreply 83November 5, 2019 1:33 AM

I remember some article in a music magazine about some concert Jefferson Starship was doing in Germany, I think. Slick was not in good shape; a heavy drug user, she had medical issues because of it. She was unable to perform. Paul Kantner decided to cancel the concert saying to play without her would "be like the Rolling Stones without Mick Jagger." Well, when the fans, who had been standing outside in poor weather for some time, were notified of that they rioted. They stormed the stage, smashed and set fire to the musical equipment, some of which was irreplaceable to the musicians who owned it. It was an utter disaster, a fiasco. Most people said Kantner was an absolute dick for making that decision, but he stood by it. Well, he WAS a big idiot. They could have performed just as well without Slick. But I guess he was still besotted with her. Anyway, both Slick and Kantner seem like assholes who deserved each other.

by Anonymousreply 84November 6, 2019 9:15 PM

I think the "nose job" speculation that a couple upthread have mentioned are probably the result of a total rebuild of her nose from the twenty miles of coke she snorted in the '70s. She's fabulous and I love her. She would fit right in here at the data lounges with her caftans, Chik Fil A hate (and doing something about it!) and ribald story telling.

by Anonymousreply 85November 6, 2019 9:31 PM

Grace Slick IS rock and roll.

by Anonymousreply 86November 6, 2019 9:51 PM

R86 Yup!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87November 7, 2019 2:35 AM

Grace had a great figure back then.

by Anonymousreply 88November 7, 2019 3:27 AM

Grace and Paul sort of stole Marty's band from him. She got the ink for being outrageous. When they needed Starship to make big they needed Marty. I don't blame HIM for being an asshole towards them. And I like them all.

by Anonymousreply 89November 7, 2019 7:37 PM

Marty was insanely jealous of Grace. Grace always said about all of the attention she got: "If there are five cows and one pig, you're going to look at the pig."

by Anonymousreply 90November 7, 2019 8:46 PM

grace slick in high school- i was really surprised to see this bc this looks nothing like how she did as an adult (which makes me think she had some work done as a young woman).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91November 7, 2019 11:00 PM

another picture of her, which looks like a completely different person than the one that become famous (imo).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92November 7, 2019 11:01 PM

Grace was very pretty in her youth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93November 7, 2019 11:06 PM

Love this photo of Janis and Grace.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94November 7, 2019 11:10 PM

Starship's 80s stuff always gets maligned, but Grace knew exactly what she was doing. She was in her 40s at the time and she knew her days as a commercial artist who got Top 40 radio play and could sell a lot of records was almost over, and she decided she was going to take advantage of the limited time that was left to make as much money as possible. She wanted to make a few more hits then cash out and retire, and that's exactly what she did. She's lived a very comfortable life in Malibu for the past 30 years because of those 80s Starship songs, so I think it was definitely worth it.

by Anonymousreply 95November 12, 2019 3:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!