Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Capucine

I thought she was so beautiful in Pink Panther. She played Inspector Clouseau's wife, completely unbelievable because she was such a beauty and he was so ridiculous and inept.

I just learned she committed suicide.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 7, 2019 7:56 PM

She was 57 or 62, depending on the article. She died in 1990 after jumping from her apartment building in Switzerland where she'd been a recluse for a number of years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 7, 2019 2:11 AM

Wasn't she a beard for Dirk Bogarde, or am I thinking of someone else?

by Anonymousreply 2October 7, 2019 2:12 AM

I don't know, maybe both lover and beard. He was gay, so probably beard. It's rumored she was bi and after an early, short first marriage with no children, never married again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 7, 2019 2:20 AM

R2, Supposedly, Bogarde was quite smitten with his "Song Without End" co-star and asked her to marry him. Capucine likely knew she wasn't man enough for him and said no.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 7, 2019 2:22 AM

Cap-ooh-seen?

Cap-uh-cheen?

by Anonymousreply 5October 7, 2019 2:26 AM

r5 cap-you-seen

by Anonymousreply 6October 7, 2019 2:33 AM

I guess the voiceover artist mispronounces it here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 7, 2019 2:39 AM

She's in an episode of Murder She Wrote, with Cesar Romero.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 7, 2019 2:45 AM

r7 Yes, he does.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 7, 2019 2:47 AM

I have a weakness for WALK ON THE WILD SIDE, a deliciously awful movie. Capucine and a young Jane Fonda are both gorgeous and sexy and Babs Stanwyck is dykeing it up fabulously.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 7, 2019 2:49 AM

Capucine = gay as a John Deere tractor

by Anonymousreply 11October 7, 2019 2:53 AM

There have been rumors for years that Capucine was a man, a transsexual, had an operation, was a lesbian, etc. We'll probably never know the truth but she was an unusual person who had a tormented inner being and finally killed herself.

by Anonymousreply 12October 7, 2019 3:00 AM

Capucine back in the day. Her face was a bit horsey and even a director commented on it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 7, 2019 3:02 AM

R12, she was bisexual and mentally ill. Both are facts.

by Anonymousreply 14October 7, 2019 3:03 AM

Did she have more than one expression?

by Anonymousreply 15October 7, 2019 3:06 AM

Walk on the Wild Side has an incredible opening title sequence. With the great cast listing, swanky cat, fantastic music, and gorgeous black and white photography it all leads you to believe that you’re about to see a classic movie.

Then, right after the ‘Directed by Edward Dmytryk‘ fades, the whole thing falls apart. But the title sequence is perfect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 7, 2019 3:07 AM

Yikes! Was she off her meds?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 7, 2019 3:08 AM

The battery pack in her ‘headdress’ enabled her earrings to pick up transmissions from the mother ship.

by Anonymousreply 18October 7, 2019 3:13 AM

William Holden left her money in his will. Rather unusual to leave Ex lovers money in your will, they must have remained quite close.

by Anonymousreply 19October 7, 2019 3:15 AM

I never knew about her - but loved her in Pink Panther. Thanks for the tip OP

by Anonymousreply 20October 7, 2019 3:16 AM

R16 Walk On The Wild Side was Barbara Stanwyck's first film in 5 years after having last appeared in the film 40 Guns in 1957.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 7, 2019 3:17 AM

Jane Fonda IS Kitty Twist....

Dove Linkhorn : What are you doing here, Kit?

Kitty Twist : I run the candy concession.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 7, 2019 3:23 AM

Doing the arithmetic Capucine was only 35 in Pink Panther. Claudia Cardinale as the princess was 25 but she could pass as Capucine's daughter

by Anonymousreply 23October 7, 2019 3:27 AM

When I listened to the 'Judy at Carnegie Hall' album, she mentioned something about a ' very chic' French friend in who gave her some fashion advice. I always thought it was Capucine to whom she was referring, and it was when she was making the movie with Dirk Bogarde.

The E! True Hollywood Story about her was entertaining. Narrated by sleazy A.J. Benza, it included an interview with Helen Gurley Brown in which she gushed about Cappy's beauty, another with her grizzled old ex-husband, and one with Hubert de Givenchy in which he spins a tale of the doomed live affair between middle-aged Cappy and a young male lover who was a Romanoff.

Capucine was the 'girlfriend' of producer Charles Feldman, who was a Harvey Weinstein type. He produced 'What's New, Pussycat?', in which Cappy had a part. Woody Allen and others apparently ridiculed her for it, but then the tables were turned when Allen asked them to give his girlfriend Louise Lasser a small part in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 24October 7, 2019 3:36 AM

R12, the transsexual rumors stem from the fact that there was another performer who went by the name Capucine, a female impersonator at Le Carrousel in Paris, who frequently appeared alongside other celebrated trans performers, Coccinelle and Bambi. This Capucine underwent a sex change operation in 1960 and retreated from public life.

When Capucine, the actress, took her own life in 1990, some people conflated her with her transgender namesake, claiming she was distraught over her gender identity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 7, 2019 3:41 AM

I see a resemblance between her and Emily Blunt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 7, 2019 4:56 AM

Capucine's Grecian goddess gown in "Walk on the Wild Side" is glorious. Had it been in a better film, that dress would be legendary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 7, 2019 5:17 AM

I LOVE the music and opening graphics of the 1963 Pink Panther.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 7, 2019 6:22 AM

I thought she was gorgeous. Kind of high society beauty.

by Anonymousreply 29October 7, 2019 6:42 AM

She made most of her money though when she invented cappuccino in 1952.

by Anonymousreply 30October 7, 2019 7:05 AM

Who is the man next to her? Trè hot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 7, 2019 7:40 AM

She was beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 32October 7, 2019 7:45 AM

R17 Actors dressed how Fellini told them too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 7, 2019 7:57 AM

I love her look. A patrician beauty. It's a shame she was such a mess. I've had my own struggles, so when someone has such troubles with their mental health - I feel especially bad.

by Anonymousreply 34October 7, 2019 7:57 AM

She had a resemblance to Ava Gardner.

by Anonymousreply 35October 7, 2019 8:05 AM

She was a fashion model in Paris back in the day, and her looks and were very haute monde.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 7, 2019 8:05 AM

So what were her problems? Any of you know what her antics were like?

by Anonymousreply 37October 7, 2019 8:07 AM

[quote] She had a resemblance to Ava Gardner

Apparently Blake Edwards agreed.

With just two weeks to go before shooting begun, the producers decided that Ava Gardner's erratic lifestyle could affect filming and decided not to offer her the part of Madame Clouseau. Capucine was hired in a hurry, but Peter Ustinov's wife felt this would affect the calibre of the production and told him to withdraw . From this chaos, Peter Sellers became an international superstar.

by Anonymousreply 38October 7, 2019 9:00 AM

Thank you r25, I remember hearing that rumor when Capucine died when I was in high school and I've always wondered where it came from. I want to say I heard it on a TV show but surely not.

by Anonymousreply 39October 7, 2019 9:09 AM

Tasteful friends,

It would be remiss of us not to remind you that DL's Capucine Stan is a grosse connasse.

Veuillez agréer, Messieurs, l'expression de nos sentiments distingués.

The Gong Li Stan, Sharon Tate Stan, Liv Ullmann Stan, Willy Cartier Stan and the Gia Carangi Stan

by Anonymousreply 40October 7, 2019 10:49 AM

R21, Stanwyck was wisely transitioning to television from the late 1950s on, in fact, most of her roles in TV westerns were better than in her mid-60s hit The Big Valley. She also had her own 30 min anthology program in 1960-61. It wasn't like Stanwyck was sitting on her ass waiting for the phone to ring between Forty Guns and Walk on the Wild Side.

Capucine said she would have welcomed a kissy love scene with Stany in Wild Side, but, alas, it wasn't a European art film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 7, 2019 3:31 PM

I always thought Christy Turlington resmebled Capucine.

by Anonymousreply 42October 7, 2019 4:07 PM

R17, that hideous costume is from the hideous 70s film version of "Satyricon". She's playing a decadent and grotesque Roman matron at a decadent and grotesque event, so I presume the makeup was deliberately hideous.

Capuchine's looks lasted into midlife, and she probably would have been a stunning old woman if she'd lived longer. Her bone structure was that good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 7, 2019 5:48 PM

She had lesbian love scenes in several movies, I've seen clips but don't remember the titles.

by Anonymousreply 44October 7, 2019 5:50 PM

Fraulein Doktor with Suzy Kendell was a good one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 7, 2019 6:21 PM

Capucine was always good with Ricciarelli.

by Anonymousreply 46October 7, 2019 6:23 PM

Thanks R38

by Anonymousreply 47October 7, 2019 7:30 PM

Her younger sister, Mochaccine, was pretty hot, too.

by Anonymousreply 48October 7, 2019 7:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!