Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Steak Tartare

Haven’t had this many times, but I think it’s delicious. Just had it this week. What does DL think? Guessing flyover DL folks will think it’s gross.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144November 29, 2019 3:13 PM

It's disgusting and a good way to get worms or food poisoning, no matter how immaculately prepared it is. Just munch on a cow instead.

by Anonymousreply 1October 27, 2019 3:26 PM

It is delicious, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2October 27, 2019 3:28 PM

Have fun with your parasites, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3October 27, 2019 3:30 PM

I love it in small portions.

by Anonymousreply 4October 27, 2019 3:34 PM

I feel great, no issues, probably because I went to a fine restaurant. I would guess it’s safer than rimming.

by Anonymousreply 5October 27, 2019 3:35 PM

I eat raw oysters, steak tartare, and I feel great.

by Anonymousreply 6October 27, 2019 3:38 PM

I used to get a 1/4 pound of ground sirloin or ground round at Jefferson Market, then eat it when I got home. I didn't bother with egg or herbs. Just the meat and some salt.

by Anonymousreply 7October 27, 2019 3:41 PM

I'm with OP. It's delicious. So are oysters on the half shell.

by Anonymousreply 8October 27, 2019 3:41 PM

That's some white people shit right there - just sayin

by Anonymousreply 9October 27, 2019 4:04 PM

REPULSIVE to look at. I have never had it and will never have it.

by Anonymousreply 10October 27, 2019 4:08 PM

I think it's just about one of the finest luxuries served in restaurants, especially if it's prepared table-side (very rare nowadays). Parisian restaurants still do it. I wouldn't be too snobby about flyover DLers, however--they know and appreciate all things beef and pork.

by Anonymousreply 11October 27, 2019 4:12 PM

It's fine in moderation, but I will never have it again because of one experience. I was staying at a villa in Italy, and the cook made a huge mound of it for dinner. It was good, for a bit, but she kept on piling it on our plates insisting we hadn't had enough. I was disgusted with it after a while, and my stomach was beyond full. I felt so weighed down that night and had difficulty sleeping. Never again.

by Anonymousreply 12October 27, 2019 4:13 PM

In the South they eat pig brain, so this looks like their kind of thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 27, 2019 4:14 PM

I'm touched by the ingenuousness with which Ms. OP struggles to connect his misplaced coastal elitism with eating raw beef.

by Anonymousreply 14October 27, 2019 4:15 PM

Amen to r9. And btw, this flyover country vegan wants to remind you, much of that steak you’re eating comes from the heartland—though you’ll never have to smell their shit or swat their flies or hear the mothers lowing all night for their stolen calves, to become veal for your near-cannibalistic dietary practices.

by Anonymousreply 15October 27, 2019 4:16 PM

I live steak tartare but every single time I eat it I get diarrhea. So I don't eat it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 16October 27, 2019 4:18 PM

And r14, as well. And New Yorkers wonder why they’re so despised in the midwest.

by Anonymousreply 17October 27, 2019 4:19 PM

[R15] If you hate living there so much, moooooooove.

by Anonymousreply 18October 27, 2019 4:24 PM

R15 What does pigshit and veal have to do with Steak Tartare?

by Anonymousreply 19October 27, 2019 4:25 PM

Follow up question: has anyone had Kibbeh? I’ve seen it in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cookbooks, but have never tried the raw variety.

by Anonymousreply 20October 27, 2019 4:29 PM

[quote] has anyone had Kibbeh?

I, myself, have.

by Anonymousreply 21October 27, 2019 4:30 PM

Just bulgar wheat plus other raw ingredients, yes?

by Anonymousreply 22October 27, 2019 4:30 PM

With French fries: delicious.

by Anonymousreply 23October 27, 2019 4:34 PM

I'm a West Coast elite and I think it's disgusting. Eating uncooked meat of any kind is stupid, period. This is basic common sense.

[quote]In the South they eat pig brain

And Mexicans eat menudo. The difference is, they COOK it. It may be gross, but it won't kill you or expose you to parasites or God knows what else. Even Neanderthals cooked their meat.

by Anonymousreply 24October 27, 2019 4:36 PM

[R21] and [R22] like it? Love it? Gotta have it? Go to Coldstone instead?

by Anonymousreply 25October 27, 2019 4:36 PM

[R24] What do you mean by “west coast elite”? Why is that important information?

by Anonymousreply 26October 27, 2019 4:38 PM

R9 - that was the best - lol. Why anyone would prefer uncooked meat is beyond me - except to act sophisticated/ “continental”. Done it - it’s stupid. And dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 27October 27, 2019 4:41 PM

OP, R 24 is merely pointing out that person on the west coast despises tartare and it's not just the " ignorant" backwards flyovers that arrogant assholes like you assume everyone who isn't an "elite coaster" to be. Even we backwards hicks know that the poster at R15 signed his name as he correctly assumed you would think he was, but you're too stupid to realize it. Have fun with your parasites.

by Anonymousreply 28October 27, 2019 4:47 PM

Never tried it but I’d probably like it. I eat my steaks medium rare and love carpaccio.

by Anonymousreply 29October 27, 2019 4:52 PM

My aunt Trudy in the Village served it to me "whilst" visiting NYC during my college years in 1975. She's now 90 and I reminded her of this fact recently that she is the only person to offer it up. She was astounded I remembered. I ate it willingly back then but now maybe have second thoughts?!

by Anonymousreply 30October 27, 2019 4:55 PM

Why must everything be a contest?

by Anonymousreply 31October 27, 2019 4:56 PM

R20. My ancestors are Syrian, and my mom cooked arabic food for most of my childhood. Kibbee was a staple, but, as I recall, it was mostly made from ground lamb, not beef. Kibbee Naya was the raw version, and you would eat it with pita bread and a slice of onion. I loved it, although, now that I'm a vegetarian, I am horrified that I ate it as often as I did.

The first time I had steak tartare was when I moved to London when I was in my late teens. It was listed on a restaurant menu as being prepared table side, and I thought it might be interesting, although I had no idea what it was. I did not know that it would be served raw. Given I ate Kibbee Naya so often, though, it really didn't bother me at the time, although I thought it wasn't as good as KN. I stopped eating meat and fish and all animal products shortly after that, and haven't had any for over 40 years now.

by Anonymousreply 32October 27, 2019 4:59 PM

It's delicious, OP, as long as you eat it at a well-established, fine restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 33October 27, 2019 5:00 PM

I love it, and it's making a major comeback, at least here in Europe -- every second restaurant seems to have begun offering it in the past 15 years or so.

I don't hear anything about people getting parasites or stomach bugs from it -- I've certainly never had any problems with it myself.

And I assume most of the posters shrieking "Ewww!" on this thread eat sushi (which is far more likely to give you a bug or a parasite). Or are you all a bunch of vegetarians?

by Anonymousreply 34October 27, 2019 5:02 PM

[R28] I added the flyover part to add some spice to the thread. Everyone on here is obsessed with cities and class, and it kicks things up a notch. Don’t get your panties in a bunch.

by Anonymousreply 35October 27, 2019 5:02 PM

I like mine cooked.

by Anonymousreply 36October 27, 2019 5:09 PM

R34 Parasites, or specifically taeniasis, isn't a concern for the UK and Europe. They're extremely rare here and most of the time people get infected elsewhere then come home. They are more common in the US though where meat is less safe.

by Anonymousreply 37October 27, 2019 5:09 PM

5 Things Canadian food safety experts will never eat and guess what's at the top of the list???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 27, 2019 5:20 PM

[quote]OP, R 24 is merely pointing out that person on the west coast despises tartare and it's not just the " ignorant" backwards flyovers that arrogant assholes like you assume everyone who isn't an "elite coaster" to be.

Yes, that's why I mentioned where I'm from. Weird that the OP needed the implications of his own words explained to him, but whatever.

[quote]And I assume most of the posters shrieking "Ewww!" on this thread eat sushi

I'm one of the "Ewww!" people, and no, I do not go anywhere near sushi. Raw seafood is stupidity on a plate. I don't need tapeworms in my life.

by Anonymousreply 39October 27, 2019 5:46 PM

MMMmmmmmmm! Ecoli AND salmonella!

by Anonymousreply 40October 27, 2019 6:06 PM

If it’s chopped table side I see no problem. You should be more concerned eating fast food.

by Anonymousreply 41October 27, 2019 6:07 PM

When Adnan Khashoggi was staying in expensive hotels, he'd order steak tartar, inspect it and then send it back to be cooked into hamburgers.

by Anonymousreply 42October 27, 2019 6:16 PM

OP/R35 - your rationalization is as hollow and as ridiculous as Trump's. If you had just left it alone, you wouldn't be exposed as a fool.

by Anonymousreply 43October 27, 2019 6:58 PM

They prepare it table side at Sardi's on W44 just off Times Sq - the appetizer portion is enough for 2 or more people - it's tasty and a fun old school thing to get in a fun old school restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 44October 27, 2019 7:05 PM

This flyover from south has never, nor will he eat pig brains. As far as steak tartare, no thanks. I’m already about one step away from being a vegetarian

by Anonymousreply 45October 27, 2019 7:09 PM

I love it! I always love taking it raw—tartare, sashimi, oyster, sea urchin, cock.

by Anonymousreply 46October 27, 2019 7:20 PM

I think I'd enjoy it more carpaccio style with some capers, etc. Plus something crunchy like toast.

by Anonymousreply 47October 27, 2019 7:28 PM

[R47] I agree, the capers are a nice addition.

by Anonymousreply 48October 27, 2019 7:36 PM

I also like raw beef bowl. It's great!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 27, 2019 7:36 PM

Redneck "Steak Tartare"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50October 27, 2019 7:38 PM

[R43] I don’t know why you’re getting so worked up, just chill and talk about steak tartare.

by Anonymousreply 51October 27, 2019 7:38 PM

[R49] Is that served with ginger? That would be delicious...actually I wonder if there’s a steak tartare version with ginger and garlic?

by Anonymousreply 52October 27, 2019 7:39 PM

My fav.

- Cheryl

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 27, 2019 7:45 PM

Close yer legs, Cheryl.

by Anonymousreply 54October 27, 2019 7:50 PM

I've had it, once, out of curiosity. But I could barely finish it. I don't mind steaks cooked rare, because the bacteria is on the outside of the steak. But rare burgers, no.

Also, a guy I was friends with years ago wouldn't eat beef - not for religious, cultural or ethical reasons, but because his sister died at an early age from contracting what's essentially the human version of mad cow disease.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 27, 2019 8:01 PM

Rare burgers have made a huge comeback. I don’t like the trend. That’s asking for trouble imho.

by Anonymousreply 56October 27, 2019 8:06 PM

Sorry, R51.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 27, 2019 8:14 PM

Not to mention, if you're having this with someone on a date, and are looking to hook up afterwards - having a bathroom blowout a few hours later from food poisoning is not a good situation to be in.

by Anonymousreply 58October 27, 2019 8:27 PM

Speak for yourself R58.

by Anonymousreply 59October 27, 2019 8:36 PM

Would you knock it the eff off with this flyover shit!

by Anonymousreply 60October 27, 2019 8:37 PM

Does it taste gamey?

by Anonymousreply 61October 27, 2019 8:40 PM

This scene from the ‘80s horror film WAXWORK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62October 27, 2019 8:43 PM

I prefer Mr. Bean's take

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63October 27, 2019 8:47 PM

Does it taste gamey?

No. Even raw, beef is rich and fatty. A gamey taste is what we associate with the meat of wild animals like deer, or game birds. Although I do think steak tartare does have a sort of metallic taste.

by Anonymousreply 64October 27, 2019 8:48 PM

R9, the Tartars are not white. They are an Asiatic-Turkic people.

by Anonymousreply 65October 27, 2019 8:50 PM

I always like to hook up first, then do dinner. Why take chances?

by Anonymousreply 66October 27, 2019 9:00 PM

Oui, je me régale de steak tartare.

Avec des frites, bien sûr.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67October 27, 2019 9:02 PM

I like mine rare.

by Anonymousreply 68October 27, 2019 9:06 PM

I don't eat red meat. Enjoy mad cow disease!

by Anonymousreply 69October 27, 2019 9:10 PM

There is no need for the raw egg yolk on top, it's already mixed in, in the French recipe. It's tasty in a SMALL portion, with Cabernet Franc.

by Anonymousreply 70October 27, 2019 9:13 PM

I like it, but truly love carpaccio, I can really put that away, tartare is a nice small bite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 27, 2019 9:31 PM

Y’know, OP really is the “elitist” here. I think I’ll moooove him to permanent ignore.

by Anonymousreply 72October 27, 2019 9:49 PM

R72, do you post in the moo cow thread?

by Anonymousreply 73October 27, 2019 9:51 PM

No, I would have sampled it when I was younger and more adventurous. But I've found I have less and less interest in eating any kind of flesh. I still do, but I can see there will be a point where that will end.

And, since I'm on DL, and based on the OP's original post, I'm a flyover, and I've learned to (usually) just skip over that. I try to participate and contribute, politely, and actually get plenty of WWs, but I stay in my lane, and stick to threads where I feel I belong. Anyone can talk about cooking, or gardening, or Old Hollywood, or British Royals. If you start a thread about Park Slope, I'll skip it, since I have nothing to contribute there. Every now and then, there will be a specific thread that interests me, even though I only read it. We had a nice thread a while back about Marble Hill, the only part of Manhattan that has lawns, since it's now on the other side of Harlem River. I enjoyed reading that, although I don't think I posted on that.

by Anonymousreply 74October 27, 2019 9:56 PM

Not American so only have a vague idea of the "flyover" insult but recently met an early 50s friend of a friend from a small town in Illinois who has never eaten: sushi, avocado, curry. Not in any form. I admit that kind of blew my mind. Is that a common thing or is this guy just particularly unadventurous? Also hasn't eaten fish since childhood because he doesn't like it. Not one kind or preparation of fish, but all fish, all seafood.

by Anonymousreply 75October 27, 2019 10:17 PM

R75 most Americans have never tasted lamb. Let that sink in. They’ll eat catfish but not lamb.

by Anonymousreply 76October 27, 2019 10:19 PM

It'll help clean you out so you can bottom to your heart's delight.

by Anonymousreply 77October 27, 2019 10:27 PM

I enjoy lamb chops extra rare.

by Anonymousreply 78October 27, 2019 10:29 PM

[R78] Fig and Olive, here in L.A., have some great lamb chops. It’s served on gnocchi with sprigs of rosemary.

by Anonymousreply 79October 27, 2019 10:39 PM

I prefer this version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80October 27, 2019 10:45 PM

by Anonymousreply 81October 27, 2019 10:46 PM

R75, 'Flyover' refers to the people in-between New York and Los Angeles/San Francisco who the elite fly over to get to their appointed designations. In other words, rubes, hicks, cretins. I guess simply saying that they're flying over us saves them from calling us the harsher insults.

Anyway, what you mention isn't rare at all. I know plenty of people who've never eaten any of those things. I know very well my ex-BF has never had sushi or avocado. He ordered curry once, since there's an Indian take-out near his office, and he told me that the smell in his car as he drove home bothered him so much that he immediately binned the food the minute he got home. He kept complaining that it smelled like body odor.

I know many people who don't eat fish (at all). I don't get that. But I'm Catholic, and the idea of not eating fish on Fridays is bizarre to me. McDonalds Filet-of-Fish sandwich actually originated in my home town, in Ohio, as a way of maintaining business on Fridays when most Catholics wouldn't eat meat. I still don't eat meat on Fridays, even though I'm not religious.

by Anonymousreply 82October 27, 2019 11:00 PM

Huge fan, but prefer the yolk mixed in. I actually prefer the German version without raw egg (Hakpeter). If egg is to be included, I highly recommend Davidson's pasturized eggs. Any version needs plenty of raw onion or shallot. Maggi is good as well, just a few shakes.

by Anonymousreply 83October 27, 2019 11:05 PM

[R83] thanks for the reply, I love hearing about different versions.

by Anonymousreply 84October 27, 2019 11:06 PM

I live in what the east & west coast assholes called flyover country. Sushi and raw oysters are readily available here. Steak Tartare has been available her since the 70's. I've had them all and really enjoy them. I've never gotten sick from them.

by Anonymousreply 85October 27, 2019 11:12 PM

Your welcome OP. This dish seems to come in and out of favour. I've been eating it since childhood, and assume it's an acquired taste. My mum was a chef, and would make it for us at home quite often. Friends and neighbours thought us odd. This was 70/80s in London. I think unless one really liked French food, it was exotic back then.

by Anonymousreply 86October 27, 2019 11:19 PM

Thanks for the info R76 and R82 - I questioned him on his tastes, simply because I couldn't quite believe what I was hearing (I am from a lower middle class background myself and do not associate any of those foods with the 'elites' - I was eating sushi from strip malls back in the 90s), and it doesn't sound like those foods are unavailable there. Just that he has never tried them.

The intriguing part of this is that he considers himself something of a foodie. Owns a sous-vide machine, the Kenji Lopez-Alt books, watches some food tv etc. I guess I haven't tried literally everything available at a regular supermarket but I feel like you would actually have to be actively trying to avoid foods like curry and avocado. When asked why he hadn't tried these (to me) very normal foods, he seemed embarrassed and like he didn't want to talk about it. He said he didn't feel an aversion or anything, he just hadn't tried them.

On the one hand I didn't want to come across as a bully but on the other hand, damn, that almost feels like wilful and/or pathological unadventurousness. To top it all off he's Catholic but not really very observant (apparently).

by Anonymousreply 87October 27, 2019 11:41 PM

R82 I assume your ex is British (you sounds British)? A Brit who refuses to even try curry? That's extraordinary. Was he raised in one of those classic "boil the shit out of everything, and a tiny pinch of salt is about as spicy as it gets" households?

by Anonymousreply 88October 27, 2019 11:43 PM

Here's a fabulous recipe for steak tartar! I make it often!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89October 28, 2019 1:06 AM

I love it and carpaccio

by Anonymousreply 90October 28, 2019 1:17 AM

I guess people now don't eat lamb but lamb chops was pretty common in the 50s thru 70s when I was growing up. It was a middle class American staple, with mint jelly, which I am sure is now considered tres unsophisticated. I keep a jar in the fridge to have with the occasional lamb chop for nostalgia sake. I've returned to a lot of meals of my childhood including butter lettuce with red onion and blue cheese dressing.

by Anonymousreply 91October 28, 2019 2:11 AM

R88, No, he's not British. He's African-American. He's never had any kind of Indian food. He was willing to give it a shot, but backed out. We actually had a talk about it, and suggested, the next time he stopped over, that we would discuss it a bit more. Growing up, I remember going through all the little herb and spice jars in my Mom's cabinet to familiarize myself with them. Once you know that cumin is its own ingredient, with its own smell, it doesn't seem so overwhelming. African-American cooking has its own horrors (chitterlings) and I know very well those are off-limits to him, too. So, at least I've never been asked to push myself beyond my boundaries. He likes my cooking, but I keep it within the bounds of what I know he'll eat, since he trusts me.

by Anonymousreply 92October 28, 2019 7:14 AM

Looks like pig slop.

by Anonymousreply 93October 28, 2019 8:32 PM

R91, same here. We had lamb chops for dinner quite regularly - sans mint jelly though. I had no idea that was even a thing until well into my adulthood. First time I ever ate mint in a meal was when a guy invited me over to his house for a dinner/date and one of the sides he made was peas with mint & butter.

by Anonymousreply 94October 29, 2019 2:34 PM

I find applesauce goes well with lamb. Or a red wine reduction.

by Anonymousreply 95October 29, 2019 2:38 PM

This video is surreal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96October 31, 2019 4:21 PM

Gee with salmonella in the raw egg, e-coli in the raw beef and add trichinosis in the raw pig brain and you have the gastrointestinal trifecta.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97October 31, 2019 4:30 PM

How is that surreal r96? It’s a straightforward recipe for steak tartare by a French chef. Nothing even vaguely unusual

by Anonymousreply 98October 31, 2019 4:58 PM

Thanks R96 for that perfectly classic steak tartare recipe, looks delicious!

by Anonymousreply 99October 31, 2019 8:46 PM

It's a fucking hamburger. Ground beef. Mustard. Ketchup. Onions. Bread.

by Anonymousreply 100November 1, 2019 12:28 PM

John Elway has a restaurant chain that has a good recipe that I’ve made. It’s really rich so small batches are better. I got the beef from the really good butcher in my neighborhood so I didn’t worry about getting sick. This thread makes me want to make it this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 101November 1, 2019 12:39 PM

It's raw meat, no thanks

by Anonymousreply 102November 1, 2019 12:43 PM

You'd eat it if you were starving.

by Anonymousreply 103November 1, 2019 12:53 PM

[quote]I got the beef from the really good butcher in my neighborhood so I didn’t worry about getting sick.

That makes about as much sense as saying you can't get AIDS if you only fuck strangers at The Four Seasons.

by Anonymousreply 104November 1, 2019 1:43 PM

[R104] Just stop.

by Anonymousreply 105November 1, 2019 1:46 PM

WHY? Oh that's right a baby falling 11 stories to her death is fodder for jokes BUT....

by Anonymousreply 106November 1, 2019 3:54 PM

I won't eat any meat that's not cooked and has to be well done. Anything pink or bloody, no thanks.

by Anonymousreply 107November 1, 2019 3:58 PM

Welcome Donald r107. Want some ketchup with that charred steak???

by Anonymousreply 108November 1, 2019 6:06 PM

[R107] We’ll make sure you get some chicken nuggets, don’t worry.

by Anonymousreply 109November 1, 2019 7:13 PM

I love it. Prepared at a fine restaurant, it's divine.

by Anonymousreply 110November 1, 2019 7:20 PM

Loooooooove it. I respect the choice of those who don’t wish to have raw foods — but don’t rain on my parade. There is obviously disagreement here as to how high the risk actually is — I think it’s quite low. And quite frankly, *any* prepared food can be contaminated with E Coli. If you truly don’t want to risk exposure to this, you would be better off never eating out so that you can completely control the food quality mode directly.

Ohhh, what’s that? You aren’t willing to give up dining out, even though the risk of food poisoning by chefs/cooks who don’t understand proper prep or hygiene or cross-contamination, etc.? I won’t judge you for this lack of consistency in your argument — please don’t judge me.

by Anonymousreply 111November 3, 2019 5:18 AM

I've never had steak tartare and never will, the idea of eating raw meat when I didn't like rare doesn't appeal. For all the braggarts eating raw oysters, I recently heard about a man in my area who died from vibrio after eating some. I had thought bad raw oysters would just result in nausea, diarrhea, etc. but vibrio has a 50% fatality rate!! These were consumed in a month with an "R" also, so the old wive's tale doesn't hold true.

by Anonymousreply 112November 3, 2019 6:15 AM

R96 Never have I been served ketchup with tartare in France. This chef is a sick fuck.

by Anonymousreply 113November 3, 2019 8:10 AM

Just why??????

by Anonymousreply 114November 3, 2019 8:17 AM

R114 she’s thir$ty!!!

by Anonymousreply 115November 3, 2019 12:43 PM

Enjoy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116November 3, 2019 4:39 PM

And just wait until the Republicans deregulate the food industry.

by Anonymousreply 117November 3, 2019 4:41 PM

Love it! Always thought it would be gross before I tried it and when I did I surprisingly thought it was great. And contrary to the marys on here, getting sick or worms from freshly made steak tartare is unlikely. Unfortunately I can only get this delicacy when I visit big cities because there is some stupid law in my town that says all restaurants have to cook beef at least to medium and won’t allow raw beef, which pisses me off because people should have a right to take whatever chance they want with their food.

by Anonymousreply 118November 3, 2019 4:49 PM

R116 Honey, you can get salmonella from lettuce 🥬! There have been several recalls on lettuce in recent years due being contaminated with salmonella.

by Anonymousreply 119November 3, 2019 4:51 PM

For a while in my state it was illegal for restaurants to have steak tartare on their menu. You could ask for it but most restaurants didn’t make it. It’s made a comeback though, like martinis and cigars did.

by Anonymousreply 120November 3, 2019 4:55 PM

Most food borne illness is from produce not meat. It's just more like to be fatal with meat products.

by Anonymousreply 121November 3, 2019 4:57 PM

R120 Do you live in Illinois?

by Anonymousreply 122November 3, 2019 4:59 PM

Ground beef that sits around for weeks is not the same as freshly chopped steak.

by Anonymousreply 123November 3, 2019 5:01 PM

[quote]And New Yorkers wonder why they’re so despised in the midwest.

No we don’t.

by Anonymousreply 124November 3, 2019 5:05 PM

Raw meat and raw egg? Vomit inducing. Change your diet, pig.

by Anonymousreply 125November 3, 2019 5:12 PM

[quote] And New Yorkers wonder why they’re so despised in the midwest.

Honey, the Midwest doesn’t even cross our minds.

by Anonymousreply 126November 3, 2019 5:13 PM

That’s a little too on-the-nose, r126. I vastly prefer r124.

by Anonymousreply 127November 3, 2019 5:20 PM

R75 Not surprising... some people will go to a restaurant and always order mac and cheese or a hamburger.

by Anonymousreply 128November 3, 2019 5:23 PM

My grandfather had trichinosis. He was Irish and they used all parts of the pig for food. I don’t know if he got it from eating undercooked pork or from butchering. Everyone did their own butchering back then.

by Anonymousreply 129November 3, 2019 5:51 PM

[R126] When is the last time you went on a road trip through the U.S.? Fun fact: New York only has 1 UNESCO World Heritage Site. There’s a whole country for you to explore, and it’s all yours.

by Anonymousreply 130November 3, 2019 5:51 PM

No offense, but it looks revolting, especially the raw egg yolk.

I prefer all of my food cooked thoroughly, perhaps a little burnt.

by Anonymousreply 131November 29, 2019 4:24 AM

I’ve always wanted to try it, but I was not sure it would taste good.

by Anonymousreply 132November 29, 2019 4:33 AM

OP I think you’re kind of gross for gratuitously slamming people living in the Midwest.

by Anonymousreply 133November 29, 2019 4:35 AM

They have it at Sardi's but it's too heavy on the chives. It's better without them.

by Anonymousreply 134November 29, 2019 4:46 AM

[quote] OP I think you’re kind of gross for gratuitously slamming people living in the Midwest.

Which means you're also slamming our lord and savior Pete Buttigieg.

by Anonymousreply 135November 29, 2019 4:47 AM

Food poisoning is a small price for sustenance.

by Anonymousreply 136November 29, 2019 4:56 AM

I've eaten it and it was delicious. I also eat sushi & raw oysters. I've never gotten sick. And I live in what the coastal assholes call flyover land.

by Anonymousreply 137November 29, 2019 5:34 AM

[quote]I’ve always wanted to try it, but I was not sure it would taste good.

You're not going to taste it, you'll taste all the spices they throw on it to mask the fact you are eating raw cow.

by Anonymousreply 138November 29, 2019 7:34 AM

R138 You don't have a clue how it tastes. You probably didn't follow the links either. There are NO strong spices used. This isn't a spicy flavour at all, just a well balanced seasoning. Pepper is the only actual spice in the dish.

by Anonymousreply 139November 29, 2019 10:22 AM

Cat food.

by Anonymousreply 140November 29, 2019 2:32 PM

[quote]You're not going to taste it, you'll taste all the spices they throw on it to mask the fact you are eating raw cow.

And you're still getting nutrients you won't get from eating burnt plant matter.

by Anonymousreply 141November 29, 2019 2:44 PM

[R133] I added the flyover part in the same way a chef would supposedly add a strong spice to steak tartare. I don’t care that you live in Newton, MA, sounds boring.

by Anonymousreply 142November 29, 2019 2:49 PM

The raw meat bothers me less than the raw egg for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 143November 29, 2019 3:05 PM

Meat loses its vitamins when it's overcooked.

by Anonymousreply 144November 29, 2019 3:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!