Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Hudson River School

Anyone else a fan of this grand, pastoral movement?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 9, 2019 11:43 PM

Yes, huge fan. And many small museums have some good canvasses. Try to visit this one in the Catskills. Also the Catskills and Shawangunks are very hiking friendly so if you haven't yet, make time in your life for some very pleasant hikes. Now is a good time!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 7, 2019 9:36 PM

My husband's Great Great Uncle is a famous painter of the Hudson River School.

by Anonymousreply 2October 7, 2019 9:42 PM

Yes! I know a grandson of a Hudson school painter.

by Anonymousreply 3October 7, 2019 9:46 PM

Er, this school of painting ended before the 20th century! You don't know the grandson of a Hudson River School painter.

by Anonymousreply 4October 7, 2019 9:50 PM

That's so cool! Do you know which painters these people you know are associated with? Also, what are some of your favorite pieces? Artists?

R1 That looks lovely! I live all the way in Southern California, so I'm a good distance from the Catskills, but if I ever find my way out there, I'll be sure to hike and visit! We do have some Hudson River pieces here though. I remember seeing some at the Huntington Library and perhaps the LACMA? Anyway, they're gorgeous works!

by Anonymousreply 5October 7, 2019 9:51 PM

Go to Hudson and visit Olana.

Unfortunately, Hudson NY is infested with wanna be artists who might as well be drawing with crayons.

by Anonymousreply 6October 7, 2019 9:53 PM

More riparian than pastoral, actually.

And of course R6 needs a road map, an arts education and a calendar.

by Anonymousreply 7October 7, 2019 9:55 PM

R7 Yeah, riparian would probably be a better term for it. For whatever reason I've always associated pastoral with nature in a broad sense. Regardless, I love the word riparian.

by Anonymousreply 8October 7, 2019 9:59 PM

R8 = Hyacinth Bucket

by Anonymousreply 9October 7, 2019 10:03 PM

[quote] R4: Er, this school of painting ended before the 20th century! You don't know the grandson of a Hudson River School painter.

It’s possible. My much reported upon Grandpa Otto died in 1927. Not a painter, though.

by Anonymousreply 10October 7, 2019 10:05 PM

Would a Bierstadt be in this school? I have a couple of Bierstadt prints and I still love them after 20 years. I was thrilled to run into the original of one of them at the Smithsonian a couple years back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 7, 2019 10:09 PM

R11 he certainly painted pretty pictures!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 7, 2019 10:15 PM

Oops, Wikipedia says in the first paragraph that Bierstadt was indeed in this school. I love all his work. You can identify most of them because he always has a height (cliff or similar) on the right and left, with a valley in the middle where the action is.

This is one that I have.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 7, 2019 10:17 PM

Yes R11... R4 Mea Culpa... a great grandson. Always trust in DL for those Protestant Troubleshooters! I'm getting old, and grow more confused by the day... I also know a grandson of a New Hope School painter. R4 Many of us have better things to go about, rather than make up "talk story" on an anonymous forum.

by Anonymousreply 14October 7, 2019 10:18 PM

R13 et al, yes, Bierstadt's work is magnificent! An iconic example of this movement. His work has always felt so... fantastical to me... so triumphant, his depiction of nature. He really captures how romantic that imagery feels.

by Anonymousreply 15October 7, 2019 10:21 PM

No. No! Do not go to Hudson University. Do not let your children go there. It’s a cesspool of rape and murder!

by Anonymousreply 16October 7, 2019 10:24 PM

Incidentally, my Bierstadt prints are, maybe, 2-1/2’ x 3-1/2”; but the original I saw in the Smithsonian was maybe 8’ x 12’. Just beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 17October 7, 2019 10:24 PM
by Anonymousreply 18October 7, 2019 10:41 PM

Just like Impressionism, the Hudson River School was foisted upon them as a despairingly aimed term, but stuck when no other emerged.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 7, 2019 11:11 PM

Now that I live in the Hudson Valley (New Paltz), I am lucky to see the beauty of this area portrayed by these painters.

by Anonymousreply 20October 7, 2019 11:43 PM

I think Bierstadt mostly painted Yosemite.

by Anonymousreply 21October 7, 2019 11:45 PM

There are a lot of trails in the Gunks that have that craggy rocked landscape with tiny creeks.

by Anonymousreply 22October 7, 2019 11:45 PM

I'm happy to see that my appreciation for the style is shared by others!

More pictures!

I love this one. The clouds tower like mountains.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 8, 2019 1:02 AM

Here's another stunning piece by the same artist, Frederic Church. The one below seems way more sophisticated. I wonder if it was done later in his career. The colors are so intense, and as a Southern Californian who's seen a lot of shit burn, that's honestly a perfect rendition of how smoke diffuses the sun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 8, 2019 1:05 AM

R25, I wonder if he actually travelled to Ecuador or whether that painting cane from his imagination?

by Anonymousreply 25October 8, 2019 1:07 AM

Found this:

[quote]From 1853-1857 Church visited South America twice and the influence of this trip became the catalyst for some of his greatest landscapes, including Cotopaxi. In his earlier depictions of the volcano, Church depicts it in a snowy state, with a tropical landscape below it. This benign position indicates a calm and tranquil scene that would be abandoned by Church in his second rendering of the painting in 1862. By 1862 our nation was entrenched in a civil war that was growing more and more bloody. In Church’s work, we see his vision of America at this tumultuous time being expressed through the eruption of a Volcano. Thus Cotopaxi is not a painting about a battle during the civil war or the war itself, it is a landscape depiction influenced by the war.

Seems like he saw the location firsthand. Here's his other depiction of the volcano.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 8, 2019 1:12 AM

Thanks so much, R26. I’ve visited that volcano, and it doesn’t have anything tropical in its surroundings. That’s what made he wonder whether he actually visited it. Sign of a true artistic sensibility that he uses reality as a starting off point to twice create his own, and distinct, visions. I’m going to read more about him. Again thanks.

by Anonymousreply 27October 8, 2019 1:17 AM

They wanted to show tropical to alpine in the same majestic sweep.

by Anonymousreply 28October 8, 2019 1:31 AM

We (kinda?) have that in Palm Springs... or well, you can at least see palm trees and snowy alpine mountains in one view.

by Anonymousreply 29October 8, 2019 1:33 AM

The western side of the Hudson River is desperately depressing.

The eastern is where the classy people live.

by Anonymousreply 30October 8, 2019 3:20 PM

Oy Gevalt R30.

by Anonymousreply 31October 9, 2019 4:38 PM

Albert Bierstadt is best known for his paintings of the American west, so I don't suppose he really belongs in the "Hudson River" school. I think he's more of a one-off.

And thank you, R24, that painting is awesome and I've never seen it before! Because yeah, that is exactly how smoke from a huge wildfire affects sunlight - it turns light orange and shadows blue. Hell, I've even seen it turn the rising moon bright pink, the smoke interferes with the normal spectrum of light somehow. I've never seen that light in a painting before, and rarely in photographs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 9, 2019 11:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!