Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Patti LuPone on getting bullied by Broadway

[quote]And why she keeps coming back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77January 27, 2020 12:10 AM

"My PA brought back my peppermint latte and it was hot, not superhot the way i like it. I threw its contents right in his face while i screamed at him--I won;t stand for such obvious bullying."

by Anonymousreply 1October 21, 2019 4:28 PM

Her face looks a bit like Patti Clarkson's in that photo, what with the lighting, the angle, and that devious smile.

by Anonymousreply 2October 21, 2019 4:34 PM

Very good interview. I love Patti, been a fan for decades. She is so honest it must have been a reason she has had tough time with her career.

by Anonymousreply 3October 21, 2019 4:40 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 21, 2019 4:41 PM

[italic]Has[/italic] she had a tough time in her career? I really don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 5October 21, 2019 4:42 PM

You bitches want to talk about a tough time?

How 'bout the reaming out I got when I used my cell phone during one of Ms. LuPone's "performances."

by Anonymousreply 6October 21, 2019 4:44 PM

She is really appreciative of her audience when she can tell they are into it. A friend of mine and I went to see "War Paint", and sat in the front row. Petrified of what might happen, I took the battery out of my phone "just in case". She was in front of us at one point and we were very enthusiastic about her number and applauded loudly. She looked down at us with a smirk that indicated, "Well at least I know the gays like me!" But it was obvious that she was pleased. Bernadette pointed at us when we were in nearly the same distance at "Hello, Dolly!". Theater people love it when their audiences pay attention!

by Anonymousreply 7October 21, 2019 4:47 PM

She's a true brassy Brooklyn broad. Love her

by Anonymousreply 8October 21, 2019 4:50 PM

Can someone post the article? I'm not subscribing to the Times to read it.

by Anonymousreply 9October 21, 2019 4:57 PM

She wasn't honest about coking it up during LES MIZ, according to some of the cast.

by Anonymousreply 10October 21, 2019 5:02 PM

[quote]She wasn't honest about coking it up during LES MIZ, according to some of the cast.

Especially since she had been coking it at least since Evita.

She would do a full performance of Evita and then go down and do her cabaret act at Les Mouches.

by Anonymousreply 11October 21, 2019 5:08 PM

I think Prince was itching to fire her and bring in Paige. It's surprising they never did bring in Paige. From what I gather, the London replacements were on the whole more successful than the NY ones.

by Anonymousreply 12October 21, 2019 5:10 PM

This ugly ass possum has some nerve. A bully talking about being bullied. haha. Bitch doesn't deserve a career at all. UGLY as sin, HORRID actress and bland insincere singer. Fuck off and die you old biddy.

by Anonymousreply 13October 21, 2019 5:12 PM

R8 She is from Long Island.

by Anonymousreply 14October 21, 2019 5:13 PM

[quote]I think Prince was itching to fire her and bring in Paige.

For Evita? He had plenty of chances. LuPone stayed with the show on Broadway for two years, which back then was unheard of. The leads usually did 6 months or at most 1 year and then departed the show. A full two years was unheard of.

by Anonymousreply 15October 21, 2019 5:14 PM

r13 = Christine Ebersole

by Anonymousreply 16October 21, 2019 5:15 PM

LuPone was a success in EVITA but even she claims that the understudy got better notices in the LA tryout.

by Anonymousreply 17October 21, 2019 5:15 PM

[quote]LuPone was a success in EVITA but even she claims that the understudy got better notices in the LA tryout.

And as she herself says, in the tryout period, she couldn't sing the role.

And then for the next 30 years, she trashed Andrew Lloyd-Webber saying he couldn't write for women.

by Anonymousreply 18October 21, 2019 5:18 PM

I can't imagine going thru life such a crank. If she hadn't been chosen for "Evita" there is a chance she'd be back on Long Island babysitting the grandchildren but she never passes a moment to attack Andrew Lloyd Webber. She's in show business and he made a business decision with "Sunset Blvd", you'd think he stole her first born.

[quote]I thought “Evita” was the best thing he and Tim Rice did. But the rest of it is schmaltz.

No Dear, it's music you can't sing.

[quote]I knew at 4 years old where I was going and what I was going to do,” said LuPone .....“And I didn’t think I was going to be in the chorus.”

[quote]It diminished my status in the company as the leading lady. He treated me like a stupid chorus girl.

For someone who demands such respect, she doesn't have much for the chorus.

by Anonymousreply 19October 21, 2019 5:19 PM

r9 Album with the article and the accompanying photos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 21, 2019 5:19 PM

[Quote] No Dear, it's music you can't sing.

But wasn't LuPone the only major Norma Desmond to sing the songs as originally written?

by Anonymousreply 21October 21, 2019 5:20 PM

Patti can be great, but also really tedious without great material.

She did a "Torch Songs" concert at Lincoln Center some years back, and it was truly one of the dullest nights out I have endured, and I thought I really liked her. She was incredibly uninteresting, which was a huge shock. I thought it would never end.

It makes you realize how magical certain performers are who can just stand there, sing, and hold your attention. Brian Stokes Mitchell, another talented singer/actor was also duller than watching paint dry in a solo concert at Carnegie Hall some years ago.

by Anonymousreply 22October 21, 2019 5:23 PM

[quote]But wasn't LuPone the only major Norma Desmond to sing the songs as originally written?

She should, he wrote it for her.

by Anonymousreply 23October 21, 2019 5:26 PM

[quote]But wasn't LuPone the only major Norma Desmond to sing the songs as originally written?

Patti was ROYALLY pissed when the Sunset Boulevard box office opened and the hold music was Barbra Streisand singing "With One Look."

by Anonymousreply 24October 21, 2019 5:29 PM

[quote]I thought “Evita” was the best thing he and Tim Rice did. But the rest of it is schmaltz.

I'm surprised not everyone on earth doesn't realize that "Evita" is pure 1970s schmaltz!

It IS!

by Anonymousreply 25October 21, 2019 5:33 PM

Well, she's not wrong about Lloyd Webber. Most of his musicals do suck. Evita and Sunset Boulevard are the only watchable ones and the latter would be better without all those awful chorus numbers that just sit there.

I've never thought she was the world's best actress, but she does have more stage presence than 50 of those theatre school kids combined. When she's well cast, she's brilliant. I think her main issue is that she's not very surprising. I remember seeing her in Gypsy and thinking "yep, this is exactly how I'd imagine Patti would deliver that line or sing that lyric."

by Anonymousreply 26October 21, 2019 5:40 PM

If they ever make a (musical) movie of "Sunset Boulevard", they should do what Howard Hawks did to "Gentleman Prefer Blondes" and cut the songs down to a minimum (i.e. retain Norma's songs, mostly).

by Anonymousreply 27October 21, 2019 5:45 PM

That's the only way I could see a movie version of Sunset working. Even get rid of that terrible love ballad for Joe and Betty. Every time I've seen it on stage, that scene stalls the story horribly.

by Anonymousreply 28October 21, 2019 5:49 PM

Generally bad diction. She's the Joan Sutherland of Broadway.

It was the producers for Evita who wanted to replace her and bring in the equally tiresome Elaine Paige, who had done the role in London.

by Anonymousreply 29October 21, 2019 6:04 PM

[quote]replace her and bring in the equally tiresome Elaine Paige, who had done the role in London.

They didn't because Elaine is a midget and they would have had to recast Mandy, Bob Gunton and half the chorus.

by Anonymousreply 30October 21, 2019 6:09 PM

How long had Paige been doing the show in London by the time of the New York opening?

by Anonymousreply 31October 21, 2019 6:24 PM

Fun interview- she's honest. I have a hard time watching her on stage however. Funny because on camera (film) she is much more real- not all overplayed movement and emotion and that mouth zig zagging everywhere like on stage. And the voice- it is Mermanesque in that it is loud and grating- almost like chalk on a blackboard. So... I saw Evita in San Francisco before it came to NYC (with Patti). I thought she was beneath the level of the show- so I agree with Hal Prince! I think she grew into the role. Mandy P. as Che was the star (little did I know what a maniac he would turn out to be.)

by Anonymousreply 32October 21, 2019 6:31 PM

I saw Paige when she finally made it to the US (I think it was Sweeney Todd, but I can't remember).

It was totally underwhelming. Maybe she was better at the height of her British career.

by Anonymousreply 33October 21, 2019 6:36 PM

LuPone only started bashing Lloyd Webber after the Sunset Blvd debacle. Before that, she was just fine with his music.

by Anonymousreply 34October 21, 2019 6:37 PM

Paige was actually the best Norma in Sunset.

by Anonymousreply 35October 21, 2019 6:37 PM

And now for your musical enjoyment.

Stephen Sondheim Celebration - Carnegie Hall -1992

Butter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 21, 2019 6:46 PM

R35 I saw her Betty and Patti in London and I thought Elaine was the worst. Not bad but not my favorite. Patti was excellent Betty was very good but Elaine’s Norma tried to bee funny, didn’t work for me.

by Anonymousreply 37October 21, 2019 7:01 PM

[quote]I saw her Betty and Patti in London and I thought Elaine was the worst.

Elaine was better than Pet Clarke. Talk about miscast!

by Anonymousreply 38October 21, 2019 7:03 PM

Patti, are you okay? No one ever asks Patti if she’s okay. It’s tough, isn’t it? Would it be safe to say you’re not okay? Tell us, Patti.

You’re welcome, Patti.

by Anonymousreply 39October 21, 2019 7:05 PM

R38 Yes! Petula’s performance based on youtube was less than perfect.

by Anonymousreply 40October 21, 2019 7:06 PM

I guess Paige settled into the role by the time she joined the New York production then.

by Anonymousreply 41October 21, 2019 7:09 PM

[quote]Yes! Petula’s performance based on youtube was less than perfect.

I saw her in London. It looked like a good fit on paper. Pet could do that overblown, faded star bit. However, the performance I saw, she was very flirty and girlish. You could never believe that someone so "giggly" could pull the trigger.

by Anonymousreply 42October 21, 2019 7:12 PM

[Quote] You could never believe that someone so "giggly" could pull the trigger.

I gotta pee.

by Anonymousreply 43October 21, 2019 7:15 PM

She loves Paris

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 21, 2019 7:17 PM

After watching the last revival of Evita on Bway with the Argentine actress with the awful raspy voice, I thought that Evita needed to be a bulldozer like Patti's version to be effective.

This summer, I saw Evita in Regent's Park, London. An American with a solid voice (Samantha Pauly) played her younger, more coy and vulnerable, and that won me over. Now it's hard to listen to Patti's version. Patti can hit the notes gloriously but she portrays Evita as having balls of steel from the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 45October 21, 2019 7:20 PM

There really was only one person that ever really captured all of Evita. I think we all know who that was.

by Anonymousreply 46October 21, 2019 7:24 PM

I still like the punky Julie Covington.

by Anonymousreply 47October 21, 2019 7:25 PM

High School Musical....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 21, 2019 7:32 PM

Hot damn! That high school girl is fantastic. That's raw talent right there. It's a great fit for her voice.

by Anonymousreply 49October 21, 2019 8:25 PM

Miss Haley Gustafson....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50October 21, 2019 8:33 PM

[quote]High School Musical....

Geez, the tempo on that is at half the pace it should be. Can't those teenagers speed it up a bit?

by Anonymousreply 51October 21, 2019 8:34 PM

LuPone was pretty unknown when she starred in EVITA, so its no wonder she stayed with it for so long: what else was she going to do? Even when she left she did pretty uninteresting work in theater and film, and when she finally did ANYTHING GOES at Lincoln Center a few years later it was considered a big Broadway comeback.

Her replacements in EVITA were really awful: I saw both Derin Altay and Loni Ackerman in the part, and they were both terrible. I've yet to see someone play it other than LuPone (and reputedly Elaine Page--I never actually saw her play it) who could really command the stage.

by Anonymousreply 52October 21, 2019 8:35 PM

WTF is any high school attempting Evita?

by Anonymousreply 53October 21, 2019 8:41 PM

Haven't they done FOLLIEs in high school(s)?

by Anonymousreply 54October 21, 2019 8:42 PM

R52, I saw Loni Ackerman and thought she was fine.

Granted I was in high school and had the flu during the show, so, I'm sure anyone would have sounded fine.

by Anonymousreply 55October 21, 2019 8:42 PM

Ackerman could at least dance it, r52....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 21, 2019 8:43 PM

Yes, r54......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 21, 2019 8:46 PM

r56, when I saw Ackerman she spoke-sang almost all her songs. i don't know if her voice was suffering from strain or what, but it was like watching Rex Harrison perform the role.

by Anonymousreply 58October 21, 2019 8:53 PM

Not at all a Patti fan ever since hearing her screaming her way through Anything Goes. You can belt Porter but you can't scream his songs the way you can Lloyd Weber.

That being said she was wonderful in War Paint. And it didn't even have one decent song in it which was kind of astonishing. How does any professional composer do that? That dinosaur song was as bad as An Ordinary Couple. In fact every song in it was as bad as An Ordinary couple.

by Anonymousreply 59October 21, 2019 8:57 PM

When she got the role in Evita, People magazine did a profile and their title called her an acting nobody LOL. Her understudy was Terri Klausner, who Lupone called a real life Eve Harrington. She sounds like a real pill.

by Anonymousreply 60October 21, 2019 9:13 PM

[quote]Generally bad diction.

She acknowledges it in the interview and says her teacher, the future Oscar winner John Houseman actually put his hands around her neck to choke her because he was so frustrated by it.

by Anonymousreply 61October 21, 2019 9:15 PM

I imagine she was suffering from vocal strain, r58, because she does have pipes....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62October 21, 2019 9:23 PM

Didn't Patti have a Tony nomination before EVITA? She wasn't a star but she was hardly picked out of a cattle call.

by Anonymousreply 63October 21, 2019 9:24 PM

....at Les Mouches

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64October 21, 2019 9:31 PM

She was in WORKING.....

by Anonymousreply 65October 21, 2019 9:32 PM

[quote]She acknowledges it in the interview and says her teacher, the future Oscar winner John Houseman actually put his hands around her neck to choke her because he was so frustrated by it.

Which is probably a lie because during her Anything Goes days, she said that nobody told her that her diction was bad. And it was so bad that Forbidden Broadway even did a spoof about it.

by Anonymousreply 66October 21, 2019 9:34 PM

[quote]Didn't Patti have a Tony nomination before EVITA? She wasn't a star but she was hardly picked out of a cattle call.

She was nominated in 1976 for The Robber Bridegroom. Her brother was also nominated that year for A Chorus Line. Both went home empty handed.

by Anonymousreply 67October 21, 2019 9:38 PM

[Quote] Forbidden Broadway even did a spoof about it

I begtadiffyabilly!

by Anonymousreply 68October 21, 2019 9:41 PM

I saw all of the well known Norma Desmonds in Sunset Boulevard including Petula Clark and Diahann Carrol. No one came close to Mrs. Tom Bradford. The quality is bad because it's obviously pirated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69October 21, 2019 9:47 PM

Many concur R69

by Anonymousreply 70October 22, 2019 5:01 PM

Love Patti!!!! Unpopular opinion.....Glenn Close was much better as Norma Desmond.

by Anonymousreply 71January 26, 2020 4:19 AM

Patti is more than a little justified in her rancor against ALW. She had a contract to record the first two singles from Sunset Blvd., and to appear in the show on Broadway. ALW broke the contract and she successfully sued him. I saw her do the show in London and agreed with the critics who said she was too young for the role, and I hated the show itself. I saw it years later on Broadway with Elaine Paige, and while I still hated the show she was fabulous. ALW said that he wished the show had opened in London with her, as it would still be running now.

I've seen more than a few Evitas through the years. Didn't see Lupone in the role, but I saw Derin Altay and Loni Ackerman several times each. Both sang the show well and gave excellent performances. Stephanie Lawrence in London was good too.

Patti needs good material and a strong director to shine. She was dazzling in Women On The Verge (show was much better than its reviews).

by Anonymousreply 72January 26, 2020 5:20 AM

R72 Yeah Patti has every right to be bitter about that, and I'm glad she got the "Andrew Lloyd Webber Memorial Pool" out of it. It's interesting because I agree with you that she appeared too young for the part. Ironically, Glenn Close is only two years older than Patti, but she looked older. I agree with R71 that Glenn Close was better in the role. I saw Patti in the original and then Glenn when she reprized the role in 2017. Patti sang it wonderfully, but I didn't buy her as Norma. To be blunt she lacked the glamour needed to pull off a silent movie star.

by Anonymousreply 73January 26, 2020 6:37 PM

Patti was one of the best singers of the score easily, but just wasn't the right type for Norma. She's was perfect for a delusional, salt of the earth Depression-era mother in Gypsy, but not as a delusional, washed up silent film starlet.

by Anonymousreply 74January 26, 2020 6:55 PM

R72 I saw LuPone Buckley and Paige in London and liked Elaine the least. Patti and Betty were different but sensational.

by Anonymousreply 75January 26, 2020 7:09 PM

Patti was unwilling to be ugly and scary and rapacious as Norma--she just wanted to be vulnerable and frightened.

by Anonymousreply 76January 26, 2020 7:16 PM

R74 Yes, Patti can sing circles around the other ladies. When Glenn Close took over the role, they had to transpose the end of 'With One Voice' two tones because Close couldn't reach the final note. The put in a modulation in the line 'this time I'm staying, I'm staying for good' and it is horrific if you compare it to the original score. That being said, I agree Patti was totally miscast as Norma. Part of the issue between her and ALW was that she resisted what he and Trevor Nunn wanted her to do with the role which was to make her scary and unbalanced. This was why they went with Glenn Close for Broadway because she was willing to go there...and in fact went over the top with it in a sick but campy way. Hands down, however, Buckley was the best Norma. I saw close a few years ago when she revived the part in London and she was a little too Cruella De Ville for my liking.

I might get bitch slapped for this, but I've always felt LuPone was overrated as an actress. She's the same in every role. It's Patti LuPone being Patti LuPone.

I saw Glenn Close

by Anonymousreply 77January 27, 2020 12:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!