Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Midsomer Murders/John Nettles/Neil Dudgeon

I love this tv series whether I am watching reruns or new episodes it doesn't matter to me. The leading characters in the show DCI Tom Barnaby,His Wife Joyce and Daughter Cully are wonderful and whilst you don't see much of the latter 2 in the first few episodes they do gradually appear more frequently. One of my favourite episodes is where Neil Dudgeon is introduced to the show as DCI John Barnaby and eventually His wife Sarah and we tend to have a more intimate relationship with these characters as we venture through the episodes with Sarah and John preparing for a new member of the family who is eventually named Betty. I also love the antics of their dog Sykes and (when he retired from the show) the way the writers portrayed Sykes death and how it was explained to "Betty" . I thought it was all done with aplomb. BTW I am an Aussie but there are many British tv shows that I love that we get here in Australia on both free-to-air tv and pay tv. My favourites apart from Midsomer are: A Touch of Frost, Lewis Endeavour, Inspector Morse, Vera, Foyle's War, Father Brown,Death in Paradise,DCI Banks,Line of Duty, just to name a few plus a few of the comedies such as Keeping Up Appearances, As Time Goes By, The Vicar of Dibley, Fawlty Towers etc. I do wish I could afford to by many of the complete series of these shows on DVD but seeing as I can't I contine to watch them whenever they appear on our screens.

by Anonymousreply 45May 4, 2020 9:48 PM

Nail Dudgeon is a honey. Did you see the marathon of a few weeks ago which featured Before-They-Were-Famous actors in bit parts, Peter Capaldi and Orlando Bloom, etc?

by Anonymousreply 1October 27, 2019 8:37 AM

I can't stand the new Barnby, he always looks annoyed. And I couldn't care less about his home life.

by Anonymousreply 2December 30, 2019 2:03 PM

Netflix had the first 19 seasons of Midsome Murders and last winter, I watched 'em all. John Nettles is my favorite, but I'd fuck Neil Dudgeon, too. And all the assistants. Line 'em up.

It must have been humiliating for Laura Howard, the actress playing Cully, to be replaced by a dog.

by Anonymousreply 3December 30, 2019 2:15 PM

Cully was a pointless character, with an endless supply of old school friends/possible murderers.

Don't get me started on how idle that Joyce was either, why didn't she get a job?!

by Anonymousreply 4December 30, 2019 2:20 PM

Because she was home cooking for her husband!

by Anonymousreply 5December 30, 2019 2:25 PM

Joyce was busy with her volunteer work and choral singing.

by Anonymousreply 6December 30, 2019 2:32 PM

Joyce was a terrible cook.

I'd love a threeway with Sargents Troy and Scott!

by Anonymousreply 7December 30, 2019 2:33 PM

No longer on Netflix, but it’s on Roku with a commercial here and there.

by Anonymousreply 8December 30, 2019 2:59 PM

John Nettles and his sidekick Ben Jones were my favorite detective duo on this series.

I don't care for the new Barnaby. Dudgeon's pursed lips and turned up nose always make him look like he's smelling a bad odor.

by Anonymousreply 9December 30, 2019 3:08 PM

Troy always seemed like the type to fart loudly in the car and scratch his balls instead of minding the road!

by Anonymousreply 10December 30, 2019 3:27 PM

I enjoy watching MSM more than most prestige television. It’s pure escapism and not as grim as most scandi detectives.

by Anonymousreply 11December 30, 2019 3:42 PM

The thing I love about Midsome Murders is that there is never just the one murder. It always unleashes a chain reaction violent death.

No one is safe in Midsomer!

by Anonymousreply 12December 30, 2019 3:48 PM

Love Midsmoer Murders. And I love how the new coroner puts the new Barnaby in his place with her sharp tongue.

To me (apart from Murder, She Wrote, of course) MM is great comfort crime mystery entertainment where you enjoy around 90 minutes of cozy countryside murder mystery. In the early seasons though they had a better talent to create larger than life characters like the mother and son duo in Badger's Drift (which, I believe, is the first episode of the show, Murder in Badger's Drift).

by Anonymousreply 13December 30, 2019 4:43 PM

I wasn't a big fan of Cully, while Joyce I thought of as a running joke.

by Anonymousreply 14December 30, 2019 5:02 PM

Joyce and her cooking were a running joke.

Cully was just a device. She had very little consistent storyline. Whatever they needed someone to do, they just slathered onto Cully.

by Anonymousreply 15December 30, 2019 5:29 PM

Joyce had a great talent to be around the first murder of the episode and sometimes several more. It's almost like the first Barnaby couldn't be bothered to show up at the crime scene unless Joyce is there. I think that's real love (or he was hoping she was the murder victim?). I loved Cully. There is an episode where she performs a stage play at a local amphitheatre and she is in the middle of her big monologue and right there her dad gets an epiphany and solves the murder and without regard stands up and leaves and distracts his daughter in that pivotal moment. I always felt sorry for her having such a rude, self centered dad.

by Anonymousreply 16December 30, 2019 5:37 PM

r3, Cully sounds more like a dog's name than a human's name anyway.

by Anonymousreply 17December 30, 2019 5:53 PM

My favorite sidekick for the new Barnaby series was Gwilym Lee. For some reason, the new detective Nick Hendrix leaves me cold even though he's not bad looking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 30, 2019 6:05 PM

In my opinion, Jason Hughes was the best sidekick (so far). Although he's just average looking, his character of Detective Ben Jones was better developed and he had a sense of humor. You also saw some story lines about his personal life. I did find his cleft chin very distracting. LOL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 30, 2019 6:09 PM

Jane Wymark had and still has horrid hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 30, 2019 6:11 PM

I just discovered this series and have enjoyed watching it.

Still in the early seasons but several things have struck me. First is how concerned everyone is about their family name and/or standing in the community. Coming from a working class family, I would find an attempt to blackmail me regarding some "family secret" to be more hilarious than frightening.

Also, in several of the earlier episodes, the killer usually appears "normal" until the fantasy world they have constructed for themselves hits reality. Once that switch is flipped, they just give up all pretense on sanity and go on a rampage.

But I do enjoy the beautiful English countryside and the architecture. A nice, calm distraction.

by Anonymousreply 21December 30, 2019 6:14 PM

R16 I think he had the ephinany at the end of The Killings at Badger's Drift (a name the murder victim had mentioned before their murder finally making sense in context), but he didn't get up. Was there another instance?

I love the village names: Badger's Drift, Midsomer Mallow, Aspern Tallow to name a few!

by Anonymousreply 22December 30, 2019 7:29 PM

Love the show. Love the books too. Charming homes and crazy characters. One of my fav episodes is the hot mailman who fucks everyone along his route.

by Anonymousreply 23December 30, 2019 7:36 PM

I love the one with the bunch of women who meet to bet on the stock market. The old lady getting whacked with her own cane made me LOL. "Bookie's Daughter!"

by Anonymousreply 24December 30, 2019 7:46 PM

[quote] I think he had the ephinany at the end of The Killings at Badger's Drift (a name the murder victim had mentioned before their murder finally making sense in context), but he didn't get up. Was there another instance?

The one I was referring to, at r16, was when Barnaby realizes that two suspects share the same odd way of quoting a phrase and he realizes that they are mother and daughter plotting the murder of the one who they held responsible for the husband's / father's death.

by Anonymousreply 25December 30, 2019 8:17 PM

In one of the early episodes with the new Barnaby I noticed, during a close up, that Dudgeon had a huge nasty pimple in his ear. I wish I could remember which episode. Joyce was irritating as fuck and really did have bad hair. Haven't the make-up and hair people discovered mousse? Her hair is so thin and flat it looks like a skull cap.

by Anonymousreply 26December 30, 2019 8:29 PM

I thought that was the charm, and point, of the show that the locals didn't look like supermodels in Midsomer? Especially in the early seasons.

by Anonymousreply 27December 30, 2019 8:32 PM

R25 that's the long and the tall of it! Thanks for reminding me..

by Anonymousreply 28December 30, 2019 8:38 PM

I just started watching this series on Roku.

I think Detective Sergeant Troy is appealing, in a Brit sort of way. Tall and and has reasonably straight teeth. Good facial acting.

by Anonymousreply 29January 20, 2020 10:52 AM

I love this show! My favorite character is"Jones" ('Jonesy' to me), Jason Hughes. Very masculine.

My favorite episode is Season One, Episode 3: "Faithful Unto Death," with the 45-year-old Roger Allam, late of "Endeavour."

by Anonymousreply 30January 20, 2020 2:27 PM

In the beginning, Cully's theatre involvement offered inspiration for "light-bulb" moments to help her father solve the crimes. I suppose the writers ran out of steam and/or interest to keep the motif going.

by Anonymousreply 31January 20, 2020 2:42 PM

I don't like the way Barnaby and Troy play fast and loose with proper police procedure and civil rights as a means to drive the plot forward.

by Anonymousreply 32January 20, 2020 9:18 PM

Just got BritBox and have been watching episodes every night. I love it.

In a season 7 episode, I noticed a photo of 2 children hugging each other in the Barnaby home. Did Cully have a sibling that passed away?

by Anonymousreply 33January 20, 2020 10:33 PM

I liked the dishy Daniel Scott. He was supposed to be developed as a love interest to Cully, but it never panned out. The gay actor had a female love interest in one of the episodes and it was not convincing by a long shot.

by Anonymousreply 34January 20, 2020 11:28 PM

r33, not that I remember.

by Anonymousreply 35January 21, 2020 1:39 AM

Feel the same, R2, although I can't blame John Nettles for wanting to do something else.

by Anonymousreply 36January 21, 2020 2:00 AM

Anybody else enjoy this?

by Anonymousreply 37April 19, 2020 2:48 PM

Is it shameful to find Neil Dudgeon sexy?

by Anonymousreply 38April 19, 2020 4:55 PM

I like Blood Wedding where that idiot Cully finally gets married. Troy makes a special guest appearance.

by Anonymousreply 39April 19, 2020 6:17 PM

Yes R38. I posted this on another thread about Midsomer Murders, but early in the Neil Dudgeon episodes there is a scene that showed a close up of Neil and he had a huge red pimple with a white head on it in his ear, That, his acne scars and his face in general were sufficient to turn me off of old Neil.

by Anonymousreply 40April 20, 2020 1:10 PM

R40, I don't dismiss men with acne scars. I sometimes find that they look attractive despite the scars. I have always found Bryan Adams very attractive even though his face is even more scarred than Dudgeon's.

by Anonymousreply 41April 20, 2020 1:21 PM

Neil can't act either. I find him smirking his way through these to be a turnoff. Loved the show with Nettles, though. Is it true that they are remaking multiple episodes with Neil that were done years ago with Nettles? I could swear I saw one not that long ago. Like the writers have finally reached the bottom of the barrel.

by Anonymousreply 42May 2, 2020 5:53 PM

Ugh you are so right R42. How many episodes of how many murder mysteries must we watch where someone is boiled in a vat of wine?? Or during a cricket match?

by Anonymousreply 43May 4, 2020 9:02 PM

On a different Midsomer Murder thread someone suggested the Brit show Kingdom, starring Stephen Fry, and one episode of season / series three features Neil Dudgeon as obsessive syfy nerd who completely ignores his son. I swear Neil shows more emotion in that one 45 minutes episode than in the entire run of Midsomer Murders (including the early guest stint as different character in some early episode as some mysterious gardener).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 4, 2020 9:42 PM

R44, none of the actors need to show much emotion on shows like Midsomer Murders. These shows are comfortable gigs for the actors. All they need to do is show, go to costume, hair and makeup, memorize a few generic lines and deliver a low-key performance for the camera.

The hours are probably not that long either.

by Anonymousreply 45May 4, 2020 9:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!