Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Amazon Music HD. Is it Worth it?

90 day free trial applies only to Amazon Music Unlimited customers. I'm with Spotify which doesn't offer anything similar at the moment unfortunately. I listen to music mostly on my phone. Have a pair of Senheissers which sound better than the $400 headphones that were gifted to me several years ago. Would I benefit from more fidelity if I'm listening through an Iphone? Do I need a separate amp?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 10, 2019 5:04 PM

I'm an audiophile and I think it's worth it but then again I do listen to music on a $900 DAP and the extra $7 or so I pay for it is far better than the $25 I was paying for other services (Tidal, Qobuz, Deezer). If you're going to listen to music from your iPhone to some airpods or Beats, don't bother. If you want to invest a little effort into buying a headphone amp such as a Fiio Q1 and listening through wired headphones, your experience will be greatly enhanced.

It is also the hi-res solution where the user experience is more like that of Spotify. It'll give you radio station suggestions or song suggestions based on what you listen to as opposed to Tidal, which shoves all of Jay-Z's shitty artists down your throat.

by Anonymousreply 1October 10, 2019 3:22 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. The Sennheiser sounds the best out of the box, and gets very good volume. It's been my go to pair for years and is the best in terms of comfort and sound quality. The expensive pair doesn't get as loud (perhaps I need the amp) and is much more bulky. The Fiio Q1 looks really sweet.

I didn't upgrade to a new iphone when they got rid of the headphone jack. Bluetooth headphones suck for listening to music. I have a pair which I only use occasionally for watching TV.

by Anonymousreply 2October 10, 2019 3:53 PM

Go to Hydrogenaudio and ask this, they are seriously hardcore audiophiles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 10, 2019 4:03 PM

Does it have the same amount of music as Apple Music?

by Anonymousreply 4October 10, 2019 4:27 PM

[quote] I didn't upgrade to a new iphone when they got rid of the headphone jack. Bluetooth headphones suck for listening to music

The new iphones allow you to connect via the charging port. Doesn't that give better sound quality?

by Anonymousreply 5October 10, 2019 4:28 PM

r2 - Yeah, if your expensive headphones don't get loud, it's because your phone isn't enough to power them.

r4- Apple Music touts over 40 million Amazon over 45 million.

r5 - I guess technically using the 3.5 adapter with your headphones would be better but if I'm listening to my iPhone without an amp for music, I'm just going to go ahead and use a good set of bluetooth headphones. Sony actually makes what I think are the best bluetooth headphones (wh-1000XM3, WF1000Xm3). Not to get too geeky but the white headphone adapter that you buy from Apple acts as a digital to analog converter (think of it as an unpowered, $10 version of the Fiio Q1 amp that I referenced above) and is really only useful if you're on a budget or have a pair of wired headphones that you just absolutely have to use.

Regarding Bluetooth: The technology is actually getting better but Apple won't get on board. AptX HD and LDAC (CD-like quality) codecs are being used in some of the better bluetooth headphones now but only Android phones and audio devices use it.

by Anonymousreply 6October 10, 2019 5:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!