Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What would Mama Cass eat?

We know people these days are obese because of ridiculous, fried, fatty foods but food was healthier in the 60s.

What was her typical dinner besides ham sandwiches?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54October 9, 2019 3:28 PM

She's big boned! 60's big boned!

by Anonymousreply 1October 8, 2019 12:18 AM

Is Mama bottomless in that photo?

by Anonymousreply 2October 8, 2019 12:20 AM

She did Hardees commercials long before my town had a Hardees. She would have tried Weight Watchers and lost the weight had she lived. Had her own talk show and continued to do Vegas.

by Anonymousreply 3October 8, 2019 12:20 AM

Chocolate mousse and grasshopper pie

by Anonymousreply 4October 8, 2019 12:22 AM

Eggnog. Three times a day, all year long. Also fried chicken.

by Anonymousreply 5October 8, 2019 12:24 AM

Burgers and shakes

by Anonymousreply 6October 8, 2019 12:34 AM

What [italic]wouldn't[/italic] she eat, is the real question.

by Anonymousreply 7October 8, 2019 1:05 AM

Pecan pies and people still deeo fried chicken in the 60s. They did it more to frazzle away all the rotten bits.

by Anonymousreply 8October 8, 2019 1:07 AM

Mama was from Baltimore so I'm thinking steamed crabs dumped on a brown paper covered table, fried crab cakes and pit beef sandwiches all washed down with a pitcher of Natty Boh.

by Anonymousreply 9October 8, 2019 1:16 AM

Ham sandwiches

by Anonymousreply 10October 8, 2019 1:18 AM

[quote] What was her typical dinner besides ham sandwiches?

One must recognize the deep and moving intelligence of Miss R10, who answered.....

[quote] Ham sandwiches

by Anonymousreply 11October 8, 2019 1:22 AM

The large platter of ham sandwiches was just an appetizer.

by Anonymousreply 12October 8, 2019 1:22 AM

She once said her diet trick was to never eat anything white.

I guess that ham sandwich was on pumpernickel.

by Anonymousreply 13October 8, 2019 1:26 AM

Huge roast dinners with all the fat left on the meat. Plenty of thick, fatty gravy and grits. Massive apple and cherry pies with cinnamon baked into the crust. Vast chocolate fudge cakes.

by Anonymousreply 14October 8, 2019 1:27 AM

r14, oh, the traditional DL fatty diet.

by Anonymousreply 15October 8, 2019 1:49 AM

Tons of hairy hippie male ass. Mama Cass was a renowned rimmer. She was known to cough up hairballs mid performance!

by Anonymousreply 16October 8, 2019 1:52 AM

Everything Karen Carpenter handed her.

by Anonymousreply 17October 8, 2019 1:52 AM

Here is a photo of Mama Cass eating. What the hell is on her plate?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 8, 2019 2:14 AM

Caption this, bitches!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 8, 2019 2:15 AM

Steak. Everyone ate meat and potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 20October 8, 2019 2:35 AM

I'm thinking she'd first go with the rumaki and dig into the gelatin mold (maybe the aspic) for starters.

by Anonymousreply 21October 8, 2019 2:52 AM

Mama Cass was not that big....she was no bigger than Adele. The 60s fashion made her look bigger.

by Anonymousreply 22October 8, 2019 3:05 AM

The troll at R14 is making me hungry!

by Anonymousreply 23October 8, 2019 4:50 AM

The dude at R14 must be typing from experience... reminds me of the way CS Lewis would describe Narnian feasts.

Mama Cass looks SOOOOOOOO fun! In all the performances I've seen her in, she's so lively and spirited, and she looks like she's having a blast at R19. I'll forever love her for being a part of the band that sang "Twelve Thirty". I wish Tarantino had featured her more in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 24October 8, 2019 4:54 AM

Damn, now DL has to start picking on DEAD fat people? Not enough living fatties for you? F&F.

by Anonymousreply 25October 8, 2019 5:07 AM

Carbs, carbs, and carbs.

by Anonymousreply 26October 8, 2019 5:32 AM

R18 Steak and mashed potatoes. You know, health food.

R25 That made me burst out laughing.

by Anonymousreply 27October 8, 2019 5:37 AM

That's a gigantic steak.

by Anonymousreply 28October 8, 2019 12:19 PM

Class was a renown drug taker. Some get skinny from drugs. Some get bloated.

by Anonymousreply 29October 8, 2019 12:25 PM

*Cass

by Anonymousreply 30October 8, 2019 12:25 PM

Mama Cass would eat whatever was on John, Denny and Michelle's plate

by Anonymousreply 31October 8, 2019 12:28 PM

Chrissy Metz’ leftovers.

by Anonymousreply 32October 8, 2019 12:43 PM

No such things, r32.

by Anonymousreply 33October 8, 2019 12:49 PM

True Fear. Can you imagine being a cheeseburger on a plate in front of her?

by Anonymousreply 34October 8, 2019 12:58 PM

[quote] She would have tried Weight Watchers and lost the weight had she lived.

What an odd statement. How do you know? And Weight Watchers has been around since the 1960's, so she DID live when it was here and she DIDN'T try it.

by Anonymousreply 35October 8, 2019 1:05 PM

A whole cow everyday.

by Anonymousreply 36October 8, 2019 1:20 PM

[quote]Mama Cass was not that big....she was no bigger than Adele. The 60s fashion made her look bigger.

That's not true, Cass was much fatter. Adele is big boned so she looks fatter than she actually is. She's just a sturdy girl with a few extra pounds. Cass was pure fat and she was short so it made it worse.

by Anonymousreply 37October 8, 2019 2:27 PM

Steak with mashed potatoes and gravy R18. Looks like some wilted lettuce leaves too. Very typical for the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 38October 8, 2019 2:42 PM

Lots of pork chops and apple sauce.

by Anonymousreply 39October 8, 2019 5:01 PM

She could eat a whole Beach Boy in one sitting.

by Anonymousreply 40October 8, 2019 5:48 PM

I don't understand the hate for Cass Elliot in the Datalounge. She had a beautiful voice, she did NOT die choking on a ham sandwich and has been dead for 40 years! And, more importantly, she didn't pose in a bikini, like some deluded obese "models" today

by Anonymousreply 41October 8, 2019 7:02 PM

I don't think anybody is hating her dear R41. More like she's a role model for all of the XXXL sized caftan wearers

by Anonymousreply 42October 8, 2019 7:06 PM

And to add to r41’s post, she was pretty abused by another member of the band.

Remember the lyric, “and no one’s getting fat except Mama Cass”?

That was from her own group.

by Anonymousreply 43October 8, 2019 7:27 PM

If Mama Ass had just given that ham sandwich to Karen Carpenter ...

by Anonymousreply 44October 8, 2019 7:35 PM

^^ CASS

by Anonymousreply 45October 8, 2019 7:37 PM

[quote]Remember the lyric, “and no one’s getting fat except Mama Cass”?

Calm down, Dora! Back when the song was popular, "fat" meant getting rich.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 8, 2019 8:04 PM

[quote]Remember the lyric, “and no one’s getting fat except Mama Cass”?

Calm down, Dora. Back when this song was popular, getting fat meant getting rich.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 8, 2019 8:06 PM

Mama Ass is a great drag name!

by Anonymousreply 48October 8, 2019 8:19 PM

Mama Ass ate ass

by Anonymousreply 49October 9, 2019 12:48 AM

They meant it both ways R46, come on. It doesn't make any sense to have it mean only money because by the time the lyric does a turn-around and ends with "and everyone's getting fat except Mama Cass" she was making money, too. Unless they cut her out of Mamas & Papas profits and even if they did I doubt they'd sing about it.

by Anonymousreply 50October 9, 2019 9:46 AM

[quote]They meant it both ways [R46], come on. It doesn't make any sense to have it mean only money because by the time the lyric does a turn-around and ends with "and everyone's getting fat except Mama Cass" she was making money, too.

You're missing the point of the song because you don't understand the history of the times and how the group came together. The song ends before the group becomes successful.

Throughout the first part of the song, they are talking about how Cass was a rich Jewish princess. Her parents wanted her to go to Swarthmore, which was one of the liberal arts colleges where parents could send their daughters for an education, like Smith or Bowdoin. However, Cass wanted to be on Broadway so she moved to NYC.

The song goes through the entire history of different musical groups that John & Michelle Phillips interacted with. As the song ends, John, Michelle and Denny were coming together as a vocal group but were tired of the NYC scene. They decided to leave for the West Coast but Cass wanted to stay in NYC, still having dreams of Broadway.

"Everybody's getting fat except Mama Cass" refers to them going to LA to take the next step to stardom but Cass wasn't going to go with them. They're saying, "We're all going to get rich and have success, except for Cass who still thinks she has a Broadway career." The song ends by saying "California dreamin' is becoming a reality."

by Anonymousreply 51October 9, 2019 3:16 PM

Fun fact: Cass was one of the finalists considered to play Miss Marmelstein in "I Can Get It For You Wholesale." The part eventually went to an unknown actress named Barbra Streisand.

by Anonymousreply 52October 9, 2019 3:19 PM

Mama Cass should have sat on Barbra's face for stealing her role, R52.

by Anonymousreply 53October 9, 2019 3:26 PM

It's not a song about the "history of the times" r51 and your claim that it is sounds self-aggrandizing, as though you think your knowledge of this group makes you a historian. It just means you read Wikipedia.

You're in no position to analyze even the simplest lyric if you think the "fat" lyric didn't have a double meaning here. Of course it did. It wasn't only about money. They used that particular phrase about money and success because Cass was literally fat.

by Anonymousreply 54October 9, 2019 3:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!